Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

System Shock 1 is better than System Shock 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

CrRoMa posted:

I like Uncharted more than The Last of Us

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Panzeh posted:

Colonization is Brian Reynolds' best game, it was much better than Civilization.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Flannelette posted:

Which game doesn't do this?

smash

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I really like the dancing turtles in the newer Super Mario sidescrollers.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

As a six year old kid, I didn't understand why my borrowed NES didn't have those fancy intros with flashing names to games that the C64 from my brothers had.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Chrono Trigger actually owns, it's Secret of Mana I never managed to really get into because the combat has such a super strange pacing.

The other Seiken Densetsu games I played are cool and good, though, especially Mystic Quest on the Gameboy.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The last of us is good, but the gameplay is bad

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

Yep. No one really needs to keep 10 games on their device at a time. It's nice, but unnecessary.

Tell that to myself when I am faced with the decision of what to delete. Suddenly I wanna play it all!!!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

CrRoMa posted:

Ah, finally something we agree on

e: I misread that, sorry

tuo fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 7, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

!Klams posted:

...game gear was better than gameboy.

During the twenty minutes the batteries were able to power it, yes.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I got something similar when I asked for a NES with the TMNT game.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Game boy Metroid 2 had the best athmosphere of all 2D metroids.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Aliens: Colonial Marines wasn't as bad as critics made it to be

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

i've never played a video game for longer than 150 hours and that was witcher 3 with all the expansions

Apparently, I played a lot of games for hundreds of hours which have their own launcher launched from steam.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Terra Nova is one of the best games ever

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Crafting was kinda fun in Minecraft. That's it. That's the only game I enjoyed crafting. Maybe because it has "craft" in the name, I don't know.

Apart from that, crafting should have died out years ago instead of beeing added to nearly every game.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The first couple of missions of Wolfenstein: The old blood are awful.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It owns!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

signalnoise posted:

It does own but Sekiro and Nioh are very different games and they do different things well that the other game doesn't even touch

Like if you think Sekiro makes Nioh look like trash, you just didn't like what Nioh was to begin with imo

I don't know, I never played Nioh, but I want to, now, after experiencing Sekiro.

I'd say though that Sekiro is not a Soulsborne game. It shares so little with them, that it truly is a new thing from From, imo.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

signalnoise posted:

Nioh has Diablo loot and the mission structure of a lobby-based game. It also has terrible explanations of its systems, which sucks because everything seems pretty well designed when you understand it, but for example the Parry stat on weapons has absolutely nothing to do with parries. It's a good game, but if you wanted a Souls type of game from it, you'll be pretty disappointed. If what you want is an action RPG with Diablo loot and incredibly powerful spells, special moves, etc then you might get really into Nioh.

Sounds interesting anough for me to give it a spin after beating Sekiro. So basically never :negative:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Not trying to troll here, but how exactly is it not a Souls game? From what I've played, it has:
-Bonfires
-Respawning enemies
-Estus Flasks
-nearly-identical combat (I know it has Poise or whatever, but it still seems to be a minor variation on "dodge/deflect, counter, repeat til dead"
-extremely sparse story mostly fleshed out by entirely optional NPCs and area exploration
-The ability to attack NPCs by accident and they hate you forever and you get locked out of potential quests/storylines

I'm not the most versed in Souls games (beat 1, played 2 and 3 for a little), but aside from the crappy stealth integration and the grappling hook, it really seems like the same game with a different skin and slightly different combat timings.

e: the only blatant thing missing I can think of is the build variety, but I'm only like an hour into Sekiro so that may be in there too.

There are a couple of things that - to me - define a soulsborne game. The way they tell stories, the way the make you feel like you are progressing as an RPG character which is mostly unimportant, the way they handle combat and - especially - the way the handle you failing against enemies and thus, dying.

Storytelling is different here, because it's more direct, but I'd give that a pass if it would be the only difference.

Character progression is totally different, so I think there is no need for me to write a long paragraph about that: you simply can't grind through most challenges.

Which brings me to the most important part, the fighting mechanics, and how the game deals with you dying. The fight mechanics are totally different, but that's not the point I'm trying to make, because that was the same with Bloodborne. But dying means something completely different in this game, and the bonfires they spread around now are - imo - a proof for that. Since you can no longer grind the game, you actually NEED to master it (I know there are ways to cheat bosses, but that won't get you far). Dying here means you lose half the stuff you had (with a certain percentage of that not going to happen, which goes down while you keep dying). With the bonfires much closer together and much closer to bosses, it makes it much easier to master the fight mechanics, while also making it mandatory to master the fight mechanics.

It's hard to put into words, but it feels pretty different from the five soulsborne games before, at least to me. The challenge is different, and the feeling of the challenge is different.

I understood why Bloodborne basically caused the renaming of "soulslike" to "soulsborne like", because even though the combat was totally new, the game felt similar in nearly all aspects.

Sekiro feels different in nearly all aspects, imo.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The peak quality of Mario Kart games was Mario Kart 64

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

2house2fly posted:

You can only cheat in PC games nowadays :(

IIRC, Rage 2 just reintroduced cheats which you can either unlock during SP, or buy via pre-ordering.

It's hosed up....

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

xcom: terror from the deep was the best xcom

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I don’t give a gently caress what anyone says the airboat section of Half Life 2 was fun.

I enjoyed the first fiveteen minutes of it. The rest eight hours though....

The pacing in Half Life 2 is just weird to me. The ant lion level is similar, imo. It's a fun concept for the first three or four encounters, but after what felt to me like two hours (yeah, I'm greatly exaggerating here) it just wanted it to be over.

It's such a strange game in my book...so many really cool and good things, but repeated so often that they got on my nerves. I really, really want to like HL2 as much as I did HL1, but I somehow can't. Not talking about the episodes of course, but the main game.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

In TYOOL 2019, some multiplayer games should still have bots, because bots are cool.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Flannelette posted:

MW2 has a really really good couch co-op mode.

I don't know how many hours I spent on that scrapyard map with my brother in co-op.

The first couple of CoDs are fun...sadly it became an asset swap soon.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault still is one of the best games in that genre, though.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Bogus Adventure posted:

My eyes start hurting whenever I look at the Switch remake. I think it's the blurred edges because my eyes are trying desperately to bring it into focus.

:same:

I don't mind the art direction, but that stupid blur needs to go

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Horizon: Zero Dawn is boring (mainly due to open world)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Iconoclasts has one of the very best soundtracks of all times

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

Honest question. Does everyone that thinks Bloodstained is really great actually find it to be a really well designed game, or is it just filling the CV void that hasn't been filled for over a decade? I feel like I'm playing a different game than everyone else. Just about everything about it feels really lackluster. Although it is tugging those nostalgia strings and is fun enough that it's worth playing. At the same time I'd have a really hard time calling it good.

I'm kinda in the same boat. Playing the switch port might not help, also. The thing is: I never played SOTN. I played Castlevania on the SNES and Gameboy, but since I never had a PS1, I don't even know how good or bad SOTN is. I know I love many Metroidvanias, because I love Metroid. So I got Bloodstained, and I am currently not sure why it is getting the high praise. It feels unfinished and pretty rough around the edges (not just the Switch port, but from what I can see on YouTube, it's the same on other platforms). It isn't a bad game, mind you, but without SOTN-experience, I can't compare it. If I compare it to some of my favourite metroidvanias of recent years, it wouldn't come out on top, or even in the top five.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rutibex posted:

i'm the opposite of you. i play SOTN back in the day but i never played any of the DS games or the modern indy Metroidvanias (except Rogue Legacy, which was fun). i am curious, what are the five metroidvanaias that are better than Bloodstained?

I'm purely going by how much fun I had, not by game design/mechanics, so I wouldn't say my list documents "the better ones", but simply the ones I liked more (maybe due to gameplay, maybe due to story, maybe due to athmosphere, or all of them combined) than Bloodstained. In no particular order:

Metroid 2 - Samus Returns remake
Hollow Knight
Iconoclasts
Ori
Xeodrifter (maybe not, but it felt a lot more polished, and had very sound game mechanics that worked wonderfully)

Again, this is just personal preference...Bloodstained somehow just doesn't "grip" me, and the bad Switch port doesn't help either.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The White Dragon posted:

i thought ori was o.k. but that was it. it was never really grabbing and its navigation abilities were way too linear.

I actually agree a bit. Ori grapped me from a pure aesthetical standpoint. Similar to Iconoclasts, which in itself is actually a pretty poor Metroidvania (in regard to backtracking and opening up new areas and routes with new abilities) but has such an awesome art direction, soundtrack and a story that I'll never forget, and was simply pure fun.

I just can't find the same fun I had in the mentioned games in Bloodstained, but as I said before, it's just personal taste plus the fact that I never played SOTN and thus I assume I am missing a lot of nostalgy injection while playing.

I'd fight anyone IRL though when it comes to defending Hollow Knight ;)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rutibex posted:

:psyduck:
ok now I have two separate lists of metroidvanias that are supposedly better than Bloodstained, and neither one has Dead Cells so i have to add that to the list. WTF happened to this genre? is metroidvania the new rogue-like or something. i don't have time to play 10+ metroidvanias!

I had Dead Cells in mind, but it doesn't fit the "pure Metroidvania" genre, imo, with it beeing roguelike and soulslike

e: play Hollow Knight and Iconoclasts. Both are worth it, for different reasons.

tuo fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 4, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

oh dope posted:

All lot of those decades old 3D games' assets are ugly as poo poo and should be forgotten anyway.

counterpoint: Terminator: Future Shock

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

System Shock 1 is better than System Shock 2 anyway (I now I said this before)

Also: Bioshock 3 had a cool mindfuck ending to the story, which I really liked...until they ruined it (imo) with the DLCs....

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

e: argh, wrong thing

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Requiem: Avenging Angel is really, really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

abigserve posted:

on reflection after being away from the game for a bit I can confidently say red dead 2 is the only game I've ever played that has had a good story

This. Everyone who (rightly so) complains about all the lovely immersion stuff in RDR2: just blast through the campaign and forget about everything else. It's worth it.