Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Harrow posted:

The reason I like Geralt is that he pretends to be tough and emotionless but he's actually a big soft-hearted goober who has no idea how to be a dad.

I mean that's really it. I just think he's kind of a fun character. There's this in-universe myth that Witchers are emotionless killing machines and Geralt seems to really try to believe that it's true, so he doesn't even realize how emotional he really is. (Also given every Witcher we meet in the games I have no idea how anyone believes that Witchers are emotionless. They're a bunch of idiot bros who joke around and tell stories and get weepy all the goddamn time.)

Oddly enough that's a turn that a lot of 'gruff antiheroes with a well hidden heart of gold' take.

IIRC Witchers play up that stereotype with the common folk in an attempt to be taken seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hotel Mario goes pretty well with the Mario cartoons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jeza posted:

Navigate the subtleties of Edwardian class politics in Bioware's latest masterpiece, A Room with a View. Over 150 different etiquette faux pas to avoid while hobnobbing across ten lovingly rendered and period-accurate country homes and gentleman's clubs. Will they discover your status as a nouveau riche plebeian? Or will you claim the land of the lovely Lady de Montfort and claim your place at society's table?

Now available with DLC collectible Meissen plates. Customise your hero down to the stitching of his waistcoat with our revolutionary new "Carnaby Street" character customisation software, with well over twenty million sartorial combinations.

e: claim the hand. not the land. well, also the land.

I think I'd play the poo poo out of this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jeza posted:

The binary morality system is between Capital Fellow and Cad. For lovers of minigames, we offer croquet and fox hunting. Our advanced dialogue system offers you deep and meaningful choices through choleric, melancholic, sanguine and phlegmatic options, with Witticism or Snobbery interrupts.

Cad life

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They've made well received and addictive games based on hospital administration and double-checking immigration paperwork. I don't think there's anything that couldn't make a great game, done right.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vakal posted:

Newborn chicken sexing simulator.

Flick the controller to toss the useless male chicks onto the conveyor belt that leads to the industrial grinder.

Give it great presentation and catchy music like a WarioWare game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Nintendo 64 controller is much better than the Gamecube controller.

How do people not understand that you don't need to use all three prongs at once. I figured this out as a literal child.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Gamecube controller is pretty great for games designed around it, and pretty miserable for games that aren't. It just feels so good in your hands. (though I like the modern revisions with the C-stick having a proper grip)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vegetable posted:

This is weird because when I was scouting controllers to buy for PC use, most of the cross-platform reviews settled on the Nintendo Pro controller as the best one. I haven’t tested it myself but it gets really good reviews.

I think good battery life and a d pad mostly contribute to that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It just felt like junk of the period between 1996 and 2000. Tamagotchi, Pocketstation, Giga Pet, Pixel Chix, VMU....all based on the same premise and all extremely bad.

I think those gimmicks would have lasted longer if they played more to user-friendliness and cross-compatibility.

Hell, revive Digimon as a mobile app nowadays with cute graphics and you could maybe even compete with Pokemon Go. Though no one wants to give it more than the bare minimum of production values.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wii was fun at the time for a lot of reasons other than the motion controls.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Hey You Pikachu microphone is apparently surprisingly good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've gotten way better at games over the years for the most part.

Might be that we're too ashamed to pick easy mode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DogonCrook posted:

Id rather gaming was legal to be honest and that gambling was spiced up like video games. poo poo.

That's probably the joke, but it already is, and there's a lot of overlap. Hell, Konami tried to go full on into gambling machines and abandon regular ol' games. (right as Japan legalised regular ol' gambling and cracked down on pachinko parlours)

Also see how Pokemon games took out the slot machine parlours later on since they were getting the games rated higher for Gambling References. I think Japan is or was a lot more lenient about gambling and depictions thereof.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It depends on the kind of indie games. For I think most people, it's that indies make games in styles and genres that big publishers have abandoned, screwed up or never do much of in the first place, so they're the only game in town. (not to mention releasing games during mid-year droughts when nothing else is coming out, for the people who like having new stuff)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole idea of 'genre' in video games is really vague, artificial and unhelpful most of the time, at least the categories that most people know. There is a genuine need for categorisations, but nobody can really agree on where to start.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

fridge corn posted:

Is there really a genuine need for categorisations? Why?

Because video games demonstrably have massive amounts of variety in how they play, how they are constructed and what experience they give, to the point where the only things some have in common is being on the same platform, while others are clearly iterations on each other within the same category even if they are unrelated franchises, and people who buy and play games like having a decent way to figure out what they're looking at and what they want to look for in an increasingly swamped market.

I mean, that seems pretty obvious. Why wouldn't they?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

I wonder if there are also people who watch movies from 1905 named things like "Kerfuffle at the Cobbler's" or "Horse Crosses the Main Street" and claim they still hold up in 2018.

I bet there's even people who still play chess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

I remember back when nearly every game with the Star Wars license that came out was great. And then George Lucas decided to make three more movies, so it wasn't a dead property that nobody gave a poo poo about anymore and every Star Wars game since then has been bad.

That's basically how it goes with most licensed games. If it's a rushed tie-in to a movie, it's garbo von garbage. If it isn't, it has a chance of being surprisingly good. See The Warriors, Shadow of Mordor, KOTOR...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

fridge corn posted:

Yeah but that guy was complaining that there weren't any or something equally stupid idk

Maybe you should pay attention to what you're arguing about

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phantasium posted:

can't believe books expect me to know how to read

You can get audio books though

Is that the equivalent of Let's Plays?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

oh dope posted:

Every video game is a puzzle game. It's the only essential, true category. You may think you're playing an RPG or a shmup or a platformer or a multiplayer fps, but really what you're doing is observing and recognizing patterns, and then responding with the appropriate actions to solve a problem. Your reward is a new problem too solve. This pleases the monkey brain.

Calm down, Professor Layton.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sebmojo posted:

Every game is a nerd simulator

Wouldn't sports games be jock simulators

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tales from the Borderlands was so much better than it had any right to be. Pity about the rest.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dr.Smasher posted:

They made the Sam & Max games on PS3, and I enjoyed those. They were good games. Fight me.

They were also on everything else.

spaceblancmange posted:

But reads expensive licenced choose your own adventure games.

It seems like licensed adventure games, especially with the licenses they had, have a lot less broad appeal than the licenses themselves did. Probably doesn't help that they neither advertised nor made them easily accessible for the casual market where they'd have the most crossover appeal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's something oddly fun about exploring an established series/genre from the perspective of someone who'd normally be an NPC or side character in someone else's story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

EvilGenius posted:

I'm still pissed that the entire industry chose the diamond button layout on joypads rather than the two rows of three that the Genesis and Saturn had.

The original Xbox kinda had that with the black and white buttons. Likewise the N64 with the yellow buttons. Was confusing though.

It's kinda funny remembering how back in the day the Playstation came with basically a clone of the SNES controller with different (admittedly much better) grips, and the Dual Shock added the control sticks, rumble, and a second set of L and R buttons, with Ape Escape advertised specifically around using those features.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

PSone controller always had 4 shoulder buttons, from day one.

Oooh, right, that's my memory failing me again.

The Gamecube controller seems like it's really good for games that are designed specifically around it, and terrible for everything else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is making me want to play New Vegas. I don't need hit animations when I'm being irresponsible with nuclear weapons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

This post is gargantuan in its odiousness

It's downright brobdingnagian

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Earthbound is really clunky, and it took me a while to get the hang of Super Metroid. (I do like the quirks like how you can turn powerups on and off individually) Super Mario RPG is also a bit hard to go back to after playing the Paper Mario games, timed hits are actually kind of a bitch. Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island have aged really well, I think, but problem is I've kinda played them to death already.

OG Super Mario Kart is... kinda interesting in how freeform it can be in comparison to more recent instalments (Love how you can explore the N64 Peach's Castle courtyard in Mario Kart 64) and actually pretty fun if you have the patience for it, but the AI doesn't even try to be fair.

I did warn my little brother when showing off the SNES Mini that playing these old games is a bit like bringing a dinosaur back to life.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, counting Genesis, there's the original Sonic games, Gunstar Heroes I think has a kickass formula. And of course anything Kirby.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm tempted to try Fortnite or something similar. It seems fun to gently caress around in, if probably horrible to actually earnestly try to win.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Overall, Sega actually making good games was an anomaly and probably a fluke in their entire history.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That said, Sega publishes a fair few good games. I think the issue seems to be that their side franchises and publisher projects can often be good, but anything that they actually pay attention to turns to poo poo, with Sonic being their flagship franchise they can't bear to actually realise they need to completely change everything about how they make it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I used to like the Star Trek: Starfleet Academy SNES game. Mostly the music come to mind. Funny thing is I knew jack all about Star Trek.

It mostly stands out as being besides Star Fox one of the few 3D SNES games. (at least in the gameplay proper)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

i really liked this game but i didn't put it on my list because people would make fun of me. thanks for having the courage to say what i couldnt

I don't think it's that MUCH of a game, but it has a lot to play with, between the main story, simulations playing out the plots of various movies, the 2-player where you can play anything from Federation to Klingon to Tholian ships, and open-ended story mode missions in adventure game style.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fourth Wall posted:

A lot of weird choices on that list but I haven't played many of them.

For sure, the original Lufia has no business being on a best-of. It was a generic chore when I played it about a decade ago and I can't imagine that anything's changed since. Its sequel is awfully good though.

How many consoles from any generation have more than 15-20 really timeless games to play?

Obligatory PC gaming as cheating.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm a tragic for the original Star Fox but even if you can accept that it only had like 20 polygons to go around I wouldn't expect anyone to learn to aim without a reticule.

Music kicks rear end tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

Pirating is ok at any time, under all circumstances.

I'm gonna be king of the pirates!!