Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
So this season is going to be Chuck as the one under siege with him somehow squeaking out at the end right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Oasx posted:

I just wish i could understand more of the financial/trading part of the show, half the time i don't understand what is going on.

The trading aspect is basically the same as it was in "Trading Places" and revolves mostly around insider information being abused to make money. They use a lot of fancy terms to make it sound like rocket science, but that's not plot relevant.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

Holy poo poo that ending :stare: The last 5 minutes changed up everything about how I thought this season was gonna wrap up.

That was the most obvious "twist" since the Red Wedding if you have read the books. They did a great job selling it this episode (though they foreshadowed it heavily in the convo with his martial arts instructor about exploiting an opponent going overly aggressive after your weakness), but the way he turned to to the Ice Juice books after the conversation with his female employee made it very clear to me that he would lure Axe into a trap, I mean he literally realizes just how far Axe will go to act in spite and says you can only win if you anticipate the attack - I don't see how any reasonable person could read that as "oh, Chuck is broken and now going after the money"?.

As for Wendy, well, it will certainly complicate the clean kill shot Chuck has at this point, which is somehow necessary because the show is renewed for a 3rd season.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Well to be fair, it's not like he could have predicted that she would do the most petty thing imaginable and join the short just to spite him. She's already a multi-millionaire, she doesn't exactly need the money.

You could argue that she did it to balance out the family accounts, given that they made a great deal about Chuck's trust being setup for him AND THE KIDS.

By the way, Chuck's dad and friend should be able to simply sue Axe for damages to actually make a killing, given that the government is going to proof that he manipulated the share price.

But in the end Taylor is going to be the fall person over the Klaxon play when Axe pleads guilty to protect Wendy.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

NowonSA posted:

I don't think there's really a legal recourse to someone sabotaging your company to manipulate the stock price, even if it's proven in a court of law. Even if there is, the damage to the brand is probably irreparable.

The damages to the brand might be irreparable, but that's not the point. Ira (Chuck's friend) and his father can pretty easily proof that Axe's action cost them monetary damages by devaluing their stocks from $30 to $3 and therefore Axe has to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Any suit would by necessity be class-action and for all shareholders. Also, no plausible motive? This is not murder she wrote, he runs a hedge fund that directly profited off his criminal manipulations. That he was personally motivated by sticking it to the Chuck's is pretty much irrelevant to the case at this point because the short-play puts his hedge-fund all over this.

I guess the big concern for Chuck would be whether his actions constituted entrapment or were just part of a completely legal sting-operation. Based on the fact that the authorities only leaked the fact that Chuck Sr. was an investor in Ice Juice to Axe, even the best lawyer would have a hard time framing that as entrapment, which means the worst case would be political consequences for Chuck, but being an integral part of a sting operation to bring down a corrupt hedge fund sounds more like an asset if you want to run as governor of New York.

But, as someone said earlier itt, the show is treating the technical details of law/finance just like Suits, with the true focus now being the characters and their relationships.

• Locked thread