Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Hello Team Left!

:siren: If you are a member of Team Right, you are in the wrong place and should leave at once! :siren:

Your mission is simple: Be the first team to score 4 points by choosing the move that defeats the other team's move. I'm sure you know the drill. Use any way you prefer to reach a consensus about which move your team will pick. Turn lengths are going to be played a bit by ear depending on how quickly both teams are able to decide, but I'll probably keep them at at least 24 hours to allow as many people as possible to give input regardless of time zones etc.

There are only a few rules:
  • No peeking in the other team's thread or the observer thread! I know how much some of you like winning, but cheating at rock-paper-scissors would be a new low.
  • No usage of any form of random number generators (this includes dice) when deciding on a move.
  • As far as possible, try to explain your reasoning behind your suggested moves - exploring the thought processes that goes in to this is part of the fun.
  • Please keep all team communication within this thread so observers can follow along
That should be all! Just ask if there are any questions, or if you think I have missed something.

And now, I shall leave you with the question:

Rock, paper, or scissors?

Covski fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Paper. Rock being listed first can lead to it being the opener.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I propose that we decide on a strategy and keep following it till the end. Statistically, that gets us the best chance. (besides random picks)

My suggestion is a cumulative series of triadic numbers corresponding to the choices in canonical order with an intial value of 1 and 2.
The series would be. 1,2,3,6,12,24,48. Calculating the necessary modular and applying the implicit homomorphism yields the strategy

PSRRRRR

It's science!

Edit: In case we are only allowed to vote on this turn, I guess that means I am for Paper.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 13, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think we should go with scissors. The other team will likely also decide to pass on rock in the first round, so we either win if they choose paper or draw if they also use scissors.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Edit: In case we are only allowed to vote on this turn, I guess that means I am for Paper.

I don't think it's really enforceable as a rule, but for the sake of keeping the LP interesting I'd much prefer that teams only decide on their move for the present round, yeah :)

Edit: Since the question came up in the other thread, I'll stipulate that all team communication must be contained within the thread, for the convenience of the observers and post game analysis.

Covski fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 13, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm going to be the radical and vote for Rock.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Gotta go with Paper, it is the best opening move

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Good old, predictable Rock.... is what the other team will use.

Paper!

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
oops, I didn't see the signup thread :(

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 13, 2017

MercurialOne
Feb 28, 2016
The other team is likely to open up with rock. That's why I say Paper.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'll go for paper I suppose.

quote:

As far as possible, try to explain your reasoning behind your suggested moves - exploring the thought processes that goes in to this is part of the fun.

Uh okay. It's because of peer pressure.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 13, 2017

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I like paper because I feel like people rarely lead with scissors.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
We should shake this paradigm up - go for a Pickaxe - smashes rocks, pierces papers, probably neutral against scissors.

It's from the expansion though, so we might not have it installed.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Elfface posted:

We should shake this paradigm up - go for a Pickaxe - smashes rocks, pierces papers, probably neutral against scissors.

It's from the expansion though, so we might not have it installed.

Back when I was on the school yard, I would sometimes play this game with well. Rock and Scissors fall in, paper lays on top and closes it up. In other words, that is a really stupid rule, since that thing is just strictly better than rock. Effectively no one would play rock, making well the new rock.
Those sentences sound so weird.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Back when I was on the school yard, I would sometimes play this game with well. Rock and Scissors fall in, paper lays on top and closes it up. In other words, that is a really stupid rule, since that thing is just strictly better than rock. Effectively no one would play rock, making well the new rock.
Those sentences sound so weird.

In fact, as the wikipedia page notes, any even number of moves would create an unfair advantage/disadvantage for certain moves.

Any odd number could create a fair game. For instance, a popular 5-way game is rock-paper-scissors-Spock-lizard.

Rock crushes scissors or lizard.
Paper covers rock or disproves Spock.
Scissors cuts paper or decapitates lizard.
Spock smashes scissors or vaporizes rock.
And lizard eats paper or poisons Spock.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Paper, and for a very specific reason.
In prison, or recess, this game was called 'Ro Sham Bo' as I'm sure some of you are aware of that game, if paper wins, you get to slap the opponent, if scissors wins, you get to do the double-poke to the eyes thing, and if rock wins, well, you get to slug them.
So paper because.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Sjs00 posted:

Paper, and for a very specific reason.
In prison, or recess, this game was called 'Ro Sham Bo' as I'm sure some of you are aware of that game, if paper wins, you get to slap the opponent, if scissors wins, you get to do the double-poke to the eyes thing, and if rock wins, well, you get to slug them.
So paper because.

Eye pokes hurt more than slaps so we should protect our eyes with a rock.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The result:

PAPER COVERS ROCK! TEAM LEFT WINS!

Current score: 1-0 in favour of Team Left, three points left to win.

Previous moves:

L: P-
R: R-

Round two begins now! Rock, paper or scissors?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Paper again. They're going to overthink this and try to avoid the impulse, when losing, to switch it up.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yay.
Scissors!
They saw how great our paper was and now they are going to imitate it.

This is surprisingly intense and fun.
I can't wait till it's over and I get to peek into the other threads.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 14, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Rock is the only choice. They will take scissors because they belive we will take paper again, so going with rock will win us the next round.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Paper again. All too often I find RPS players falling into the trap of "Hulk Always Throw Rock"; as AJ says, they'll overthink it and stick with Rock. Rock feels stronger, and they will need that feeling of strength and the reassurance it brings now that they're down 1-0.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rock because they'll assume we're going to be complacent and throw Paper again, so they're probably going to throw Scissors.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Paper is clearly the winning move this tournament.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Rock
They're likely to either re-throw Rock (draw) or go to scissors (win); they aren't likely to copy our Paper, because it doesn't make sense for us to go to scissors because they don't have a reason to believe in paper.

MercurialOne
Feb 28, 2016
I believe they're likely to think we'll stick with a winning move, because that's what the sign-up thread discussed. I say we change it up, we do ROCK

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

teardrop posted:

Eye pokes hurt more than slaps so we should protect our eyes with a rock.

True, however if we were in the same room I could demonstrate that using a paper-hand along one's nose you can successfully block an eye-poke maneuver; unless your opponent has freakishly long fingernails

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I find myself convinced by some of the arguments made in-thread, and am changing my vote from Paper to Rock.

(this is also a check to see if vote-changing is permitted.)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Paper has proven itself as the king. Continue to throw paper till we lose or at least till we've done it 3 times in a row.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 2 is finished!

The result:

ROCK BASHES INEFFECTUALLY AGAINST ROCK! IT IS A TIE!

Current score: 1-0 in favour of Team Left, three points left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PR-
R: RR-

Round three begins now! Rock, paper or scissors?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I told you to go with paper last time. This round, my gut says they're going to go rock again. Paper.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Snip

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 15, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

AJ_Impy posted:

I told you to go with paper last time. This round, my gut says they're going to go rock again. Paper.

Paper was right. All hail Paper.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rock

Lightning never strikes the same place twice!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

chitoryu12 posted:

Rock

Lightning never strikes the same place twice!

I find your lack of faith in Paper disturbing.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
For round three: a circle of logic leads back to rock again which means we should take scissor

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Paper. They won't change! They are too set in their ways!

MercurialOne
Feb 28, 2016
Scissors.

We're tempted to repeat rock, because we think they won't choose it again. But they'll think that of us and play paper.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Forever paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
No choice but to go with paper now. They probably think nobody expects them to go with rock three times in a row, but we are on to them!

• Locked thread