Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Hayao Miyazaki is not collaborating with GRRM on a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Bragging about how you wait for games to get cheaper is really funny to me. Like okay dude, you waited for 6 months and saves 25 bucks, you're a genius, such a discerning consumer, its amazing what you did.

I feel like thats also the kind of guy who has a steam list full of stuff they bought on sale but never played.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Triarii posted:

Hayao Miyazaki is not collaborating with GRRM on a video game.

he should

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

But it's good to not pay full price for overpriced games, which in general is any game that costs more than 30 bucks.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

All games are overpriced as long as there are people making other games for free

God, it's like none of you are rational actors!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Compares game price to cost of dinner and a movie*

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
A Princess Monoke game would be awesome.

That doesn't take away from how great Spirited Away is.

So many playable characters. I'd go with Billy Bob Thornton's monk.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Lady Eboshi reminds me of The Lady from The Black Company and I adore her for it.

Just a complete badass outmaneuvering her rivals every single day, even when they're gods.

edit : come to think of it, they both change the game in their respective worlds by making guns lmao

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

But it's good to not pay full price for overpriced games, which in general is any game that costs more than 30 bucks.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Bragging about how you wait for games to get cheaper is really funny to me. Like okay dude, you waited for 6 months and saves 25 bucks, you're a genius, such a discerning consumer, its amazing what you did.

Its very funny to hear about the issues people are having with returnal but i suppose paying 60 dollars to be a videogame bug tester is cool for some folk.

Or hey, maybe ill just pop that 60 quid i saved from watching an re8 stream into something more useful - like a mortgage

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Excuse me but have you considered that staring blankly at a wall and muttering to yourself is free entertainment? You clowns are all wasting your money on games

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

For entertainment, I scream until I pass out. When I wake up, I do it again.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Or hey, maybe ill just pop that 60 quid i saved from watching an re8 stream into something more useful - like a mortgage

you're just gonna spend that money on other video games, not your mortgage

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'll have you know every dollar I would have spent on new games I spend on weed :colbert:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Caesar Saladin posted:

I feel like thats also the kind of guy who has a steam list full of stuff they bought on sale but never played.

i was going to write a pithy rebuttal, laced with liberal dollops of sarcasm,...until i checked my steam library.

i own over 1600 games.

one thousand and six hundred.

i am that guy.

please help me.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 8, 2021

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

I heard she’s not even in the game that long.

That is the first miss step for 8, at the top of a very long staircase.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Play posted:

Kinda wish they'd have just fixed the combat and made it fun instead of throwing in the towel but I'm not a huge yakuza guy in the first place

That just made me picture a literal huge yakuza guy, just 20 feet tall in a tailored suit

Barudak posted:

Spirited Away sucks but where is my Princess Mononoke asymetrical multiplayer game where one side plays factorio and the other is terrorists blowing it up?

We need more asymmetric multiplayer game, that sounds like a blast. Like one side is playing a RTS and the other side is playing an action-RPG.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We need more asymmetric multiplayer game, that sounds like a blast. Like one side is playing a RTS and the other side is playing an action-RPG.

Some of the most fun I ever had in an online FPS was playing as the terrorists in modded realistic Battlefield 2. I forget what it was called but it was like Squad before Squad was a thing.

Setting up a cellphone activated IED attack against invading imperialists is :discourse:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Death Stranding is my first experience with asymmetric multiplayer and building zip lines to help other players is a lot of fun.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There are just so many good games out in the world from the past 30+ years of game development that if I really want to buy a new game right today I'm probably not going to pick the one that released a week ago, is spending lots of money on marketing to build hype, and is selling for full price. A game from just 6 months earlier will have enough time for the artificial hype to have died down so you can hear real people's opinions on whether the game is fun etc, plus you'll save :20bux:

though I might buy a game on release if it looks really good and I get caught up in the hype anyway, or if I want to play with my friends

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 8, 2021

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
You gotta get the game now, lest you will be out of the loop and you'll be out of touch

you'll be left behind

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

QuarkJets posted:

Excuse me but have you considered that staring blankly at a wall and muttering to yourself is free entertainment? You clowns are all wasting your money on games

While this is a joke post to highlight some strange point im comfortable saying I'd rather stare at a wall than play an assassins creed game

itry
Aug 23, 2019

tango alpha delta posted:

i was going to write a pithy rebuttal, laced with liberal dollops of sarcasm,...until i checked my steam library.

i own over 1600 games.

one thousand and six hundred.

i am that guy.

please help me.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Speaking of full priced games... I really would buy RE8 right about now, but what with the price, the FOV, the apparent (according to some reviews) lack of ratio compatibility other than 16:9, Denuvo... I think I'll wait.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

itry posted:

Speaking of full priced games... I really would buy RE8 right about now, but what with the price, the FOV, the apparent (according to some reviews) lack of ratio compatibility other than 16:9, Denuvo... I think I'll wait.

I watched most of it being streamed while WFH yesterday - it looks great, I love resident evil games but yeah lmao at paying £60 for a game you've beat 8 hours later thats actually just stupid

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I definitely wouldn't on PC, seeing how buggy some of From's previous ports were before patches

Thank god I dont have a pc and have a ps5 instead

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Caesar Saladin posted:

Nobody saying this is bragging about it, its just whenever somebody says something like that the ppl who buy games on release feel personally attacked and go into an insane defense mode

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
lmao reading some posts about Returnal - "I am not having fun with this videogame but I feel compelled to keep playing it"

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I watched most of it being streamed while WFH yesterday - it looks great, I love resident evil games but yeah lmao at paying £60 for a game you've beat 8 hours later thats actually just stupid

It's interesting that 60 pounds was the cutoff point where people seemed to have the automatic "it's too expensive for a game". It's just the number too, even if games were sometimes more expensive in the past from inflation, big number + video game = scared consumers. For here it was games that are higher than $99.99 that are suddenly too much.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lmao reading some posts about Returnal - "I am not having fun with this videogame but I feel compelled to keep playing it"

A permadeath rouge lite which has run killing bugs? sign me up!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Collapsing Farts posted:

You gotta get the game now, lest you will be out of the loop and you'll be out of touch

you'll be left behind

I'm out of time

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Flannelette posted:

It's interesting that 60 pounds was the cutoff point where people seemed to have the automatic "it's too expensive for a game". It's just the number too, even if games were sometimes more expensive in the past from inflation, big number + video game = scared consumers. For here it was games that are higher than $99.99 that are suddenly too much.

A permadeath rouge lite which has run killing bugs? sign me up!

I wouldn't say that 60 pounds is the cutoff for me necessarily, it's more the runtime in combination with the price in combination with just maybe getting a bit sick and tired of feeling like I'd been caught up in the hype machine for videogames once too many times. The financial and time aspect will way wildly from person to person but i'd like to think almost everyone can agree that the videogame industry is just a little too reliant on marketing dupes.

The Returnal one is just funny but I guess people are happy to pay at being bug testers thesedays. Very much enjoying the schadenfreude from people turning on it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would rather play a very difficult game than an easy one that uses exploding dice as a mechanic.

gently caress exploding dice.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah the shrapnel gets everywhere

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Play posted:

I don't think that seems better at all... especially in terms of "realism" which some of you seem pretty concerned about. The reason they have the crafting of ammo is probably so they can limit the amount of ammo available but ALSO let you choose which weapon you prefer and want to get ammo for.

I gotta say the reasons some people come up with to hate video games are pretty hilarious at times. Especially brand new video games that many haven't even played yet. Not like, gameplay or story or graphics or sound but these teeny tiny little details which they rush into the thread to tell us about. Not trying to make fun of anyone but it seems a bit absurd from the outside.

RE has already had unrealistic crafting for a long time and it worked fine for my purposes. In fact making it any more realistic would just be dumb because it's not about crafting it's about limiting the amount of ammo available but still letting you use the gun you want

not asking for the crafting to be more realistic, im asking for it to be removed. crafting system is just stupid in a game like this and there are obviously other ways to handle universal ammo than mixing rusty metal with tins of powder. for that matter, guns and ammo should be rarer and less effective anyway but call of duty sells the most so obviously they go that direction.

Resident Evil series apparently just loving sucks, I didn't know until I tried the demo of village and heard the weak defense now I know. theyre lovely games and long time players are more than happy to turn a blind eye to it, so what?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Khanstant posted:

not asking for the crafting to be more realistic, im asking for it to be removed.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Khanstant posted:

not asking for the crafting to be more realistic, im asking for it to be removed. crafting system is just stupid in a game like this and there are obviously other ways to handle universal ammo than mixing rusty metal with tins of powder. for that matter, guns and ammo should be rarer and less effective anyway but call of duty sells the most so obviously they go that direction.

Resident Evil series apparently just loving sucks, I didn't know until I tried the demo of village and heard the weak defense now I know. theyre lovely games and long time players are more than happy to turn a blind eye to it, so what?

Make this poster the CEO of video games

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

crafting in resident evil is good because a lot of the time it lets you make a choice between different ammo and other resources while still maintaining some sense of scarcity, its much better than your standard crafting in games. where you just collect stuff for the sake of it.

that post is terrible

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

crafting in resident evil is good because a lot of the time it lets you make a choice between different ammo and other resources while still maintaining some sense of scarcity, its much better than your standard crafting in games. where you just collect stuff for the sake of it.

that post is terrible

oh wow what an incredible mechanic unlike all those other games with a dumbass crafting mechanic, which never make exactly the same claims and choices in every conceivable way.

even people who like village and play it on hard are noting they end up with more ammo and resourcves they can use even when mowing down every zombie like theyre playing house of the dead. kind of ssoundsl ike theyre the same poo poo at this point, except i dont think house of the dead wastes your time by making you go into the menu to use a code to spawn yourself ammo

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

you're a huge dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you waste some much ammo you think the resources in RE8 are rare