Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Clearly money set aside since Chuck Jr (while ultra-rich by any other metric) is earning peanuts when compared to his wife and Axel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
My favorite thing about this show is the opening title screen.

"I want the platonic essence of the opposite of the Game of Thrones' opening. As short, basic, and unimaginative as possible."

"How about a two second shot of the financial district, with the name of the show laid on top? Plus a sad trombone noise to really rub it in."

"Lose the trombone and you're golden."

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Clearly money set aside since Chuck Jr (while ultra-rich by any other metric) is earning peanuts when compared to his wife and Axel.

Then Chuck Jr. lost nothing, really.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

My favorite thing about this show is the opening title screen.

"I want the platonic essence of the opposite of the Game of Thrones' opening. As short, basic, and unimaginative as possible."

"How about a two second shot of the financial district, with the name of the show laid on top? Plus a sad trombone noise to really rub it in."

"Lose the trombone and you're golden."

Yeah, every time I see it I think that maybe they showed the full intro some other time and now they're skipping it to save time, but no, it's just that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

jfood posted:

Being the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York is not a low-paying civil service job. He's poised to be the next Governor. They're not going to go hungry while daddy waits on his foodstamps to roll in at the end of the month. They'll live a life of privilege, go to top tier schools and have more opportunity in life than pretty much anyone posting in this thread, as well as anyone in the entire state of New York... they'll just have to actually earn once university is over.

Chuck Senior is pretty loving evil, maybe a life without his bloodmoney is for the best?

Well, yeah they're still going to be okay even on just his salary, unless he gets fired and doesn't get the governorship, but even then you don't really stop getting really good job offers once you've had his job unless he really gets a huge scandal. Even if his sexual interests got out I'm sure he'd land job offers. And to imagine they're not going to grow up stinking rich means you take Wendy and all her money out of the picture as well.

Losing the blood money may be good in the long run for them, but it still shocked me when he was willing to throw it into the woodchipper. It really hammered home how much Axe is his White Whale.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Uh yeah, guys, his trust ain't gone. If he brought charges against Axe, not only would Axe et al go to jail but he and his entire firm would have to pay hundreds of millions in compensatory and punitive damages to icejuice and their shareholders for engaging in a criminal loving conspiracy to bankrupt a company.

And even if there weren't damages, the stock price would likely bounce back once the conspiracy was revealed.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 6, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Leviathan posted:

Uh yeah, guys, his trust ain't gone. If he brought charges against Axe, not only would Axe et al go to jail but he and his entire firm would have to pay hundreds of millions in compensatory and punitive damages to icejuice and their shareholders for engaging in a criminal loving conspiracy to bankrupt a company.

And even if there weren't damages, the stock price would likely bounce back once the conspiracy was revealed.

The firm doesn't have much of its own money, though, its assets are mostly owned by investors who are blameless and who pay management fees. They can only actually recover personal assets from those who knew and participated in the fraud whatever limited capital the firm itself retains without paying out to employees for business liquidity/cash flow purposes.

Bobby's worth a few billion, maybe, but even if he's managing $200B in assets no one is going to recover everything if he managed to blow up $10B in Ice Juice paper value.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Longbaugh01 posted:

Minor nitpick, but she's a therapist. Therapists do therapy and can't prescribe drugs. Psychiatrists are medical doctors, usually do not do therapy, and can prescribe drugs.

Edit: vvv Fine, and informative, but that's a much finer distinction than between therapist and psychiatrist.

Wendy is a psychiatrist

http://www.sho.com/billions/cast/wendy-rhoades

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The firm doesn't have much of its own money, though, its assets are mostly owned by investors who are blameless and who pay management fees. They can only actually recover personal assets from those who knew and participated in the fraud whatever limited capital the firm itself retains without paying out to employees for business liquidity/cash flow purposes.

Bobby's worth a few billion, maybe, but even if he's managing $200B in assets no one is going to recover everything if he managed to blow up $10B in Ice Juice paper value.

The SEC can file for sanctions, be it civil monetary penalties or disgorgements on entire firms and/or individuals within the firm. Icejuice sounded like a shake shack type ipo and probably priced between $500m to $1b cap. Everyone is getting their money back one way or another.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

NowonSA posted:

Well, yeah they're still going to be okay even on just his salary, unless he gets fired and doesn't get the governorship, but even then you don't really stop getting really good job offers once you've had his job unless he really gets a huge scandal. Even if his sexual interests got out I'm sure he'd land job offers. And to imagine they're not going to grow up stinking rich means you take Wendy and all her money out of the picture as well.

Losing the blood money may be good in the long run for them, but it still shocked me when he was willing to throw it into the woodchipper. It really hammered home how much Axe is his White Whale.

It's funny you mention the white whale, personally I think the series is going to end with Axe and Chuck destroying each other but simultaneously destroying their own lives in the process. I'm thinking the IceJuice sting will destroy Axe, but Wendy's involvement will tank Chuck's governorship hopes, or it'll be 10 more episodes of therapy sessions.

Also, I'm wondering if David Strathairn's Black Jack character will play a role in the endgame. I mean obviously, yes, but he's not directly involved in IceJuice. I wonder if Chuck might be successful in destroying Axe, but end up as Strathairn's pawn, the total opposite of what he wanted a la The Shield's finale for Vic Mackey.

This show is seriously punching above its weight and i love it.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 6, 2017

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I thought Axe was limited to managing only his own funds rather than taking on investor funds from a previous settlement?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

CalvinandHobbes posted:

I thought Axe was limited to managing only his own funds rather than taking on investor funds from a previous settlement?

I think that was the deal he walked away from after Chuck tried to humiliate him in the conference room. He'd have fired most of his people if he were reduced to a family fund.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Season finale and nobody cares? :smith:

I thought the way Chuck told his father and Ira about the situation was slightly odd. Will Ira's ire come back to bite him?

If his Rhodes Sr. signed the affidavit affirming that Chuck did not know about the money being taken out of his trust fund, shouldn't it be possible for him to sue Axe for the money? Surely the connection to the Rhodes family would come up in an eventual trial because otherwise Axe doesn't really have a plausible motive?

This episode brought up a lot of questions for me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Any suit would by necessity be class-action and for all shareholders. Also, no plausible motive? This is not murder she wrote, he runs a hedge fund that directly profited off his criminal manipulations. That he was personally motivated by sticking it to the Chuck's is pretty much irrelevant to the case at this point because the short-play puts his hedge-fund all over this.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

MiddleOne posted:

Any suit would by necessity be class-action and for all shareholders. Also, no plausible motive? This is not murder she wrote, he runs a hedge fund that directly profited off his criminal manipulations. That he was personally motivated by sticking it to the Chuck's is pretty much irrelevant to the case at this point because the short-play puts his hedge-fund all over this.

I guess the big concern for Chuck would be whether his actions constituted entrapment or were just part of a completely legal sting-operation. Based on the fact that the authorities only leaked the fact that Chuck Sr. was an investor in Ice Juice to Axe, even the best lawyer would have a hard time framing that as entrapment, which means the worst case would be political consequences for Chuck, but being an integral part of a sting operation to bring down a corrupt hedge fund sounds more like an asset if you want to run as governor of New York.

But, as someone said earlier itt, the show is treating the technical details of law/finance just like Suits, with the true focus now being the characters and their relationships.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

GaussianCopula posted:

But, as someone said earlier itt, the show is treating the technical details of law/finance just like Suits, with the true focus now being the characters and their relationships.

And as such, the answer to 'how much trouble would Chuck be in?' is 'exactly as much as is needed for the story they want to tell'.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

What's his dad so pissed about? It was Chuck's trust. Or did he just not like being used? Not like he hasn't been manipulating Chuck his whole life.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
He was in for all his liquid assets plus Chuck's trust. Axe mentions he'll have to sell off properties to get by.

As for why he's pissed at Chuck, probably something dumb like "you should've trusted me with your plan", despite the fact that Chuck Sr. has pulled of the exact same poo poo and basically programmed his son to act this way.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Chuck once again betrayed his father in order to try to take down an opponent, but this time it has left his father pretty much broke.
It says a lot about how much Chuck has been corrupted in his efforts to take down Axe.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This series is pretty much liberal-progressive masturbatory material for butt hurt millennials, especially the ones that failed at occupy wall street. Unless you fall into that category, you probably won't enjoy this absurd fiction.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I wanted to comment on the previous post but it was too hot of a take to touch.

• Locked thread