Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just binged it, I actually quite liked it. If this show has made me learn anything it is that 'guy who looks distinguished in a suit' is apparently an actual typecast considering how many guest stars this show already shares with Suits. Since this is a Showtime show I fully expect it to squander any promise that season finale hinted at and go nowhere. Anyways, I'm in for the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

eclectic taste posted:

Season 1 was uneven but ended great. I just don't know why they didn't let Damien Lewis be a British rich guy instead of making him American.

The libertarian self-made man sthick doesn't work as well if he's not American. Plus, it ruins any semblance of theme the show is going for if its the American justice system versus some amoral British dude, he needs to be American as well.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LentThem posted:

it still impresses the hell out of me that Paul Giamatti is able to square off against people 6 inches taller than him and still appear threatening - like not many people can manage "look upwards menacingly" without looking cornered or petulant or something

Giamatti has been on an all-ham diet for decades and can overact anyone.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Seriously, no one is watching this show?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

NowonSA posted:

I don't think the show is quite as bad as people in the thread make it out to be, but I do agree that the actors are completely elevating the material. Without Giamatti, Lewis and Siff this would be a real bad show, and the supporting cast also carries their weight when they have to.

This show is basically Suits but with better actors and a higher budget. Any plot is incidental as everything is really just a vehicle for Giamatti and Lewis to lecture and quip endlessly. I quite like it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oasx posted:

That move by Wendy was pretty cold, almost as cold as Chuck betraying his father in order to get at Axe, great episode.

Isn't Wendy going to be a big problem though? Through her stake she's now directly involved in the paper trail.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

NowonSA posted:

It is a nice bit of hubris that Chuck could have had an utterly flawless victory if he'd just told Wendy what his plan was beforehand, or even right then in his office, and trusted her not to tell Axe, but he chose to keep the mask up even though it pained him to do so.

Well to be fair, it's not like he could have predicted that she would do the most petty thing imaginable and join the short just to spite him. She's already a multi-millionaire, she doesn't exactly need the money.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's amazing how completely unapologetic he was about breaking plan and just going all-in with the trust .

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Clearly money set aside since Chuck Jr (while ultra-rich by any other metric) is earning peanuts when compared to his wife and Axel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Any suit would by necessity be class-action and for all shareholders. Also, no plausible motive? This is not murder she wrote, he runs a hedge fund that directly profited off his criminal manipulations. That he was personally motivated by sticking it to the Chuck's is pretty much irrelevant to the case at this point because the short-play puts his hedge-fund all over this.

• Locked thread