Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
If you didn’t play Doom with the arrow keys and space bar you didn’t play it right. Hahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

if you played a game for 100 hours you obviously liked it, otherwise you are an insane person

Look at guy who never installed dota

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

New record for videogame sold at auction:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

drat, it wasn't even that good a game

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
In line with inflation, that's in keeping with the £64.99 N64 cartridges retailed for in the mid-90s, right?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You'd think that Mario 64 of all games would have a bunch of sealed copies in decent shape floating about.

Anyway, I couldn't sleep last night so I got up and installed the Riddick remaster on Steam just to see if it still holds up. Turns out that version needs to hook up with some DRM-server that is long since dead. Far as i can tell the only way to fix it is with some dodgy crack but thankfully I instead found the GOG version that has that poo poo stripped out. Neither Steam nor GOG sell the game anymore so that makes it abandonware as far as I'm concerned.
Either way, todays questionable video game opinion is that Riddick still holds up even if the melee combat got dumbed down a bit and the lighting wasn't as good as in the original. Both stealth and shooting feels pretty good and the hubs were you do small quests and such still own.
My certainly not unpopular videogame opinion is that a game from effin 2009 being in such a hosed up state is shameful.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

Escape from Butcher Bay was better than any of the new Deus Ex Games.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cracker King posted:

If you didn’t play Doom with the arrow keys and space bar you didn’t play it right. Hahaha.

I played it with a joystick, strafing is for chumps

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Escape from Butcher Bay was about as alright a videogame as you could get - it should have got 6's and 7's out of 10 from every well meaning reviewer.

For some reason though people were hypnotized by that game, dunno if it was the Riddick tie in (never watched the movies) or just the original xbox being starved of games or just a movie license game of any description that wasn't absolute dogshit but its bewilderingly average, even for 2004.

There was a boss section where I literally rotated around a box stabbing a giant mech with a knife till it died.

I mean c'mon the same year Half Life 2, San Andreas, World of Warcraft and Metal Gear 3 came out and people were impressed by Butcher Bay????. it couldn't have been particularly long either given I remember completing it maybe a day or 2 after buying it

Just a terribly average videogame which gets bewildering praise

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

I’ll concede it was janky.

But Escape from Butcher Bay was one of the few games that felt like the world was a working prison.

I really dug that it was different- not just find keycard find door.

Def not greatest but it was completely different from other games at the time.

The ending with the mech suit was meh - but I really liked the role play as a prisoner trying to make deals with factions and escape.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Butcher Bay certainly has problems but it also nails the feel of the setting so perfectly. Part of that is because Vin Diesel was so heavily invested in it happening. Several times he threatened to kill the project because Vivendi wanted to pull stupid poo poo like not having stealth and making it a pure FPS.
Games based on source material that I dig that totally get it get a lot of leeway. Other examples are Terminator Resistance, Mad Max and the Arkham games.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 12, 2021

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A game not being as good as Half-Life 2 doesn't really mean anything. Most shooters back then were not as good. Butcher Bay did it's own thing and it was alright. A solid 7/10

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, I just kicked the poo poo out of Xzibit and how many games let you do that?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Lodin posted:

Also, I just kicked the poo poo out of Xzibit and how many games let you do that?

Def Jam : Fight for NY is an unsong masterpiece

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 12, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Butcher Bay is another Experience over Gameplay title in the vein of Half Life 2. The final mech sequence is in no way a gameplay challenge but it's the most satisfied I've felt playing a video game ever.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 12, 2021

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Zzulu posted:

A game not being as good as Half-Life 2 is a brutal indictment, considering how weak and overhyped HL2 was

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rutibex posted:

no you are wrong. it is fantastic that so many people are cloning it because you get a gem 1% of the time, and thats all you need
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZZuo7Xpmqs

sucks that the one team who cared to revive any part of MMBN, chose to only do the battle part and to make it looks uglier, looking lower res, and harder to follow, for some reason. Does the tiny niche of people who MeganBattleNectwork online competitively even like this game? Seems like it caters more to them than general MMBN fans.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Just a terribly average videogame which gets bewildering praise
On a technical level it did dynamic stencil shadows and heavily utilized normal mapping before Doom 3's release, on XBOX even, and unlike Doom 3 it's gameplay systems actually took advantage of the technology. The UI is ahead of it's time, being entirely diegetic outside of the square pips that represent your health. Every character in the game with a speaking role has a dedicated voice actor, something most games with similar scope still can't manage and the story itself is fairly well written and paced, with a power fantasy near-ending sequence, again, before the release of Half Life 2 and it's super gravity gun bit. The game was multi-genre in a way most shooters at the time were not with working stealth, melee and long ranged combat systems. There was a level of care and effort put into it that makes it clearly stand out, despite a few moments where there wasn't quite enough polish applied than what it deserved.

It's a groundbreaking game, better than Doom 3, Half Life 2 and Far Cry.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 12, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

John Murdoch posted:

On a separate note, there's also the final boss dichotomy that's a bit of a microcosm of this problem: Should final bosses of games be the absolutely most challenging encounter, thoroughly and exhaustively testing all of player's skills and pushing them to their limits? Or should final bosses be comparatively laid back, more of a story-first experiential bow to tie around the rest of the game that leaves the player going out feeling good instead of frustrated (generally leaving the tougher challenge for either 2/3rds through with a rival fight or post-game with a super hard bonus boss)? I don't think there's a singular correct answer there.

the final boss (and by extension the final dungeon) should be statted to a medium-high level. "the average power level that players will be at if they do all the required story segments, some of the optional stuff, and zero grinding." it should be something that is a challenge for players below that curve, but doable with good reflexes or strategy; more cinematic than difficult for players who meet that point; and a walk in the park for someone who grinded to lv99 or whatever.

going all out and being ridiculously hard is what the optional boss is for. but, like how it does most things right, ff9's optional bosses are the template: you don't want a boss that takes twenty hours like that lovely yiazmat fight from ff12. you want something that takes planning, setup, and systems mastery; but in terms of the actual fight itself, it should be won or lost within the space of five minutes.

the developer's chosen solution also should not be "spam death"

e: also, unlock your bonus dungeon BEFORE the final boss. i've never bothered with postgame dungeons that happen after the credits, because to me that's The End. unless the "true ending" is hidden behind it, i will absolutely not be doing a bonus dungeon that happens after that point, no matter how much i liked the game.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 12, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

I played it with a joystick, strafing is for chumps

I played Dark Forces II on a joystick.

Don’t play Dark Forces II on a joystick.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Excelzior posted:

Def Jam : Fight for NY is an unsong masterpiece

And that also let you kick Henry Rollins's rear end, didn't it? That's deffo better than Butcher Bay then.

E: And if John Romero tells you that the best way to play DOOM is with a joystick then how can you argue? Either just do it or he'll make you his bitch.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 12, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I dislike how every card based video games are now apparently slay the spire clones. No they aren't, they're just card games. There were card games before sts and ones after and ones still to come. Just because you liked sts the best does not make the rest clones... especially when the mechanics are often so different outside of being based around cards

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Star Renegade got brought up as a slay the spire clone and I don’t see that at all. It’s basically a game of “what if JRPG but all combat encounters all the time”.

It’s so good, too, that dev knows how to make a really good turn based RPG combat system. Spacebase Halcyon had really good combat but hosed up a lot of other stuff so when they decided to just excise the other stuff the results were :discourse:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SCheeseman posted:

Butcher Bay

It's a groundbreaking game, better than Doom 3, Half Life 2 and Far Cry.

it's alright i'm not trying to poo poo on it but I do appreciate what you are saying, things like the voice actors or the graphical effects didn't really resonate with me when I played it but half life 2 kicks it out of the water purely for its environmental design - I just loved the way that world looked

Far Cry is another fairly unmemorable game I somehow played till the end

I've never really played Doom 3, my buddy bought it on PC and I played maybe an hour at his house but never really did look into it much past that, scary to think it's 17 years old now, really should give it a crack

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Far Cry is really really good.

Until the monkeys show up. Then it's really poo poo.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

Doom 3 was bizarre.

Doom and Doom 2 and many Doom Wads and Doom Clones emphasizes speed overall.

Then Doom 3 was meant to be strictly horror - and slower paced.

I enjoyed it for what it was once I accepted what it wanted to be - a slow dungeon crawl with a slow shotgun.

It proved to be a bad idea and Doom 2016 felt ‘right.’

I recall seeing previews of Doom 3 made it seem like it would Change Everything but it just didn’t and was shat on for having a flashlight battery.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Doom 3 was a pretty good FPS but a very bad Doom.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Farcry Instincts Predator is the best FarCry game because the whole openworld design for that series actually kinda sucks and it needed to be more of a corridor shooter.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also Farcry games are more fun when you have super powers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sally posted:

also Farcry games are more fun when you have super powers.

New Dawn was so much fun because of this.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Play posted:

I dislike how every card based video games are now apparently slay the spire clones. No they aren't, they're just card games. There were card games before sts and ones after and ones still to come. Just because you liked sts the best does not make the rest clones... especially when the mechanics are often so different outside of being based around cards

Slay the Spire is an accessible FTL clone more than it is a "card battler".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not at all. FTL is an Active game, Slay is a passive game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

KonvexKonkav posted:

When I was younger, the appeal of FPSes was that they used to be the games with the most impressive graphics/technology behind them, at least on PC. Now that's been mostly taken over by open world games, so interest in FPses seems to have reduced accordingly. I guess people who like boomer shooters (I don't) are nostalgic for a time where FPSes used to be the most popular genre.

I feel like you have cause and effect reversed here. The AAA companies that spend tons of money on art and graphics usually go with the most conservative, generic kinda option because their investors want a reliable return on investment.
At the time FPSes were super popular and had mass appeal so so they were the 'default' genre for AAA games.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I guess Butcher Bay just had a lasting impression on me. I played it very close to it's original release, so seeing it do much of what everyone expected out of the much hyped tentpole releases from id and Valve before those touched ground definitely took the shine off of them once I played them. In particular Doom 3 which tried to be System Shock-esque horror immersive sim and action-heavy corridor shooter but mostly took the worst elements of both while completely wasting the technology it was built upon. What good is a fancy touch screen monitors if all they end up being used for are loving switches. Butcher Bay pulled off stealth really well, with fancy shadow volumes allowing for the shooting out of lights, but all Doom 3 did with it was make it hard to see anything while you had a weapon drawn.

Gosh, Doom 3 really sucks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doom 3 is fun as a sci fi survival horror kind of game. Also just looked amazing at the time.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

MrQueasy posted:

Slay the Spire is an accessible FTL clone more than it is a "card battler".

Have you played it beyond the map screen?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

amazing

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

sorry I'll turn the gamma up

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Play posted:

I largely agree with this. My hot take is that deckbuilders are inherently the genre that is most compatible with roguelikes. The whole appeal of roguelikes to me is that you are constantly playing the game at 2 levels. You have to deal with the immediate challenges while also making decisions to build yourself up to handle future more difficult challenges. Deckbuilding lines up perfectly with this

StS deserves credit for nailing down a lot of the particulars of the formula, but I also think it gets a lot of undue credit for essentially just putting peanut butter and chocolate together.

It's still one of my all time favorite games, but my opinion on it changed a lot when I played Monster Train and realized that base formula will always work, but there's so much more you can do with it. Saying StS is still the best is kinda like saying Metroid is still the best Metroidvania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I will probably replay Doom another 100 times before i touch a call of duty campaign.

I play call of duty campaigns because I like seeing what happens when companies spent hundreds of million dollars on a two hour long game - they generally look really loving cool for their time. Would I ever replay one? Probably not, but they sure do look pretty.