Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

MOBAs are terrible games made by terrible developers and only played by terrible people.

This isn't an unpopular opinion, everyone thinks this. Especially MOBA players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm confused is this thread supposed to be about unpopular (but genuine) video game opinions we have or just straight up fake/ironic video game opinions because it seems like most posters are doing the latter.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SpaceClown posted:

do you invert your y axis when operating a computer normally?

for normal people, the crosshair is a cursor.

Assuming a first person view: when playing PC games with a mouse I use "normal" style controls. When using a controller (regardless of platform) I use inverted. You could have me play the same game on PC versus console and I'll change the control style between them.

DOES THAT BLOW YOUR MIND???

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Additionally, in my quest for Good Gaming Experiences, I always turn ON subtitles for all games and turn OFF vibrations at the account level.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah sorry cash shops/DLC killed cheat codes and anything that resembles them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Witcher series is loved in spite of it's combat systems, not because of. Like Elder Scrolls games but with good writing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Huh I didn't know that "Metal Gear: Phantom Pain is really good" was an unpopular opinion. But there is mine, apparently!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

food court bailiff posted:

uh i don't think anyone said that it wasn't really good, did they?

it was really good

There are two posts on this very page calling it a "terrible game" and a "huge letdown".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

food court bailiff posted:

huh i missed those and thought you were talking about my post re: japanese game plots, carry on

Oh I actually agree with you on that.

I love Phantom Pain for the game play. It's a kickin rad action/stealth game and from the minute it set me loose in Afghanistan I loved it. The hands off approach is SUPER satisfying in the age of hand holding, all the tools are awesome, it's just good poo poo.

But a lot of the major plot stuff was AAAASSSSSSSSSS. I hated the Skulls every time they popped up, the villain was absurd, the entire opening level was something out of a terrible anime...

The core cast I liked (Boss, Miller, Ocelot), and I liked Mother Base and everything associated with it (especially FOB raiding!). But the anime plot plots and some of the supporting characters were cringe worthy, I agree. I found the game to be best when just roaming for side quests, doing missions that were NOT critical to the plot, or doing a little bit of base management/FOB raiding.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Imagine the time limit from Star Control 2 implemented into a modern video game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Anime Store Adventure posted:

a name with .tv in it

I'm usually a very chill dude in online games but anytime I see a player name that is a twitch url I will take every opportunity available to me to teamkill or otherwise grief them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

phasmid posted:

Like, a game is so boring that you're on the couch with a bong and it's midnight and you're like gently caress I might as well go to sleep, it seems like that's what Dragon Age wants me to do. Boring pos game.

I see the problem here. You played it on console like some kind of IDIOT SCRUB.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My personal sincerely held but unpopular video game opinion: Designing ships in space 4x games is stupid and shouldn't be a thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My favorite Diablo game of all time is Warframe.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Unironically there is more authenticity, character development, and just real human emotion in the quest "The Bloody Baron" alone than there is in most full video games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

a bone to pick posted:

grindfest garbage imo

"grindfest" makes sense as a response to PoE being Path of Exile but I think he meant Pillars of Eternity.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hawowanlawow posted:

get this: gently caress gwent

Yeah I've played it in both the closed and open betas and it's just meh. An ok time filler but it quickly devolves into the same power-play bullshit featuring a short list of winning cards/decks that everyone abuses.

Just like every card game ever. If it had a draft mode that might be cool but it doesn't. I haven't played it in a few weeks and probably won't again unless I'm really bored.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Crabs posted:

Marvel Vs Capcom is a retarded game and all of the idiots that play it professionally should be shamed in a stockade in the middle of Times Square because every match is spamming the same overpowered moves at each other in a game of Pong with a graphical interface

No idea if this opinion is popular or not, but I can say that it is Good and True.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

i thought you were cool Chomp, but I guess your actually a Chump

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The big difference for me between MVC games and other fighting games is that I can watch other fighting games and still enjoy them even if I don't know the game.

Like I can follow a match of SFV or Mortal Kombat or something even if I've never played it. But MVC is just an unintelligible swirl of overdone visual effects and off screen call-ins coupled with a camera that routinely loses sight of one player. It's a poo poo viewing experience.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This forums poster asked people for their WORST video game opinions. You won't believe what happened next!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

a bone to pick posted:

I think he's hilarious, but agree.

In his recent E3 video he started gushing about these dime-a-dozen indie games and I thought it was a joke, but he unironically likes that garbage.

*Makes an indie game where you do nothing but walk slowly from place to place as voice files play*

"Video games are art!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

sebmojo posted:

*reads book where people talk to each other and do things*

books are art too holy shittt

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

facebook jihad posted:

Serious question whatever happened to memory cards?

The main design goal of memory cards was to alleviate the low storage capacity of consoles/cartridges of the time by offloading save data to an external device. Once hardware improved to the point that was plenty of internal storage to go around, memory cards became unnecessary.

Using memory cards to swap saves/unlocks/whatever from person to person or console to console was a happy coincidence that was wholly unrelated to their intended purpose, from the manufacturer's point of view. From the consumer's point of view it could be a key feature and selling point. At a time when the technology and industry culture favored the sharing of data and purchased hardware, manufacturer's where happy to let people enjoy this side benefit.

You will almost certainly never see memory cards come back, for two reasons. The first is they are technologically pointless anywhere there is internet service. Save data could or other user-specific information could easily be transferred from console to console over the internet if that anyone wanted to implement it. The second is that today's manufacturer's do not want to implement it. In the 90's sharing was good. Today it is still good to the consumer, but the manufacturer hates it. They don't want you sharing anything like that with other people. This is a console generation that only begrudgingly allows the transfer of games via physical disk because there was a consumer revolt when they planned to take that away. Every single thing that can be tagged to an individual, is tagged to an individual. People might still have a desire to swap or share save files and such, but the industry does not like that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My sincere but unpopular opinion: you should not be able to field-revive dead squad mates in most video games, and similarly in most games you should just go "alive ----> dead" with no "downed" state in between. A downed/revive system is something that may make sense for a select few types of games but has absolutely no place in your average shooter/action game, imo.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion among players or just designers though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The golem in Origins attacked me on account of my authorizing the creation of a slave golem army so I had to kill her.

My bad.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
EA is already doing their best Tie Fighter remake it's called Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (the fourth Battlefront).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

texting my ex posted:

dark souls 3 is pretty bad

dark souls 2 owned balls

bloodborne still best tho

Meme Emulator posted:

Dark Souls 2 jsut had no soul. Nothing seemed lived in. They made no attempt to make Dranglic a real place people could exist in.

The divide here is that people judge the Souls games on different things. Half the population lives for PvP and other online interaction. The other half treats it as a single player game with occasional coop and periodic but unwelcome PvP. A few crazies are only there for the story.

THE TRUTH:
- The best Souls game for multiplayer is Dark Souls 2
- The best Souls game for singleplayer is Bloodborne

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea dude the game that completely hosed up the match making with the soul memory poo poo is the best for PvP

Yes, unironically.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah it's funny that Witcher catches so much flak for it's combat when nobody disputes that Elder Scrolls, one of the most popular RPG franchises in existence, has had much worse combat in every single iteration of the franchise.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

basic hitler posted:

the easiest difficulty

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jeza posted:

sterilise witcher 3 haters

oh sorry popular opinion

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hip check please posted:

I mean they are both obviously mentally handicapped. They are two 40+ year old men who can only say the're names and "Itsa me."

"Mario Mario" :downs:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CowboyAndy posted:

There's Mario Mario, and Luigi Mario.

Thank you so much for to saying my name.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know what drow ranger is, and I'm not going to look it up

Traxex is my waifu.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Read this if you want to have thoughts about levels.

https://www.raphkoster.com/2005/12/16/do-levels-suck/

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Maya Fey posted:

i dont think open world games being boring trash is an unpopular opinion, or that co op can make pretty much anything decent

Coop with friends making any game enjoyable is such a known effect that if the ONLY good thing anyone says about a game is "it's fun to play with friends" then you can bet your rear end it's a real lovely game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GreatGreen posted:

I have never seen a more accurate description of the Elder Scrolls races in my life.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Star Control 2 has a time limit and everyone on Earth agrees that it's the best game ever made. Therefore you cannot say time limits are inherently bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Emulator posted:

Total Conversions are ftw because only loving psychos are gonna make them and loving psychos are going to make something interesting at the very least, even if its not good

If it wasn't for pyschos going apeshit on games we never would have had Morrowind aka the Best Elder Scroll