Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Don't forget zombie Jason

give us zombie Jason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So the whole Archie origin story thing was already pointed out but I just realize its also sorta the origin story of Cheryl becoming BLAZE in a way

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Cheryl going from ice to fire was a nice touch. Pretty happy with the finale, and agreed that Archie's become a good character now that he's free of Grundy.

A 22-ep season sounds completely doable considering the new characters and plot movements that are coming in. I really hope that FP somehow gets a lighter charge and Fred isn't dead, because Ulrich and Perry have been great in their roles (and speaking of, more Molly Ringwald please!)

edit: and going to call it now, the shooter was just some random robber, but Fred being out of commission (whether that's a coma, or dead, or even just unable to work) means that the Lodges are going to press harder on wanting to buy him out.

edit2: though apparently "who shot fred" is going to be a point of plot movement, so i guess there is probably a significant person behind this somehow!

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 18, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The Narrator posted:

edit2: though apparently "who shot fred" is going to be a point of plot movement, so i guess there is probably a significant person behind this somehow!

Calling it now, it's gonna be Frank Castle.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The Narrator posted:

edit: and going to call it now, the shooter was just some random robber, but Fred being out of commission (whether that's a coma, or dead, or even just unable to work) means that the Lodges are going to press harder on wanting to buy him out.

Jughead literally says it wasn't random in the narration, and he seems to be narrating from :awesomelon:The Future:awesomelon: so I'm inclined to trust him.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Spergatory posted:

Jughead literally says it wasn't random in the narration, and he seems to be narrating from :awesomelon:The Future:awesomelon: so I'm inclined to trust him.

He also said suspending half the football team would have dire consequences. Not all VO is necessarily gospel.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

General Ironicus posted:

He also said suspending half the football team would have dire consequences. Not all VO is necessarily gospel.

Clearly he was referring to something that would occur in SEASON TWO
...unless he was referring to Cheryl & Chuck's Surprise House Party/Truth or Dare. Dire.

Speaking of Season Two, it's moving to the (suddenly competitive) 8 PM Wednesday spot.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

JethroMcB posted:

Clearly he was referring to something that would occur in SEASON TWO
...unless he was referring to Cheryl & Chuck's Surprise House Party/Truth or Dare. Dire.

Speaking of Season Two, it's moving to the (suddenly competitive) 8 PM Wednesday spot.

I assumed the football players gone wild arc was shelved due to the lack of availability of Reggie. But the house party pay-off was at least something. I expect big things in Season 2.

As for the time slot, I stream it directly from the CW TV website anyway.
They are super-strict about ad-blockers and won't run if they detect anything even remotely like one. I have to use Edge as even disabling my uBlock and Privacy Badger extensions in Chrome or Firefox doesn't work.

The CW App sucks pretty hard.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Not sure if it still works, but I remember being able to trick the CW's ad block detector by turning it off when I first loaded the page, letting something load, and then turning it neck on.

Not that I encourage such thievery! :bahgawd:

EDIT: Actually, I tried loading an episode just now with uBlock origin enabled and it worked just fine.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 18, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Spergatory posted:

Not sure if it still works, but I remember being able to trick the CW's ad block detector by turning it off when I first loaded the page, letting something load, and then turning it neck on.

Not that I encourage such thievery! :bahgawd:

EDIT: Actually, I tried loading an episode just now with uBlock origin enabled and it worked just fine.

What? I'll have to try again. I hate seeing the same commercials over and over including commercials for upcoming episodes of shows that are actually five months old for some reason.
Maybe a uBlock update got around whatever detection they were using.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't know if it'll work with anything else, but I know that when I stream from the CTV app to my Chromecast, it skips the ads.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Phylodox posted:

I don't know if it'll work with anything else, but I know that when I stream from the CTV app to my Chromecast, it skips the ads.

On the Fire TV Stick sometimes it will play two blocks of ads back-to-back and then skip them later in the show. The app really is a mess but I guess it works well enough.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Riverdale is on Netflix in America now and I'm up to episode 4. Had to pause and admire the Minnesota driver's license since it looks just like mine. The issued date being '07 is kind of weird, though, since mine's only good for four years.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hey guys, remember when Cheryl wore the dress and it was the greatest scene in television history.

This show has such amazing visuals.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Finally caught up, thanks Netflix.

I love how that entire finale focuses on the ramifications of learning the truth. Sure, they solved the murder, but what does that mean for Riverdale? How will they use this information? By loving ignoring it and blaming it on people on the wrong side of the tracks. The Lodges and the Coopers try to forget everything that happened and act like a normal family, McCoy and Keller zero-in on the drugs without considering their own complicity, and Jughead gets loving thrown under the bus because no one wants their precious maple syrup empire to be evil.

This show is good.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I just realized that Alice Cooper didn't want Betty to wear red lipstick because the Blossoms wear red lipstick.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I finally finished the first season and I have the same expression as Cheryl's when she burned their mansion down

I love her, she is so awful it's amazing

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Schneider Heim posted:

I finally finished the first season and I have the same expression as Cheryl's when she burned their mansion down

I love her, she is so awful it's amazing

She's the best thing about the show by far.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I want a Cheryl and Dark Betty team up. And romance, but lets start with a team up.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I can't wait for Seduced By The Dark Side Betty

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Welp, so much Jughead's foster family! http://deadline.com/2017/06/riverdale-skeet-ulrich-promoted-series-regular-season-2-fp-jones-the-cw-1202105590/

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I wonder if this means FP will be exonerated in short order, of if people are going to be visiting the local lock-up on a weekly basis.

Dear Riverdale: Please pull whatever narrative trickery is necessary to put Jughead behind bars and sharing a cell with FP, where they have to learn how to be father and son again, if only for a single episode.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I watched this whole series on an international flight over the weekend. How the hell is a teen drama from the CW this good?

It's going to make me sad when they inevitably tear Betty and Jughead for drama though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This was cool but man was it awkward to reconcile the changes between the comics and the show at times. Reggie being Moose sized, for example.

I liked that Veronica remained their comrade for the entire show though. That was great. I do wish that these enormous jacked teenagers would be able to actually defend themselves at any point. Archie looks like a Greek statue for god's sake! It was so satisfying to see him win that fight against that river at the end.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

From Dark Horizons:

quote:

Actor KJ Apa has confirmed that the second season of “Riverdale,” which returns on October 11th, has been expanded to a full twenty-two episode season for its second year. Filming on the first episode has wrapped.

Geez.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They need the extra episodes to fully explore the impact of the zombie apocalypse.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You know, if they do pivot into supernatural horror, I'll be here for it, but I kinda really like the neo-noir thing it has going on right now.

Like, My Dark Places for sensitive teens (and teens at heart) is something I want to see way more of.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DivisionPost posted:

You know, if they do pivot into supernatural horror, I'll be here for it, but I kinda really like the neo-noir thing it has going on right now.

Like, My Dark Places for sensitive teens (and teens at heart) is something I want to see way more of.

Leave the genre trappings to the rest of the CW, keep Riverdale a pure over-the-top teen soap.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Leave the genre trappings to the rest of the CW, keep Riverdale a pure over-the-top teen soap.

What is this from? I need to see it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feedmyleg posted:

What is this from? I need to see it.

Lili Reinhart and Camila Mendes got their own dedicated Giphy galleries of reaction gifs for...some reason. They are incredible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's basically me in a KFC.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I 100% want them to pivot into the supernatural ala Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

If they pivot into zombies, though, I think I'm out.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah, I wasn't seriously suggesting zombies. A Chilling Adventures of Sabrina turn would be dark in a way you don't normally get on TV, but even then, it might be too far from what Riverdale is. I'd be happy with most things as long they don't go the superhero route.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Thankfully, Sacasa said that _if_ they do supernatural, it wouldn't be zombies. Note that this was by no means a promise that it would go into the supernatural, but that sure was a comprehensive answer to the question if they weren't actually planning on it.

quote:

If and when you guys do decide to do Afterlife with Archie, would you put a twist on it since so many fans have expectations from the comics?
Yeah, for sure. There’s already an amazing zombie show on TV, a couple of amazing zombie shows — probably actually three or four. There are a lot of zombie shows, so if we did go there, I think we’d more lean into the Lovecraftian horrors or it would be more like the Evil Dead zombies rather than the Night of the Living Dead zombies, if that makes sense. Night of the Living Dead right into Walking Dead, it seems like they’re biological warfare or they came from science or extra-terrestrial, whereas the Evil Dead zombies are very much about the Book of the Dead and the Necronomicon and demons possessing the bodies and stuff. That’s where I gravitate toward anyway. I’m more horror than sci-fi.

Incidentally, as much as I rag on Greg Berlanti and his shows, I was glad for this bit from the same interview:

quote:

It’s funny, when Greg Berlanti — who of course is the godfather of all these shows and my boss — and I were talking about possibly doing Afterlife with Archie, or introducing the character of Sabrina, I said, “Yeah, but we can’t just suddenly have magic and supernatural elements on the show,” and Greg, without missing a beat, said, “Of course you can.” I was like, “Wait! Yeah, we can.”

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Didn't Sacasa at one point say they might do yearly Halloween specials that didn't really fit into continuity and mention doing Afterlife there? I could've sworn that was mentioned at some point.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

X-O posted:

Didn't Sacasa at one point say they might do yearly Halloween specials that didn't really fit into continuity and mention doing Afterlife there? I could've sworn that was mentioned at some point.

I don't remember that at all and it hasn't been mentioned on the sex archie podcast.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

Someone did. Don't know if it was him or someone else, but it was like a year before the show premiered so maybe they changed their minds.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's the most recent thing I can find on it:

quote:

Aguirre-Sacasa played coy when asked about the possibility of Sabrina making an appearance in Season 2, but he did admit that there was interest in featuring some sort of “Afterlife with Archie”-inspired episode, perhaps for Halloween.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-riverdale-wondercon-20170331-story.html

And several other mentions from before the series started or was even cast for that matter.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Two episodes in, I'm not sure I'm enjoying this. I gave the 100 a fair shake so I'm willing to give this a few more. Actually when I think about it now I'm mainly annoyed with teenagers acting like teenagers so I'll keep at it some more. Although Betty's mom has got to be the craziest person on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Although Betty's mom has got to be the craziest person on the show.

Don't worry, the competition opens up by the end.

• Locked thread