Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Hard to light it when the game has a piss on object function though :thunk:

Duke is drunk enough at all times that he's pissing pure ethanol at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Hard to light it when the game has a piss on object function though :thunk:

Joining the club with Postal 2 and Okami?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That was even implied in one of the old games, with Duke at a BDSM club where the dominatrix looked a lot like a female Duke and he seemed into it.

Those games were my stepdads and I was only allowed to play with the adult stuff turned off. I thought it was a glitch the first time I handed money to the air, and it scared the hell out of me whenever there was one of those nake-pod girls, they'd be invisible but still make noise and block your way. ONe time I couldnd't get somewhere so started blasting the walls and inadvertently kill one of the invisible pod people and the gore suddenly showed up out of nowhere, was super freaky.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Joining the club with Postal 2 and Okami?

i thought okami drops explosive shits on enemies not pisses on them

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

i thought okami drops explosive shits on enemies not pisses on them

Why not both? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3VMKP2xb38

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Iceborne added a lot of cool monsters, but otherwise ruined MH:W with high MR gating, clutch claw wounding, and Guiding Lands content.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Konami was the best developer of video games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

that is not at all how you spell “capcom except that weird time in the mid aughts where a lot of their stuff was unplayably bad”

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Happy Hedonist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqV3aamwrCc

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Lol Jesus Christ wtf. So, the word ‘was’ is doing a lot of work in my original statement.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Happy Hedonist posted:

I don't think anything comes close to Nintendo, and I say that as someone who lost interest in them a couple years after the Wii came out. They've churned out above average games for 40 years and have several all time greats.

Second would be Capcom I guess. If Cyberpunk ends up as good as it looks I'll probably put CDPR third.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Happy Hedonist posted:

I don't agree, but it's a valid statement. you can't emphasize "was" enough though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nintendo is clearly #1.
Phil Fish is #2.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

is pepsi ok posted:

I don't think anything comes close to Nintendo, and I say that as someone who lost interest in them a couple years after the Wii came out. They've churned out above average games for 40 years and have several all time greats.

Second would be Capcom I guess. If Cyberpunk ends up as good as it looks I'll probably put CDPR third.

we regret to inform you that CDPR has been cancelled

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

even back in the 80s capcom owned so loving hard

i found the yasichi in commando on NES like last week and had to look it up lol, but I was playing commando in 2020 because it is a dope freaking game for NES

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Waltzing Along posted:

Nintendo is clearly #1.
Jon Van Caneghem is #2.

fixed that for ya

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

First thought: huh thosr graphics are pretty bad I don't remember a castlevania game looking like that

Oh it's for a pachinko machine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was about to say Graham Nelson #1 but those aren't video games :arghfist::butt:

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I played Grim Dawn all day today and it didn't make me happy.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

dads_work_files posted:

I played Grim Dawn all day today and it didn't make me happy.

If Diablo 2 is heroin, Grim Dawn is suboxone - it won't get you that high but it'll last a really, really long time.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Diablo and Universal Paperclips belong to the same genre.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waltzing Along posted:

Nintendo is clearly #1.
Phil Fish is #2.

personally i think his work as a disc jockey is far more impressive

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

If Diablo 2 is heroin, Grim Dawn is suboxone - it won't get you that high but it'll last a really, really long time.

whats Path of Exile?

Waltzing Along posted:

Nintendo is clearly #1.
Phil Fish is #2.

#1 is KOEI Tecmo

#2 is Nintendo

#3 is the guy who made stardew valley

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Rutibex posted:

whats Path of Exile?

Shite

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

diablo style loot character optimisation clicking games are for people with bad brains, trapped in a cursed cycle of endless number increases

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not much of a trophy hunter in games at all, but I really hate that most games seemed to have ditched giving out trophies for playing on the hardest difficulty. it was always sort of satisfying seeing some trophy 90% of people didn't get pop, and now the only motivation to play on hard is your own masochism in most games. it was just fun to have a little way to brag about beating some game on the most ridiculous difficulty.

Overall I'd probably be more into trophies if they involved doing something challenging vs just checking boxes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

food court bailiff posted:

that is not at all how you spell “capcom except that weird time in the mid aughts where a lot of their stuff was unplayably bad”

Apparently a lot of that was that Capcom and a lot of other Japanese game designers thought they needed to appeal to Americans and discard what made their games 'Japanese' to get Call of Duty sales numbers, and had to backtrack a while later realising they were chasing a demographic that didn't exist while neglecting the people that actually liked their stuff. Mostly from just watching a video about DmC: Devil May Cry mind, which ironically came out right about when Capcom had started reversing course in earnest.

HD development might actually have been more of a mass extinction event for developers than the 3D leap. Certainly reminded of how it's basically a sink-or-swim phase in Game Dev Tycoon where you can suddenly barely stay afloat.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not much of a trophy hunter in games at all, but I really hate that most games seemed to have ditched giving out trophies for playing on the hardest difficulty. it was always sort of satisfying seeing some trophy 90% of people didn't get pop, and now the only motivation to play on hard is your own masochism in most games. it was just fun to have a little way to brag about beating some game on the most ridiculous difficulty.

Overall I'd probably be more into trophies if they involved doing something challenging vs just checking boxes.

related: games shouldnt ever show you the real ending unless you finish on hard mode (if you finish on normal it should give you hard mode with some of the stuff already unlocked or done if its any kind of sandbox game)

easy mode should always come with a ridiculous penalty like your character wearing a diaper or something. i also like what quake did when they made even selecting hard mode a task in and of itself

a good hard mode isn't just a challenge, it's also a way of demonstrating that a game is well designed. if a game is still fun even if you push its mechanics to the limit of what a player can be reasonably expected to do, then it's probably a good game. if the mechanics fall apart or become incredibly tedious and frustrating on hard mode, it's probably because the mechanics suck. this is especially true for action games

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 3, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

for example: halo becomes more fun on legendary mode, because while halo is a kind of stupid, bro-ey xbox game, the combat itself is actually well designed and highly dependent on player input and skill. bioshock on the other hand has a hard mode where the bullet sponge enemies just become spongier and harder to hit. this hard mode sucks because bioshock sucks and its combat just requires a player to go through the motions and deal with a certain degree of randomness, factors which only become more severe when you turn up the difficulty dial

there should be an established canon of quality videogames that every schoolchild should play

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Almost any game where you shoot humans sucks on high difficulty

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Reckon I'll play some Grim Dawn today

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Difficulty options in games are stupid. Games should have a single balanced path of resistance and I shouldn't really be able to deviate from that. It's partly why something like a Dark Souls is so good, it has a base difficulty and you can't really manipulate that in the game world (although you can get outside information which helps). This is great because it means a) people who are not good at the game won't get the full experience and b) people who are too good won't put 500+ hours into a single dark souls run for the braglols, both these scenarios are desirable.

I've made a list of some specific games and the comments I would like to make re their difficulty

Nier: Automata - People actually play this above Easy which is insane to me, its a perfect example of a game using a higher difficulty to pad out its length without adding to the experience.

Uncharted games - Again, playing on the easiest difficulty makes the games a fun action-hero style romp. Playing on Hard means you have to sit in cover and plink away shots

Persona 5 - Not a great game but absurdly boring in Easy mode, the combat system felt excellent and very well balanced in Normal, playing on easy invalidated all the fun aspects of the combat and combined with the piss poor story made the whole experience dull

Sekiro - This game is very difficult and I might never finish it (got stuck at the Corrupted Monk) and thats OK!

That is all

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Prey gets much less interesting the higher you crank the difficulty, and this goes double for the extra difficulty settings that they added with weapon deterioration and suit damage leaking oxygen. It forces you to play the mediocre game rather than enjoy the setting.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Difficulty options in games are stupid. Games should have a single balanced path of resistance and I shouldn't really be able to deviate from that. It's partly why something like a Dark Souls is so good, it has a base difficulty and you can't really manipulate that in the game world (although you can get outside information which helps). This is great because it means a) people who are not good at the game won't get the full experience and b) people who are too good won't put 500+ hours into a single dark souls run for the braglols, both these scenarios are desirable.

I've made a list of some specific games and the comments I would like to make re their difficulty

Nier: Automata - People actually play this above Easy which is insane to me, its a perfect example of a game using a higher difficulty to pad out its length without adding to the experience.

Uncharted games - Again, playing on the easiest difficulty makes the games a fun action-hero style romp. Playing on Hard means you have to sit in cover and plink away shots

Persona 5 - Not a great game but absurdly boring in Easy mode, the combat system felt excellent and very well balanced in Normal, playing on easy invalidated all the fun aspects of the combat and combined with the piss poor story made the whole experience dull

Sekiro - This game is very difficult and I might never finish it (got stuck at the Corrupted Monk) and thats OK!

That is all

these are all AAA child games for babies. real gamers play rogue-likes

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Rutibex posted:

these are all AAA child games for babies. real gamers play rogue-likes

I did not wish to reveal my thoughts on Spelunky and Binding of Issac for fear they would be too obscure

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

dads_work_files posted:

Prey gets much less interesting the higher you crank the difficulty, and this goes double for the extra difficulty settings that they added with weapon deterioration and suit damage leaking oxygen. It forces you to play the mediocre game rather than enjoy the setting.

I wouldn’t even say that the game is mediocre, things like that just make you pay attention to arbitrary stuff instead of doing what the game excels at. The combat isn’t the reason to play Prey, using the tools you’re given in thoughtful ways in a well-simulated environment is. And sometimes that involves combat, and sometimes it doesn’t. But a difficulty setting doesn’t really do anything to make what the game is good at better.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is game publishers these days are terrified that any segment of their audience won't even see the content they put so much money into making, so they try to drag the player to the credits by any means necessary.

More the problem is devs can't form any consensus on what difficulty settings should be. With most AAA games the hard to hardest starting difficulty is the only one that actually takes off the training wheels, while with say, Platinum games, the Normal difficulty starts ramping up HARD later on.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

That is all

I'm finding as I get older I vastly prefer PC gaming because with a few minutes of installing or setting up I can add ease of use mods, load cheat engine tables, or just run a trainer of some kind if a game gets frustrating and grind-y.

I've noticed pretty quick that for a lot of games the difficulty spikes are usually "player takes more damage, enemies require more damage to die" which is just a way of padding out the game by forcing the player to spend more and more time on the same fights having to get timings down and then if there's a sudden mistake or the camera shifts in a unexpected direction whoops there goes the last hour of your life. Try again buddy.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I did not wish to reveal my thoughts on Spelunky and Binding of Issac for fear they would be too obscure

I'm not blaming you, but I absolutely hate that any game that has random levels and permadeath is now called a rogue-like, it makes about as much sense as it would make calling Death Stranding a souls-like because it has asynchronous multiplayer and you have to play a bit carefully sometimes. The term should be reserved for games that actually play like the original Rogue like Nethack.

Also, Binding of Isaac sucks. It's looks and plays like a Newgrounds flash game. One of the worst games I've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

h:zd is cool but i'm never ever going to finish it because i spend all my time chain-exploding packs of wild Grazers