Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Doctor J Off posted:

Imo first person shooters are all boring as hell and beyond played out. I already played Doom 25 years ago, just design a new game already!
Back in the day all you had to do was pirate quake 2 and instantly you had access to thousands of custom maps and could run a private server where you could play weird maps and weird rulesets with your friends. Now for $100 the season pass gets you 6 maps for you to play on public servers w/ the default scenarios, and then they'll drop the next 6 maps next year as a whole new game to make sure everyone stops playing the old one. It's like they don't really even want you to play it, just to buy it and move past it asap so you'll buy something else. It's sad is what it is.

Fur20 posted:

remember when assassins creed games used to be about NOT getting into combat, because assassins are specifically bad at fighting strong enemies without trickery and sneak attacks
Actually the early Assassins Creed games had the awful combat where you could aggro 100 guards and easily defeat them all with the assassin's blade by pressing counter when prompted as they slowly attacked one at a time

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Tetrabor posted:

I too enjoyed Mirrors Edge.

Was the second one any good?

Oh, I'm not talking about Mirror's Edge combat. Mirror's Edge combat sucks balls. To answer your question of whether I think the second one was good though, I'll just let these two clips speak for themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjBTxfgw9mI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7LFCeqjuWY

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

poverty goat posted:

Back in the day all you had to do was pirate quake 2 and instantly you had access to thousands of custom maps and could run a private server where you could play weird maps and weird rulesets with your friends. Now for $100 the season pass gets you 6 maps for you to play on public servers w/ the default scenarios, and then they'll drop the next 6 maps next year as a whole new game to make sure everyone stops playing the old one. It's like they don't really even want you to play it, just to buy it and move past it asap so you'll buy something else. It's sad is what it is.

It was fun to spin up a server with some more obscure mod and wait until someone randomly joined the game.

There was some pirate themed Half-Life mod I tested out and just fooled around alone for some time checking out the maps and weapons. Some rando joined the game and we spent a good while playing 1-on-1.

Everything gets a bit more boring as the technology and business matures and things get streamlined into perfect consumer product.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
:smug: Good morning, you're all just pretending to need this "medicine" because you're drug addicts.

:angel: Good evening, directed pharmaceutical use of amphetamines obviously enriches the lives of many itt and I just woul

Tetrabor posted:

I too enjoyed Mirrors Edge.

Was the second one any good?

lmao the second Mirror's Edge makes the first one look like a game as culturally impactful as Mario Bros.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

signalnoise posted:

Oh, I'm not talking about Mirror's Edge combat. Mirror's Edge combat sucks balls. To answer your question of whether I think the second one was good though, I'll just let these two clips speak for themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjBTxfgw9mI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7LFCeqjuWY

I was referring to your comments about making AC use context parkour to get through enemies instead of attacking to victory. The first Mirror's Edge relied on using parkour and context reactions to disable/disarm enemies that could kill you in two-three shots.

The second one does look atrocious though.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Quake 2 would be one person indie game worth of work today. The amount of work a game needs in order to look halfway decent for the console aaa crowd is insane. Part of the reason why those aaa games are kinda bland - they need to be safe.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tetrabor posted:

I was referring to your comments about making AC use context parkour to get through enemies instead of attacking to victory. The first Mirror's Edge relied on using parkour and context reactions to disable/disarm enemies that could kill you in two-three shots.

The second one does look atrocious though.

Sure sure, but what I'm talking about is just the way that the parkour system works in terms of how you use it in Assassin's Creed. You just point in a direction and hold a button for whether you want to go up or down. Rather than press a jump button, you just move towards a gap while indicating that you'd like to jump across. In the system I'm thinking of for Assassin's Creed combat, it works the same as the movement but by just holding a button to indicate the type of thing you want to do and which direction you want to move while doing it, and the system determines which action/animation to use depending on where terrain and enemy objects are relative to the player character. For example, move toward an enemy who has a scalable building behind him while holding the terrain parkour button, and you'll run up his chest and vault off his shoulders to grab the edge of the roof and mantle up. If you hold attack instead, you move past him while stabbing him in the gut. If he's attacking while you try to attack, you get hit instead, but if you hold the counter button while moving into an attack, you move past while countering the attack and stabbing him in the gut. If you use the counter button while moving towards him without an attack incoming, you go for a parry but just kind of bump into him instead like an idiot. If you successfully parry and still want to vault off him, press the parkour button in mid gut-stab after a parry. If there is a string of dudes you're approaching from stealth, hold the attack button while moving through them and you do a rapid sequence of kills as you move through them, and it looks sick as balls

Apply that kind of context awareness and a system of modes you switch between to determine how you will move and act given a situation, and make tons of animations so every possible context is covered and you're just a breeze of death flowing from target to target if you do it well.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Any time I ramble for a paragraph wall of text about how something would be rad as gently caress in a game just imagine I'm acting like Justice Kennedy in that Onion video about the death penalty

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Dude if you'll keep distracting us we'll never finish reading your posts.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I have no expectation of anyone fini

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
XCOM 2

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

My favorite soulslike

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Icochet posted:

My favorite soulslike

If you think about it,

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

signalnoise posted:

If you think about it,

No

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

venom sacs

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

But

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I said no

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FoolyCharged posted:

I remember how the first game ended with a colossal combat gauntlet. At least the first game tricked you into feeling stealthy and casing your targets before going in, but the reason I bounced off the series so hard was when I realized two games in that they were way too into their lovely combat system.

and it sucked so much! mu'adib was sooooo tough and i only won because i got a random instant kill against him :v:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Assassins creed games deserve to be dogpiled

I started playing Valhalla again (for about an hour) and drat you are so not an assassin. In Odyssey I ended up just wholesale slaughtering everyone in most encounters but it seems like the idea of sneaking up behind a lone guard when you're weak or picking them off one by one is just not in the game initially.

I guess Hitman and MGS are the only big stealth games now.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
mgs is as dead as anything, last game was nearly 6 years ago and the ip holder has left videogames.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 13, 2021

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

lurker2006 posted:

mgs is as dead as anything, last game was nearly 6 years ago and the ip holder has left videogames.

Hey now, Metal Gear Survive came out only 3 years ago! I'm sure once Konami realizes what they're missing they'll contract it out Kojima to make a new one :)

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

What the

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

My current playthrough in xcom 2 is in such an outlandish state of compete dispair that I can't bring myself to load it up, and haven't for days

Just all my best friends and ex girlfriends all wounded and getting pretty much erased on the battlefield over and over, avatar counter is all the way in the red, it's totally hopeless, a cacaoughony of dispair

XCOM 2 owns

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Sir I'm gonna need some legit honest opinion of yours about xcom 2,one of the best games ever made in my non ironic opinion

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
playing eso again on ps4. it's okay. ff14 is the better mmo by far if you want to do stuff as a group, but eso is okay for just fartin around and playing it like a big elder scrolls solo game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Floodixor posted:

My current playthrough in xcom 2 is in such an outlandish state of compete dispair that I can't bring myself to load it up, and haven't for days

Just all my best friends and ex girlfriends all wounded and getting pretty much erased on the battlefield over and over, avatar counter is all the way in the red, it's totally hopeless, a cacaoughony of dispair

XCOM 2 owns

Ok the friends I get, but I'd have a good laugh every time I lost an ex

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My wife thought the XCom2 character designer was cool and asked if she could make a soldier. I said sure and she basically tried to do Franka Potente from Run Lola Run. I was midway through the campaign at the time so the character was definitely third-string and saw no action at all until the base assault mission. I ran her out front to destroy the thing you have to blow up in that mission because I didn't really care if she died.

She accomplished her task and escaped with one hit point left, then went on to become an absolute devastator for the rest of the game. I don't think she missed more than three shots the entire game, shot up the ranks like a fiend. She was the first to encounter a Sectopod and escaped with one hp again. She became the anchor of the team, getting us out of one jam after another.

I got to the final battle of the game, killed one of the two dudes you gotta take out, then got overwhelmed by all the floppy guys and other enemies. There was absolutely no way I was going to be able to survive the next enemy turn. Lola took one last shot at the second dude you've gotta kill to win and the weapon mod that gives you a chance at an instakill triggered and won me the game.

My wife is still tickled to this day that the character she designed ended up becoming a game winning monster. With her blessing I deleted Lola after that run , because there's no way the character would ever perform that well again in a future campaign. Some heroes shouldn't get a sequel because it will never do them like they deserve.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Doctor J Off posted:

Hey now, Metal Gear Survive came out only 3 years ago! I'm sure once Konami realizes what they're missing they'll contract it out Kojima to make a new one :)

metal gear survive was kinda cool and i'd genuinely be interested in a sequel

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
xcom2 is one of those games i always feel inspired to sit down and punish myself on a day im really hangover. it's like when you wake up super early for some really and already resign yourself to the day being wasted, those are great video game days.
but every time i play it, im reminded why i don't like it. it's not hard in a fun way it's just hard in a ugh, way. i always turn it off on the random ufo defense mission. it also runs like poo poo on ps4.
maybe ill give it a try if i get a pc and get mods and poo poo.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I stopped playing it because I got really sick of the 'reveal a tile at the wrong time = death' mechanic, and I thought the War of the Chosen expansion was more annoying than entertaining (they just...won't...shut...up).

But I had a lot of fun with it before I got to that point and I think it's a good game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Floodixor posted:

Sir I'm gonna need some legit honest opinion of yours about xcom 2,one of the best games ever made in my non ironic opinion

It's alright.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I stopped playing it because I got really sick of the 'reveal a tile at the wrong time = death' mechanic, and I thought the War of the Chosen expansion was more annoying than entertaining (they just...won't...shut...up).

But I had a lot of fun with it before I got to that point and I think it's a good game.

It is pretty annoying

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Well, i just got done playing a game of modded openxcom and an alien jumped out the cargo door of a supply ship, landing right next to one of my soldiers. So, of course, the alien decided to throw a grenade and blow himself and the soldier up. He could've killed the soldier with snap shots with his gun(grenades cost far more to prime and throw than any weapon to snap shot) but just thought this was the better choice.

What I mean to say is, the old x-com is no picnic and full of arbitrary deaths even while being less 'artificial' than the new games where they do care about what you can see.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it's weird because original new xcom was one of very, VERY few games i beat that year and i remember enjoying it a lot, but like i got the expansion on my phone and the sequel on switch and apparently when i'm not blindingly fried from flying multiple times a week for work i kinda loving hate it

it's got a lot of things that i really like just implemented in the dumbest and most annoying loving way possible

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The enemy within expansion is great. It had such an elegant solution to the move two squares and overwatch problem with the introduction of meld. Plus mecs and the android parts were dope as hell. And the base defence.

2 was a huge letdown and not just because it ran like poo poo at launch

Woden
May 6, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yeah that expansion sucked, so much extra busywork that's just a chore to deal with and the power creep breaks the balance.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Vic posted:

Quake 2 would be one person indie game worth of work today.

One person, to buy all the stuff from other people off the peg and mush it together into a mess that's hopefully held up by gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

lurker2006 posted:

I've heard that Konami has booked a slot at E3 this year. We will see what that means.