Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It's still pretty much the same show as last season. The writing is not nearly as clever as the writers think it is, but the actors manage to make up for it.

There's also still a truckload of sidelining female characters despite the fact that it tries to paint them as badasses (Axe's wife being the most egregious example).

In The Wolf of Wall Street Scorsese manages to portray this same life of excess and dubious morals in a way that makes you laugh but also leaves you feeling sick to your stomach. Here you get the feeling that the show glorifies the characters but also feels guilty about it so they throw in some "look how they destroy their own lives" moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just finished the latest episode and I think what most annoys me about the show is how everyone just has to narrate some barely applicable anecdote or historical fact before making a point.

Otherwise an ok episode and it's nice to have Axe in the back foot for once

It seems clear to me that the show is setting everything up for Axe to drop Lara as a liability after she threatens to expose him as revenge for re-hiring Wendy.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Fragmented posted:

Lol they are loving with a nations currency for profit. Axe made his fortune shorting stocks on 9/11 as his friends died. He has the shadiest guy ever in charge of his black ops operations, you know the guy that implied he could kill children this last episode. How do you not feel sick to your stomach. I like this show, but after every episode i feel a bit more cynical. Because yeah, Bobby is an entertaining guy, that is one of the worst of this class of wall street cheaters.

Edit: I feel like saying "they are loving with a nations currency for profit" when talking about hedge funds is hilarious and obvious, but i meant them messing around with the currency of a smaller nation(Bolivia right?)

It was Nigeria.

The things that characters do are shady as poo poo, but the characters themselves are smart, sexy (well, not Paul Giamatti), funny, always ready with a quip or a historical fact. I feel like whatever indictment of the system the show is trying to make, gets lost in that it all seems fun and exciting.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 29, 2017

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's basically expensive fast food.

Damian Lewis sells the poo poo out of the libertarian shitlord who thinks they're so much smarter than everyone else, I love it. Paul Giamatti owns but I don't find the Chuck Rhoades character entertaining enough to care.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Longbaugh01 posted:

Minor nitpick, but she's a therapist. Therapists do therapy and can't prescribe drugs. Psychiatrists are medical doctors, usually do not do therapy, and can prescribe drugs.

I think what she actually does is coaching which is some sort of modern "goal-oriented" therapy/counseling, where instead of working towards the general betterment of the person, they try to help them get better at some specific thing.

It's always seemed sort of ethically iffy to me, basically rich people paying a "professional" to tell them what they want to hear.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's definitely been foreshadowed since the "if that's what it takes" moment whatever number of episodes ago when his dad tells him to raid the fund.

I will say that I expected the show to somehow have the stock bounce back from the crash, or to have Axe's ruse be caught out early, because drat, even if Chuck hadn't anticipated Wendy's involvement, for this plan to work out he basically had to sacrifice all his money, a large chunk of his father's money, his best friend's dream and a large chunk of his money, and basically put a whole company and it's employees in jeopardy. That's some serious pyrrhic victory poo poo.

And perhaps the most frustrating thing for him will be that once Wendy's short is discovered, he won't be able to prosecute Axe himself due to conflict of interest, even if he was willing to sacrifice it. He'll have to delegate it to Connerty, which means he basically sold his soul and doesn't even get to bring Axe in.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Chuck Sr. is a morally bankrupt little man who is trying to live through his son the life of power and status he imagines he deserved but was denied.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

It's amazing how completely unapologetic he was about breaking plan and just going all-in with the trust .

I was never clear whether Chuck Jr's trust consisted of money earned by Chuck Jr himself, or money Chuck Sr. set aside for him.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Clearly money set aside since Chuck Jr (while ultra-rich by any other metric) is earning peanuts when compared to his wife and Axel.

Then Chuck Jr. lost nothing, really.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

My favorite thing about this show is the opening title screen.

"I want the platonic essence of the opposite of the Game of Thrones' opening. As short, basic, and unimaginative as possible."

"How about a two second shot of the financial district, with the name of the show laid on top? Plus a sad trombone noise to really rub it in."

"Lose the trombone and you're golden."

Yeah, every time I see it I think that maybe they showed the full intro some other time and now they're skipping it to save time, but no, it's just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
He was in for all his liquid assets plus Chuck's trust. Axe mentions he'll have to sell off properties to get by.

As for why he's pissed at Chuck, probably something dumb like "you should've trusted me with your plan", despite the fact that Chuck Sr. has pulled of the exact same poo poo and basically programmed his son to act this way.

• Locked thread