Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
The first 2 Fallouts are about on par with the later ones.

(I actually completed the first two but I didn't really have a great time doing it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

signalnoise posted:

I'd say the first two Fallouts are great for their time and the Bethesda ones are poo poo for their time

That's fair. I experienced the classics for the first time 2-3 years ago when I bought them on GoG.
Killed The Master with a reload exploit.
Also, an addendum: I haven't really played any FO games post New Vegas.

I wanted to give the black sheep of the family another chance recently but I had forgotten FO3 will crash whenever I try to explore an interior cell and I can't get arsed to find a fix.
I rather enjoyed the humor in that game, if nothing else.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I forgot I actually did buy 4 on sale once but haven't gotten around to it, IIRC people were loving pissed at that one haha.

The main character (i.e. you) being voice acted is reason enough for me to stay the hell away from that one.
Hate when my character makes idle chatter to no one in particular.

...Anyone familiar with Wasteland? I mean the very first one, or the remaster at least. AFAIK the Fallouts where heavily influenced by that one.
I plan on playing them chronologically but the character creation is always a daunting task in RPGs where I don't know which skills will actually become useful.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah, Wasteland 1,as an ancient CRPG, should only be played for about an hour as a novelty or because you're the kind of nostalgic weirdo who loves such a thing even though by contemporary standards it is practically unplayable

My avatar is the game over image from Wasteland 1, guess which camp I fall into

Contemporary standards include a dialogue-wheel and consolized user interface and can eat my entire rear end.

Though speaking of:
I think the Metroid Prime games (the first 2 at any rate) are superior to Super Metroid, even down to the platforming.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I don't have much against Souls games but I struggle to call them RPGs.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

christmas boots posted:

There’s no such thing as an RPG. They’ve been lying to you all these years.

True. Witcher is no more RPG than Super Mario Sunshine.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

KonvexKonkav posted:

I don't really understand the appeal of the Fallout setting at all.

People liked Mad Max. Ironically the franchise is lacking in vehicular combat.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

poverty goat posted:

This is gonna be awesome

First videya where you have to earn your license to kill.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
My first console was a GameCube and I'd say it had more hits than misses but back then I didn't really know I had money so I had to make informed purchases.
I hated the memory system though. And it was never the cool console to own.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
A James Bond movie is only as good as the villain's head henchman.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was big at the time since iirc it came out right as every other game was turning into a brown linear cover based shooter. Much like with Skyrim, the idea that you can go any direction you want and do things at your own pace is mind-blowing to people who don't really play many games but AAA blockbusters.

It also helped that it was from "The Makers of Oblivion" :whitewater:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Sure, be the stealth guy.
Just don't put sneak as one of your major skills or you're gonna level up too fast and miss out on those precious attribute points.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
One thing I remember about New Vegas is that the designers REALLY want the player to stick to this one route.
Go anywhere else and you end up assailed by deathclaws or cazzadors or whatever. Or you bump into an invisible wall.

Kinda makes me wish the 3D Fallouts had world map travel systems like the first two games.
But then I'd miss out on all the wasteland vistas.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I spent the majority of FO1 and 2 just waiting for my turn.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
The DKC games sure handle momentum better than OG SMB3 :colbert:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Do you think Bethesda had actual concept art for Oblivion's more important NPCs or do you think they just hit the random button?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
The basebuilding in the " first new" X-Com sucks because I suck at it and it's not fun.
Also, the way that game is paced and how promotions work, it seems I need to stick to a select elite force and not get any of them killed, ever.
I haven't played the older games but from what I've seen, you're kind of expected to lose quite a few people in those.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I just haven't gotten that far.
I played Enemy Unknown up to something called "terror mission" or something, dunno, and this new type of alien just ran into the room and stabbed my dude.
Stopped playing after that. In hindsight, maybe going in blind on ironman mode was a mistake.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

!Klams posted:

Is there another word for 'group of people of greater age'?

Seniors.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Warhammer isn't particularly original either, aside from their acid green orcs being fungoids whose stuff only works because they believe it, so if anything Warcraft is a rip-off of a rip-off.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I give Warcraft a point in originality for ridiculously long eyebrows.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Play posted:

I've actually read 40k novelizations, when I was younger and more foolish and I think you are giving the whole thing way too much credit. Trust me, they were not written as jokes or not to be taken seriously. They were 100% serious. There's no way I would miss even the slightest hint of tongue in cheek because I was looking for it.

And the question becomes why would I even care about any of these characters,? It's not even clear what they are or what they want. Do they eat? Do they poo poo? Are there civilians living normal lives somewhere? What are they fighting for??

Who knows!!! Because all they are is overdone male power fantasies

Wow!! Cool empire!!!

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

food court bailiff posted:

on 40k chat i always liked the necron lore - they were an evil race of cancer-riddled people with insanely low lifespans and awakened what they thought was a god to give them eternal life, but it was an evil god so it turned them all into space mummy skeleton robots so they can't enjoy living at all

I hear they retconned it so the space mummy skeletons put elder gods in pokeballs

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Hades is a perfectly good example of why the player character shouldn't talk, ever.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Lodin posted:

Wait, so is that actually a good Sam? I thought 3 was okay and I had fun with it. Certainly wasn't as bad as 2 (that God thank you has stopped from working on modern machines) but it still wasn't the same mad balls bullshit.
Is it actually good? Oh please say it is!

It looks better than 3 at least.
2 gets a lot of deserved poo poo, mostly for trying too hard to be funny, poorly implemented physics mechanics and overly racial caricatures but I feel it at least got the enemy and level variety right.

3 gave us cramped city ruins, hit-scan enemies 5 minutes in, the stupid melee attack poo poo that's so popular nowadays,
iron sights, boring "grounded" level designs with none of the wacky gravity poo poo, and - again - a plot, with characters we're supposed to care about(?).

It was okay.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I liked what little I played of Half-Life 2 deathmatch more than Counterstrike because I could chuck bathtubs and radiators at people.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Super Mario Galaxy is the Half-Life 2 of, uh, PC games.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Metroid Prime is a better platformer than Super Metroid.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

lurker2006 posted:

you never figured out how to do the walljump did you?

Couldn't even get past the fact you have to press down twice to enter morph ball mode.
Besides the jumping and sound effects just seem/sound silly in third-person.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Kinda wish someone would make another game like MDK, Giants and Armed & Dangerous bit then it would probably lack the charm of the early 2000's lovely low-poly models.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
For me the most frustrating part of Earthbound was the inventory management.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

So it's Oblivion with guns.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Vandar posted:

No it didn't. They announced a new game a month ago and released a teaser screenshot yesterday.

Maybe it's a slow death like the Heroes of Might & Magic franchise.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Stealth wasn't really viable until Skyrim IMO.

In Morrowind the chance of being spotted is decided by X-Com numbers and in Oblivion every creature is an arrow sponge and once you're detected they will chase you to the end of the province.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Good video game 1st person melee(?) combat does not exist.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Shibawanko posted:

i somehow never minded morrowind's combat, it wasnt great but the enemies somehow felt a lot more threatening than in oblivion or skyrim, maybe because they could just overwhelm you with stats and it didnt really matter what their AI was like and also because a lot of the enemies were just monsters or skeletons so youd expect them to act kind of dumb

Morrowind also didn't go out of its way to be "action-y".
It was just an RPG that happens to be in first person.

People say it breaks immersion when you clip a rat and the attack doesn't register because your weapon skill is 5 and your stamina is low but I'll take that over Oblivion's pin cushion goblins any day.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Gorn, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Shadow Warrior, Warhammer: Vermantide, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay...

Looked up a gameplay video of Vermintide 2 and the combat itself doesn't seem very involved.
Not that it can afford to be, being a horde game.

I don't remember much of Dark Messiah other than spamming the kick button a lot.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Caesar Saladin posted:

you can pet a lot of dogs in games but i want one where you can pick up a cat and walk around with it.

Check out Postal 2.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Star Wars is spacepunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
FF6 is steampunk but is FF7 cyberpunk?