Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Interesting. But if Bif won Phase 1, what were we supposed to do when you continued the game?

And was Ahab's perceptoring of Bif a cock up on your part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Tirade posted:

Interesting. But if Bif won Phase 1, what were we supposed to do when you continued the game?

Play mafia.

quote:

That action failed like the rest.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Asphyxious posted:

That action failed like the rest.

He claimed that bif was a recruiter from his n3 action? loving impressive if he just guessed it and accused bif as a gambit.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tirade posted:

the whole fake cop thing was especially funny for me since I didn't even see why cops should exist :v:

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
I mean Ahab only got one investigation per night

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
That was a really cool game with a brilliant setup. Well played Bif, I can't believe we killed you without even realising that you were the baddie.

Also seconding Tirade's opinion on our overseas guests. You were all complete shitheads, never play an Auspol game again if you're not prepared to engage. I think Fisk and Ahab were the only ones who gave a poo poo.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I win because I was a rhyming master :colbert:

I love PRs they never got rolled out enough.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
This was a very interestiny setup and I appreciate all the time effort and energy gaspy put into it
for us to poo poo all over

I appreciate you gaspy

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Moatillata posted:

This was a very interestiny setup and I appreciate all the time effort and energy gaspy put into it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also herp a derp got myself pointlessly killed, I think I played Optimus Prime to a T

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Also herp a derp got myself pointlessly killed, I think I played Optimus Prime to a T

I figured on D1 you must be some obviously good-guy Autobot like Prime when you were going on about how embarrassed we'd all be for voting you.

But I tried to kill Tith instead cause I also wondered about him, and he seemed more dangerous while you could maybe still be a lunch candidate the next day.

That ended up working out pretty well :cheeky:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Moatillata posted:

T
H
X

G
A
S
P
Y

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Bifauxnen posted:

I figured on D1 you must be some obviously good-guy Autobot like Prime when you were going on about how embarrassed we'd all be for voting you.

But I tried to kill Tith instead cause I also wondered about him, and he seemed more dangerous while you could maybe still be a lunch candidate the next day.

That ended up working out pretty well :cheeky:

Curse you Unicron :argh:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Curse you Unicron :argh:

Now that I think of it again though. it might've been better for me if you hadn't protected Tith. If I'd still had you to shoot at N2, I wouldn't have wasted my NK on Coq who was still deathproof :v:

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Was interesting setup, wasn't mafia.

Tithin and Bifauxnen to comment on my post now that game is over.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

oh yes, thanks for the reminder.

Mills posted:

Today, I'm going to teach you the big brother of meta reads. It's called motivational read. When you read someone's post, ask yourself if you could see a towns person making that post. Ask yourself what the motivation is for making that post. If you can't find a reasonable town motivation, you may have found a member of the scum.

I totally agree with motivational reads in the situation trumping the broader meta reads. Unless my motivation is to shitpost. :v:

In a case like Fisk's though, it gets a bit WIFOMy, doesn't it - can you say someone had no scum motivation to lie like that if they don't actually ever suffer consequences for posting like that?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Next time I put on my tinfoil hat and talk about masons and neighbours and cults please spare me so I can find the nearest blackboard and red string and win the game.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

You are correct.

In a situation like Fisk's posting, you have to move to the third level of reads: tonal reads. It requires having spent enough time talking to or playing with another poster to pick up nuances in their posting styles that hint at earnestness or otherwise.

I don't know what to tell you other than that it was very obvious I believed Fisk was town and was posting and talking to him like I thought it was guaranteed.

Most players will never get to this point and just vote to lynch lurkers and "poo poo-posters" on D1 because of it.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
I thought it was interesting how Moat basically became Bif's scumbro even though his alignment didn't change (until Bif left anyway).

Would also love to see the Quintesson role in a game setting sometime.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

I thought it was interesting how Moat basically became Bif's scumbro even though his alignment didn't change (until Bif left anyway).

Would also love to see the Quintesson role in a game setting sometime.

Dont be jealous

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Mills posted:

Was interesting setup, wasn't mafia.

Agreed.

Going to address Bifs role - it was too much.

By default, town has one tool. The lynch. There's other powers, sure, and you equipped her to deal with those powers by making her immune to them.

Lynchproof on top of that power set is giving her a role explicitly designed to win. Lynchproof is an inherently towny based power because its existence as a meta tool is one that scum should not have. it functionally clears that individual from a meta perspective, and it was only at the end of the game I went "there's too much going on here for her to be a simple JOAT"

Frankly, it would take an exceptionally bad player to lose that role, and Bif is anything but a bad player.

Her role would have been "fine" without lynch immunity because it's the one true tool that a town has to protect itself. By giving anyone a once off immunity to it, at their discretion, you're functionally saying as a mod "this person is town"

For all that, there was clearly a lot of thought put into how the game was structured, and I am sorry it never progressed past phase 1.

This game really illustrates the problems of forum based mafia though, in that lurking is inherently giving a middle finger to the game moderator. I expect half the lurkers havent even checked in. Might do to implement a rule of allowing each player to play no more than 2 game simultaneously?

quote:

Tithin and Bifauxnen to comment on my post now that game is over.

I can't remember explicitly what I was going to write at the time, I don't even remember much of what you wrote excepting to say that you wanted us to consider perspective. I cannot speak for bif for this, but it's something I will consider whenever I read how someone writes. Usually when reading their post history, because I play mafia in a shitposty way until I sit down and read through someones writing en masse to determine how their writing perspective, either as scum pretending to be town, or as actual town.

The problem is that this leads as bif said to very WIFOMy view - because how I as an individual approach something is going to be different to how someone else would approach this.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wheelie should have been deathproof

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
CALL UP YOUR MECHANIC, TELL HIM HE'S A LITTLE B*TCH

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
mehh

atleast i voted for who i thought were baddies