Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

!Klams posted:

I'm gonna say as well that at first I bounced off Doom Eternal super hard, but this thread convinced me to persevere, and I'm very glad it did because actually the game becomes super fuckin' cool and good and now I really miss having something of it's calibre to play.

once you get far enough in doom eternal you can complain about the marauder like all the unskilled babies all over the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Caesar Saladin posted:

once you get far enough in doom eternal you can complain about the marauder like all the unskilled babies all over the internet

It's an honor, Mr ZeroMaster sir

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think it was about that point in the game that I was like "Oh ok this is actually awesome" to be honest.

The 'only' thing I didn't like about it, in retrospect, was that you do all the cool tough key missions to unlock the hyper-awesome gun, but just before you unlock it you get the BFG which is obviously the greatest gun in any game and just shits on everything in the room, and then you unlock the Unmakyr and it's like "Oh hey it's like a shotgun only it eats your BFG ammo, also there are like two missions left, kthxbye"

But like, I'm even going back and looking for music from it to play on YouTube, which really surprised me coz I didn't feel especially attached to it while I was playing.

I think it really really fell short of the mark with it's intro, and first level. I think it falls so short and is such a failure, that it takes a long time before you get what it's 'actually' like. I 'think' it was trying to do that same "gently caress the story, I just wanna shoot stuff" thing that 2016 did, but it does it by throwing half a story at you, and making you play along with it like you have any idea what its going on about. And then, the QTE stuff at first is so absolutely vital to your survival it supersedes any other element of the gameplay. As the game goes on and you put points in health, ammo and armor so you have more of each, the game becomes way more fun. Not because it's easier, but because you're not 'quite' as beholden to the QTE stuff, and it actually becomes a case of you juggling it at your discretion, like a resource you're managing, instead of just a big loving exclamation mark demanding your attention every 5 seconds. I think they should have started you with essentially a point in each, but then made the enemies harder, or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doom Eternal seems to be actually pretty daring for a AAA title with one of the biggest names in gaming, for trying a pretty unique mix of genres; been said it seems like a FPS crossed with a character action game like DMC or Bayonetta, with less combos and dodging and more resource management. Which could be said to be a logical descendant of the kind of game the original Doom is, constantly managing resources and opportunities during fast-paced action.

Might seem weird because it's the kind of game that's usually third-person, not first.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They added a weapon that basically lets you get off multihit-combos in the final DLC

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Honestly it's the kind of thing that FPSes desperately need, experiments at least give you some data on what works and what doesn't, feels like the genre's had a lost decade.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

!Klams posted:

Recently commented that I did a 180 and now think Hades actually deserved it's hype,

I am fully with you, I bounced off it when it first came out on Switch, the gameplay just felt so simplistic, and I didn't love the tiny combat areas. I love rogue-likes but I'm not a huge fan of ones which demand you fail in order to get more powerful. I went back and played about 6 hours off it during a sick day a couple of weeks back and I came to appreciate the design more, it helps that the presentation is stellar though - something Super Giant do well with every game.

As for Doom Eternal, I am very very curious about it, the reception to it seems far more mixed than I would have thought, I have loved every Doom game I have ever played (yes, even 3, yes even Doom 64) so I'm sure I would like it but I've set a price in my mind (£10) which I'll happily snap it up for.

I think my unpopular opinion is that I really think First Person Shooters are my favourite genre, more in the sense that all my favourite games are First Person - Deus Ex, Thief, Doom, System Shock, Bioshock, Team Fortress, Prey, Half-Life, and I wish there was a brilliant First Person Shooter game that I hadn't played, call them an immersive sim if you want whatever but they always resonate with me much more than a third-person action game. (yes I've played Dusk)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Doom Eternal is really fun but its gameplay isn't exactly like the previous one and you have to keep an open mind and let the gameplay develop, it asks for a pretty specific style of play where you rotate between melee, grenades and change guns often that isn't really like other FPS. In many ways it reminds me of Ratchet and Clank.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
That sounds pretty cool honestly, I'd probably play through it on the easiest difficulty so I think I'd just appreciate the frantic FPS action

I was playing Serious Sam 1 the other day just for a fix

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel it's a bit tragic that after so long, people are thrown by a FPS trying something new because it's been so loving long since that's happened.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The rhythm stuff in doom eternal was fine but the platforming was dogshit so I stopped playing.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Quote-Unquote posted:

The rhythm stuff in doom eternal was fine but the platforming was dogshit so I stopped playing.

yeah that's what got me, I had no problem keeping rhythm but fps platforming sucks dick, especially when you combine it with a rhythm game

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I think there's a ton of potential in FPS roguelikes. There's a couple in early access right now like Roboquest and Gunfire Reborn. Once someone nails that formula I know it's gonna eat up all my time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

is pepsi ok posted:

I think there's a ton of potential in FPS roguelikes. There's a couple in early access right now like Roboquest and Gunfire Reborn. Once someone nails that formula I know it's gonna eat up all my time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JJ9MaM2lWM

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I love Void Bastards and it's slick premise and presentation, but unfortunately it'll be up to its successor to 'nail it'.

edit: Everspace (the first, not the EA sequel) also did roguelike-FPS mix, except it was a space sim instead instead of being on foot. I'd recommend it, it's not perfect either but it does a better job than Void Bastards. The sequel will be open-world with a stronger emphasis on levels/grind, blergh.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 17, 2021

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm also pining for a roguelike/forever FPS that feels good to play and has enough levels that it doesn't feel samey to me too, while not feeling like a FPS MMORPG like Destiny 2. I'm hoping that OW2 will fit this bill with the PvE mode, but I lost trust in Blizzard to deliver.

I tried a couple of these FPS roguelites (Mothergunship, Immortal Redneck) and I wasn't impressed with either (though I sank a bunch of time in both). Both of them have an issue with a bunch of guns being too gimmicky or straight up pointless or just a tweaked versions of other guns. Also at some point enemies just become bullet sponges or the level generated is just a bunch of prefab rooms stuck together.

In the same vein, I've also downloaded a program to generate Doom 2 wads and I've found that it's a bit better on the underlying gameplay, but the prefab room feeling is also there (because the elements are prefabbed as well), and the pacing of levels are out of wack.

Fake edit: I also tried Void Bastards but it has similar issues to IR, with the added food/fuel metagame that I didn't really like too much and upgrading being fairly slow IME.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

MrQwerty posted:

yeah that's what got me, I had no problem keeping rhythm but fps platforming sucks dick, especially when you combine it with a rhythm game

And this is I think why the intro is such poo poo, such a failure, because as the game goes on, the platforming actually works a 'little' more, and the rhythm game certainly picks up immensely, but at the very start, it throws lumps of both of them at you at the same time, and it's some of the worst stuff in the game. So right off the bat, you just get the worst taste for it, and then it doesn't actually improve for a while. How far did you get with it? I know it sucks to hear, but it honestly does get really good, but after an annoyingly long time. But it gets good enough that it is justified to put the time in!

When it does improve, it really really sings, it's so good when you get into the flow of a good arena, and you feel like you're fuckin stomping 'because' you're managing all your stuff well. Like the power fantasy of it is honestly pretty inspired, even if it takes a while to get good. When it does though, instead of going like "Oh, I'm in rough shape, I need a medpack, I'd better run away" you're going "Oh, I'm in rough shape, I'd better flamethrower some demons and tear the face off another one, better parkour it up over to that group of smaller ones the other side of the room, before this big bastard eats me!". Which, y'know, it's just so much more FUN, regardless of how 'cool' it is, and yeah, I get the QTE complaint, but honestly the QTE of 'running to a medpack' isn't more fun, and the brief moment of invincibility you get from the animation quickly becomes necessary for you to take stock of what you're doing so you can plan your next move, the pauses actually are a feature not a bug.

Definitely agree that it's hugely refreshing for the genre. Coming in hot off the heels of finishing 2016, it felt like such a step back, but having now finished them both, I'm keen to revisit Eternal, where I know I'll never actually go back to 2016.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think my unpopular opinion is that I really think First Person Shooters are my favourite genre, more in the sense that all my favourite games are First Person - Deus Ex, Thief, Doom, System Shock, Bioshock, Team Fortress, Prey, Half-Life, and I wish there was a brilliant First Person Shooter game that I hadn't played, call them an immersive sim if you want whatever but they always resonate with me much more than a third-person action game. (yes I've played Dusk)

100% agree on all counts, which is half the reason I was so bummed with Cyberpunk. I was so sure it was gonna fill that void. I would now add Doom Eternal to that list, tbh, and probably Titanfall 2 as well.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Have you played EYE Divine Cybermancy?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I also like Justice League Task Force for the SNES. It let me play as Wonder Woman so it was awesome!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

All snes games are awesome, even especially the ones commissioned by the american medical association to teach kids how to manage their asthma and diabetes

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

flavor.flv posted:

All snes games are awesome, even especially the ones commissioned by the american medical association to teach kids how to manage their asthma and diabetes

but not lester the unlikely

actually lester the unlikely is also awesome it's just really lovely to play, like someone tried to take the slow precision puzzle controls of prince of persia and put them in a mario-paced 2d platformer

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 17, 2021

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone's talking about the Big Vampire Lady but no one is talking about Bloodborne Dante.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
kinda tempted just to skip the rest of me1 and jump into me2, lol. ugh

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Luckily my favorite video games are third-person fantasy RPGs and there's a billion of those.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jokes posted:

Luckily my favorite video games are third-person fantasy RPGs and there's a billion of those.

Two Worlds and what else??

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's just Two Worlds but I replay it a billion times

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Turok is so good. You run so fast and the enemies just keep spawning and the drums are crazy and you have so many guns.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaius Marius posted:

I have tried so hard to get into EYE and I bounce off hard every time lol.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

there is not enough brouzouf in the world to get me to play EYE again

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gaius Marius posted:

I have not and I'm not adverse to old games so maybe i should

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Turok is so good. You run so fast and the enemies just keep spawning and the drums are crazy and you have so many guns.

Finally some good loving opinions

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doom 2016 reimagined Doom in a way that was different, but totally worked and gelled with me. The only thing bad about it is that it basically had one trick up it's sleeve and it got a little repetitive at a point. Eternal was pretty ambitious as a sequel and a technical marvel but failed to tap into what I liked about 2016. The state of enjoyment I experienced with 2016 felt constantly slapped out of my hands by how rigid it was about how you had to play it.

And the story and lore stuff was just sort of embarrassing to watch. It feels like they saw that people enjoyed the self aware tone of 2016 and thought going lol roflcopter with it was the next step, while simultaneously weaving this ridiculously crappy lore into it to go full marvelverse and none of it even made any sense, it was like they skipped an entire game where a bunch of stuff happened in between that no one saw.

I wish I liked Eternal more. I was so excited for it but it just left a bad taste in my mouth for the most part. I plan on repaying it soon. Hopefully I can find more appreciation in it a second time.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I loved Doom 2016 and I merely liked Doom Eternal. I do think it becomes a bit formulaic with the system of "oh I just entered an obvious arena, now groups of monsters will spawn in for a while until I wipe them out then I can move on". Without an entertaining story or good environmental storytelling I just sort of got bored of the slaying eventually.

The fact that they went from "Doomguy is sealed in and trapped" at the end of 2016 to "the earth has been invaded and conquered and doomguy has a space fortress now that he uses to teleport from map to map" between games also left a bad taste in my mouth. There's like zero cohesive glue between the games

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 18, 2021

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I have not and I'm not adverse to old games so maybe i should

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI1BFarGm4Y

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Konami's new roguelite side scroller Getsu Fuma Den is pretty freaking badass, I really like it. Good tough combat that is timing based and has a good mix of requiring both good tactics and skilled execution. I think it's only in early access right now but I strongly recommend it to people who like side scrolling platformer action games.

Of course the best thing about it is the art, it's unreal how it looks, really really cool.

Worst thing so far is how your always picking poo poo up but somehow never have enough to get any upgrades. I played for hours, including beating the first boss several times and the second boss once, and didn't manage to amass enough resources for a single upgrade, it's got that Japanese game thing where they expect you to really work for it.

Picked up Lost Ruins too which while decent is nothing special, so far anyways. Kind of a metroidvania survival game with deliberate combat and lots of items and item interactions

!Klams posted:

I was quite surprised at all the goty suggestions for Hades, but I recently attached a ps4 controller to my pc, and suddenly it makes sense, game is actually really good!

Oh yeah. Really requires a controller and feels very tight and reactive with one. All pc gamers should have an Xbox or ps4 controller, I basically don't play games if they can't be played with a controller because it's what I strongly prefer

!Klams posted:

Recently commented that I did a 180 and now think Hades actually deserved it's hype,

I'm gonna say as well that at first I bounced off Doom Eternal super hard, but this thread convinced me to persevere, and I'm very glad it did because actually the game becomes super fuckin' cool and good and now I really miss having something of it's calibre to play.

Unpopular video game opinions success story!

Serephina posted:

I love Void Bastards and it's slick premise and presentation, but unfortunately it'll be up to its successor to 'nail it'.

edit: Everspace (the first, not the EA sequel) also did roguelike-FPS mix, except it was a space sim instead instead of being on foot. I'd recommend it, it's not perfect either but it does a better job than Void Bastards. The sequel will be open-world with a stronger emphasis on levels/grind, blergh.

I'm obsessed with everspace. Best space shooty game ever. I loved the roguelite basis of the first one but I'm okay with them trying something new since overall the content was slim. Demo was really fun except the difficulty curve seemed messed up, it got too easy over time as you picked up better equipment and figured out the best tactics

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Turok 1 still rules and I had fun with the remaster

Turok 2 is dark and the maps get really confusing, doesn't have the same fun jungle aesthetic. I liked the addition of mission objectives and it had some cool features, it just wasn't very much fun in single player. The ending is lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

Konami's new roguelite side scroller Getsu Fuma Den is pretty freaking badass

:psyduck:
wtf Konami makes games? i thought they only made gambling machines

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

:psyduck:
wtf Konami makes games? i thought they only made gambling machines

Their videogame division profits were up 30% yoy last quarter. They make more money from videogames now than they did 5 years ago

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think they also call gambling machines video games, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
They bizarrely released a new Contra game a couple years ago, but it was real bad like the PSX ones. It's hard to figure out their motives