Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

There were several Power Rangers games in the 16-bit era of gaming, and this is the one that's not a beat 'em up or fighting game. Well, kinda. It's an action-platformer, but there is a lot of punching and slashing. Its most defining feature is probably how incredibly mild it all is. Mildly aggressive enemies, mildly interesting boss patterns, and mildly challenging platforming. I feel confident that nearly anyone familiar with games could finish it in just a couple tries.

Why Let's Play it?

Because it's fun, and it's one of the very first 16-bit games I've ever completed. It may not be particularly remarkable, but it is remarkably fair. You could mistake its ease of play for something made by today's standards, and I have a soft spot for old games that feel more like new ones, because they just seem so out of place. And I really, really want to talk about the game's design.

So let's stop Rita Repugnant.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am somewhat excited to see the movie next month.

I am pretty hype. Ideally it will feature several cameos of Ivan Ooze.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

I'm still not sure what to think about the new movie. Eh, we'll see I guess.

I'm not familiar with this particular Power Rangers game; I never had an SNES growing up, so the ones I wound up playing were the Genesis games. One of those is just an arena fighter type thing and I don't remember much about it. The other one's based on the original Power Rangers movie; it's somewhat more like this one gameplay-wise but it's also got some lore that was cut from the movie integrated into it, so I find it a little more interesting.

You mean the beat 'em up, right?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Genocyber posted:

I remember enjoying this game via emulation a few years ago. It's not very challenging but it's pretty fun for how simple it is.

It's worth noting that Natsume, the developer, also made a non-licensed version of this game called Ninja Warriors (that's apparently also a remake of a Taito arcade game of the same name, according to Wikipedia).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD2ym2HTlRE

I'm curious if you're familiar with it or not. It's pretty much this game but more challenging and more involved mechanically.

I was aware of Ninja Warriors, but I never noticed the similarities, I should give it a try.

mandatory lesbian posted:

it will be trash but i really hope it'll be able to be good trash, much like the original power rangers

It will be better than VR Troopers.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

PureRok posted:

Ha, I was just thinking about this game earlier today and thinking I should replay it. Now I don't have to!

I am glad that my LP timing was convenient!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Ah yeah, loved this game as a kid. Played it a few months back when I found my old SNES and games.

It seems like it would've been a good game to play back then, it really rewards the player for aggression.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

I mean, it's a low bar, is what I'm saying.

That was also the intent of my joke

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

So is Gnarly Gnome a garden gnome?

mandatory lesbian posted:

ya know i just thought about it, and zardon has a weird definition of "with attitude" considering all the teens are charity-workers and the first few seasons were kind of moralizing at times

Geostomp posted:

I just want to see if the movie actually manages to deliver on the "with attitude" line.

Apparently he meant "can-do attitude"

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

I loved the Power Rangers so much. As a kid I think we only had the fighting game. I'm heavily considering picking up that new side-scroller that came out since it's got a 4 player deal going on.

Oh hey, I actually own that! It's a pretty good beat 'em up, just don't expect stellar production values.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

whitehelm posted:

The Genesis game, or the actual "fighting edition"?

Hopefully not the Genesis one.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Calax posted:

Bulk is still doing TV work Mostly Power Rangers related (He had a string of cameo's in one of the most recent seasons). Skull, however, is a PHD in theater for Shakespear and Westerns, and can no longer do the laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVKLYYYe23w A panel from them from 2011.

Westerns? Yeah, I recall seeing Bulk make an appearance in Power Rangers Samurai.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

I might need to catch up on the franchise or that was a typo.

It is a mystery which.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Maybe it's a satire of the kind of movie you hope it isn't.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Who's up for a little swim through the sewer?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Elentor posted:

Man you just sent me in a trip to the 90's.

Depending on where exactly you live, all of VRTroopers and Big Bad Beetleborgs are on Netflix. I wouldn't personally recommend watching them, but maybe it'd be fun just for the nostalgia.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

I think there's a mode where you can play as the Megazord and fight a monster, and it's a two-player fighting game. Either that, or it's a cheat code.

It was a cheat code, the game gives it to you when you finish it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Calax posted:

Fun thing to do, if you watch the second season you can see where they started using characters who'd never really fought that particular power rangers group (it's all shots so you never have to see the bad guy actually fighting the rangers in their suits, until Zords)

Oh dear, that's pretty special.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Doseku posted:

Do you have any plans to play the new power rangers game?

I absolutely do! Mega Battle is a beat 'em up, after all, and it's pretty drat fun.

DeathChicken posted:

Wow, that whole axe versus floaty eye fight brought back memories of Astyanax

The arcade or NES version?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh man. I played this game as a kid. Just seeing it is bringing me memories, good times.

That said, I sure as hell didn't realize how lazy the Rangers themselves look. At least the three shown are all recolours of the same sprite (Red's) without the helmet differences each Ranger had. Lazy!

You're about to find out if the pink ranger is any different.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I don't recall making any wishes for painful death.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I have to genuinely question the use of the Power Bow as a sword.

Well using it as a bow certainly wasn't helping.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

That boss has too many attacks for this game. Too much effort.

He's pretty cool!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

It was definitely the Genesis one. I remember being pretty drat hype when we unlocked the Green Ranger. That's all I really remember.

How would you rate the Green Ranger?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I will say that the movie did make the Rangers, Zords, Putties, and Alpha sufficiently alien looking.

Is Zordon still just a floating hologram head?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Where the gently caress even are we?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Some sort of lab, it seems. It gave me a very Mega Man X5/X6 vibe, especially with the giant laser.

Can you also pass through the laser while it's still firing in Megaman? That sounds like it'd be great for speedrunning.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

bman in 2288 posted:

I'm kind of sad you aren't showing off the extra moves. Sure, they aren't necessary, but they're pretty fun and can make the rangers surprisingly mobile.

The what?

Discendo Vox posted:

I think the weird screen just before 6:00 with the two low-health putties actually lets you throw the computer monitors in the foreground there.

It's weird that I never considered to check that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

bman in 2288 posted:

Oh yeah. Backflips, bouncing off of enemies, air throws, there's more to the combat and movement system than you've shown off thus far.

Oh, those. I did consider showing air throws but second nature takes over and I just do what's most convenient.

SonicRulez posted:

I don't remember, so I sought the game out to see how far I could get. I beat the fucker (on like my 3rd or 4th attempt) and then lost to the Dragonzord which boots you back to the fight with Tommy. Nope. That game is very not fun.

I did not much care for it either.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Cyclopsis is a silly name

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

you can't just suddenly substitute the entire gameplay for the final two bosses.

Natsume disagrees strongly. At least in future Power Rangers games they developed, the Megazord Battles were more consistent.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

Zack looks like a puffer fish when the rangers are in the car during the credits.

Spritework is hard.

Carbon dioxide posted:

What's the numbers at the end? Secret passcodes?

Also thanks for showing off this game.

They enable you to play the Megazord battles in 2-player versus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

Holy poo poo, that Zack sprite is...troubling.

I was trying not to comment on it.

• Locked thread