Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A game of cat and mouse. An obsessed Attorney looking to get his man. A Rich Billionaire who will break the rules to make money because this is America, goddamnit. Also there are women but they don't matter because this is about the patriarchy yeah baby yeah.

Billions season 1 was a very showtimey uneven ride. By the end it kind of came together in a way that almost redeemed the uneven 11 episodes before it. It has a cast that is quite frankly above most of the material, and somehow pulls in excellent guest stars for one shots. Featuring snappy on the nose dialogue, and hits you over the head with obvious metaphors.

So why watch it? Well the soundtrack by electronic artist Eskmo is loving amazing. The principle leads elevate the lovely material, and the middle to back half of last season produced some somewhat entertaining television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E765zGG4GLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfC54kLXNQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8S4isIxo2w

The question is: Will this spiral off in a Homeland-like pit of second season child hit and runs, or will it pull a Halt and Catch Fire-like resurgence?

Will this show's stock rise or fall something something stock-market joke something something???

The Cast.

Paul Giamatti (John Adams, Sideways) - Chuck Rhoades.

US Attorney for the Southern District New York (or whatever). Has plans to enter politics or something, makes less money than his (ex?)Wife and is into BDSM. Poor Chuck ended last season not getting the man, always being on the back foot, and stealing his wife's practice notes in order to try and get Axe for bribery. The end result is that she left him and he's a bitter, broken, Shakespearean tragedy of a man (and walking conflict of interest). In the end, Paul Giamatti just crushes everything so he's a treat to watch.

Damian Lewis (Band of Brothers, Homeland (lol), Dreamcatcher (lol)) - Bobby "Axe" Axelrod

Billionaire philanthropist family man charismatic cult like dirty finance pizza connoisseur guy. Because ~prestige drama~ he's seen to be charming and likeable to contrast the grumpy and frumpy Rhoades. Damian Lewis is great. Axe finishes last season having torn apart his entire building trying to find a nonexistent wiretap, didn't give his friend life extending drugs so he could die in a timeframe that suited him, pissed of the NY Firefighters so they ruined his wife's farm and restaurant, and his hedge fund isn't in the greatest of places with the negative publicity. He also offered Chuck Rhoades' 2nd in command a job.

Maggie Siff (Don Draper's Jewish ladyfriend from Mad Men) - Wendy Rhoades

Was a performance coach for Axlerod's investment firm. She ended last season estranged from her husband Chuck Rhoades. She is also estranged from her former employer Axe after she quit because he's bad and breaks the law. She is probably the most interesting character, but also mostly spend her time being a plot beat for all the male characters which is sad. Hopefully she'll have her own self determination now she's not stuck between the two ~powerful male leads~.

Malin Akerman (Silk Spectre in Watchmen) - Lara Axelrod

She exists and is a part of the show. :effort:

David Costabile (Gale Boetticher from Breaking Bad) - Mike 'Wags' Wagner

Wages is Axe's COO. He's really foulmouthed but not in a funny or ironic way. "People in this place's lips are looser than my first wife after our second child." :psyduck:

Toby Leonard Moore (Underbelly, The Pacific, Dardevil) - Bryan Connerty

Chuck Rhoades' right hand man. Had a sexual relationship with an FBI agent and then started a thing with Lady Lawyer in the office instead in a plot thread that I'm supposed to give a poo poo about but don't. He ended last season with a job offer from Axe that he didn't explicitly turn down. He's starting to chafe under the overbearing leadership of Chuck Rhoades.

Other people:
Lady lawyer in the office who is banging Bryan. FBI Lady who was banging Bryan. FBI dude. The Guy from Numbers as rear end in a top hat Attorney General Stooge. A bunch of traders that work for Axe whose names and faces I struggle to remember. Chuck's lawyer (The fat one). Chuck's fixer (the guy with the goatee). Also Mark Furhman from American Crime Story dropped by occasionally to try and get Wendy a new job. Dr Greene from ER as a corrupt judge. That guy from the Americans as Axe's friend who probably isn't his friend no more. James Hetfield. Guy who lets his dog poop without using a plastic bag.

Also, ?uestlawyer.

I think that brings us all up to speed.

Last season had 4 posts. I do you think we can beat that? honestly. I'm not sure.

First episode is available on Showtime Streaming, and will air February 19 and air weekly after that.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eclectic taste posted:

Season 1 was uneven but ended great. I just don't know why they didn't let Damien Lewis be a British rich guy instead of making him American.

Looks like in the season 2 promos they've stopped the whole "him dying his hair" nonsense.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 16, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As much as I dumped on the show in the OP, the subplot about the double agent mole with Cancer was legitimately great. That scene where the FBI fake raid his house you see a shot of him hide all his medication and nothing is made of it until like 2 episodes later when the whole plan is made clear.

Also I loved the whole "PRETEND WE'RE FIGHTING!!" scene.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed the first episode, I thought the chess scene was good. And the twist of Chuck being turned in by his own guy was good as well.

I thought this was a solid start.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Soundtrack status: still dope as hell.

Also, new credits sequence looks great.

"Don't put Ric Flair in the ring if you don't want the heat from the crowd."

E: I love that ?uestlawyer is now a regular

E: also I loving love the new analyst, they are great.

E3: Run the jewels on the soundtrack? Be still my beating heart.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 27, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have been thinking about why I like this second season so much so far. They have ditched all the subplots I dislike and are focusing only on the good ones and giving more focus on the interesting characters.

Also they are doing a great job through two episodes of stalling out the main conflict while introducing worthwhile secondary antagonists for each principle.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah another good episode. The thing about buying all the books is hilarious and also, heartbreaking.

Oasx posted:

Taylor is my new favourite character.

They are definitely my favourite new character.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Renewed for a third season, per the Avclub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Chuck being a test case on pure economic loss confirmed season 3 storyline.

• Locked thread