Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cartoon Man posted:

I heard she’s not even in the game that long.

Whhaaaat!???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Boycott Capcaom

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

More like crapcom

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yakuza being a weird example of a JRPG that starts out with real-time combat but then moved to turn-based.

Kinda wish they'd have just fixed the combat and made it fun instead of throwing in the towel but I'm not a huge yakuza guy in the first place

Play
Apr 25, 2006

itry posted:

Necromunda and Atomic Heart seem interesting :shrug:

The first game looks like a phone game that's mostly cutscenes though.

I was being a bit hyperbolic, Necromunda was actually one of the only ones that looked pretty decent and like it will actually look like how it is presented there, although I didn't like Space Hulks which was made by the same people.

A lot of them (including atomic heart) basically just look like vapor ware that will never truly exist as presented and if they do ever come out they won't be anything like their trailers and probably won't be good either

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

lmao apparently every new yakuza game is going to be a jrpg

i honestly thought this was a late april fools' joke when i read the headline. weren't the yakuza games like a GTA based in glorious nippon?

No, they’re more like if Die Hard Arcade had a 40 hour long story and sidequests.

Which, frankly, is fuckin’ rad. And Y7 was extremely good for the studio’s first take on a JRPG.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

i totally misread yakuza. i think i should check one out. the non-JRPG ones sound kinda like my poo poo.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The yakuza games are all incredibly bad. I thought that changing the combat system might have fixed it but it's still just as bad

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

fridge corn posted:

The yakuza games are all incredibly bad.

Counterpoint: nah they are very good actually

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sleeping dogs is yakuza + gta, so just subtract the gta parts from sleeping dogs in your minds eye and see if that looks like a game you'd like

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

Counterpoint: nah they are very good actually

They are all mildly amusing quirky crime dramas wrapped up in some of the most uninspired gameplay imaginable. I would honestly have more appreciation for them if they were literally VNs. And I hate and refuse to ever play a VN

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If you ignore the terrible car bits in Fist of the North Star it's by far the best Yakuza. Then again, God Hand is the best FotNS game so there's that.

Anyway, I just tried out the latest free game from Epic called Pine. It's a cheaply made Breath of the Wild but it seems ok. Visually it's nothing but it's still pretty cool to look out over the land and see all the spots you could go to. Controls well enough and the music is good. Also seems like there's a system for befriending various clans of beasts and that might be interesting. Well worth it if you don't want to pay money to photograph Pokeymans or being tortured by a big vampire mommy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v0wPfWqvzY

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

I wanted to play RE8 until I got to the part in the demo where you're slowly moving forward to see the invincible chaser enemy leave the room unaware of your presence and hey I've played this game already with the 3D models switched

and the merchant referencing ARE YOU BUYIN was a bit eyerolly

you played too much resident evils lmao

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
playing only actually half an hour of the hour demo of RE8 I'm not sure what the fuss is. the crafting systewm is loving super lovely, lol you can "make bullets," somehow, from the menu, with no tools, without the required materials to make a bullet, and also you can do this while being actively bitten in the neck by a zombie. lmao im half tempted to get the game and play it with invincibility and no crafting cheats on because the shooting parts of the game sucked almost as much as the joke crafting system they left in, presumably by accident

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't think there is any game franchise I could possibly enjoy eight iterations of unless they actually varied a lot in gameplay/style and were just keeping the name.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
also some loving idiot you save literal just gets herself killed for no reason, forgot her name, but gently caress you lady, you got what you wanted i guess but if you wanted to die horribly all along im not sure why they even let you be in cut scenes more than once

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Meme Poker Party posted:

I don't think there is any game franchise I could possibly enjoy eight iterations of unless they actually varied a lot in gameplay/style and were just keeping the name.

why would someone necessarily have played every single previous iteration? I doubt that is the case for most people, and really this is the only the second RE game in first person which is a huge stylistic change.

also they remade two of them so i think 8 is too low actually

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Khanstant posted:

playing only actually half an hour of the hour demo of RE8 I'm not sure what the fuss is. the crafting systewm is loving super lovely, lol you can "make bullets," somehow, from the menu, with no tools, without the required materials to make a bullet, and also you can do this while being actively bitten in the neck by a zombie. lmao im half tempted to get the game and play it with invincibility and no crafting cheats on because the shooting parts of the game sucked almost as much as the joke crafting system they left in, presumably by accident

its true you should have to lug around a hand re-loader with the right size dies, and if you get it wrong, there's a 50% your ammo blows up in your face and you die

ultimate fuckin' realism in my giantess vampire titty games plzzz

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Play posted:

why would someone necessarily have played every single previous iteration? I doubt that is the case for most people, and really this is the only the second RE game in first person which is a huge stylistic change.

also they remade two of them so i think 8 is too low actually

yeah there's also code veronica and the umbrella chronicle games. i kinda zoned out of RE after like the first half of RE4.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just lol if you haven't played all 7 previous mainline games and code Veronica, the 3 remakes, the 4 on rails shooters, gaiden, both revelations, ORC, and the two outbreaks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

its true you should have to lug around a hand re-loader with the right size dies, and if you get it wrong, there's a 50% your ammo blows up in your face and you die

or how about they place some loving ammo around the level like normal people instead of placing dip-cans inexplicably filled with gunpowder that i somehow mix with raw rusty scrap metal

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
running over a floating, spinning medpack or ammo box laying on the ground is always better than a game that makes you go into the menu to "craft" something

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

A better option would be to realize that crafting is poo poo and just stop including it in every video game ever for no reason other than to have it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
on the other hand, also make a real crafting game just once. let me recreate the boring parts of Primitive Technology youtubes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Play posted:

I watched this video the other day and basically the whole time I was thinking: none of these games are actually going to be good

https://youtu.be/XEiARsyZtsA

the militsonier game at least has a unique concept. the rest of these games were literaly more doomclones. hey, if your game promarily involves a little gun floating at the bottom of the screen that you ust shoot things over and over with: your game is stupid, the players playing it are stupid, nd you should feel stupid for making another one of these stupid things, did you do it on purpose? did you not have any good or new ideas? does your boss have a gun for a brain, why is this happening ever again between doom ,quake, goldeneye, pong, youve got enough of the dumbass genre to last you a lifetime

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Khanstant posted:

running over a floating, spinning medpack or ammo box laying on the ground is always better than a game that makes you go into the menu to "craft" something

I don't think that seems better at all... especially in terms of "realism" which some of you seem pretty concerned about. The reason they have the crafting of ammo is probably so they can limit the amount of ammo available but ALSO let you choose which weapon you prefer and want to get ammo for.

I gotta say the reasons some people come up with to hate video games are pretty hilarious at times. Especially brand new video games that many haven't even played yet. Not like, gameplay or story or graphics or sound but these teeny tiny little details which they rush into the thread to tell us about. Not trying to make fun of anyone but it seems a bit absurd from the outside.

RE has already had unrealistic crafting for a long time and it worked fine for my purposes. In fact making it any more realistic would just be dumb because it's not about crafting it's about limiting the amount of ammo available but still letting you use the gun you want

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More

Lurk Ethic posted:

I'm bad at fps so bioshock sucks

I'm better at bioshock now and it's loving awesome

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Meme Poker Party posted:

Oh I thought you were talking about Yakuza too

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I haven't played the later re games, but crafting made sense in the earlier ones because you had so little inventory space and resources that the decisions on whether to craft or not and what to craft with your stuff actually mattered.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I am looking forward to the mass effect remasters that come out next week. They are fun, campy space operas with silly magic powers and I'm buying them day one.

The only other games I buy day one are Yakuza/ Judgment and EDF games. Also miles Morales I guess because it came with my PS5 otherwise I would've waited.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The only game I would even consider buying day one is Elden Ring

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm honestly a little tempted to preorder Biomutant. Even though I've never preordered a game before and there really is no reason to start now. It looks cool! And super different. I probably won't though because what's one extra class vs. being able to see if it's even a halfway decent game and/or waiting until it's patched and cheap.

Also just ordered a new 6 TB hard drive so no longer will I ever have to delete old games, and my rampant piracy can continue unchecked :devil:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Play posted:

no longer will I ever have to delete old games

lmao see you in a year

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Lurk Ethic posted:

I'm better at bioshock now and it's loving awesome

bioshock is a failure as a 0451 game

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ruffian Price posted:

lmao see you in a year

dammit you know me too well, Ruffian Price!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

fridge corn posted:

The only game I would even consider buying day one is Elden Ring

I definitely wouldn't on PC, seeing how buggy some of From's previous ports were before patches

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Seeing GRRM and Miyazaki collaborate is kind of weird since the former writes lavish descriptions of food and Miyazaki just puts out a couple sentences about bread.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I remember food being in a lot of Spirited Away, from the crazy buffets to the newt treat thing the boiler man bribes someone with. I think the main character cures the dragon boy by feeding him something? Been a while since I've seen it but yeah I remember a lot of food.

Kiki works at a bakery and spends a whole scene making a weird pie for an old lady too I guess lol

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PinheadSlim posted:

I remember food being in a lot of Spirited Away, from the crazy buffets to the newt treat thing the boiler man bribes someone with. I think the main character cures the dragon boy by feeding him something? Been a while since I've seen it but yeah I remember a lot of food.

Kiki works at a bakery and spends a whole scene making a weird pie for an old lady too I guess lol

The girl in Spirited Away has a great scene of just eating the hell out of onigiri.

And the Michael Jackson sounding ghost gets poisoned but gets better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LazFbJxk0Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spirited Away sucks but where is my Princess Mononoke asymetrical multiplayer game where one side plays factorio and the other is terrorists blowing it up?