Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Metroid Prime > Super Metroid. it's pretty close though, and i don't begrudge people for thinking super metroid is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shaquin posted:

lanky kong was cool as heck
lanky kong is the best kong, chunky kong is the second-best kong, and both of them need to be in future DKC games

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

part of me doesn't want Mother 3 to get a release outside of Japan because the Tomato translation is great and there's a close to 100% chance that Nintendo will gently caress with the script, the characters in the game (Magypsies), and the fact that you get high on shrooms

besides, Earthbound is better

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Link's Awakening is the best Zelda game and it's a crime that it's not given much of a thought by fans of the series. it's amazing how much they crammed into a Game Boy game that came out in the middle of the console's lifespan

Crash Team Racing is the pinnacle of the kart racing genre, and the reason why nobody has made a racing adventure game since then is because it's impossible to make a better one

at the same time, nintendo should at least try to top it and make the next F-Zero a racing adventure

sinking belle posted:

Super Mario Land 2 is the worst Mario game by a wide margin. Compared to the first one the sprites/environments are much higher res so the view is all zoomed in and you can barely see anything ahead of you. As a consequence the level design is boring as poo poo and it's basically impossible to screw up ever, except on the boss fights maybe
nah, SML1 was worse because everything is small as poo poo and the fireballs bounce all hosed up. and i hated Space Land's boss as a kid

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

The Mutant League series were the only good sports games, followed closely by NFL Blitz
NHL Hitz, you idiot

Bust Rodd posted:

When people bring up classic SNES/PSX RPGs but don't bring up GOAT Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, then I feel like they must have soft brains.

That game has CLASSIC & FUN combat, tons of fun stuff to do and explore, and adds dimensions to all these quiet, flat characters. So much so, in fact, that all sequels doubled back by making the characters literally silent pieces of paper.
i like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound more, but the fact that SMRPG isn't talked about as one of the best RPGs on the SNES is a crime

echoing the people who say that Mega Man 3 > Mega Man 2. and i'll go one further: MM2 had some horrible design decisions that can't be glazed over, namely those wall robots that have to be killed with Crash Bomber and the final Dr. Wily fight where you have to get a game over if you run out of Bubble Lead ammo. even so, it's my third favorite of the series, after MM3 and MM9

halo wasn't a bad game, but it ruined the FPS genre because everyone ended up copying regen health and the limited number of weapons you could hold at a time

the damage resident evil 4 did to the series outweighs the fact that it's a good game

smash bros. melee isn't that good. even though brawl is worse than it, i'm glad that the design decisions in it pissed off tournament players, because those people are whiny children. smash 4 is easily the best of the series

i want to punch anyone who complains about DKC Returns's controls. whoop-dee-doo, you have to flick your wrists every so often. who gives a poo poo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gex was of the better 3D mascot platformer series and it deserves a new game. unless Dana Gould can't or won't do the voice, in which case forget it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Stale Saltines posted:

LISA is everything Undertale claims to be. It's one of the funniest, darkest, and most emotional games I've ever played and it should be seen as the true EarthBound successor. If there was any justice the popularity of those two games would be reversed.
the one upside to Undertale's popularity is that LISA has gotten more of a look from people who want to play other Earthbound-likes. i haven't played Undertale so i can't pass judgment, but the fact that it has a reviled fanbase makes me hesitant to give it a shot

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's tragic that turok video games are dead. in an FPS world with boring guns that you can only carry two of at a time, we need stuff like the Particle Accelerator and Cerebral Bore again

Universe Master posted:

Nintendo would make so much more money if they stopped making consoles and just took all their great IPs third party for Microsoft, Sony, and PC.
they're not going to, and people who foam at the mouth at anything nintendo does because they're the ones who are doing it (nobody is writing angry screeds about Playstation VR being a "gimmick," i wonder why) aren't suddenly going to stop doing that if they become third party. the problem in their eyes is that they're not sucking in the way that other consoles and big-time game makers are. nintendo is far from problem-free, but at least they're trying to not make gaming the same slog as everyone else

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 21, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nintendo switch is the best console ever because it maximizes the amount of time you can game. no more taking a break from a game while you take a poo poo, just take it with you

Bust Rodd posted:

Low-Key unpopular Opinion:

Halo was/is a cancer on the FPS genre and specifically weapon limits//regenerating health shields just loving stonewalled game design for 5-10 years. The storyline looped back and forth between cool & trash so many times that even diehard fans concede it got stupid and bad, and despite being a game about fighting monsters in outer space, all the weapons are just purple//black versions of earth guns. Like, the needler is just a SMG etc... Afterwards every FPS game has needed vehicles and shields and it got to the point where I just couldnt tell shooters accept the Last of us Multi
it's a shame that this is an unpopular opinion because it's true. only recently have FPS games started to leave behind the horrible Halo model

Disgusting Coward posted:

Slowbeef is a pompous doof and his voice makes me genuinely angry. Like he might be the nicest guy in the world and dispensing bon mots like Pez, but that atonal squall he calls a speaking voice makes me want to wedgie his entire family.
slowbeef was a horrible mod for the LP forum and i'm amazed at how long he stayed in that position. he discouraged blind LPs but also made a Metroid Prime Trilogy LP where he spent more than half the time not knowing what he was doing. and as bad as pewdiepie is, slowbeef's fixation with him reeked of jealousy that someone figured out how to monetize video LPs

the only reason to watch anything he does is if Diabeetus is with him, who is charming, funny, and has a good accent

edit: also he streamed Mother 3 a couple of times while looking over his infant son who was crying the whole way through, so presumably he's a bad father too

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 4, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Super Mario Galaxy is, in fact, the greatest game ever made.
super mario galaxy is very good. super mario galaxy 2 was the greatest game ever made

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

Half-Life 1 sucks, don't give me that "it was the best shooter of its time" bullshit, the first DOOM is better than HL1
i saw someone stream hl1 and the final boss looks like the most tedious boss in any fps ever

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rutibex posted:

video games should not have writing. go read a book
idk when the belief that video games should have big, sweeping plots took hold, but it's a major reason as to why so many big releases suck. i hope that Doom 2016 is the kick in the rear end that the FPS genre desperately needs- the plot takes a backseat to killing demons, while the in-game universe is built through flavor text and log entries a la Metroid Prime. i don't want to play a book or a movie

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't get the hype for stardew valley, it seems like a by-the-numbers ripoff of harvest moon

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

basic hitler posted:

consider this: there is no harvest moon available on PC and not everyone wants to play roms or find hard copies of the old games
makes sense. also you can't make mods like this for harvest moon

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yoshi's story was a worse character assassination of an established nintendo character than metroid other m was. at the very least, annoying baby voice yoshi will always be with us and waifu samus has already been disavowed by nintendo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MrMidnight posted:

Which games make you do this
prince of persia 1 & 2

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

phasmid posted:

People only hate Nintendo because they take a lot of chances and therefore produce some real failures. They have more balls than Microsoft and Sony, who stick to the same tired formula for years on end. There's my unpopular opinion. Suck it.
i guarantee you that if nintendo were promoting VR heavily instead of sony, it would be dismissed as "gimmicky." people bitched about the pay-per-month online content like sony and microsoft haven't done that for the past decade. they really can't do anything right in some people's eyes

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Smash brothers, at least the original one
also in melee. especially in melee, even

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Spidder posted:

Online competitive games are more like work instead of games, and also specifically designed to make players mad at each other so they never realize how poo poo the game they are playing is.
on a similar note, i never got the hate for snaking in Mario Kart DS. it's easy as poo poo to do. online play had no defense mechanism against ragequitters though

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

what's the percentage of stardew valley mods that are the equivalent of a "dongs/drugs/racism" NES ROM hack?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

racing sims are garbage as are sports sims (Madden, FIFA, NHL). bring back NBA Jam and NHL Hitz. no, NBA Playground doesn't count

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

in-game achievements should unlock hidden costumes or cheats like invincibility or unlimited ammo instead of solely being used for bragging rights, and i'm shocked that this hasn't occurred to any developer yet

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

that canyon level in Shadows of the Empire sucked, but not because it required the jetpack. it was because it was long as hell and the boss battle was bullshit

the Duck Dodgers game for the SNES had a good jetpack mechanic as well

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

visual novels are for moral degenerates and anyone who plays them regularly should be forcibly sterilized

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Caufman posted:

You don't have to sterilize people who are just masturbating all day.
it would eliminate the market for VNs so that they don't make them anymore

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

The last good console generation was the DC/PS2/GC generation.
100% agree, i've been saying this for years

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Well duh. After 2006 or so... the prominence of middle-budget offbeat games largely dried up because of development costs.
also, every mid-sized developer around that time was either bought out or left for dead. i think the complete lack of game makers between AAA behemoths and indie games made by one person is why video games have taken a turn for the worse

basic hitler posted:

Youtube personalities are sluts. I am not gendering slut here the men and women are gross weirdos slumming it for views and likes namedropping whatever piggybacking off whatever and dressing as spiderman and elsa just to get some adsense money like a bunch of dirty sluts!!!!
you can't even make that much money off of youtube anymore, the payout system has changed so many times over the past couple of years that everyone's been left in the dust. i've seen a couple of videos with ads in the actual runtime, instead of at the beginning and separate from the video

a few years ago, the creator of a channel got in a biking accident and the money she made from youtube paid for her rehab appointments. if that happened today, she'd be screwed

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rutibex posted:

indy games rule, just play those. modern development tools let one man make games that would have taken an entire team in the past.
even the most widely appreciated indie games are ones like Shovel Knight, Binding of Isaac, or Undertale- games that actively appeal to nostalgia because these programs can't build worlds nearly as big as a AAA game can. then you've got kickstarter games created by people who used to work for big video game companies that end up being flops (Mighty No. 9, Yooka-Laylee), because it takes more than a few million dollars to make them run well. these were the sort of games that would have been made well by mid-sized developers, but those don't exist anymore

also, you're not going to find the next Miyamoto or Kojima from the world of indie game developers. off the top of my head, the only person who's made a big indie game that wants to make a new, completely different one is Austin Jorgensen (the guy who made LISA), and i don't think anything concrete has been put forth by him yet. indie developers presumably have day jobs and other hobbies, they're not in it to make a living

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yeah what mind the walrus said. AAA developers could make these games if they didn't perceive anything outside of their comfort zone as a risk

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

three of Anime Store Adventure's opinions are definitely unpopular (Metroidvania, dragging Earthbound into his Undertale opinion, and saying that any latter-day CoD game has merit) and i'm not informed enough about the rest of them to make a conclusion either way

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fartbox posted:

Minecraft is poo poo

It's not fun and it's not pretty and I never really hear anyone speak well of it in real life but it seems insanely popular
i've never heard anyone talk about minecraft irl, but i've definitely seen kids (mostly boys) wear minecraft shirts. that's the main audience for that game, it's basically a lego toybox video game

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Penny Arcade is occasionally great; but is so insufferable the rest of the time that it isn't worth following to get to the good ones.

(one half of that seems likely to be unpopular, I'm not sure which.)
definitely the first half. i'll admit, i liked the comic about Mario Party, the comic about Sonic the Hedgehog, and the "i haff tvelve metchsteek" Professor Layton comic. but everything else i've seen is forgettable or terrible

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

This happens in a lot of RPGs though, it's a consequence of Numbers Go Up design. Either you force the player to grind rabbits and snakes for a few hours, or you go ahead and give them a real fight and set the seeds for narrative dissonance later on, while also letting slip the fact that XP/Level is just a pacing mechanism that doesn't mean anything in terms of the player's actual power or agency in the game.
why is there hardcore grinding in modern-day RPGs, and furthermore, why is it celebrated as a good game design decision?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

while we're on the subject: Zero Mission was better than Super Metroid

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

The minute someone can monetize something, it becomes a race to the bottom. We need Full Games Communism.

Every multiplayer game should have a "I have a job" league option where if you play more than 3 hours in a night other than a Friday or Saturday it kicks you out to general pop. :colbert:
i agree with the first sentence and can definitely get behind the other two sentences. it never occurred to me that twitch superstars get monetary support from their fanbase to kick the poo poo out of everyone else in a video game, but it makes sense

Video Game Communism would also get rid of the "AAA games and indie games and nothing else" paradigm that we talked about a few pages ago

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

realism in FPS games is the stupidest thing, especially when it's coupled with regen health. i don't want to carry up to two generic weapons at a time, i want access to an entire arsenal all at once, with cool weapons mixed in with the usual pistols and shotguns

i hope that Doom 2016 signals the beginning of the shift but i'm not an optimistic guy

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

So what kind of RPG would the Witcher be classified as? ARPG?
a bad one :hehe:

actually i've never played it so idk whether it's good or bad, just making a joke

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fartbox posted:

Counter-Strike was brilliant for its time and is the reason that realistic shooters became the new norm for the entire genre
you made a compelling argument for why counterstrike is good only to piss it all away with this last sentence

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you'd think there'd be a market for no-gimmick, straightforward video game reviews on youtube but evidently, there are no popular channels that fit the mold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vegetable posted:

They should make more card adventure games. Pokémon TCG on the gameboy was awesome. I also enjoyed this dinky Monster Rancher card game on the PSX. These things can't be hard to make. Why don't they make it.
konami made a couple of yu-gi-oh card adventure games for the GBA and crammed them full of bullshit