Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

sorry i didn't like your garbage island JON

Haha poo poo time to rereg again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Talos Principle? More like Tall rear end pee nipple!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Love to make multiple insanely long-rear end posts in the video game troll thread

Yeah it's so uncool to talk about games in a thread about games. CONSUME. ONLY CONSUME. NO THINK JUST CONSUME. Headlines only!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

No man's sky will be really cool in 20 years when computers exist that can play it without constant hitching and pop in

For Eve this took about 20 years, so

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The Witness is a fantastic puzzle game and the environment is really cool and the hunt for "environmental puzzles" is really fun, but the audio logs, videos, and meta-"plot" are all absolute horseshit. Like a goddamn freshman philosophy student that just discovered postmodernism for the first time cornered you at a party. Jonathan Blow is a loving genius-level game designer and a goddamn moron of a philosopher. Also, I really hate how it has no accommodation whatsoever for people with disabilities (particularly colorblindness and hearing impairment). So I simultaneously love this game and hate it; it lives rent-free in my brain.

If anyone's played The Witness, but you haven't played the free parody game The Looker, you absolutely should.

The Talos Principle is so unlike The Witness that I am struggling to understand why anyone would compare them, other than to contrast how completely different they are. TW has good puzzles and bad philosophy; TTP has bad puzzles and good philosophy.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the next big steam game is an idle clicker that plays the games in your steam backlog

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Coming soon to Steam "Install the Game!"

When you download and install the game you win! Achievements include keeping it installed for 3 months, never clicking the exe, and installing it straight to your program files folder instead of the Steam folder.

If you ever uninstall you lose.

The file size is 100 gb.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

limp_cheese posted:

Coming soon to Steam "Install the Game!"

When you download and install the game you win! Achievements include keeping it installed for 3 months, never clicking the exe, and installing it straight to your program files folder instead of the Steam folder.

If you ever uninstall you lose.

The file size is 100 gb.

Don't doxx me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

EAs gonna sue for copyright infringement

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Talos Principle? More like Tall rear end pee nipple!

The Talos Principle is a spectacular game in the sense that no one else has ever managed to produce so much god drat motion sickness outside of VR, and for no good reason.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It used to be called The TempleOS Principle.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

dsf posted:

Gothic 2 is better than any of the Dark Souls games

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gothic 2 is better than a number of games.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
To have fun with games is to play them with other people. Raise the stakes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMxyOU3XL8E

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I dare anyone to go for nil with me

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

hawowanlawow posted:

No man's sky will be really cool in 20 years when computers exist that can play it without constant hitching and pop in

No man's sky will be really cool in 20 years when developers exist that can add depth to gameplay without constantly adding new and shallow features.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Next update of NMS will add racial themes.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'm with you on the "explore an interact with a strange environment thing" though. I've been playing with the idea of writing an interactive fiction game with a visual map you can navigate and hand drawn, still images of the scenes/characters you come across in a setting with a really dense and alien culture. Just really make something where your interactions aren't limited to violence or explicit problem solving. I really should just draft out a general structure and start working on it because I'm capable of doing the work myself

dude as I get older I am just generally turned off by violence and there are very few good games where you don't have to kill or beat up anyone.

what i'm saying is it sounds good

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

DontMockMySmock posted:

TW has good puzzles and bad philosophy; TTP has bad puzzles and good philosophy.

If there is philosophy in a game then it sucks

The only philosophy I want to see in a game is chicks with big boobs and dudes with guns killing things in an open-world environment with radiant AI and quests about chicks with big boobs

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

The only philosophy I want to see in a game is chicks with big boobs and dudes with guns killing things in an open-world environment with radiant AI and quests about chicks with big boobs

The buxom barmaid says, "Haven't seen you around here before, stranger!"

Response options:

1. *look away shyly*
2. *zone out staring at boobs*
3. "Need anything carried?"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Literally A Person posted:

This is Philosophy you idiot, it's Plato's Allegory of the Babe

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is Philosophy you idiot, it's Plato's Allegory of the Babe

Breasts: An Ethical And Moral Exploration Of Mammary Philosophy Through Time

by Literally A. Person

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Enlightened Gentlegamer's Reading List:
Heidegger's Introduction to Breastphysics
David Foster Wallace's Both Flesh and Shot
Sartre's The Transcendence of the Ego (helpful for getting over your friends making fun of you for playing titty games on Steam)

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

People actually listened to the audio logs and poo poo in the witness? drat, my condolences

Wasn't one of those movies like an hour long

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I liked the Witness and I thought it was cool when I got my first environmental puzzle and it made me see the world differently. Then it lit up one of the symbols on a little pillar and I saw there were a bunch of pillars and each once had like a million symbols on it and I instantly lost all will to play.

Talos was okay, but with all its stuff about breaking out of your predefined path and free will I was expecting them to do some sort of mind bending meta game that just never appeared. The gameplay and puzzles were all pretty straight forward start to finish, with the only noteworthy bit being when you shoot a beam from one puzzle into another one. The Witness was more off the rails than Talos. I was expecting some Icepick Lodge you were playing the game wrong the whole time because we didn't tell you how it really works level poo poo which was probably unfair.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 3, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Triarii posted:

People actually listened to the audio logs and poo poo in the witness? drat, my condolences

Wasn't one of those movies like an hour long

I watched a youtube video about the game and never played it so I may be misremembering, but iirc the "true secret ending" that you get for doing some obnoxiously bullshit timed randomized sequence of puzzles that you can't google answers to is an hour-long video lecture about how pathetic it is that you waste your time playing video games and solving obnoxiously bullshit timed randomized sequences of puzzles without considering what a big waste of time it is.

edit: Oh yeah and there's a specific timed point near the end of the video that you have to do ANOTHER timed secret puzzle during and if you miss it or don't complete it you have to re-watch the entire hour-long lecture.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 3, 2023

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

I watched a youtube video about the game and never played it so I may be misremembering, but iirc the "true secret ending" that you get for doing some obnoxiously bullshit timed randomized sequence of puzzles that you can't google answers to is an hour-long video lecture about how pathetic it is that you waste your time playing video games and solving obnoxiously bullshit timed randomized sequences of puzzles without considering what a big waste of time it is.

Nope.

The “true ending” comes from following some clues, no timer

There is a timed gauntlet that’s only good for an achievement

The hour-long lecture is optional, but also does let you complete an optional environmental puzzle that has zero effect on anything other than “I did it”

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

All this talk is making me want to give the Witness another go. I like the open undirected gameplay but man it gets daunting when you realize how much stuff there is to look for. I didn't want to look at a walkthrough to see what's important because I wanted the natural experience, but it just gets overwhelming at some point.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Nice Van My Man posted:

All this talk is making me want to give the Witness another go. I like the open undirected gameplay but man it gets daunting when you realize how much stuff there is to look for. I didn't want to look at a walkthrough to see what's important because I wanted the natural experience, but it just gets overwhelming at some point.

None of the game's puzzle content, or any content at all, is locked behind the environmental stuff, you can just skip it if you want.

I think that hunting for them is fun but ymmv.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Well I guess I’ll weigh in. I copped an Xbox series x with all the bells and whistles about a year ago. The result was less than stellar. Sure I dropped some time on halo and forza but how much tie can you spend on such samey environments? I was on gamepass aka the monthly subscription to a bunch of crap you don’t want to play….a bunch of OLD re released junk.

Not to mention the very real under discussed problem where Xbox uses violence and “mature” content as a standin for decent writing and actual fun gameplay….sure the graphics in gears are sharp… but wtf is with the chainsaw brutality. It’s like a 5th graders idea of what mature adults would want. The result was my 500+ dollar Xbox with all the trimmings became a dust collector.

Finally this week I was blessed enough to cop an OLED switch and the results couldn’t be happier. I’ve copped Mario Odessy and BOTW and Havnt even opened BOTW yet because I’m having such a time flying though colorful worlds with my friend Mario….and there are still shelves upon shelves of beautiful PHYSICAL (imagine that) games to cop which I won’t be waiting hours to download. The switch is a TRIUMPH for gamers everywhere and the Xbox ( and I can only presume the PlayStation) are a fail.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gears of War is absolutely aimed at toddlers and small children, as evidenced by the 45 minute unskippable tutorial that teaches you complex controls like how to "move forward" or how to "strafe left" and makes you demonstrate each one at least three times, with dialog in between each demonstration congratulating you on being such a fast learner. In the fifth game in the series.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 3, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
xbox and playstation are exactly the same thing besides a handful of exclusive games that are only exclusive for political consolewar reasons

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

xbox and playstation are exactly the same thing besides a handful of exclusive games that are only exclusive for political consolewar reasons

So both junk then. Transmission recieved

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

None of the game's puzzle content, or any content at all, is locked behind the environmental stuff, you can just skip it if you want.

I think that hunting for them is fun but ymmv.

I'm in a weird in between place where I think hunting for them is fun, but then I see how much I'm missing and wonder what's even the point because I'm always going to be missing a bunch. The completionist part of my brain is stopping me from having any fun.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

nom epique posted:

Well I guess I’ll weigh in. I copped an Xbox series x with all the bells and whistles about a year ago. The result was less than stellar. Sure I dropped some time on halo and forza but how much tie can you spend on such samey environments? I was on gamepass aka the monthly subscription to a bunch of crap you don’t want to play….a bunch of OLD re released junk.

Not to mention the very real under discussed problem where Xbox uses violence and “mature” content as a standin for decent writing and actual fun gameplay….sure the graphics in gears are sharp… but wtf is with the chainsaw brutality. It’s like a 5th graders idea of what mature adults would want. The result was my 500+ dollar Xbox with all the trimmings became a dust collector.
<snip>

You should play Immortality on you xbox.
It got its M rating just from boobs and sex.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Issaries posted:

You should play Immortality on you xbox.
It got its M rating just from boobs and sex.

This is the kind of sinful junk that’s not the vibe

lucking foser
Jan 10, 2023
Revenant Saga is the definitive kemco jrpg and you should all play it

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Since Nintendo proved you can say “That didn’t count!” and call a do over for the generation with the whole WiiU>Switch thing, I wonder when Sony and Microsoft will try the same with the PS5 and Series X?

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

galagazombie posted:

Since Nintendo proved you can say “That didn’t count!” and call a do over for the generation with the whole WiiU>Switch thing, I wonder when Sony and Microsoft will try the same with the PS5 and Series X?

Microsoft can’t even produce their junk system that has no games. It’s never in stores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

galagazombie posted:

the wiiu and switch have different hardware gimmicks though

the ps5.5 and seriesbox2 would still just be "a box with a gpu in it, bigger than the last box's gpu" and they'll have all the same issues (i.e. that the bigger gpu doesn't actually matter and devs + players can just keep putting all their games on the old one for the same experience)