Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Diablo 2 remaster will be great and I will enjoy it a lot for a few hours a week, as games made for adults are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

A game that needs mods to be good is not a good game.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Nioh is a good game bolted to a bad game. Its like Ninja gaiden if you added a bunch of leveled weapons and inventory crap to keep you from doing the cool stuff (killing dudes) all the time.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I don't know about the new one but God of war 1-3 felt like someone wanted to make a devil may cry game, but forgot to give any reason to do anything except the same combo followed by button mashing for 10 hours straight.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Why can't computer nerds understand that a computer is not the same as a console, and no matter how many paragraphs they post, one is made for games and the other is not.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Honestly, the point where Ezio realized that his whole life was just about delivering a message to a future schmuck he would never meet was pretty cool.

I agree with this opinion

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Some humans want to do things (example: play games). Others want to watch people have fun instead of having fun themselves (example: watching others play games).

Let's not be judgemental, but we all know that the second group of people are loving weird.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Monster hunter world is great if it's the only thing you're doing. It has built in prep, find, fight, post-game phases built in.

It's great if you tend to marathon games, but it's terrible if you don't because a lot of your playtime is spent doing things other than hunting monsters.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

If a game is too hard, get better or stop complaining. Too many people just can't accept they are not good.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'm equally impressed that people can't accept that not everything needs to be beatable by everyone
Don't like it? Don't buy it.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

!Klams posted:

Why are there rules to magic?

Why did that one guy go "No, it's too hard for devs to make a game where there's a fire magic spell that makes you go fast, you'd have to have some complex rune system"? It's so ingrained in us that 'go fast = wind magic' that even deviating the 'element' it's associated with is brain breaking.

Like it's 'the power to do whatever your imagination creates' and yet even keeping within the realm of 'elements' people are lost.

A guy who has gravity magic can travel via gravity. He can teleport beneath anything that gets lifted up, with the distance increasing with the size of the object. That isn't hard to program, or hard to understand, or really much of a creative stretch 'at all'. But it definitely isn't showing up in a computer game ever, because teleport is either a scroll, lightning or mental magic (which can also make a 'telekinetic shield' or make you go invisible) or at a push related to shadows.

These things aren't real. Magic is literally 'whatever you can think of'. Why does everyone always stick so hard to a coda about it?

Boring people prefer familiarity, and familiarity makes money, and companies want money. Not that hard to figure out why.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Gyroscope based aiming should be more common. It's pretty cool and surprisingly precise on the switch, and most importantly, it's fun.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

RE7 was fun and didn't overstay it's welcome, but it's not nearly as replayable as the old ones. The story is classic Capcom, and it makes great use of surround sound.

The game is balanced around slow movement speed and slow turning speeds, which is where most of the tension comes from.

Basic monster design is uninspired at best, bosses are cool but not always fun to fight.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I loved prey and thought it was excellent but if you're one of those gamer words who feel the need to stick to one of two or three arbitrary skill trees then it will not be fun.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 24, 2021

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Whatever monster decided on clicking the control sticks in should be a common button is a monster.

Is there a patent on "buttons on the back" too or is everyone designing stuff too stupid for that one?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The Xbox controller is superior because it isn't symmetrical. You don't do anywhere near the same movements on the left and right sticks ubless you're a mutant or playing some gimmicky game.

It's good to be able to seperate your aiming or camera and movement controls a bit mentally.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Guns are cool, but more fps games should let me use things other than guns and make it fun (important).

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Thief 3 might be cool now that the loading screens don't take up half your game time. That one was basically ruined by load times interrupting levels.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It's hard to get excited about something that comes out next year and is intended for the mythical next generation consoles, as if anyone can even find the drat things.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I thrououghly enjoyed RDR2 and it's gameplay. That might be because I haven't played every open world.game ever.

The only problem is that it's so big that there's no reason to do everything unless you're insane.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Beaten Kaitos was pretty cool but it was more about the sum of its parts than anything stand out, except maybe the wierd part where the player is a ball of light or something that the characters talk to.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Spec ops the line does the cool thing where your character loses clothes and stuff over the course of the game, except even the callouts and voiceovers change a bit. Kind of cool detail.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

I played Spec Ops when it came out with no idea it was anything but an army man shooter and it was extremely cool and surprising and compelling. If you have a bunch of buildup from forums its probably not as good, but I had no idea what they were going to do. The lack of choices in the game is also good.

"I didn't like that you were forced to press x" says a bunch of people who were never forced to do something they didn't want to do.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

If you play counterstrike without awps you might as well just not play counterstrike and that's the only truth.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor J Off posted:

I want to point out that FF9s card game is better than the one in FF8. People didn't get it because the rules are complex and obtuse, and the game doesn't explain any of it at all

This is exactly why FF8 is a much better game than FF9, except for the lack of funny hats.

Serious lack of funny hats in FF8 and it's enough to detract from the game a bit.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Those hats slipped my mind because the only hat you see for most of the game is that cowboy guy's cowboy hat, which appears to be the only one in the world.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Diablo 3 is a fun game to play, but too many nerds expected it to be a life, not a video game, ad they reviewed it as such.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

If you think diablo 2 is better than diablo 3, you probably played diablo 2 in your formative years and have trouble seperating that fact from the game itself.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

People who have done screenwriting: this is hard to get right, and if you do it wrong, there's no way to fix it

Everyone else: excuse me, have you tried doing sometjing as hard as scanning a box twice while someone yells at you??

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

If you want some dumb fun that's okay then I'd pick far cry 3 over 2. The graphics aren't all brown and poo poo. The first half of the game is dominated by ubisofts best antagonist, then the second half has a wingsuit, and it doesn't have malaria or other dumb poo poo.

It still makes you collect tiger asses for ammo limits but it's easily ignored.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

People who prefer 3rd person shooters are the weirdos who wanted to play with army men or action figures instead of paintball guns and fire.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Im considering buying the game but isn't it like fetch quest, the game, but with passable writing?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

dota is not a game but a self selecting gene pool removal system.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

I do not understand how battlefield is supposed to be fun when 90% of the playtime is spent hoping to be able to interact with an opposing player.

Battlefield is a game where most people exist as literal cannon fodder for planes tanks cara or whatever vehicles exist for the most part

It's really fun when your in one in of those and the other team sucks, that's about it

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

It also did essentially the same thing Spec Ops: The Line did which was try to make the player feel emotionally responsible for the digital, pre-programmed lives of simulated designated enemies in a videogame by... telling you how much they didn't deserve to die after you killed them? But because their inclusion in that game and that sort of storytelling means that the purpose of their entire existence is to be killed to drive an emotional point, you were helping them fill their existence's only purpose by killing them, which is what their creators intended for them, so...? I don't know, both of those beloved games totally failed to resonate with me because they work under the presupposition that the player can't differentiate intelligent life from simulated pixels with rudimentary AI.

Do you just not understand the idea of a written story? I won't defend the game story (it's boring) but saying you don't by into it because the characters are pixels is like saying you don't buy into a book because it's all just words and lines anyway, man.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

If you think using a mouse to move your view is even close to as cool as just moving your neck, you are boring and/or don't understand the appeal of VR to most people.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Stop treating dota and other "games" as a game instead of an addiction, please and thank you everyone.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Watching someone else replay video games for pretty much any reason other than getting better at the video game or solving a puzzle or something proves you to be subhuman.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Games with buyable skins or whatever are all gambling for broke brained idiots and children (who will grow up to be broken brain idiots), and if you even slightly enjoy them, you're being targeted by mind destroying advertisement and probably should stay away from anything at all actually addictive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

Games with buyable skins or whatever are all gambling for broke brained idiots and children (who will grow up to be broken brain idiots), and if you even slightly enjoy them, you're being targeted by mind destroying advertisement and probably should stay away from anything at all actually addictive.

Literally the only thing worse than games with micro transactions is a moba with micro transactions or dlc or whatever, because they aren't even games, just a way for computers to actively make heat