Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The least interesting thing in HZD is the bland open-world they shoved their (very good) gameplay and narrative into.

It's just a collection of Skyrim looking settlements that make no sense and aren't much to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

flavor.flv posted:

The games treat Phoenix Wright like a loser who bluffs his way through a C- life but I just took four high-profile cases in one week and won them all in a legal system that's stacked heavily towards convictions, I should be a national loving celebrity

I'm pretty sure a lot of cases are implied to take place weeks or months apart, though doesn't help that like every other one would be the equivalent of the OJ trial given the celebrities and eccentric shenanigans involved.

For better or worse, the post-Apollo Justice games do have Phoenix treated as a respected veteran lawyer (mostly), with his assistants becoming the butt of the jokes instead. It's just a consistent thing that everyone hates lawyers, and criminal defense attorneys are the lowest of the low, which is apparently literally just reality in Japan. (it's also spot on that prosecutors are basically just cops and can get away with being wildly crooked)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I couldn't tell you a single thing about the story in Horizon, you are a girl called Alloy, theres some giant robot dinosaurs, something about the end of the world

I love audio logs in games but please don't just save up 45 minutes of them for one huge plot dump 3/4s through

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I couldn't tell you a single thing about the story in Horizon, you are a girl called Alloy, theres some giant robot dinosaurs, something about the end of the world

I love audio logs in games but please don't just save up 45 minutes of them for one huge plot dump 3/4s through

Jeff Bezos destroys the world. Twice.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I thought I was gonna like HZD a lot more than I ended up liking it. Waited for that game to come to PC for YEARS because it looked so great. I should try playing it again but I've lost the plot so I may not really know what's going on.

I think it was a combination of things that turned me off. Story / quests weren't really doing it for me is probably the main thing. The cutscene speaking animations are bad, looks a lot like Greedfall or Outer Worlds. Stiff and awkward. And while I understand they can't MOCAP everyone in a game with such huge amounts of dialogue, they don't look good even by low standards.

Best part was just kind of exploring and see what you found, coming upon cool things was really fun. But those cool things seemed pretty few and far apart

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I loved HZD, but I was having a bad time until I realized that doing mainline story quests rewarded you with a bunch of skill points. I was off exploring so much without doing the story that I thought the game was more frustrating than it actually ended up being.

One of the better Detective mode implementations, but why can't they just make the game where it's always on? Between HZD, RDR2, and the Witcher, I practically lived tapping that button. Just show me where your trash loot is so I can compulsively hoover it up and not sell it because maybe I'll need it for crafting later.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I thought was the HZD story was pretty engaging by video game standards.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pocket Billiards posted:

I thought was the HZD story was pretty engaging by video game standards.

I liked the parts of the story that touched on what originally happened to the world, I thought that was cool. The stuff happening in the present time just didn't interest me too much

itry
Aug 23, 2019

MrQueasy posted:

One of the better Detective mode implementations, but why can't they just make the game where it's always on? Between HZD, RDR2, and the Witcher, I practically lived tapping that button. Just show me where your trash loot is so I can compulsively hoover it up and not sell it because maybe I'll need it for crafting later.

I don't know. Sounds pretty annoying to me. Imagine playing Dishonored but only with the yellow overlay.

I guess a toggle could work for this game, but then they'd have to remove the blue sphere around Alloy.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Play posted:

I liked the parts of the story that touched on what originally happened to the world, I thought that was cool. The stuff happening in the present time just didn't interest me too much

I think I read somewhere that the story in HZD came after all the systems were made and somebody suggested they should put a story in their robo-dino hunting simulator. The overarching narrative turned out to be great, which is remarkable, but the moment to moment story was meh, like you said.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why would you want to kill dinosaurs. Dino Crisis is a great game for its time, but I can't get into it because I don't care to kill dinosaurs.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I fired up HZD on the ps5 since sony gave it away for free and it did not look quite as good as I remembered it

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Halloween Jack posted:

Why would you want to kill dinosaurs. Dino Crisis is a great game for its time, but I can't get into it because I don't care to kill dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs are just a kind of ostrich. And no one likes ostriches.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

GameTap was great and I genuinely miss it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was way ahead of it's time for sure. If I remember correctly a lot of the people who ran it are now high up in Xbox and other cloud services

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

itry posted:

I don't know. Sounds pretty annoying to me. Imagine playing Dishonored but only with the yellow overlay.

I guess a toggle could work for this game, but then they'd have to remove the blue sphere around Alloy.

Obviously you'd remove the ugly overlay as part of it and just make it so you can see poo poo you need to see.

It's incredibly dumb the way games are doing it - you're encouraged to have your detective vision on as much as possible because you're rewarded with finding more loot if you do, but the cost you pay in exchange is that you make the game ugly and ruin all the hard work that the artists put into it.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
By the time you can walk into a store a buy a ps5 it will probably be just a couple years until ps6 anyway

https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-now-expecting-ps5-shortages-to-continue-into-next-year

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 13, 2021

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
There aren't really any ps5 games to play on it yet anyway.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
RE8 is worse than RE6

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

GameTap was great and I genuinely miss it.

I played a truckload of very mediocre and now obscure games thanks to it, like Project Snowblind the Deus Ex action-FPS spinoff

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFXIII-2 is my favorite XIII Trilogy game and one of my all time favorite Final Fantasy's.

Dragon Age is a much better franchise than Mass Effect.

I think Revengeance is an incredibly depressing end for Raiden's character and the Metal Gear franchise. I can't stand when a sequel shits all over a happy ending, and Raiden has suffered that twice now. My only hope is they intended to make a Revengeance 2 where Raiden gets a good ending an reunites with Rose and Little John but Konami hosed it all up. Otherwise Revengeance is rather mean-spirited.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Triarii posted:

Obviously you'd remove the ugly overlay as part of it and just make it so you can see poo poo you need to see.

It's incredibly dumb the way games are doing it - you're encouraged to have your detective vision on as much as possible because you're rewarded with finding more loot if you do, but the cost you pay in exchange is that you make the game ugly and ruin all the hard work that the artists put into it.

I don't think that could work in Dishonored anyway. You get to see people through walls and stuff. It needed to be a toggle. Yellow filter aside, you get to hear whispers from the Void while using it - as if The Outsider is telling you where everything is. It's neat.

Now the Batman Arkham games... that's a different matter. That is truly awful implementation and I legit remember running around B:AC half the time with that thing on, only seeing outlines of things.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I did a detective vision only run, because that's how batman would do it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Outer Worlds is so insanely bland and uninteresting that I consider it irredeemable dogshit even if in a technical sense it's a competently made game with no real serious design pitfalls.

lmao I got mad at this post because I didn't read it closely enough. anyway :agreed:

my unpopular opinion is that Rocket League is the best game of all time

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Halloween Jack posted:

Even as a Vanguard, I usually spurn shotguns in favour of an assault rifle. Is that weird?

Good for 1 & 2, but by ME3, Shotguns are better because you should ABC (Always Be Charging)

I broke the Thessia fight against Leng with ABC tactics, he and the gun ship couldn't die and I literally ABC'd for 20 minutes thinking it was a badly designed boss fight.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

The games treat Phoenix Wright like a loser who bluffs his way through a C- life but I just took four high-profile cases in one week and won them all in a legal system that's stacked heavily towards convictions, I should be a national loving celebrity

Phoenix Wright spends a whole week on 1 case defending some bumbling idiot meanwhile Edgeworth finished locking up 20 murderers this afternoon and still has time for martinis in his luxurious office

The game has to make you feel good but in reality Wright has no money because he's unproductive

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Vic posted:

RE8 is worse than RE6

Pretty much.
I'd rather have a kitchen sink try a bunch on zany stuff and make lots of different enemies even if it doesn't all work than 8's dullness.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

The game has to make you feel good but in reality Wright has no money because he's unproductive

wright has no money because he takes all these cases for justice and nobody pays him a fuckin dime. like is defending maya in court the right thing to do? absolutely. but how much money is a 16 year old hippie going to have seriously. i don't even think will powers pays you

i feel like that's a missed opportunity in the phoenix wright games, have a postgame case where it's wright doing some banal poo poo case to pay the bills. "your honor i intend to prove that someone who looked exactly like my client and bears a grudge against him, stole his car for the sole purpose of leaving it in a no parking zone"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I want sleazy Phoenix Wright. Basically a Saul Goodman game

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Harvey Birdman game on Wii was a Phoenix Wright clone developed by Capcom, and it was pretty solid for what it was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

Phoenix Wright spends a whole week on 1 case defending some bumbling idiot meanwhile Edgeworth finished locking up 20 murderers this afternoon and still has time for martinis in his luxurious office

The games do show the system is wildly, comically, realistically biased towards prosecution and there's a sky-high conviction rate, Phoenix does end up considered to have an incredible record. (iirc, there's only one case of a client of his who may canonically be declared guilty)

Fur20 posted:

wright has no money because he takes all these cases for justice and nobody pays him a fuckin dime. like is defending maya in court the right thing to do? absolutely. but how much money is a 16 year old hippie going to have seriously. i don't even think will powers pays you

i feel like that's a missed opportunity in the phoenix wright games, have a postgame case where it's wright doing some banal poo poo case to pay the bills. "your honor i intend to prove that someone who looked exactly like my client and bears a grudge against him, stole his car for the sole purpose of leaving it in a no parking zone"

Pretty sure the Wright agency does get paid, but probably wildly inconsistently, given some of their clients are wealthy and important people though others are the same luckless broke idiots. The games aren't typically particularly interested in the details of characters' personal lives most of the time, mind. (Apollo Justice basically got a whole new backstory or two out of nowhere in the last couple games)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

I want sleazy Phoenix Wright. Basically a Saul Goodman game

Have Odenkirk play the lawyer and I would be 100 percent in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vandar posted:

The Harvey Birdman game on Wii was a Phoenix Wright clone developed by Capcom, and it was pretty solid for what it was.

It was real good. Stuffed full of weird capcom franchise asides too. If you can find a copy its worth playing even if its barely longer than watching about 4 episodes of Harvey Birdman

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I never got into the Phoenix Wright games but Harvey Birdman was legit good. I never even watched the show.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

itry posted:

How many games do you have to not buy on release to be able to buy a home? Asking for a friend.

just buy minecraft and build a home

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

NikkolasKing posted:

I used to think I liked Dragon Age: Origins, but I replayed it and it turns out that game blows. Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition were even worse.

The only Mass Effect game I liked was Mass Effect 2. Hopefully I still like it when I replay it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

The only Mass Effect game I liked was Mass Effect 2. Hopefully I still like it when I replay it.

You 100% will not :)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

QuarkJets posted:

Dunno about Japan but lawyers in the states bill in 6 minute increments. Spend all week on one case is just more billable hours.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

FFXIII-2 is my favorite XIII Trilogy game and one of my all time favorite Final Fantasy's.

I think Revengeance is an incredibly depressing end for Raiden's character and the Metal Gear franchise. I can't stand when a sequel shits all over a happy ending, and Raiden has suffered that twice now. My only hope is they intended to make a Revengeance 2 where Raiden gets a good ending an reunites with Rose and Little John but Konami hosed it all up. Otherwise Revengeance is rather mean-spirited.

I like mean-spirited games. Sometimes.

AndrewP posted:

lmao I got mad at this post because I didn't read it closely enough. anyway :agreed:

Outer Worlds/Wilds strikes again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Outer worlds was def the most disappointing I’ve played since fallout 4