Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hard agree. gently caress perfect dodge crap.

but the perfect reload mechanic in Gears of War? that was alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

haldolium posted:

The perfect block in Valheim is as intuitive and good as the active reload in Gears (1)

i looked up some videos of this... i dunno, i don't think i can dig it. Gears of War had this wonderful static bar that I could always see and practice the timing off. i'm shite at paying proper attention to enemy animations, so i'm pretty sure i'd gently caress up Valheim's perfect block whereas i am a master of Gear's active reloads

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Barudak posted:

Best licensed anime game of all time?

am I allowed to count Chronicles of Riddick?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i liked the Mad Max game a whole lot but the Griffa tokens made the game too forgiving. i replayed it without ever spending any Griffa tokens and it was an absolute blast. resource management continued to be relevant throughout and combat remained fairly intense.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also i like binding grenade throw to MOUSE UP on the scroll wheel in FPSes

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
worst part of Mad Max is no new game plus and enemies stop spawning if you fully clear out areas. so best to leave up all totems and dont complete side quests until youve reclaimed the Interceptor

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
twisted metal 1 is rough as hell amd vigilante 8 is easily better than it

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also:

bass quake

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

QuarkJets posted:

The Sonic games were always stupid bullshit but kids who got a Genesis and not a Super Nintendo had to convince themselves that Sonic was cool and good actually and was not a game that basically just looked cool some of the time but wasn't fun to play

Take it from me, a kid who had to convince themselves that Sonic was cool and good

but this is a popular opinion.

says me, a kid who had a SNES

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
car combat in the Mad Max game was better than any car combat in Twisted Metal or Vigilante 8

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cracker King posted:

Oh you’re probably right. I haven’t played Winback since I first played it.

My favorite cover based shooter are Vanquish and Binary Domain - and you’re encouraged to NOT use cover in Vanquish.

Max Payne 3 is also an excellent cover shooter for the same reasons as Vanquish... you are encouraged to not use the cover.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Gears of War 2 is a really good and fun game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Farcry Instincts Predator is the best FarCry game because the whole openworld design for that series actually kinda sucks and it needed to be more of a corridor shooter.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also Farcry games are more fun when you have super powers.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The hoverboat and car sections of Half-Life 2 are some of the strongest of the game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Caesar Saladin posted:

The best Half Life 2 style game is Resistance 3. Really cool game, I don't think anybody played it but it has unique weapons and a great aesthetic.

Resistance 3 sucks in that i really liked the first two and had high hopes for 3 and they were dashed because 3 is the most creatively bankrupt and dull of them. it's Cormac McCarthy's The Road The Movie The Game. And I mean that in the most insultingly derivative way possible. it goes beyond homage and just wholesale lifts gameplay and plot elements from other mediums without ever figuring out how to make them work together.

There's an entire not-Ravenholm area with a not-Father Grigori and it is super dull. it never gets what made Ravenholm a fascinating experience. and they staple it to the Half Life 2 Epsiode 2 antlion boss fight who you kill in a scripted sequence meant to resemble the ending of Jaws.

and they do the whole fight a helicopter on a bridge segment from HL2 but again without the fun. R3 is a slow methodical game. it lacks the kinetic movement of HL2. also this section feels remarkably like the White Forest but without a car so thats a bummer.

there are two levels that are on-rails shooting platforms. one on a boat and one on a train. they are fine once but overstay their welcome on every subsequent playthrough.

then the cannibals from The Road show up and the bad guy pulls a "we're the same you and I" bullshit thing. so you get thrown into the Resistance version of the Thunderdome with a sledgehammer and break free to work your way through a Fallout 3 dungeon.

the best levels of the game are the last ones because it returns you to the weird pulp scifi aesthetic of the first two games while finally letting you go hog wild with the arcadey weapons.

and speaking of weapons, Insomniac really poo poo the bed with R3. nearly ever weapon is a returning one from previous games. only three are new... one is the Cryogun from Ratchet Clank, one is the GES Biorifle from Unreal, and one is a sledgehammer. not even a sledgehammer with a rocket booster or a laser sight or anything... just a sledgehammer. what happened to the creativity?

If any of this sounds fun, do not be deceived. the game is exceptionally workmanlike and dull. it's fine. it's standard console FPS fare. when it's done you'll forget it and move one because R3 is forgettable. i wish it couldve been a beautiful disaster because it sucked to end the trilogy on such a whimper.

oh also they ruined the paper thin characterization of Capelli to make him a PS3 era Sad Dad protagonist because we needed more of those apparently.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Resistance 3 is the epitome of a 6/10 AAA shooter.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Resistance Fall of Man had some of the most satisfying grenades in all FPSdom. the airfuel and backlash are neat and fun to use, the hedgehog is sublime, and even the bog standard frags feel great.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gaius Marius posted:

I was gonna just post about resistance. Even the shield grenade was cool.

:hai:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Turok 1 and 2 Remastered are both such drat good remasters that they feel like new games. they are easily some of the best shooters I've played in the last 10 years.

Morrowind is good too but it'a not a Turok game and thats a huge knock against it imo

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

QuarkJets posted:

I agree that the only good thing about Sonic was that it wasn't longer

lol

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Barudak posted:

If you wouldn't play a Max Payne: A Neo-Noir Dating Simulator I don't want to be your friend.

The night was going well, but it was too soon for her to invite him in. He wanted to buy more sand for the evening's hourglass, but she wasn't selling any.

"Good night, Max. Dinner again next week?"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Triarii posted:

I have never learned to parry in a soulsborne game. I waltzed in and beat the last boss on the first try regardless.

same. though it took forever tanking his hits with a shield. when i learned to parry he went down so fast it was laughable.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dross posted:

I am here to evangelize for the card game from the first Xenosaga game. I don’t know if it was in the sequels, I didn’t play them.

wait. what? i put like 100 hours into the first Xenosaga and i don't remember a card game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i remember Mr Driller :haibrower:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
nonsense. xenosaga wasn't that hard. tedious and bushit at times. if i can get through Xenosaga 1-3 without roo much fuss any fairweather JRPG fan can

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ilmucche posted:

Isn't that xenogears disc 2 where they ran out of money?

Xenogears had a lovely version of speed where you had to run from card to card to play it

yah it definitely was.

Xenogears was the janky ran out of money PS1 game.

Xenosaga Episodes 1-3 were the weird bloated prequels/reboot. (Xenogears was supposed to be Episode 5 or something i dunno). Xenosaga 1 is a slow plodding affair. i used to fall asleep playing it it'a gameplay was so dull. story was oddly compelling... but the back of the box advertised "over 80 hours of gameplay" when you could beat the game with all sidequests done in 40.

Xenosaga 2 was better placed but the story was a weirs shift to some of the side characters making it feel like an extended side story at points. also the combat system was an overdesigned mess that wasn't fun to play for extended periods of time.

Xenosaga 3 was the only genuinely decent one of the three and it was still hella janky. 2 underperformed so they were told they only had one more game instead of 4... Xenosaga was supposed to be 6 games and I guess they were gonna retell Xenogears or something? Anyways as it turns out cramming all the plot into one game instead of stretching it out over another four was the best thing for the games. it was a satisfying ending even if the protagonists always were forever idiots. oh and the combat was actually finally half decent.

Xenoblade was the spiritual reboot and frankly the only "good" Xeno- JRPG imo. just drat. turfed a lot of the earlier games' baggage and retold its own thing using similar themes.

i know there are sequels but i hear they suck. Xenoblade Chronicles is a good high note to end on. i am done with that franchise.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If Demon Souls is Pablo Honey then dark souls 2 is the under appreciated Kid A

Kings Field is Pablo Honey. Demons'ses Souls is The Bends.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Europe got Terranigma too at least

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Suspicious Lump posted:

What is a good turn based games that is not FF or Chrono trigger? I really enjoyed Advance Wars games. I played old school XCom and was raped so hard I never played again. Hows the new one?

I played Into The Breach and it was amazing but rogue-like games are loving terrible.

Actually, there's my unpopular opinion, rogue-like games are horrible. They're usually combined with random generated levels which are a poor substitute for good fashion level design. Every game can be improved with good levels + a story. Rogue-like game remove both, things and lack a cohesive story and progression.

Why the gently caress are they so popular.

do you want games that are kinda like FF or Chrono Trigger? SMT: Nocturne is on Steam now and is imo the best PS2 era turnbased JRPG

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Souls games are just edgy Zelda games.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Doctor J Off posted:

Yeah this. Majoras Mask is also bad. Really cool style but so much of the challenge is irritating bullshit, like the goron race and the thing where you have to carry the bomb but it disappears if the day changes. Just a series of horrible design choices. In retrospect I will say that the N64 is a worse console than the saturn. I haven't ever played any saturn games, but I feel confident enough in saying that based on my experience with the 64

Also Alundra on PSX did classic style Zelda better than Zelda ever did

Saturn had some good games. Daytona, Virtua Cop 2, Panzer Dragoon, uh... Nights Into Dreams, I guess...

Uh... Bug?

Bug 2?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i laughing that my inclusion of Bug and Bug 2 weren't in question. those games suck poo poo.

like, a less fun Bubsy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

flavor.flv posted:

Depends on what the goal of the clown is I guess

pooping

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Cerebral Bore

most of the guns in Turok 2 are really loving satisfying. The Mag 60 pistol and Shredder shotgun, especially the latter with explosive shells, are immensely satisfying. The standard Pulse Rifle has a great feel to it. And both the Grenade Launcher and TripleRocket Launcher are great. The Tek Bow is also great--that moment when you stick someone with a Tek arrow and get to enjoy that countdown screech before it detonates rules. Oh, and the Razor Wind is a murder chakram that turns Turok into the most violent warrior princess ever. s'good poo poo.

but the Cerebral Bore is so drat memorable that no one remembers anything else.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Cerebral Bore is so good that Turok: Evolution tried to one up it with the Swarm Bore which launched five bores that target all limbs... but no on gave a poo poo because more doesn't equal better when it comes to a homing lobotomy missile.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Cerebral Bore

my nickname in high school

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The 5 best shooters of the last 10 years have been, in no particular order:

• Turok Dinosaur Hunter Remastered
  • Turok 2 Seeds of Evil Remastered
  • Quake Remastered
  • Doom 2016
  • Dusk

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cracker King posted:

I liked the weighty controls of Killzone 2 for PS3.

I wished the weighty controls caught on - felt more impactful somehow when you got used to it.

Killzone 2 MP had game modes change mid-match was cool too.

hell yeah, Killzone 2 felt and played great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

lurker2006 posted:

my insufferable opinion on vanquish is that as much as it tries to stand out from the crowd it ultimately has the same weaknesses of other stop and pop cover shooters from the brown n bloom period I.E. spending most of your time stationary playing whackamole.

what

you have rocket shoots and just glide around every like a maniac. kinda like how in Max Payne 3 you CAN take cover but you're better off slo-motion diving into the middle of rooms and blasting your way right through the middle of everything