Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

OOC Thread
String Sheet

It's been nine days since Garth MacDonald's death, and an uneasy pall still hangs over Canaan South High School. All of last week was consumed by the murder -- the grief counselors the school brought in, the plainclothes cops asking questions and wandering around the grounds, the sudden outbreaks of crying in the hallway -- but the dominant tone has never been grief, really. How could it have been? Instead, people are nervous, on edge, perhaps even actively afraid. The news has gone around that Garth was beaten and strangled before he fell off the roof, and it's impossible to miss the bloodstain on the asphalt from the student parking lot. Even a few half-attempts at parties over the weekend didn't really get off the ground. These are bad times.

Believe me, you know that much.

It's Monday, though, and time for homeroom. Your homeroom teacher is Mrs. Malcolm, a new hire this year who teaches several periods of low-level and remedial science. Frankly, she seems bored and antsy, and she's offered her help with any science homework problems, regardless of class or level, which is kind of a weird amount of outreach for a senior homeroom teacher at Canaan South. Her classroom is old, small, and windowless, but extensively decorated with science gadgets, particularly biological specimens. Someone's turned the jarred specimens to face the wall, though; who wants to be stared at by the dead?

The announcements are largely mundane things today, thankfully; last week's announcements were full of notes on new security measures being taken. Check-outs with ID for leaving campus for lunch. Verified parking for the student parking lot. Security theater, probably, but it's still there. Funny how nobody seemed all that comforted...

Everyone

How did you spend your weekends? Have you sorted out your story about Homecoming night, and who have you collaborated with on that, if anyone? How are your nerves doing?

Sarabeth

You're feeling... restless? Itchy? Empty? Just how do you feel when the moon is full and you think things are about to get bad, anyway? Because that's how you're feeling now. You have to work tonight, too, and there's something your dad asked you about. What was that?

Karin

Which of the new security measures is the biggest issue for you? The subdued vibe this past week or so has been a problem... you're getting hungry. How do you intend to deal with that? I mean, it's Race Night at the Runza, but the racing's probably gonna be poo poo...

Noah

You were always a little invisible at school, but in the school week since you've died, it feels... different now. How do you feel about that? Someone seems to have noticed you, though -- there's a note on your desk. Who's it from, and what does it say?

Lucas

It's still a solid two months before the season starts, but Coach is calling an organizational meeting tonight. What is it about, do you think? Tyler's usually joking around with the two dudes who sit in front of you in class, Michael and Hunter, and today is no different. Suddenly, you... well, you know Tyler is afraid. Terrified. How do you know? What do you do?

MC highlights time:
Sarabeth highlights Dark
Karin highlights Hot
Noah highlights Cold
Lucas highlights Dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Sarabeth Blakesley
Hot 1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 2 | Dark -1
Conditions: N/A | Harm: 0/4 | Experience: 0=0/5

I never used to dream like this. I wasn't the kind of person who had dreams, period. Maybe I'd wake up feeling weird, sometimes, or I'd know it was something about school or whatever, but it wasn't like this.

In my dreams, I'm running. I'm not wearing clothes, but I'm not naked--or I don't feel naked, anyway. I'm in the woods. Those woods. Something is chasing me, it's hunting me, I can--hear it, I can smell it. Like old blood, pine needles. And I could be scared, I know that. I know that maybe I even should be scared, but I'm not. I feel...I feel strong. I feel like I could run forever--but I won't, because it thinks it's chasing me, but really? I'm leading it where I want it to be. When we get there, I'm going to turn around, and I'm going to--

I don't know what I'm going to do. I wake up. I haven't slept more than three or four hours at a time all weekend. Not like last weekend--I couldn't sleep then, either, but that was different. I was tired from not sleeping then. I'm not tired now. I'm pretty much everything but tired.

I fixed the kitchen faucet this morning. Then I cleaned the kitchen. Then, just because, I ran two miles before I drove everyone to school. My hair is still wet from the shower.

I still can't sit still, right now, and if I don't figure out a way to calm down pretty soon I...think I might punch Shelby in the back of her stupid goddamn head if she says one more goddamn word about her stupid, lovely boyfriend and his stupid, lovely new quad. That, or I'm going to shove one of the guys into a bathroom and--I squirm in my seat, closing my eyes. It doesn't help. It's not the things I see that are driving me crazy.

I run my fingers under the edge of my desk, feeling the years of graffiti and chips under there, and breathe out. I need to focus. I need to get my head right. I need--I need to be in control of this before I go in tonight. Dad needs...

He asked why I haven't been sleeping. I should have been quieter, sneaking out of the house. He didn't say he was worried, but I mean...it's not like he had to. If Becky was acting like me, I'd be freaking out. I've been so weird all summer, and now it's worse, and this full moon has been--it's been crazier than usual. It was one more problem I didn't have time for, so I--I snapped at him, before I left this morning. I told him it was none of his business. That I'm fine. He said we're going to talk when I get home, because that's...really what I need, right now.

I wish--

It's not like he knows I have other things I have to deal with. It's fine. It's fine. Everything is going to be fine.

I just have to stay on top of it.

Speaking of...

quote:

you wanna talk to him today?

Passing notes is pretty second grade, but I've seen enough TV to know that cops can search through your texts now. I'm also pretty sure that's how Steven got busted a couple years ago, that thing with the cops and the dogs. So I scribble that out in my notebook and rip it off, then lean over to Karin.

"Hey. Did you get your homework done for fifth?" I put my hand on her desk, the note cupped underneath, and leave it behind when I sit back. I can't help looking at Lucas when I do. He blew me off, before, and I was too...I was too much a lot of things to push on it. Right now? Right now, I think--Lucas is going to make some time out of his precious goddamn schedule to talk about Garth.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Hot: 0 | Cold: 1 | Volatile: 1 | Dark: -1
Harm:0/4 Exp: 1/5 Conditions:

Scratch, scratch.

My left hand is itchy. I can't stop scratching it.

It's always been like this, even before I died, before I had this new hand sewed onto me. Anytime I'd feel restless, or agitated, my left hand would get itchy, and I'd scratch it until the flesh turned red.

I need it. I need to experience that feeling again, but I haven't any opportunities to do so the whole loving weekend. I usually get my fix during the races, but those have turned into a loving joke. How the poo poo is anyone expected to get a decent race in that place? loving Ian.

Scratch, scratch.

What about parties? Yea, turns out nobody's in the loving mood to party after a death, so I had to spend my entire loving weekend, at loving home, doing loving nothing.

Scratch, scratch.

And what's worse is we've got Big Brother hanging out with us at school. You can't take a loving piss without a security guard watching your back. The worst thing is all those metal detectors they've got set up now. I can't go a single goddamn morning without setting one of those goddamn things off because whoever stitched me together forgot to take out all the goddamn metal bits inside of me.

Scratch, scratch, scratch.

I can't stand this. Any of this. I need to do something before I go loving crazy! Something to break up this loving monotony! And I'm certainly not loving getting it from the loving race tracks tonight! AGH! I can't STAND this! I feel like I'm going to loving BURST!

Scratchscratchscratchscratch.

I snap out of my thoughts after I hear Sarabeth's voice, "Huh?" I turn to look at her, and in that one moment, seeing her face was enough to calm my nerves down. I look down and see the crumpled note she left on my desk, and take a quick look at it under my desk. After reading the note, I look back at her, and nod my head, letting her know that, yea, I would like to talk to Lucas today.

Hm, I should probably say something back so nobody would get suspicious. "Nah, I didn't get much time to work on it, but," I brush my hair back out of my face, and lean in a little closer to her, "If you could help me finish it, I'd really appreciate it." I smile at her.

quote:

<Hugzilla> Karin turn on Sarabeth
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 8 = 8

String/Promise/Self!

Also marking XP for hot!

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Hot 1 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 0
Harm: 0/4 | EXP: 0/5 | Conditions:

Antivehicular posted:

Everyone

How did you spend your weekends? Have you sorted out your story about Homecoming night, and who have you collaborated with on that, if anyone? How are your nerves doing?

Lucas

It's still a solid two months before the season starts, but Coach is calling an organizational meeting tonight. What is it about, do you think? Tyler's usually joking around with the two dudes who sit in front of you in class, Michael and Hunter, and today is no different. Suddenly, you... well, you know Tyler is afraid. Terrified. How do you know? What do you do?

I spent my time here and there. There wasn't much going on. I went to some of those parties even if I gave up drugs and alcohol. They were sad in every sense of the word. 8 or 9 depressed people drinking in a circle, no thanks. I didn't want to spend any time alone thought: Go out for lunch and dinner with friends, stay at the rec center until they closed, call my friends in other states until I pass out around two AM. I had a lot of time to think about my story and what I think happened. Me and my team met the day after homecoming to talk about it. They all told me we were with Jaylen and the cheerleaders the entire night. They told me we hung out on the roof for a little and headed back in before we got soaked. I feel like that isn't the whole truth and my dreams definitely say otherwise but I don't know if I care. Them and Jaylen were willing to corroborate my story, whatever it might be; probably the one I've been told. And if that is enough, then maybe the actual truth doesn't matter. Five of the most well-liked, charismatic people in town all have the same truth. Oh, I had Jaylen over and I talked it over with him by the way. He said he'd get the girls who were with us to do the same. The only night I sleep well was when he was there. Anyway, all things considered, I think I'm okay. Voices in my head and bad dreams not withstanding. I might even sleep before 1 tonight.

Stalker girl Sara tried to talk to me about that night too. No, as if I'd meet with her. It was an in the moment thing sure but she still freaks me out and right now she looks manic. But maybe it's worth investigating. Might as well see what she wants to talk about - stalker or not, I'm sure I can take her and if she attempts anything it'd make her a prime suspect. Then again, curiosity killed the cat and I think a lack of sleep is effecting my good judgement.

In other news, Coach called for a meeting later. Hopefully it means we've picked the replacement forward. Maybe we can get a few games in and start building some chemistry. It's a little early but I'd rather learn who I'm playing with now rather than later. Don't want to start the season as complete strangers. Wait- I'm feel a chill coming up my spine but it's not- I'm not afraid. I look over at Tyler, his leg is bouncing. He gets restless when he's nervous. During our playoff run last year he would pace the room or squirm if he had to sit still. Even then, it's like Tyler is in my head telling me he's afraid. This goes beyond being close friends, this is- well, this is insane. My brain probably picked the best time for a mental breakdown. Still, I have a friend to check on. I reach my hand out and lightly tap him on the back, "Hey Tyler, what's up? You have a good weekend?"

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 12, 2017

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Sarabeth Blakesley

"...yeah."

Oh, Jesus, Sarabeth. No. Bad girl. Sit.

There's nothing wrong with it. Or Karin. There's definitely nothing wrong with Karin, okay? But I'm not...it's not my thing. Yeah, girls are pretty, everyone knows that. But that doesn't mean I'm into it, I just--I can notice. I can notice, and right now I'm noticing the poo poo out of her.

"Uh. Yeah. Later? I have work after school, so...do you want to meet up in a spare?" I breathe out slow, dragging my eyes off of her neck (which, what the hell?) back up to her eyes. "I could skip something."

I don't think she actually wants to talk about homework, but I'll still skip. It's not like I mind spending time with her.

As long as I can keep from being so loving weird about it.

Promising something I think she wants.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

My grin grows even wider from her response. The thought of spending time with Sarabeth is enough to make me forget about this entire lovely week. Oooh, and the way she's looking at me. It's getting me really excited now.

Let's have a little more fun with this.

"Great! We can talk about it after class! And, uh, hey, Sarabeth?" I scoot up a little closer to her, and place my non-gloved hand on top of hers, "I really appreciate it, you know? You taking the time to help me? It means a lot," I slowly lean in closer, and closer to her, "Maybe, after we're done," I brush my lips against her ear, and whisper, "I can show you how appreciative I can be."

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Sarabeth Blakesley

I don't know what the hell kind of noise I just made, but it definitely was too loud. Too loud, and too much like...a growl, all right?

I jerk away from her hand and her soft mouth at my ear, and I know my face is turning that stupid blotchy red it gets when I'm embarrassed. I yank my hood up over my damp hair and hunch over my desk, biting the inside of my cheek.

"--you don't have to--" Oh, God, does she think she owes me? After what I did to her? That she has to make me happy, or--

"Just--just--we'll talk. Later." I can't look at her at all now. Is that what she thinks I'm like? Or...is that what I am like, now, because I definitely thought about--

I've never wanted a teacher to start talking more in my life.

<TinyDeer> Sarabeth shut down Karin
<TinyDeer> ! r2d6-1
<TinyDeer> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> TinyDeer, 7-1 = 6

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Karin and Sarabeth

Amazing how complicated conversations like this can get, isn't it? How readily people can get flustered, just what people will protest about? Karin, tell me -- do you think Sarabeth's uptight, maybe, or just protesting too much?

Karin, please give Sarabeth a condition.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Malcolm isn't paying a whit of attention; it looks like she's helping Parker with his Anatomy/Physiology homework up front. You may need a different escape plan, Sarabeth, if you plan to escape...

Lucas

"What? Nah, man, it's fine." Tyler seems to be answering a question you didn't quite ask. "Weekend was okay, yeah..."

"'Okay?'" says Michael, in the front, with a nigh-feral grin. "Dude, that party was bangin'. You've gotta get us more of that poo poo, Daddy."

"Seriously," replies Hunter.

You... well, if there was a bangin' party this weekend and Tyler was there, you definitely weren't told about it, let alone any poo poo he may have brought. What do you make of that? Tyler's definitely looking uncharacteristically nervous...

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Jesus! What the hell was that sound she just made!? It was so.... forceful, so... feral, so... hot!

What do I think? I think Sarabeth needs to loosen up a little. Even before the whole... incident, she always looked like she was a hair's breadth away from a nervous breakdown. She needs to learn how to let herself go, how to really enjoy life, and I think I'm the perfect person to teach her how.

It's the least I could do for her after how much she's been helping me with... that.

"Yea, sure. We'll talk more later, but," I lean in a little closer, so I could look at her underneath her hood, "You really need to learn to relax, girl. You're always so wound up about... everything. There's no harm in letting yourself go once in a while, ya know?"

"Anyways, we can talk more about that later. We have more important things to worry about now, don't we?" I tilt my head in Lucas' direction, "Do you have any ideas?"

Giving Sarabeth the condition Wound Up

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Harm: 0/4 | EXP: 1/5 | Conditions:

"Hey, only I can call him that," I say jokingly trying to get a rise out of Tyler. C'mon smile drat it. "Anyway, at-least someone had a good weekend. What did you guys get up to? Tell me all the juicy details." Mike and Hunter are pretty cool dudes and I know that Tyler knows how to get up to trouble without me but I'm a little hurt that none of them thought to include me. Eh, maybe Tyler needed some space considering how clingy I've been to, uh, anyone willing. The boys laugh and start recounting the weekend but Tyler doesn't look great. Tell me what's going in that brain of yours Tyler. I'm looking for some sort of tell: A wave of the hand, a tilt of the head, anything to tell me he's fine. He's not giving me anything and it's starting to sound like he's speaking but I can see that he isn't.

Streaming Tyler
2d6+1: 8 [2d6=2, 5]
confusing

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 13, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Lucas

You're not getting a lot of tells from Tyler, beyond that he's nervous, but then you blink and you... see things. A party out somewhere in the darker, less-traveled sections of woods. People talking and laughing. You among them... or is that Tyler's viewpoint you're seeing there? Imagining there? There's a ziplock bag in your hands full of pills and some kind of shimmery powder...

What was I doing I should have thrown it out why the gently caress did I give it to them oh poo poo Chrissie! This is not funny THIS IS NOT FUNNY

-- Whoa, where did that come from? It almost sounds like Tyler was saying it, but he's closed-mouthed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Noah Feldman
Hot -1 | Cold +1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +2
Conditions: N/A | Harm: 0/4 | Experience: 1/5

I can't pretend I've been paying very close attention today. I don't know why the hell a ghost needs sleep, but of course, now that I finally don't have to worry about freezing to death or getting shanked by a hobo, I start having nightmares. Some of them are about that night, some of them are about... Hell, I guess. The kind Mom always threatened me with. All fire and gnashing of teeth and thinking Satan would be a pretty cool guy but it turns out he's just running a good cop/bad cop routine with the big man.

Man, I get loving weird when I'm tired.

Whatever, I'm just gonna stay in my corner and nobody's gonna- Oh, poo poo. Karin and Sarabeth are talking. Sara's a mess and Karin is... Karin. What the hell. Is Karin just rounding up everyone who was on the roof that night? I can't imagine a single situation where a conversation like this is going to turn out all hunky-dorey. So, what, am I just part of a club now? And I haven't seen hide or loving hair of Sarabeth since it happened, either.

quote:

Noah (PMush) - Today at 12:14 PM
/r 2d6+2
Rolling for Unresolved Trauma because I need to get involved somehow
SidekickBOT - Today at 12:14 PM
@Noah (PMush): 2d6+2 = (6+3)+2 = 11

Childhood friend my loving rear end. poo poo like this is when you learn what people are really about. The kind of people who let you fall off a goddamn roof.

Sarabeth and Karin both get the blamed condition.

"So, Karin." I bet I sound bitter. Vicious. Good. "How's your collection coming along? Should we get matching t-shirts? Maybe we can form a band, 'Crazy Bitch and the Rooftop Kids.'"

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 15, 2017

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Sarabeth Blakesley
Conditions: Wound up, blamed | Harm: 0/4 | Experience: 0=0/5

What are 'we' going to do about Lucas? She means: what are you going to do about about Lucas, and she knows it.

Yeah, maybe I'm wound up. Maybe when everybody makes their poo poo your problem you get a little loving tense. It doesn't help that people are looking--I know they are, even with my head down, I can feel it. I stare at Karin under my hair and I'm just--I'm okay. I can keep it together. It's not her job to be the responsible one, it's not what she's good at, and I know that. I can't get mad about something I already knew, right?

Then Noah opens his mouth.

The rage rips up the back of my throat like acid, curling into a thousand glass shards around my teeth, and I can barely see through the blur in my eyes. What is he loving doing? Right here, right now? Of all the loving times?

Sarabeth roll to run away
/r 2d6+2
@Sarabeth (TinyDeer): 2d6+2 = (3+4)+2 = 9

Make a big scene.

"gently caress you!" I'm on my feet, chair falling somewhere behind me, and gently caress Noah, and gently caress this--

I can't stay here. I can't stay here and pretend that my skin doesn't want to come off, I can't stay here with everyone watching me fall apart. I look so stupid when I'm mad, all blotchy red, and I always loving cry. I can feel the tears burning at the corners of my eyes as I snatch my books off the table and storm into the hallway with my head down.

I know when the locker rooms are empty, because it's a good place to get some sleep between class, and right now it's the only place I can think of where I can just be alone. I just need to be alone. I need to have some quiet and and I need to loving think. I slam through the swinging doors and drop my books on a bench on my way to one of the shower stalls. It's cool and dark there, at the back of the room, and I slide to the floor and bury my head in my arms.

I could cry now, if I wanted to, but it doesn't come. It just keeps burning at the back of my throat. But it's quiet here, at least. Maybe I can just stay here until lunch.

I can't believe I just did that. Maybe I am crazy and stupid.

Wound up. Yeah. My laugh echoes hollowly off the tile walls.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Harm: 0/4 | EXP: 2/5 | Conditions:

What was that? What just happened? Is this a dream? I pinch my arm. Yep, I'm awake. gently caress, I can't even put together what I just saw. Tyler, what did you do? I watch Tyler. I didn't think he dealt. Why am even accepting what I saw as fact? Why did I even see that? Okay, I'm asking too many questions I can't answer. Let's start with the immediate and work our way to the metaphysical. There's a few concrete facts to go on. I run my hand through my hair. Yeah, I can put this together- "Yo, Earth to Lucas. You awake?" Michael calls out.
"I think someone is still recovering from their weekend?" Hunter joins in. "Anything fun happened?"
"Trust me, my weekend would of put you to sleep," I reply.
"I doubt it. The Homecoming King didn't have some super secret party he went to? Don't hold out on us," Hunter says.
"If I told you, it wouldn't be super secret. I think a King is entitled to some secrets." I wink at them. Michael looks like he's about to protest when Sarabeth screams at Noah and runs out the room. Not talking to her later but this provides the perfect opportunity to pass a message. I lean closer to Tyler and whisper, "Hey T, do you think we can talk a little later, just you and me? You're looking a little stressed."

Manipulate Tyler
/r 2d6+1
2d6+1 = (6+4)+1 = 11
XP

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 16, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Harm:0/4 Exp: 1/5 Conditions: Blamed

"Sarabeth! Wait!" I uselessly reach out a hand to stop Sarabeth, but I'm too late. She's... gone.

If looks could kill, then the one I'd be giving Noah right now would have killed the already-dead boy 10x over. I could practically feel my blood boiling. What the gently caress, Noah?

"You" I spit out, as I get up from my seat. I stomp over to him, and grab the little poo poo by his shirt, and pull him in closer, "What THE gently caress is your problem, huh!? If you have a problem with me, then you can SAY IT to my loving FACE! And what the HELL did Sarabeth ever do TO YOU anyways!?"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Noah Feldman
Conditions: N/A | Harm: 0/4 | Experience: 1/5

"Fine. I have a problem with you."

quote:

Noah (PMush) - Today at 11:50 AM
Rolling to shut @Karin (Hugzilla) down
/r 2d6+1
SidekickBOT - Today at 11:51 AM
@Noah (PMush): 2d6+1 = (2+5)+1 = 8

Karin and Noah both lose a string on each other.

"Sure, you come up to me after I-" I almost say 'died' out loud. There's already a scene, this would not be a good time to let that slip. "-go through what I did, I thought 'fine, whatever, I'm a rebound, at least we have something in common.' But this? Somebody died, you crazy bitch, this isn't the time to start loving speed dating."

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 16, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Harm:0/4 Exp: 2/5 Conditions: Blamed

Something inside of snaps.

I raise my arm up, bring it back, and punch Noah right in his loving dead face, and watch as he falls on his rear end from the punch.

"You THINK I don't KNOW THAT!? You think I don't CARE!? Garth was MY FRIEND, you rear end in a top hat! Do you think I don't miss him!? OF-loving-COURSE I DO!" Are my eyes... actually welling up? Oh, God, no. Don't cry now, don't cry now, "...Of course I miss him..." So much for not crying, "I miss him... so much, and I.... I...."

..Oh, God.

I was the one who killed him. I did it. It was my fault. I'm the reason he's dead.

"I...I....I..."

Why did I do it? It was- it was because he killed Noah, right? That's the reason... right? What other reason could there be?

"I...."

I collapse onto my knees, and feel my entire body go limp. What the hell have I done?

quote:

Karin (Hugzilla) - Today at 12:15 AM
welp time for MORE BAD DECISIONS
Karin's going to Lash Out at Noah!
/r 2d6+1
SidekickBOT - Today at 12:15 AM
@Karin (Hugzilla): 2d6+1 = (4+3)+1 = 8

Noah gains a string on me, and he takes 1 harm.

Marking XP.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Everyone in Homeroom

"All right, that's enough."

Mrs. Malcolm is suddenly next to you, Karin and Noah. "Pick yourself up, Ms. Himura." She gives Noah a rather casual glance. "You and Mr. Feldman are both going to the principal's office." Another quick glance around the room, and she settles on the group in the front left. "Mr. Marques, would you care to escort them there?"

Noah

So, how lame is this? You're both getting in trouble together, when it's Karin who threw the drat punch! Speaking of which... how do you feel? Does it feel like taking a punch when you were alive? Mrs. Malcolm didn't look too concerned about how hurt you looked, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything...

Karin

Seriously, what the hell? Noah flagrantly picks a fight, and now you're going down together? Do you intend to let Lucas escort you to the principal's office, or do you have another plan?

Lucas

Tyler just nods to you. "Yeah, that'd be nice. Let's talk la..." He trails off as Mrs. Malcolm turns towards your group. Michael and Hunter, in their infinite if questionable wisdom, have sat up straight and are silent.

Great, now you're in this mess. Why do you think Mrs. Malcolm decided on you? Surely it must be your stellar reputation as Homecoming King and all-around hero of the senior class? You'll get those two idiots to the principal properly... or, uh, will you?

--

Sarabeth, Elsewhere

The locker rooms are comfortably empty, all cool metal and old tile, and whatever noises you choose to make now echo. You probably could stay here for a period or two, but gym classes will start before lunch and that might get awkward. On the other hand, there are certainly places in this old locker room where people don't go -- the shower room, for example, which is curtained off but otherwise open, meaning that nobody besides maybe the sports team ever actually uses it. Or there are toilet stalls, more than anyone ever uses at once. There are certainly places you can hide in here.

And speaking of that... you hear footsteps from down the hall, heading towards the door. Is it time to hide?

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Sarabeth Blakesley
Conditions: Wound up, blamed | Harm: 0/4 | Experience: 0=0/5

Someone followed me. Of course they did. I run my hands through my hair, messing it up even worse than it was before. This day is just going great.

I left my books out there. Goddrat it.

"Okay," I mutter, pushing my hood back, "Okay. Come on. Get up."

It's not like I was just going to get out of it that easy. I slide back up the wall reluctantly, taking a breath that's shakier than I want it to be. I need to figure out what I'm going to do, and I need to do it now--and that's when I catch sight of myself in one of the mirrors. My hair's a lost cause, my cheeks are red, and my mascara is already a little smeared like the store brand garbage it is. So I spit on my fingers and smear it some more.

I know it's hosed up. I killed him as much as she did. Every time someone says his name and I feel guilty--I feel guilty for feeling guilty. I feel guilty for this, because I don't get to feel bad about Garth being dead when it's my fault. I shouldn't even pretend to cry over him.

But I do a lot of hosed up things.

When whoever is coming walks in, I'm in front of one of the sinks, running cold water over my hands.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Noah Feldman
Conditions: N/A | Harm: 1/4 | Experience: 1/5

Getting punched didn't hurt as much as I thought it might. Everything else has been dulled, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that pain is, too. Still, I feel something, or at least my brain says it should. Something something Matrix, mind makes it real. Whatever. But now not only am I still stuck with Karen, now Mr. Perfect is coming along for the ride. At this rate, we might be able to get a whole reunion together. 'Crazy Bitch and the Rooftop Kids' is starting to sound like something that might actually happen.

Well, at least I figured out how to push some of Karin's buttons. That's gonna come in handy at some point.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

I smile at Tyler as my name gets called. Oh great. I thought being cool gets me out of stuff like this? "Not really," I mutter as I stand up, "Yeah, no problem Mrs. Malcolm." I walk over to the two idiots on the floor and offer my hands to help both of them off the floor, "C'mon, get up. We have somewhere to be." I lean closer to them and whisper, "Be cool for like 2 minutes so we can get out here." Considering we're still at DEFCON-4, I'd rather not run afoul of any of the school officials but- eh, I don't care. Anywhere but here is an improvement. I just need to walk to the Principal's office, they're free to follow and if they don't I say they ran off. I'm a student, not an armed guard and I doubt Mrs.M actually cares if they make it there. I doubt she cares if I come back. Maybe I'll visit Austin or David.

I look down at the two of them. I wonder if Garth would get a kick out of people coming to blows over him. His little lost puppy taking a punch from the school firecracker. It's been a while since I've seen Karin do anything crazy so that's refreshing. I wish whoever operated on her cared more about his craft. Her once beautiful face is now marred by some lovely stitching. Still, it's very her. And Noah. Noah, Noah, Noah. You were such a quiet kid, I couldn't even get you to smoke with us, who's this? Then again, I'm sure unrequited love is enough to break some people. I wouldn't know.

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 18, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Mrs. Malcolm's voice snaps me out of my stupor. "Going to the principal's office," huh? It's been a while since I've been told that. And here I thought I was losing my touch.

I'm not looking forward to spending more time with Noah. Who the gently caress does he think he is, mouthing me and Sarabeth off like that? I should break his drat nose next time.

I don't mind being stuck with Lucas. I was planning to talk to him about... that, anyways. Maybe I can convince him to skip out on going to the principal's office and have him help me find Sarabeth? It's worth a shot. Where the hell did that girl run off to?

Hmm, I forgot how good-looking Lucas was. It's been a while since we've had some... "alone" time together. Maybe, after we're done talking about the roof, we can all have a little... fun together.

...No! Bad Karin, bad! Now is not the time for something like that! It is really tempting, though.

I take Lucas' hand, and lift myself up back on my feet. I look at him, and say "Thanks," and flash a smile at him. The same smile I gave to him when we first met, before we... shared a moment together.

quote:

Can Karin turn on Lucas!?
/r 2d6
SidekickBOT - Today at 12:26 AM
@Karin (Hugzilla): 2d6 = (2+6) = 8

self/string/promise!

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 17, 2017

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Karin takes my hand and smiles. I know that smile. The first time we met, it was at some house party a few years ago. I was a few drinks in when she made the first move. She walked over and smiled just like that. It was enough for me to be hers for the evening. I wouldn't mind doing it again. I might complain about her stitches but she still turns me on. I ask her, "You doing anything later? Been a while since we've hung out."

Promising my time

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 18, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"It has been a while, hasn't it? I might be free later, we'll see," I respond back to him, and then I say, in a much quieter voice, "We'll talk more once we get out of here, come on."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Noah Feldman

"You're completely loving shameless, you know that?" It's not worth arguing with Karin any more. Whatever the hell is wrong with her, she seems perfectly happy to keep it that way. The comment's mostly to myself, but I make sure it's loud enough for her to hear. I think the only thing that's keeping me from taking a swing right back is... I dunno, if Karin's not gonna go check on her so-called friend, I guess someone's got to.

As soon as we're out of the room and out of eyesight and earshot of Mrs. Malcolm, I stop, not taking another step. "I'm going to go find Sarabeth. If either of you wants to try to stop me, be my loving guest." Something in me really hopes Karin tries.

If nobody stops him, Noah's just gonna wander around, quietly calling out for her. There's no real force behind this, so I'm not rolling Run Away. ...yet?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 20, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I shoot Noah a nasty glare. He's not wrong about me being shameless, but does he have to be such a gigantic rear end about it? I was really hoping to ditch him once we got out, but it looks like he wants to find Sarabeth, too. As much as I dislike dead boy right now, and would rather not be around him anymore, I'm way more worried about Sarabeth (What? I worry about other people too. Sometimes.). I sigh, and say, "...Nah, I'm not going to stop you. I actually wanted to look for her, too."

I fish out my phone out of my pocket, "Lemme text her. See where she is. It'll be easier than wandering the halls, and hoping we run into her."

@Karin posted:

hey. r u ok? where u at? we're looking 4 u

"There," I put my phone back in my pocket, "Hopefully she's calmed down enough to respond." I glare at Noah, "And hopefully a certain someone won't try and rile her up again."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Noah Feldman

"And yet, here you are."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Lucas. Karin, and Noah -- The Hallways

Under Lucas's watchful eye (yeah, whatever), you three head out into the halls. It's fairly quiet at the moment, just the usual trickle of people heading to the bathroom or otherwise excused from class. Three people in a group, clearly talking, might be enough to attract attention -- do any of you care about that? Which way are you going for the time being?

Lucas, are you actually making any effort to seem in charge? If you get stopped by a teacher, what's your story?

Karin, you text Sarabeth -- any backup plans if she doesn't get back to you soon? Or is the backup "go hook up with Lucas somewhere quiet?"

Noah, Lucas and Karin definitely seem to have some kind of history. How do you feel about that? Can you use it to your advantage here, maybe?

Sarabeth -- The Locker Room

Your phone goes off, and as it does, the door opens. The figure slinking in is carrying a gym bag, and it takes you a moment to remember the name. Nick? Nick Miller. Junior, a new face in school this year, and a basketball guy, you think. You haven't seen him hanging with Lucas's crew, though, so... who knows? And now he's here, in the girls' locker room.

He glances at you, then decides simply not to say anything, slinking back through the rows of lockers. Do you intend to do anything about that?

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

I almost laugh at the animosity between the two. I love a good cat fight but it gets us nowhere. It's cute really, both of them fighting for who gets to find Sarabeth. I don't get it and I personally wouldn't try to find her but Karin wants to and I have to admit, I'm a little curious to find out why she's so riled up today. I walk in between the two to break them up, "Karin, Noah, I know you two want to kill each other but that won't help find Sarabeth. So, could you two please cool it until we find her?" I look around the hall. Just a few kids but I know there's probably a teacher who's going to ask why were out of class. I could probably say that coach called me for something and they'd buy it but I have these idiots with me. I look at both of them, "If anyone asks, we were let us out early to work on a class project. We're just getting something from our lockers first. Any text back, Karin?"

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 21, 2017

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Sarabeth Blakesley
Conditions: Wound up, blamed | Harm: 0/4 | Experience: 1=1/5

So that's weird.

For a second, I wonder if I went into the wrong locker room, but I'm pretty sure the boys' doesn't smell like vanilla body spray and girls' sweat. I turn off the tap and rub my palms on my jeans, thinking. The last thing I want is to get involved in more drama today. I already pushed it. This is none of my business. I check my phone, which actually is my problem, and now 'we' are looking for me? Who is 'we'? I hope that doesn't mean Noah. I don't really want to have to meet his eyes right now.

@Sarabeth posted:

i'm fine
in the girls' locker room

go back to class

I can hear what's his name, Nick, moving around behind me. His shoes squeak on the floor, probably too quiet for most people to hear. I'm not most people, am I? And what do I really think the chances are that a teenage boy just snuck into the girls' locker room for totally not creepy reasons?

"gently caress." I look at myself in the mirror again, and I know I could leave. I could pretend I didn't see him just like he pretended he didn't see me. I could just...not. I could. But I won't.

I come around the edge of the lockers and lean against them, hip cocked to the side as I tilt my head and call out to Nick softly: "Hey. Are you waiting for somebody?"

I don't need to start off hard. Maybe he's meeting his girlfriend. Maybe he's leaving a note for somebody. Not every boy is a piece of poo poo. So I smile a little, and I keep my voice soft and a little high-pitched. "Or are you just lost? I won't like, snitch on you, or anything, it's just...you know this is the girls' locker room, right? So...what's the deal? Don't make me have to tell everybody you're bad at directions."

Roll to manipulate Nick
Sarabeth (TinyDeer): /r 2d6+1
SidekickBOT: @Sarabeth (TinyDeer): 2d6+1 = (5+4)+1 = 10

I'm giving him a motive/threat to do what I want, which is telling me what he's doing. Also marking experience for Hot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Noah Feldman

"Sure." With anyone else, that might actually work, but I've skipped so many classes and days I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in high school literally forever. He's right it'll have to wait until we find Sarabeth, though. I'm still upset with her, but with every step, more and more of that is draining into Stitches. Sara and I were friends once-upon-a-time.

I mean, I'm still pissed at her, kind of, but... I dunno, I don't wanna slam her head through a locker door. Saving that one for somebody special.

"I hope you've got a plan besides 'hit on her again'."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

It's a good thing Lucas is here, otherwise we'd probably be strangling the unlife out of each other. Seriously, what the hell crawled up his rear end today?

My "back-up plan," if you could call it that, was to walk around blindly and hope I run into her. Sure, hooking up with Lucas is tempting and all, but... well, like I said, I'm really worried about her. Sarabeth is... important? Is that the word I'm looking for? I don't know. All I know is I've never felt... whatever this feeling is, with anybody else before. It's... weird. I wonder if she feels the same way?

...Probably not.

My phone starts buzzing as soon as Lucas asks his question, "It's funny that you should ask. I think that's her now." I check the message she sent me. 'Go back to class,' huh? Heh, you're telling that to the wrong person, Sarabeth. "She's in the girl's locker room," I inform them, "That won't be a problem for either of you, will it?" I ask with a teasing edge to my voice.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 21, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Noah Feldman

"Go to hell."

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

"What did I just say? Cool it. Both of you." I sigh. "Come on, let's go get Sarabeth." We start walking to the Girls Locker room. "What is with the two of you today? Did you guys get into a fight over the weekend or something?"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Ask Mr. PMS over there," I point a thumb at Noah, "He's the one who started it."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Sarabeth -- The Locker Room

Nick swallows hard. You may not have tried to come off hard, but it's clear he's intimidated a bit -- or maybe just really nervous on his own volition. "Yeah, I needed to, uh, drop off a note. For Jenny Harris. Uh, she wanted me to... pick something up from in here, and I have a note to let her know I was here..."

He glances in the direction on Jenny's locker, which he seems to at least know. Still, this is a weird-rear end story, isn't it? And pretty drat vague. Do you intend to press him on it or let him go?

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Sarabeth Blakesley
Conditions: Wound up, blamed | Harm: 0/4 | Experience: 2=2/5

I don't think Jenny has ever mentioned the new kid. I push off the lockers and step closer. One step, two step.

"What is it?" Three step. "If it's like...girl stuff, I can take it." Four step. "I'll run it over to her. It's not a problem."

I breathe in slowly, sifting the air through my nose and over my tongue. If I can just decide if he leans more towards horny or scared...

Sarabeth (TinyDeer): Use some Heightened Senses
Sarabeth (TinyDeer): /r 2d6-1
SidekickBOT: @Sarabeth (TinyDeer): 2d6-1 = (3+3)-1 = 5

Opening for a hard move, marking experience for Dark.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Sarabeth -- the Locker Room

You can smell fear on Nick, but almost as soon as you do, the ambient scent of the environment rises up and begins to overwhelm you. This is a place with a lot of fear, a lot of confusion, a lot of desperate anxiety... and a lot of everyday locker-room scents, sweat and deodorants and body sprays, in traces that commingle and mix into an unholy miasma. Somehow it's worse than just being in the locker room normally, with all these scents on blast; it's as if they rot here, in this place too infrequently cleaned. Every locker is a bomb. It's paralyzing.

It takes you a few seconds to return to your normal senses, and by the time you do, Nick seems to have scattered. You can hear the clank of a combination lock being opened behind a wall of other lockers, about where Jenny's is. What do you do?

Lucas, Noah, Karin -- the Hallways

The gym and locker rooms are across the school from your homeroom, but you're not interrupted in the hallway, even as you chat amongst yourselves. Even in the high-security environment of the school this week, it seems that seniors are given a certain amount of slack, especially the Homecoming King and his... friends? Classmates? Barely-restrained enemies? "Classmates" suffices, for now.

The entrance to the locker rooms is to the side of the gym entrance, the boys' and girls', next to each other. The girls' locker room seems normal, but you can hear something going on in the boys' locker room... it sounds like an electric saw is buzzing in there. Huh.

What do you do?

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Sarabeth Blakesley
Conditions: Wound up, blamed | Harm: 0/4 | Experience: 2=2/5

I gag on the stink in here, clasping my hand over my mouth as my eyes water. When my head clears, Nick's gone, but I can hear him still--and if I didn't think he was definitely up to something before, I know he's a creep now. Who just runs off in the middle of a conversation? Somebody with something to hide.

Good luck hiding it from me.

"Hey!" I dart around the corner, voice sharp and accusatory--the 'big sister just caught you and you're in Trouble' voice. "I was talking to you!"

Whatever he's doing, he's not doing it to Jenny. My nails are digging ragged half-moons in my palms, and I can feel them sharpening by the second, but I can handle it, I can keep my cool. I just--I just have to keep him from doing whatever creepy little thing he's up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

We could walk in silence too. I sigh and wonder if these idiots are worth leading. I wave at a few of the people passing by, all of them giving us our space as we head to the gym. Maybe I should get some thanks for getting us here without someone bugging us. Thanks me. You're welcome me. Standing outside the locker rooms I can kinda hear a girl yelling inside the girls lockers but it's being drowned out by sound coming from the boys locker room. It sounds like a saw, I guess. I wonder if they're finally cutting Jerome Beckett's old lock, it's been there since I was a freshman. I should probably check whatever it is to make sure they don't gently caress up my locker.

I look at my 'project partners'. I am 100% sure that something is going to go down the moment I step away. So do I? I look at the Girls lockers again. Might as well tell her that we're here. Not going in there because no but I push on the doors and shout into the locker room, "Hey Sara! Your friends are waiting for you outside!" I walk toward Noah and Karin. "What? I'm not going in there."

• Locked thread