Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Someone at Blizzard seriously looked at Starcraft 2 and thought "Wings of Liberty...yeah, that sounds badass" and got everyone else to agree lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Starcraft 2: Lazy Cliche

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I liked the gene thing that lets you cloak if you hold still. Everything else about Bioshock was just kinda mediocre. I don't regret playing it but I've never replayed it and I've never played any of the sequels. Burgerface guy is right about the sister murder being pretty dumb since there's a clear optimal choice. And even if it's not clear right away it doesn't take a genius to decide that it's probably best not to suck the soul out of small girls.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

SpaceClown posted:

fetish mods are great how dare you knock them

I downloaded a bunch of mods for Skyrim once. Not one of them was sexual in nature but for some reason nobody in the game had pants. Like not even the little loincloths, they were bare assed. I got that sorted somehow but I don't remember what I did. Crippled my immersion it's cold in Skyrim and there's no way Karliah's story would have had the same impact (moved me to tears the first time) if I could see her butt.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

loving axis weirdos

If I push up on controller, I should look up, not down you degenerates

When you want to look up in real life you tilt your head back. When you want to look down you tilt your head forward. Same deal with a mouse to look in a video game. I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW ANYONE CAN DO IT ANY OTHER WAY I CAN'T. I don't judge you for it, but it is absolutely bizarre to me. It feels so, so wrong. Invert forever.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Assuming a first person view: when playing PC games with a mouse I use "normal" style controls. When using a controller (regardless of platform) I use inverted. You could have me play the same game on PC versus console and I'll change the control style between them.

DOES THAT BLOW YOUR MIND???

:psyduck:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

skyrim is so devoid of actual gameplay i don't understand how people play it and keep their brain occupied. i think it may have the single worst combat of any video game, I cannot think of a game where fighting is less satisfying. The dialogue is all just retards gawking in your face all glitchy like and none of them have anything interesting to say, just dumb boring viking bullshit. Mods are for dorks, just sell me a good video game out of the box.

I've been wondering since Daggerfall when an Elder Scrolls game is going to have smooth fast combat but they never do. I remember playing Kingdom of Amaleur or whatever it was called and thinking that that sort of flow and speed should be required for a game with primarily melee combat. Like that game wasn't spectacular and the company drama surrounding it was horrendous but I could swing a sword in it and not feel like I'm underwater, in a tinman costume, and freshly injected with thorazine, and that was good.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

I've never played Binding of Isaac because it looks ugly and the premise plus its twee design are Trying Too Hard.

I've never played Isaac because I find the whole subject matter way more unpleasant than I want in a game I'm supposed to pour hundreds of hours into.

I've never played Factorio because it seems like you're building poo poo for the sake of building poo poo and I know that's true of a lot of games but for some reason Factorio is especially Sisyphean about it. Endless conveyors and gears and production chains like some kind of small slice of Hell for engineers.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Repairing in the Witcher 3 annoyed me greatly so I modded it out. Turned out the game was still boring even with that problem solved. Garbage combat. Oh but it's a huge world and there's so much to explore no there isn't you drat clown everything on the map is labeled with helpful icons.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Torquemada posted:

This is literally what should have happened with SW:TOR. It's essentially 8 iterations of KotOR with a sub par endgame, removing the social aspect would have improved the whole experience immensely.

I enjoyed SWTOR for what it was but goddamn the expansions suck. They have an entire galaxy who's single most important defining trait is "a very obvious heavy handed split between good and evil" and they spend all the expansion time blurring that line to some stupid "the truth is in the middle" bullshit. Let me play a loving Sith, assholes. It's goddamn Star Wars.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I found the Witcher 3 kinda boring and I never finished it, but calling it a bad game is bullshit.

Also re: RPGs with good combat, Amalur comes to mind. Moving and attacking felt fast and fluid. I would kill for an Elder Scrolls game where I had that sense of agility.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The Infinity Engine was trash and everything using it or an engine based on it has also been trash. That includes the original Baldur's Gate, the motherfucking KING of trash, up to and including Pillars of Eternity, which I tried three separate times to get into and couldn't manage to get much further than the first town. So...loving...boring.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Speed running is stupid because they're usually cheating. Some dude beat Diablo in six minutes but he basically rerolled each level hundreds of times until the stairs down spawned right next to the stairs up on every single level. That's not speed running that's save scumming, you're a liar and the worst kind of nerd. If I was emperor of the world you better loving believe there'd be consequences.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You guys know what needs to make a comeback in video games? Palette swapped enemies.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Can we at least all agree that Bayonetta is a shockingly stupid name? It's up there with Starcraft 2's Wings of Liberty for low effort trash naming.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Probably my favorite FPS level ever is a Blood map, I think in episode 2, that's just a huge sprawling mansion. There are zero human enemies, it's all undead and other monsters. The whole thing just loving oozes surreal atmosphere somehow. I mean all of Blood kind of did that, but this level nailed it like no other.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

fruit on the bottom posted:

It’s me, the guy who actually likes QTE. I’m sorry that game developers have apparently been only listening to me for years.

What makes you like them? Genuinely curious. I don't hate them like a lot of people do but I find them completely unnecessary and not especially fun.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Lazyhound posted:

I just started playing Baldur’s Gate and can’t understand why it’s well-remembered, or was even well-received at the time it was released. Fallout came out the year before it and managed to not be a poorly-designed, player-hostile, joyless pile of poo poo.

I'm one of the apparent minority who think Baldur's Gate and all infinity engine and similar engine games were complete rear end up to and including Pillars of Eternity. poo poo pathfinding and the crappiest combat the world has ever known. Whoever thought real time combat with pausing every 2-3 seconds was good gameplay needs to be vigorously flogged.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

what the hell are all you olds talking about "45 minutes to a round where nothing happens" "dead and playing with your phone"

y'all know that when you're dead you press two buttons and are in another game, right? it's always great when people clearly are bitching about stuff just because it's popular, not because they've actually tried it

*presses two buttons after dying in PUBG*

*crashes trying to reload into the lobby, logs back on, five minute load time to end up on an island where 99 other people are firing guns and spouting racial slurs*

*another three minute wait as the plane agonizingly draws near the area I want to drop, some rear end in a top hat is literally playing Die Horst Wessel Lied the whole time*

*2 minute free fall, it'd be a minute and a half without the constant stuttering*

*hits the ground, has to wait a good three minutes for the lovely textures to load in properly so the world doesn't look like it's made of marshmallow*

*attempts to scavenge with a character who controls only a tiny bit more efficiently than Harry Mason did in the original Silent Hill*

*shot in the face by TrumpMAGA420, who calls me a human being for good measure*

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

LETS GET HIM!!!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Oscar Wild posted:

There is also a low barrier to entry. At it's most basic you run around and shoot poo poo. It's not mechanically complicated to pick up, and there is enough illusion of "hey, I can win this next match." To keep people hooked. It's kinda also the first time that 100 people could be on a map at the same time, isn't it?

That illusion is very very easy to maintain too. My second game of PUBG (this was pretty early on when things were REALLY buggy) ever I ended up bugging out my interface somehow so I couldn't loot anything. Trying to fix it I accidentally took off and dropped my pants. I spent the entire match running around in my underwear, weaponless, and made it to the top 10. I got killed when the circle got small enough that I had nowhere left to go so I just bum rushed the first dude I saw, who probably was surprised to find a naked pugilist up in his face at this stage of the game.

Admittedly, that was a fun match, and the fact that things like that can happen does make the game compelling. But I think PUBG's engine is terrible and it tries to hard to look realistic. I've realized in the last few years that I really prefer stylized art. I haven't played Fortnite and probably won't, but I much prefer it's cartoony look to what PUBG is going for.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Some goons are brimming with mercy. We've had infamous staunch defenders of games like No Man's Sky or Sea of Thieves lol. Just people screaming into the wind that criticism is trolling.

They aren't typical though.

What went wrong with Sea of Thieves? I haven't followed it closely but it seemed like it was going to be a BIG THING and everyone was excited for it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Mohawk Potato posted:

Battle Royal games are boring as hell where nothing happens for a good portion of the game.

Yeah but the PUBG guy salting the earth trying to make sure his game is the only one is kind of funny.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Harrow posted:

Similarly, games like Mass Effect 3 or Pillars of Eternity including a "story time" mode that makes combat mega-easy aren't doing anything wrong, either.

They're not doing anything wrong but I pity anybody who plays a video game for just the story. I can't think of a single one that has a good enough story to carry a game by itself. Video games are not a good storytelling medium and the story in a game should always exist to futher the gameplay, not the other way around.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

A game with characters that you create and develop is an RPG. A game where you play a specific character, even if you can develop them to your tastes, is not an RPG.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The commander himself doesn't develop poo poo, so XCOM is not an RPG.

Fallout: character creation (name, gender, starting attributes) + development choices as exp is gained = RPG
Prey: Morgan Yu, regardless of gender selection, development choices as exp is gained = Not an RPG

You can also argue that RPGs gate character progression by things done and not plot points reached. I learn the Explosive Vomit skill in Fallout because I earned enough experience doing WHATEVER to purchase it. I get the helmet scanner thingie in Prey because I arrived at that point in the plotline.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

But then you'd be arguing about video games lol

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The Witcher 3 is absolutely not an RPG.

It's also a pretty boring game, although well made.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

fruit on the bottom posted:

And yet it was marketed as an RPG, it’s usually listed as an RPG, and by-and-large the gaming community considers it to be an RPG. Now you may just say that they’ve all got it wrong, but that’s a pretty retarded argument.

Nah I'm not gonna say they've got it all wrong I'm gonna say it's a stupid video game who gives a gently caress.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

a bone to pick posted:

Let's be honest, if the Legend of Zelda games are RPGs then p much any game is an RPG.

They're not, they're adventure games.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what's the difference?

I already explained this.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

i'm not very smart. can you explain it better?

No. Kiss my balls.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm sorry, Mumpy Puffinz. I didn't mean to fly off the handle at you like that.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I can tell you for sure ITS NOT AN RPG

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

IncelThreadGasser posted:

SWTOR was much, much better at launch.

SWTOR was completely ruined by the expansions when they decided that instead of staying inside the Old Republic, possibly the richest storytelling environment ever created in any medium, they'd go to some other empire the Sith Emperor created and force everyone into the same path.

gently caress you assholes I want to be a Sith a run around Tattooine. Fuckers. Idiot fuckers.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

They should have called Doom 3 something else

Yep. A good game, not a good Doom. I'm glad they realized it and corrected it with Doom 4 though. Looking forward to HELL ON EARTH 2.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Like wtf were they thinking with those Doom 3 cacodemons.

I think Doom 3's Mancubus was the best so far though I like it a lot better than 2016's.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I remember turning into a banana and ruminating on the concept of self in the original half-life

Not in the game mind you, I was just really high, but not as high as you must have been when you wrote that post. Yes, prey merely perfects a number of key gameplay concepts instead of inventing them, like Prey did not invent skill trees or FPS mechanics, but dude did you even try playing through it as anything other than a DOOM clone?

It's okay for people to not like games that you like.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

is pepsi ok posted:

I truly appreciate Hello Games trying to right their wrong by releasing all those free content patches for No Man's Sky, but the game still sucks.

Their saga is everything that's wrong with the industry. They bullshitted everyone, lied like hell, released absolute garbage that met none of the promises, got called out on it by absolute everyone, and they're still sitting on top of the best seller list every time they release a patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I like Minecraft. I haven't touched it in a couple of years though. I hear there are dolphins now.

I play Minecraft solo and completely unmodded.