Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a Series S and would like the digital PS5. Games are fun. I like the exclusives on PS5 for stories and great singleplayer experiences. I like Xbox and gamepass for general playing and shooters and fun games that I don't have to sink a bunch of time into.

I like games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pick a lane, coward

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I also play games on my PC sometimes.

But really I have a busy life so games are a sometimes thing anyway, not something I feel dedicated to. A shameful life.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Da Switch sucks, da Xbox Series X sucks, da PS5 sucks. This gen of consoles is 🖕🖕🖕🖕

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Games are for entertainment

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I was late to the goldeneye party so I didn't give a poo poo about the multiplayer but quite enjoyed the single player campaign.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins for the PSP is so loving frustrating it makes Elden Ring's difficulty look like Blue's Clues Birthday Adventure. gently caress this game.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Those games are for masochists

Wait I'm thinking of ghouls n ghosts

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

tango alpha delta posted:

Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins for the PSP is so loving frustrating it makes Elden Ring's difficulty look like Blue's Clues Birthday Adventure. gently caress this game.

The OG one for the NES was a real ball buster too

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Those games are for masochists

Wait I'm thinking of ghouls n ghosts

whats the canonical difference between Ghosts and Goblins vs Ghouls And Ghosts

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

I was late to the goldeneye party so I didn't give a poo poo about the multiplayer but quite enjoyed the single player campaign.

Single player is very addictive especially some levels like Silo.

I think it's a combination of it being really fun to just shoot things plus the objectives don't feel tacked on and just flow with the action. I seriously find myself playing at least 4-5 levels before I tell myself to take a break. Also, the difficulty ramping up and the objectives piling on add to the replay.

People are also bitching about how the Switch version controls like rear end and all I have to say to that is GoldenEye was literally made for the N64 controller. Like, it's insanely hard without being able to strafe with the C-buttons, for example if you are going for 00 Agent runs (though they were aware and tried). It's game design is built around the N64 controller and playing it any other way is going to feel wrong and frustrating.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Literally A Person posted:

Someone tell console developers that

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Someone tell console developers that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsgBy3MOtEw

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

Adorable.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You can make all the walking simulators you want while a dork reads a bad bunch of essays as voice over, but i'll be over here cruising through the air right now getting platinum medals in Neon White being rad as hell.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Pick a lane, coward

Jungle plz

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't blame you at all Caesar Saladin, if I had a dorky voice I'd get tired of hearing dorky voices in games too

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

dude as I get older I am just generally turned off by violence and there are very few good games where you don't have to kill or beat up anyone.

what i'm saying is it sounds good

I've been exploring Appalachia in Fallout 76 and killed a frog because I'm so accustomed to every mutated creature trying to kill you in Falls Out. Then I felt sad about it once I realized I was supposed to pick it up and build a habitat for it :(

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Just finished up Pentiment. It's a fantastic game if you're after a drama set in 16th century Austria. It's exactly what it says on the box and I really appreciate that.

I'd say it's Obsidian's best work if I weren't a huge New Vegas dweeb. Alas.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've been exploring Appalachia in Fallout 76 and killed a frog because I'm so accustomed to every mutated creature trying to kill you in Falls Out. Then I felt sad about it once I realized I was supposed to pick it up and build a habitat for it :(

The opening mission for the PC release of GTA5 introduces the animals of Los Santos. You better believe I walked up to a cat and pressed x, hoping it would be the "pet" button.

I was actually like "You know what, maybe I don't need to replay GTA5" after that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beartaco posted:

The opening mission for the PC release of GTA5 introduces the animals of Los Santos. You better believe I walked up to a cat and pressed x, hoping it would be the "pet" button.

I was actually like "You know what, maybe I don't need to replay GTA5" after that.

Metal Gear Solid V The Fatmom Pain is the superior GTA.

e: At least in GTA you (as far as I remember) play a criminal psycho killer bad dude so it fits the role. But in an actual role-playing game I should like to play a character who isn't mean to animals.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Games shouldn't tell you off for playing games or for engaging in violence in said game?

"Hmmmm, seems you enjoy picking up hammers and killing people unquestionably. Interesting..."

gently caress off, it's not like "go to Nursing School" was a menu option.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Disco Pope posted:

Games shouldn't tell you off for playing games or for engaging in violence in said game?

"Hmmmm, seems you enjoy picking up hammers and killing people unquestionably. Interesting..."

Also anyone typing the words ludonarrative dissonance

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

The coir älähts whom't the calick calahts. (Old Finnish descent of word)

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Disco Pope posted:

Nah, Spec Ops The Line was good.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I had no idea what was gonna happen in Spec Ops the Line when I played it, I just thought I'd do some third person cover shooting and it was awesome and unexpected how it turned out. Nowadays its got too much of a reputation and isn't really going to impress anyone, especially a cynical ageing video game goon.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Beartaco posted:

Nah, Spec Ops The Line was good.

Hotline Miami is also good, but I'm not the one who made throwing a pot of boiling water onto a guy's face a fun thing to do to keep a combo going.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

none of the people you're hurting and killing in video games are real so you guys don't have to feel bad about any of it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

none of the people you're hurting and killing in video games are real so you guys don't have to feel bad about any of it.

This counts times 10 for digital animals

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Well, yes, although I do make myself sad if I feel I've been needlessly cruel.

I think when games pull of either that "touch grass" or "wow, sick aren't you?" thing, it fucks me off because it feels dishonest and makes a lot of assumptions about the player. I don't think either point is necessarily a bad one and I like seeing video games reach for some sort of self-reflection occasionally, but both feel like low-effort trolling.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

This counts times 10 for digital animals

I will never hurt a friendly game cat or dog, but for some reasons goats will get hosed up if I see them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You are, however, emotionally destroying the person on the other end of the competitive match you are playing when you win.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Barudak posted:

You are, however, emotionally destroying the person on the other end of the competitive match you are playing when you win.

This is why my K:D ratios are always hosed. I'm just too sensitive and kind.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Sure, and Grave of the Fireflies is just a movie, and a cartoon no less

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it causes me psychic pain when the game wants me to kill dogs and they make hurt dog noises when i attack them :woof:

it's silly but I think it reflects one way in which I am not broken

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I liked the first Crackdown game. Was it unpopular?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I liked the first Crackdown game. Was it unpopular?

Nah, it was cool. It felt a bit unfinished, but I once threw my friends car into the sea as a joke in it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

all video games should have a messaging system and every time you kill an enemy they should send you a PM that says some variation of "Good fight! See you next game! :D"

People would feel less guilty + you might think about the consequences of violence when you see you have hundreds of PMs

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

all video games should have a messaging system and every time you kill an enemy they should send you a PM that says some variation of "Good fight! See you next game! :D"

People would feel less guilty + you might think about the consequences of violence when you see you have hundreds of PMs

game design pioneer River City Ransom did this

I wanna say other games have done this as well

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Sometimes I think about buying a new video game and then I usually just start a new file of stardew valley. It only cost twenty bucks. I still want to play Metroid dread and the new tactics ogre but sixty bucks is a lot of beer that I could be drinking

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Sometimes I think about buying a new video game and then I usually just start a new file of stardew valley. It only cost twenty bucks. I still want to play Metroid dread and the new tactics ogre but sixty bucks is a lot of beer that I could be drinking

I bought exactly one game for my Playstation 4 home computer system (Fallout 4 GOATSE Edition) but then I did subscribe to PS+ whenever there was something cool on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Last hitting is the most satisfying game mechanic since the double jump