Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
metal gear solid 2 is a loving masterpiece and its the best metal gear solid game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

thomawesome posted:

The Dreamcast is only held in high regard sure to nostalgia and Sega fans clinging on to whatever shreds of dignity that existed at that point for Sega.

im a big dreamcast fan and i also agree it was not really that great and the coming release of the ps2 would have loving shredded it in both hardware performance and software quality

but i love bad, weird, gimmicky games and the dreamcast is chock full of them.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
the first one was alright but it was pretty much a super serious rehash of resident evil 4, one of the most entertaining games ever made

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFpJ91O-yhk

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
mass effect 1 had the potential of being a good game but its clear they were more interested in the things that made it a bad game and axed all of the good things about it from the sequels in favor of making it a 'mary sue saves the universe' game

i just wanted to be captain kirk and swagger around the galaxy doing poo poo but it was all just an illusion to get you back on the main storyline in which single christ figure saves the universe singlehandedly

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
also far cry 3 is one of the worst video games ive ever played

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

food court bailiff posted:

loving :same:

Half-Life 1 is so much better than the sequel in pretty much every way except the ending and the lack of Ravenholm. Even today I'll load up HL1 for a spin every once in a while but for HL2 I think of the early hoverboat section and go sit in a corner staring at a wall pondering what I've been doing with my life.

the hoverboat section is one of my fav parts of the game :shrug:

the car section is a bit... iffy. but i admire what they were doing with it. episode 2 really nailed it better though.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

basic hitler posted:

Dune is a better RTS than Warcraft
Command & Conquer '95 is a better rts than Warcraft 2
Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun is a better RTS than Starcraft
Red Alert 2 is the best RTS ever made
Command & Conquer 3 is better than Starcraft 2.

command and conquer generals is the best real time strategy game ever made

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahjgUkt1Wak

yes that is a tank driving over and crushing a multitude of other, smaller tanks

goty

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually you just gave me fuel for the one I'll defend whole heartedly: Command & Conquer -> Starcraft hard.

StarCraft is popular among people who want to play some kind of psychotic memory game of specific build-orders and think they are super-pro-awesome because they punch keys really fast.

C&C is an actual strategy game, esp. Red Alert 2 and Generals. Generals: Zero Hour is also hands down the best RTS ever made. A little cleverness and out of the box thinking could gently caress build-order l337s.

Hell even for MORE unpopular opinion, I think C&C 4 could have been a great game had the level up poo poo not been rushed and it wasn't a C&C game. Swap the C&C stuff out with, say, TF2 stuff and have Valve release it and people would have thought it's gameplay was fresh and interesting. But it did suck as a sequel so I can agree to that.

ED: C&C3 had major issues and it's expansion broke the game so I will agree with anyone who says that overall sucked.

if u like zero hour do i have the mod for u

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807747

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

FogHelmut posted:

collecting ingredients and forging items is lame as hell

it works if you get a sense of excitement when you find a thing because you can use it to create some new gameplay or if it gives you resources that you use to create new gameplay but most of the time it's used to pad out game time with grinding or with useless incremental stats and it's not fleshed out well enough to make you feel excited when you find a thing

see: far cry 3, 'survival games'

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

mystery fluid posted:

Spec Ops: The Line was a pretty fun shooter. The story was pretty good but not as amazing as the internet thinks it is.

It was really well made with kick-rear end music and art style and map design and tried something other than SHOOT BROWNS TO SAVE AMERICA and didn't gently caress it up

just turn off the game after the hell hallucination

It's not fuckin art but it's really good in my onion

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

There's never been a good zombie-centric game. Not even Zombies Ate My Neighbors, I hated that as a kid. The closest one for me was Dead Island and even that was a painful slog most of the time.

Dude Dead rising

Does Resident evil 4 count

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

FecLives posted:

I Liked Non Stackable Clam Meat

Jesus loving Christ dude

Jesus fuckin Christ

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Sega was never the better console to have, ever

Mega Drive, Genesis, Game Gear, Saturn, Dreamcast, all second fiddle at best and definitely third tier after the original PS was introduced

nah the dreamcast is really good. its also more like a weird proto xbox than anything else. loads of good games and homebrew

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

psyman posted:

If your reaction to being launched through a windscreen in GTA IV was anything other than "this is awesome" then I'm sorry, I'll have to put you on ignore. An unpopular opinion I just cannot brook.

yeah wtf like gta has a lot of problems but the core issue with four wasn't that it was unfun to play but that the entire narrative experience if the story was completely dissonant from your experience playing it

Niko was cool but like why am I playing Niko 'i do no like to keel people' Bellic in a game where smashing cars full speed into ambulances is so fun

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Dishonored (1) is better than any Deus Ex game

Dishonored was good but it felt like they retooled an existing game in development into Dishonored like about a month before launch. like it's a stealth game that rewards you for stealthing with murder tools?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Quake 3 is poo poo because it's literally just quake 1 with a worse art style and slight balance alterations to make it have a higher skill cap which seems nice except it's quake, you are guaranteed to be at the bottom of that range even of you think you're good

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
like it's nearly exactly the same except they made the default weapon easily the dinkiest and most useless weapon in any game and added the uktra MLG one shot railgun that is entirely balanced around your reaction time and hand eye coordination, by which I mean latency

they required you to have full map timer awareness to not get dunked on and it kind of blows

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
borderlands 2 has quite possibly the worst writing of any video game mostly because it's so far up it's own rear end it's at the top of his body but its a pretty good game, game wise

playing it a second time years later the general tone of the story is just ughhh but hey it makes for lots of side quests so it clearly worked out

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
eve online is a fun and fresh team based submarine game with a tangible sense of gain and loss which gives it the best pvp combat of any game bar none

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Anime Store Adventure posted:

"Metroidvania" is the worst and any and all side scrollers are horrible. If NES developers had the technology to make an enjoyable 3D environment, they'd have made that and skipped the horrible (but necessary) era of side scrollers that plagues us to this day. 2D is okay in a lot of situations (Strategy/RTS, Rimworld and other city builders, management games, etc) but side scrollers are to video games as vinyl is to listening to music.

Far Cry has jumped the shark, and while that by itself isn't unpopular, 4 was the best of the series by far but they'll never top it unless 5 trims the fat of crafting and climbing towers.

Undertale (hell, and Earthbound) are not good and require a broken brain to enjoy.

Battlefield 1 is the best multiplayer battlefield so far.

Spec Ops: The Line was awful and I'm even a giant sucker for any media stealing the Heart of Darkness plot arch. I'm convinced anyone who likes it is having their first exposure to Heart of Darkness/Apoc Now because any other major media adaption of that has been way better.

All Bioshocks have always been bad.

DayZ is better for focusing on survival mechanics than just getting a Mosin and killing everyone else because it just becomes a regular free for all shooter with a lot more sociopathy since you know your target is losing actual loot.

And finally, and most unpopular, Battlefield 3 had the best single player campaign of any first person shooter in the past ten years. I exclude the new Wolfenstein from this category only because it doesn't have multiplayer, otherwise that would win. COD: Black Ops (1) is a very close second because it drew heavily from cinema from the Cold War era, but Battlefield 3's campaign was perfect in that it gave you bad rear end set pieces and taught you bits of the multiplayer mechanics while you played. Sure the story sucked but ever FPS campaign story sucks. It succeeded in making me feel like a cool war dude and when it finished I launched into the multiplayer more excited than I would have been had I just viewed it as another large map shooter.

I'm sure I could find more awful opinions in my brain because I have terrible niche tastes in games.

spec ops was a really pretty game with incredible sound design and really well done level design. the story was hilariously bad in how it tried to tie it all together but if you just stop playing the game after the hell hallucination i'd consider it to be worth playing

also i tried to get into the bf3 singleplayer and just gave up when you just had to park your rear end at every objective and just shoot endless waves of enemies coming from clearly defined spawn points. the vehicle levels were really good though

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

VideoTapir posted:

Minecraft is pretty fun under certain conditions:

No abstract, impenetrable game-mode mods that require you to fully understand it to begin participating. Basically anything that changes the way players interact with each other, but doesn't provide any visual cues as to what your status is or what you're supposed to do.

Anti-grief mods in place OR a small world with no restrictions whatsoever. Minecraft Classic was great in that you'd get these dense jungles of constructions overlapping each other.

MCMMO or some other mod that boosts mining productivity makes Survival mode much more fun.

A stable server with an active community of people who build grinders and automatic farms.

This sort of server, however, requires a teleport mod because the spawn area will get mined out in a hurry.

Adult servers are best; but with good mods a server can have kids and not suck.

Jesus you just play it with your friends on a server one of you puts up and as long as there's no rando children it's fine

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

The Jumpoff posted:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

holy poo poo this game is so good it's insane. it's the only good implementation of first person melee combat in any game ever

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf0brwDJAsk

it has weight, and parrying that feels like parrying. plus kicking people off cliffs and daggering people through the chest while they're stunned. its so good

you know the duke nukem kick is pretty universally a well accepted gameplay element and i don't think it's in any games besides duke nukem 3d and dark messiah. i mean it's one of the things that people will guaranteed mod into a game but ???

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 30, 2017

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jeza posted:

Everything Bethesda touch, and to an extent Bioware, have become the worst excesses of lowest common denominator gaming. Objectionless broad mass appeal with no genuine artistic direction or substance. They're games where the experiment is just "how far can I bloat a regular RPG experience" and then just widening and widening until the games are just 100 hour monsters with about 5 hours of main story and 95 hours of unfulfilling, uninteresting fluff.

Skyrim has some nice environments and that's where it ends. The saddest part is that they just graphically updated the loving turd that was Oblivion and made it longer. Even the combat is the same insipid sigh-fest. Compare it to Dark Messiah, basically a contemporary of Oblivion, and you just weep salty loving tears at how if anybody with an ounce of understanding of "fun" were employed at these places how much their megabucks budget could actually make a good game.

The reason people raved about how New Vegas was better than FO3 wasn't because it was functionally a better game, it's just because it's shorter with a coherent narrative and some semblance of character.

a lot of oblivion's flaws are still in skyrim but they made the overall experience much better. like yeah oblivion had a couple of really good sidequests far better than anything in skyrim but you're forgetting that the entirety of oblivion looks loving identical, there's basically nothing outside of major cities, all of the dungeons were completely copy-pasted with nothing inside of them, and you have to spend hours in hell to complete the story which is hands down the worst dungeon crawl experience in video game history.

like they leveled out the peaks but raised the dips and the end result is.. well its pretty mediocre but i'd argue its a better game

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 30, 2017

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Vegetable posted:

3D is a huge scourge on modern video gaming. To get realistic, detailed 3D, you have to spend an insane amount of money like the AAA titles.

Few alternatives exist. Some have embraced a primitive, retro look, such as Minecraft. But that's getting old really fast. There's only so far you can push that envelope, and I don't think it works particularly well for immersive story-telling.

What most games have settled on is a half-assed ugly-butt 3D that doesn't stand up under scrutiny. The problem is most egregious on the DS/3DS, but even PC games suffer. 3D indie games are often so god drat ugly.

At least in 2D, you could get a clean, detailed style. You could get colorful, lively sprites and rich backgrounds. True, you're missing a whole dimension of immersion, but at least it wasn't so god drat ugly.

games can look fine with a retro look, minecraft's visual design is literally programmer art by a neckbeard fedora

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSoRbNs9bDk

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
devil daggers is really really good and while its not for everyone if you like skill based movement and competetive leaderboards its fuckin perfect. its immaculate. i cannot think of a thing i would change

the real issue is that it's not cool for games to have tight design goals anymore. like yeah you can just happen upon good gameplay by slapping a bunch of poo poo together like minecraft or like ubisoft titles but you wont get the same result if you sit down with a clear goal beyond 'im maeking a game'

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

food court bailiff posted:

bioware games are trash on a level that really outshines how trashy other trash video games are

their trademark is "romance options written by people who have never experienced romance, or indeed any other emotion towards another living being"

yeah this

the story is so bad it makes spec ops the line look like the loving illiad

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
my experience with mass effect was me going into the whole experience doe eyed after reading all of the incredible press the game recieved and all of the hype from everyone i knew about how there was so much content in the game. but the second i tried to do side quests and stuff but the small handful were really lame and didn't seem to confer much benefit like equipment or guns and its not like the writing was compelling so i just kind of floated through the game till the end. i was going to type that i didn't play the ending but i googled it and i guess i did, i just didn't remember any of it. no romance options ever came up and i have no clue how it even happens. it felt like it was completely half baked and the absolute bare minimum amount of game necessary to be a 'open world rpg with branching paths'

i see people with N7 tattos and it blows my loving mind

the best part of the game were the lander where you roamed around in a hilarious moon buggy but its a shame each of those zones had like, one or two areas to do things in tops

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jeza posted:

cod: mw was a more seminal game in terms of design than hl2

half life 2 was the first time I saw that a video game had succeeded in imitating reality. that sounds like some insane puffery but really if you think about it, before hl2 the closest a game had come to attempting to use directed level design, physics and npc behavior as the foundation of a realistic setting was Jurassic Park Trespasser and it sucked

but its design concepts are mostly unused in other games. most modern AAA titles have nothing in common with hl2, their goals are almost completely opposite

but modern warfare? yeah. thats what AAA games look up to

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Anime Store Adventure posted:

If you did it for something like Battlefield I can't imagine people would be dropping $50 and expack money to smurf, but I bet it would also split and destroy most game communities in real practice.

I just want to play multiplayer games without having to go against 12 hour a day insane people who are probably also simultaneously screaming about Trump, sexism, or whatever happens to enrage the chatbox in that session.

Give me only matches of disgruntled, tired, half-drunk office workers so we're all on the same level.

this is what matchmaking is supposed to do. I've literally never faced anyone on overwatch that I would consider oppressively good. if I get on a roll and tryhard with genji it will dump me into a higher MMR and I start to face people who are like actually communicating with their team

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

a bone to pick posted:

This entire post is why I can't stand the Battlefield series

play bad company 2 all of the shitlers moved on to newer games so it's just a bunch of people chillin and actually playing the game and you dont have to worry about unlocks or any of that poo poo

like ive had more fun playing that game now than i did when it was new

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

hawowanlawow posted:

I had bc2 and it was really cool

Then, ea made me enter my CD key to add it to origin. It didn't get added to origin, and when I tried to enter it again origin said the CD key was already used

RIP

it's on steam

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Vegetable posted:

I enjoyed this crappy sword/gun fighting game from Korea called GunZ

this game was actually p good until they added pve, I played the poo poo out of it in middle school

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Naerasa posted:

They're the exact same game, the only differences are that everyone in TF2 had a shotgun and everyone in Overwatch is gay.

hahaha

when i first played overwatch i hated it and i called my friends retards for telling me it was a good game but it grew on me significantly and i have like 80 hours in the game, purely because genji.

the movement abilities and skillset of genji in overwatch is the best innovation in the first person shooter made since quake 3. you might just say 'uh dude he's literally the scout, literally just the scout except without a shotgun' but he doesn't just double jump he can climb up walls about thirty feet into the air and vault over obstacles and ledges and both of those things are just passive abilities with no cooldown. paired with his cooldown dash you basically never have to touch the ground. it's the most satisfying and entertaining movement set i've ever played in any game and it gives you such a ridiculous degree of freedom and verticality it's really really fun

i guess the hard counters are kind of lame but its not like there arent other fun characters. im a big fan of THE vulcan cannon robot that people are still dumb enough to try and play chicken against

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

SpaceClown posted:

So overwatch is good because one character ripped off titanfalls gimmick?

thats a mech game on consoles i dont care about that. you make it work with a mouse and keyboard and i start caring

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

hawowanlawow posted:

Overwatch is hot garbage and 10x the clusterfuck of tf2. Ults are terrible to have in an fps.

its a good thing each and every ult is completely avoidable, is clearly broadcast where it is happening and has clear and obvious counters and dying to an ult is entirely your fault

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

hawowanlawow posted:

Translation: reeee git gud

if i wasnt talking about overwatch, the game whose gameplay loop is completely streamlined and babified, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Kojima makes lousy video games which get lost entirely up their own assholes.

if you follow them up that rear end in a top hat i think you'll find some surprisingly good games metal gear solid 1 is a true classic