Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Gamepro was always the lamest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
all review systems should use the same metrics that help illustrate how sour warheads candy is

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
EGM was the poo poo

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Gamepro was always the lamest

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
playing New Vegas this time and siding with Caesar.

Holy poo poo this gets grim. i'm honestly not sure i want to finish this timeline.

the fact that i regret 'taking care' of House reminds me of how loving awesome this game is.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m 1.5

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Taking over the wasteland with detective Rawls is fun

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

My opinion The Stanley Parable sucks is both concise and undetailed[1]

Source: my rear end bitch

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

lol at making a ten point system and making it a five point system

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I played AI Somnium Files and I had to quit and look up the story. It made me think in so far as, on paper, the story and the method of its presentation are pretty good cyberpunk future stuff with nothing too outlandish so why was I just instantly burned out?

Every single scene and sequence except one that I played through requires you to fully exhaust dialog. Don't want to ask the suburban housefrau how old she is? Too loving bad its mandatory to progress. Don't really want a refresher on the techno-babble bullshit that makes the device the main character has used for work for six years and just want to use it so you can progress to the next part of the investigation? Nope, you will listen to this. Don't think you need to antagonize a small child whose parent just died? gently caress off mate and say the line.

Conversely, in investigation scenes basically nothing you can look at has any bearing on getting evidence so its all busy work. Click on a chair and you get "It's a chair". Click on a "A Flier" and it says "A Flyer" (weird inconsistency is in the game). Its just kind of exhausting that clicking on things gives so little character when thats like, the actual game part. Despite this, there is a single receptionist character in the background who you don't talk to who gets a seven text box description of how nice her breasts are.

This could be fine, but the rest of the investigation hinges heavily on characters just immediately spouting out the equivalent of "I HAVE A SECRET" and absolute motherfucking madness where things like a sitting minister is caught in a Yakuza den, two of the known Yakuza guys in the room with him attempt to gun you down, you have literally all of it on court-permissable recording equipment, and then you like, uh, just sit around and calmly talk to them and just get mad when they refuse to answer your questions after you defeat them and then storm off in a huff.

Stuff like this happens a bunch and it makes the game feel unreal. It reached a point where I assumed the twist would be absolutely nothing in the game was real and when it kept looking like no, they really thought this made sense and was a good way to layout a mystery I looked up the plot and quit.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 8, 2021

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

tango alpha delta posted:

Holy poo poo this gets grim. i'm honestly not sure i want to finish this timeline.

the fact that i regret 'taking care' of House reminds me of how loving awesome this game is.

I always tell myself I'll side with Caeser but I can never bring myself to not murder him.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

You killed the only hope for the Wasteland to move into the future, you deserve the despair

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The correct way to finish NV is to give the airplane to the boomers, kill Caesar, disconnect Mr House from the network, and let the NCR president die

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Space Kablooey posted:

The correct way to finish NV is to give the airplane to the boomers, kill Caesar with a knife, beat Mr House to death with a nine iron, and shoot Kimball with a pistol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best way to finish New Vegas is to reach where they intended to let people like me end the game before they scrapped that ending and then uninstall

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
The best way to finish New Vegas is to treat the bullet you get in the opening as a fatal game over and quit. Never been able to get into that game at all and I actually liked FO3.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I never really liked NV although I loved FO3. That roman army poo poo is a big reason. It‘s just too dumb. It would have been fine as a side quest or something but it‘s such a big part of the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wait there's more to New Vegas after you get shot? :psyduck:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Wait there's more to New Vegas after you get shot? :psyduck:

Sadly, yes

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fallout 3 had a better story than New Vegas, just the opening hour setting it al up was much stronger

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Counterpoint: The F3 intro is boring and outstays its welcome. It's a bad hour+ long tutorial.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I know this is the unpopular game opinions thread but you guys have to be trolling

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

itry posted:

Counterpoint: The F3 intro is boring and outstays its welcome. It's a bad hour+ long tutorial.

Which is why you do it once in 2008 and then mod your way past nowdays duh

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I like talking in rpgs a lot and New Vegas had way better talking than Fallout 3.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

I like talking in rpgs a lot and New Vegas had way better talking than Fallout 3.

F3 dialogue is non-existant. It has no characters to speak of. The world makes no sense. Everything in it is too dumb.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Which is why you do it once in 2008 and then mod your way past nowdays duh

So what you're saying is that NV has a much improved modded F3 intro.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

itry posted:

So what you're saying is that NV has a much improved modded F3 intro.

Nah the intro to new vegas just isnt that compelling a mystery

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

flavor.flv posted:

Every time anybody praises a non-gameplay aspect of a game like writing or acting there is a tacit "for a video game" at the end of it, I thought that was obvious to everybody at this point

Yes because as we covered off being a video game writer is the hardest job there is.

I dunno though, score I think is fine to compare to other media. Like Street Fighter 2 has lo fi music because of technical limitations, but I think the themes are pretty much all stone classics, it's not just nostalgia, they're really good tunes. Updated guitar or chiptune covers or whatever are legit good tunes.

Quake is kinda cheating since the dude has won Oscars for his scores.

I don't love it, but appreciate a lot of people enjoy the Final Fantasy scores.

The fan made expansion to binding if isaac, antibirth, I haven't and won't play, but had an amazing score.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

VG music and art direction aren't really couched in the same way as the writing, although a lot of popular video game tracks from the chip-tune era down to Mario Brothers music is heavily sampled or whole sale lifted other songs.

In general though, really, only writing gets the "for a video game" epithet.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nah the intro to new vegas just isnt that compelling a mystery

Agreed completely.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Barudak posted:

VG music and art direction aren't really couched in the same way as the writing, although a lot of popular video game tracks from the chip-tune era down to Mario Brothers music is heavily sampled or whole sale lifted other songs.

In general though, really, only writing gets the "for a video game" epithet.

Agreed completely.

Yeah, I mean, design-wise there's some really really cool poo poo out there in VG land too, I think your right, it really is just the writing. I never finished Grim Fandango because one of the disks broke and then when I got it again on PS4 it was so slow to move around that I couldn't be bothered, but I always felt like maybe that had good writing NJFAVG? (Not just for a videogame)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Some games have good writing, yes. Not just for a video game. Grim Fandango is one of them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think part of the issue regarding Video Game writing is that what is "good writing" for a video game is nearly fully distinct from what it would be in other mediums. Writing in games has to fulfill 2 primary functions beyond what other mediums have to do; it has to both explain how the game works (so a technical explanation) and it has to provide a motivation to continue. That second one is where a lot of games trip up, confusing plot or story as motivating in and of itself when gameplay and how the game world is interacted with and how long a game or game sections are are critical parts of this too.

Actual, like, individual lines of dialog and the "plot" are secondary and it is really easy to get bogged down here because this is what other mediums focus on.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 8, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Barudak posted:

I think part of the issue regarding Video Game writing is that what is "good writing" for a video game is nearly fully distinct from what it would be in other mediums. Writing in games has to fulfill 2 primary functions beyond what other mediums have to do; it has to both explain how the game works (so a technical explanation) and it has to provide a motivation to continue. That second one is where a lot of games trip up, confusing plot or story as motivating in and of itself when gameplay and how the game world is interacted with and how long a game or game sections are are critical parts of this too.

Actual, like, individual lines of dialog and the "plot" are secondary and it is really easy to get bogged down here because this is what other mediums focus on.

I'd argue games get worse when devs can't accept the medium's limitations and try to mimic other mediums.

In books it's possible to know the inner thoughts of any character, if that's how the author chooses to write. In a game you'll get notes or recordings if the devs insist on trying to do the same. Too many of those just suffocate the game and most players will just gloss over them anyway.

In books it's possible to write from multiple point of views, or about events the main characters aren't necessarily aware of. You could do it in game with gameplay, but that's hard/expensive. Easier to just translate that into cutscenes. Too many of those and you get poo poo like MGS4.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Lowtax posted:

that bitch Aeris had it coming

People need to get over the translation change and just use Aerith

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think part of it as well is you need to accept that a player is very likely to just, frankly, not give a poo poo about a lot of things if you've done your job with the motivation well. Like as much as I think Dark Souls is overdiscussed, it does a very good job of dialog very very quickly telling you the actual knowledge you need to either progress the game or what this characters gimmick and function is, and quite literally everything else is optional.

salartarium posted:

She has been Aerith now longer than she was Aeris.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And a lot of the most praised game plots are ones that specifically intertwine story and gameplay, with mechanics that express the narrative feel and choices, or the appearance thereof, that make the player feel personally invested in the story. Even visual novels despite being basically choose-your-own-adventure books at best get praised and enjoyed because of that feeling of investment, especially with games like Ace Attorney that make the player feel clever. (when done right)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Aeris is correct. Aerith is someone on the translation team with a lisp desperately trying to sneak one past us.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

salartarium posted:

As someone who didn't play ff7, Amrita sounds like her parents had a lisp when they named her.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And a lot of the most praised game plots are ones that specifically intertwine story and gameplay, with mechanics that express the narrative feel and choices, or the appearance thereof, that make the player feel personally invested in the story. Even visual novels despite being basically choose-your-own-adventure books at best get praised and enjoyed because of that feeling of investment, especially with games like Ace Attorney that make the player feel clever. (when done right)

Yeah, its one of the things that dragged down AI Somnium Files for me is that it wasn't willing to be less like a book and let me just move on when I was ready or pursue only pursue certain topics. I mean also the writing was terrified I wouldn't realize there were other mysteries than the main one presented, but that first one really stuck in my craw.

Gaius Marius posted:

Aeris is correct. Aerith is someone on the translation team with a lisp desperately trying to sneak one past us.

She's the Earth to Cloud's... Cloud.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Barudak posted:

I think part of it as well is you need to accept that a player is very likely to just, frankly, not give a poo poo about a lot of things if you've done your job with the motivation well. Like as much as I think Dark Souls is overdiscussed, it does a very good job of dialog very very quickly telling you the actual knowledge you need to either progress the game or what this characters gimmick and function is, and quite literally everything else is optional.

She has been Aerith now longer than she was Aeris.

Sometimes the narrative or dialogue can be a motivation. DS doesn't have much of either, but has just enough to offer intrigue as a motivation.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like Portal has a very basic story, but it's presented in a very clever way. It's like a single pov horror/mystery movie, but without any cutscenes. All through gameplay and the environment.

itry fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And terra is actually Tina, but the translators realized that name sucked and changed it. Just like they did with "aerith'.