Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

My apparently unpopular video game opinion is that BotW was very good (in spite of the combat being kinda poo poo) and I didn't miss the large dungeons at all. In fact, dungeons are often some of the dullest video game environments, so the new Zelda reducing the time you have to spend in them is a pretty big plus, IMO.

food court bailiff posted:

the opening half hour of BotW where you're on the plateau collecting the four powers so you can paraglide off of a giant cliff is really, really cool and i'm continually astounded that people think it's boring

I completely agree. Like, how can someone seriously prefer going through some lame-rear end tutorial dungeon over this?

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Master mode sounds kind of pointless, since you can carry infinite healing items that you can consume instantly at any time in both modes. That means you have essentially infinte health and can only die if you get one-shotted. BotW is not a hard game, which is not a bad thing IMO.

In general, I think that in spite of what they're saying most gamers don't actually want their games to be difficult. They want the illusion of difficulty, which is why Dark Souls is so popular. It's an easy game masquerading as a difficult one. Sekiro seemed to be a lot less popular, and I think it's partly because you have fewer opportunities to make things easier for yourself.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Lobster Harmonica posted:

I'm not sure why, but they effectively paywalled an additional difficulty mode (in addition to Master Mode) behind one of the amiibos that's now somewhat niche and hard to find

If you own a Ganondorf amiibo from Smash Bros for Wii U, you can scan it in BotW to unlock a special difficulty setting that makes all enemy damage twice as strong, and also permanently turns the color of your hearts from red to blue. It's my poo poo. I've no joke sunk about 200 hours altogether into BotW in master mode with the Ganondorf amiibo poo poo activated

Lmao, that sounds like some "uncle works at Nintendo" nonsene, which is why it's probably true. Does turning your hearts blue even do anything?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Lobster Harmonica posted:

I thought FFXV was surprisingly good and never really figured out what was supposed to be so terrible about it

Did you play it on launch or later? I heard that the launch version was pretty rough, but I played it in 2018 and it became my favourite Final Fantasy in spite of some parts being underdeveloped.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Caesar Saladin posted:

i love it when people say "these people don't 'get' doom" like its some meaningful piece of literature or some poo poo, when its just a fun circlestrafing shooter with maze levels and the new ones are just more video games that have the same name and are fun in another way.

there's nothing to get or anything deep and meaningful to understand about the old games and you're not some video game philosopher who understands coloured keycards and secret wall passages at a higher level of meaning.

like they are holding it to some amazing standard of maze-keycard-shooters that is too sophisticated for these shallow new video games to understand

It's because they played the original when they were 12. I played the original DOOM when I was in college and thought it was boring. Seems like the new one has more varied environments than "dungeon" and "military base" and more mechanics than keycards and circle-strafing. I don't even like shooters that much but I might actually try it out!

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

SoR Blaze posted:

What's a good, modern jrpg that isn't too anime and has a great battle system? I love me some SMT but all I ever hear people recommending these days are Trails in the Sky games, and I found the one I played to be really boring.

I had a lot of fun with Octopath Traveler even though the story is a bit disappointing. Great battle system and music though.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

i had a lot of fun with octopath for about 12 hours. everything after that is "romhack hard" where the difficulty has nothing to do with your strategy because bosses start breaking the established gameplay rules, they easily one-shot you due to rng even with the best equipment, and their HP is inflated by 1000% over what it ought to be

the Job Class Guardians are a perfect example of this. they don't need 450,000hp, 45k would've done just fine. you learn their gimmick and stabilize by that point. the rest of the fight is just punching a broken record with ten times too many HP for thirty minutes.

it's an eighty hour game. i would play the first eight again. by this standard, it scores a 1/10 with me

To be honest, while I did do the job bosses, I peaced out on the optional superboss which was too much bullshit even for me. That one wolf boss in a post-game sidequest was also really difficult in an unfun way. The main campaign was very enjoyable though and not too hard IF you tried to come up with some broken stuff. I don't remember dying that often and I even thought that some of the final bosses could have used some more HP considering how OP I was at that point. The job class bosses were harder but still doable. If they had 45k HP like you suggested you could probably kill them on turn 1 with the right setup.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Bronze Fonz posted:

I can't imagine playing Skyrim

FTFY

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I did not wish to reveal my thoughts on Spelunky and Binding of Issac for fear they would be too obscure

I'm not blaming you, but I absolutely hate that any game that has random levels and permadeath is now called a rogue-like, it makes about as much sense as it would make calling Death Stranding a souls-like because it has asynchronous multiplayer and you have to play a bit carefully sometimes. The term should be reserved for games that actually play like the original Rogue like Nethack.

Also, Binding of Isaac sucks. It's looks and plays like a Newgrounds flash game. One of the worst games I've ever played.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I can't really appreciate Rougelite as a genre because the first one I played was Spelunky and it's 10 times better than any of the other ones I've played, they all just feel way bad by comparison.

The only "roguelite" that I've really enjoyed is Slay the Spire so I can understand that sentiment. I hated Binding of Isaac. Rogue Legacy as well as Enter the Gungeon were also pretty unfun for me. Haven't played Spelunky though but will try it out if it's released on Switch.

In general, I like indie games more when they're strategy or puzzle games as these genres seem to work better with the lower budget/manpower that comes with the "indie" tag. Haven't played a bad indie game in those genres yet but far too many terrible or mediocre indie action titles that got good reviews. A major exception is Furi though which ruled.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

same on both counts, slay the spire was fantastic, I can't remember the last game I got sucked into for multiple hours like that. most of em just don't hold my attention like that anymore.

I also hated Binding of Isaac, but mostly for the aesthetics? that's what I hated the most, anyway. I feel like I gave it enough time to decide I really, really didn't care for it. it was one of those "the children must be wrong" moments for me because it was so popular for awhile (still is?) props to the dev for creating something which I found (and still find) completely repulsive, I guess- that is saying something. I don't consider much offensive or gross.

I agree. I don't like the mechanics, but it's the aesthetics of Binding of Isaac that I despise the most. Just the vilest, most repulsive teenage edgelord poo poo imaginable.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

A couple of years ago, one of the guys in my friend group bought whatever the most expensive Nvidia graphics card was at the time (I think he paid about 800€) and bragged constantly about how great it was to play Mass Effect Andromeda at the highest settings with it. Fven if you disregard his shockingly poor taste in RPGs, most of our friends (except me and him) were still students back then and/or worked lovely low-paying jobs. They couldn't really afford blowing that much money on what was essentially an overpriced toy, so I thought him not shutting up about it was pretty rude. When someone else pointed out that this particular card was designed with 4K gaming in mind and that a much cheaper card would have been enough to play Mass Erect Andromeda on his 1080p monitor at full settings, he got really pissy and it was one of the things that led to him excluding himself from the group eventually.

What I'm trying to say with this boring story is: If you like PC gaming, that's cool, but clueless PC gamers that won't shut up about their toys are the absolute worst. Personally, I'm sticking with consoles because I like the PS4 exclusives and I like Nintendo games, but having 4K graphics or 60fps isn't that important to me and I don't want to get a 3rd gaming device that has the same games as the others, just a bit prettier. The only thing thst annoys me are the loading times, but that will probably get fixed with the next generation.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Apparently I have deeply offended them by assuming the listed price of something is accurate.

The one month price is literally just there to make the yearly price seem like a better deal. They don't expect that anybody would be dumb enough to take it. It's Marketing 101 for infants but it's not surprising that a member of the PC gaming master race wouldn't know that. To give you an example you may be more familiar with, fast food restaurants often have ridiculously overpriced "small" portions just so that the larger portions seem cheaper in comparison and you start thinking that it's reasonable to buy a heart-attack triggering amount of fries you can't or shouldn't possibly eat.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I haven't played an RTS since Starcraft 2, but isn't that basically the Settlers and Anno games and so on?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I played a bit of Fallout 2 a while after it came out and absolutely hated it. The game was ugly af, the story seemed dull and the combat was extremely slow and boring.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Manager Hoyden posted:

There have been like nearly no real stories told through the video game medium. They're all just games that stop every now and then to overlay writing or video to tell the story (and even then usually badly).

You have to ignore most of the medium if you want to call what a videogame offers a narrative. Taken as a whole, most of the narrative would be "and then the hero jumped over a fence to collide with a health box which made the floating number go up."

Even the ones with supposedly great stories are ridiculous. "The nameless one, struggling with the nature of life and existence, whacked the rat eighteen times using the exact same motion. Favorable numbers rose through the air. Unfortunately, he could not carry any more so he had to drop it. He said as much to no one in particular."

Including those parts into the "narrative" - whatever that's supposed to mean - seems to be extremely dumb. I think it's obvious to everyone that most video games consist mostly of repetitive stuff that sounds boring on paper, but that same repetition is kind of necessary to have a video game with mechanics that go beyond simple CYOA stuff as in Life is Strange for example. Still, that doesn't mean that video games can't contain interesting stories, but it's unreasonable to expect any video game taken as a whole to be on the level of a glorious sophisticated narrative work of art such as Haruhi Suzumiya.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

nice gradient on the logo, which is flanked by reptiles, background merges a classic konami "grey stripes" look with colorful stuff like a new orleans street scene. bad guy menaces in the back, billy himself strikes a cool pose, one of his eyes is slightly off which makes him look kinda crazy and fun, his hand is bigger than his head and it's holding a big knife, alligator at the bottom

I feel sorry for this guy, seems like he has no neck.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

you know how they'll handle it, they'll overmodernize everything and give you a minimap and destination overlays and players will still complain that the levels are too hard to navigate. it's the perfect storm of a game that's incompatible with the ultra streamlined level design you see today. what do you mean you can solve this in like five or six different ways depending on how you enter the room? my navigation brain that's been reduced to the size of a peanut thanks to minimaps and gps can't even remember where the entrance is!!

I think, you're a bit too pessimistic considering that Dishonored got made and even sold enough to get a sequel (which sold like poo poo tbf). These games at least do not have a minimap (though they do have some fairly pointless destination markers that you can switch off without a problem).

My dream would be Arkane studios doing a Thief 2 remaster in the Dishonored 2 engine, but since they've apparently stopped making games that won't happen I guess.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

i will try dishonored at some point but i think what attracted me less towards it is that it seems like a faster, action oriented parkour sort of game

in thief 2 you are just a normal, slow walking person and there's always a few tense seconds between the moment you decide to blackjack a guard, and actually catching up to him and smacking him over the head. you don't do a cinematic takedown where you instantly close the distance, you have to walk up to him at slightly faster than the guard's walking speed and physically land the blow, this makes it feel far more risky and a matter of judging distance, speed, sound and lighting which is completely lost if you streamline it

it's like the guard is walking away from you, but he will soon reach a light source from which another guard will be able to see you, so you have to quickly go up to him before he gets there, but gently caress, there's a tile floor in the way which will make sound, better shoot a moss arrow really quick so i can walk across and hopefully take him out. that's a lot of little decisions that you have to make quickly and which are all great fun

I played both Dishonoreds slowly and I think that's sort of encouraged by your main traversal power, Blink, needing 5 seconds to recharge if you don't want to spend mana. If you do a stealth playthrough, you will automatically spend a lot of time looking around while you wait for Blink to recharge. Compared to Thief there are not a lot of options though if you want to do a non-lethal playthough (this is somewhat improved in the second game) and the stealth system is kind of simplistic compared to the combat system, so a faster and more murder-oriented playstyle is always tempting.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah, newer Hitman is very forgiving with regards to being discovered (unless you're going for Silent Assassin). Even if you do something illegal you won't necessarily get shot at immediately.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

What I loved about Death Stranding was all the idiot youtubers (like that Writing On games guy) complaining that the game is frustrating because you lose your gear and have to console your BB all the time accompanied by footage of them doing stupid poo poo like driving their bike of a cliff. Like they never understood that they're playing the game wrong and losing your stuff and BB crying and so on are all ways the game tells you that you're loving up. This was something I thought was really clever about the game: That it punished you for failing in other ways than just killing you and making you reload, but it seems that this point went over some people's heads.

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 25, 2020

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

food court bailiff posted:

i don't watch streamers but i'm pretty sure most of them are explicitly trying to be entertaining to their swiss-cheese-brained audience, not necessarily be good at the game

there are exceptions of course but i don't think the dude banned from twitch forever for streaming from a public bathroom was trying to be the best of the best y'know

In general I agree, but in this case I was thinking about some youtube video essay guy though. I think that if you call yourself "Writing On Games" and quote existentialist philosophy in your videos, you should at least try to not totally suck at the game you're discussing.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

My unpopular opinion is that the Witcher 3 combat system is pretty good... for a mainly story- and exploration based RPG. The best thing about it is that encounters rarely take too long - which is the most important thing for RPG combat anyway. People who say the combat is terrible should maybe play a RPG by Bethesda to see what bad combat looks like. Not every game has to be Dark Souls (whose combat system isn't that great either btw).

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

The Bird posted:

I agree with you.
For the time, it was a really good combat system AND since you can mod it with numerous revamps, it's kind of a moot point?

Just as an example of RPG combat systems before and in 2015, you had Fallout 4(poo poo), Pillars(so-loving-old), and DA:O(middling). Bloodborne also came out in 2015 and the combat from that game would fit really well for the Witcher, but calling it complete poo poo doesn't really track with me unless you mention that almost every other RPG before and since has had poo poo combat outside of FromSoftware games.

I could get on board with the statement that "Most, if not all, action RPG combat systems have been poo poo since the beginning of the genre. No one has really figured out how to integrate swords and magic into a coherent combat system that makes Physical Melee/Ranged attacks unique from Magic/Spellcasting. Magic never really feels like 'magic'. It's just shooting a bow but your ammo is mana and your arrows have AoE or status effects."

I thought that V from DMC5 was a really fun take on a "wizard" character in an action game. It's a shame he was a bit less fleshed out than the others, otherwise I'd have loved to play a whole game with him as the protagonist.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I've only played Divinity Original Sin 2 and didn't like the combat at all. My main problem was that every encounter took forever which was exacerbated by the turn order being such that you and the enemy always alternate turns (i.e. you can't have two of your characters move after another). I guess this was done so you can't burst down the enemy before they take a turn and thereby make the game less "tactical". I totally hate this. A RPG combat system doesn't have to be deep or involved, the most important thing is that it doesn't take forever to play an encounter. Did they improve on this in Baldurs Gate 3?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

The perfect game is Gothic 2 because I was 12 when I bought it.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I didn't care much for MGS before, but Death Stranding's great and really shows Kojima's strengths and weaknesses. The part of Death Stranding that people like to complain about the most - the slowly walking to your destination part - was what I enjoyed the most. I can't exactly explain why though, but I think it's because there's always something to think about in terms of how you plan your route, you have to always pay attention so you don't fall down and the scenery's very pretty. I think you really have to try and get into the mindset that the game wants you to have though - carefully plan your route, try not to fall, pay attention to your equipment/BB - if you try to play it like a normal open world game you'll have a terrible time.

I didn't enjoy the social aspect and the construction that much later on since the game becomes a bit too easy if you have tons of roads or ziplines. The story's typical Kojima in that it has very cool ideas and a fantastic ending, but the execution's a bit awkward at times with the excessive dialogue and some of the acting comes off as bit stilted to put it mildly. Mads Mikkelsen and Troy Baker were brilliant though. Some of the other actors clearly had problems with the videogame format but they gave fantastic performances. BB was also great and probably the best-written character (since it had no dialogue lines). So all in all I still enjoyed the story even though it wasn't the best thing ever. In total, I give Death Stranding 4 out of 5 BB's.

BTW, I think the reason that people don't really talk that much about it anymore is because it has basically 0 replayability - once you're done you're done. That's a very good thing in my opinion! gently caress replayability, once I've seen the ending I rarely want to get back to a game, even if I had fun playing it. I strongly prefer it if you can see everything or at least most of what a game has to offer in a single playthrough (excluding stuff like roguelites).

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 1, 2020

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

JRPGs in general seem to be better at endings, even if they're flawed otherwise. WRPGs, especially those with multiple endings, tend to have short and unsatisfying endings that feel the intern came up with it 5 minutes before release. Maybe it's because having multiple endings takes resources away from making a single good ending sequence. A notable exception to this rule is Witcher 3, however, which had 3 very good and very long endings. Meanwhile if we look at JRPGs, even an unfinished mess like FF XV has a well thought out and satisfying (if a bit short) ending. I also like the SMT/Persona way of doing things by having multiple endings with one being the clear "correct" one. You have the illusion of choice but can still feasibly have a big bombastic ending sequence if the player gets the true ending.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Hot take: This whole "value per money" discussion surrounding games is kind of dumb since most people focus on the time it takes to complete a game as the primary thing that measures "value". This has lead to games getting bloated with more and more boring filler sidequests and collectables as time goes on. If a game is really good I'll gladly pay full price for it, how long it is doesn't matter that much. If I just cared about playtime for money, I'd never have to buy another game again, since If I played through my whole backlog of games I haven't finished yet, it would take me essentially forever. It's not that I even own that many unfinished games - I just don't have that much time to play them!

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Hollow Knight is the only Dark Souls inspired game that I know of that actually gets the proper atmosphere right by which I mean it's dark but not just grimdark, there's also a certain grandeur to it, almost sublime. Most of them (like Mortal Shell) are just grimdark and depressing to look at.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

My friends, have you forgotten about Rayman? He was the single good Western platforming mascot, and Rayman 2 and especially 3 were my favorite platformers back in the day.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

!Klams posted:

Blasphemous totally nails it. You're totally right, it's that sublime grandeur that elevates the DS aesthetic. Blasphemous is kinda based on Spanish Catholicism, so it has that in spades. It's also just a really good and fun metroidvania. Actually, I'm surprised you don't hear about it much?

Or have I fallen for yet another trap and it actually won game of the century fifteen centuries running and it's the Big Bang Theory of games and this post the Big Bang Theory of posts

I was a bit interested in it, but the trailers made it seem more like the typical edgelord grimdark souls copy with the torture instruments and the dead baby bossfight and so on. If you say that it really nails the souls aesthetic though I might give it a shot.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Bloodborne is the worst From Software game I've played. It's still brilliant, but worse than all the Dark Souls titles and Sekiro. The levels get notably duller and uglier after night falls and the progression system feels like a half assed compromise between the more involved system of the Souls games and Sekiro's streamlined version. The combat is not that different from the Souls series honestly, you just have less options. All that talk about it requiring to be more agressive is kind of bullshit, most of the time you are still better off playing it slowly and methodically. Also, spiders are gross and I hate it when a game has realistic looking ones (for some reason the ones in DS2 didn't bother me as much since they look more like crabs). Still, in spite of my nitpicking, it's a very, very good game.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

With the plethora of video game reviews, Let's Plays and streams around for almost every game, I find it pretty easy to tell if I'm going to like a game or not. Granted, you have to keep in mind that most video game "reviews" are essentially ads and most reviewers have some sort of brain worms due to all the overhyped garbage they have to play but if you keep that in mind, you can still get some useful info out of them.

In the case of something like Anthem vs Ghost of Tsushima, it's especially easy because GoT is a Playstation exclusive which almost always means top notch quality whereas Anthem is published by EA and made by Bioware which really says it all.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I don't really understand the appeal of the Fallout setting at all. If I wanted to wade through some greybrown hellscape devoid of human life, I could just go for a walk.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Lodin posted:

And the mirrors in those bathrooms were just a blurry texture with some crap filters.
The first thing you see in the original Prey is your reflection in a bathroom mirror.

What I'm saying is that poo poo like that should be standard by now but it takes time and effort so publishers nix it and devs can't be arsed.

AFAIK mirrors are hard because without raytracing you have to essentially double the image, so if the game already takes a lot of resources this can be too computationally expensive.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

lurker2006 posted:

It would have been interesting if they had just used Keanu as a face scan and gotten another actor to do the mocap and voice acting like most recent games have done with no name facial models

I agree. Real actors should not be allowed to perform voicework or acting in videogames ever. Voice actors, especially those that normally do stuff like trashy anime are often far better suited for videogames. Look at Death Stranding where all the performances are extremely wooden with the exception of Troy Baker's. There's also Mads Mikkelsen who's very good too, but he seems to be the exception, not the rule.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Caesar Saladin posted:

Halo 1 has a few insanely bad levels that are almost impossible to navigate if you get turned around at any point, they got me so lost when I was 13 and I quit halfway through

A very smart decision since while the first half of Halo is fantastic and was one of my favorite things to play as a teen, the second half is much duller than the first.

I actually haven't played a shooter since my teens, which was the time of the original Call of Duty and Halo and Half-Life 2 etc. Playing Doom Eternal after such a long time has been quite a trip.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

is pepsi ok posted:

I finally got Titanfall 2 (shout out to the people ITT who recommended it) and I have to say how genuinely happy I am that it has an extremely generic paper thin story. All I want out of the story from games like this is a quick explanation of why I'm the good guy and why everyone I mow down is the bad guys and what I need to do to save the world and then just loving turn me loose so I can run on walls and smash dudes with my mech. The plot never interrupts the flow of the game. Like at most some guy will give me a 30 second speech about how I need to go get this thing and kill everything in my path to get it and then I'm on my way.

I wish more games were like this.

I agree, but mostly because most videogame stories are very dull. I'm currently playing through the newer Doom games and it's pretty great that the story's so minimal like you described. I'll happily watch hour long cutscenes in something like the Yakuza games however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Wait is eternal no good or something. I liked the original one and eternal is on sale for like 20$

I have only played the first few levels of 2016 and Eternal so far, but I started with Eternal and liked it a lot. The story is utter nonsense, but the cutscenes are thankfully very brief and the combat and level design is fantastic. I decided to play and finish 2016 first though, because it's supposed to be a bit easier and I haven't played a FPS since 2008 or so. So far 2016 is indeed much simpler combat-wise (even a bit boring in places) but has a better, darker atmosphere and as good as Eternal's levels are, the levels in 2016 feel more like a "real" place and less like a videogame level.