Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Caesar Saladin posted:

nazis are completely inseparable from their culture of genocide and supremacy, its not something they did on the side

its like trying to play as the zerg without the goop they have to build on

edit: i watched Come and See recently and its got me all worked up

Come and See is right up there with Salo in terms of unpleasantness and "I kinda wish I never watched this".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I support the behead the police movement but Disco Elysium is a great game and it has helped me get and stay sober.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Disco Pope posted:

That sounds like a very silly hot button take, but I guarantee the novel is Infinte Jest and that's hilarious.

It was and that lady is balls-to-the-wall stupid. I know guys who own Infinite Jest and have never read it. The only person I discuss the book with is a woman. There's nothing in the text that would make it especially appealing to sex criminals. I can see why dudes might own it just to own a huge book that can be hard to read but it's relatable for its depiction of depression, addiction and recovery. Really fail to see how it could get associated with toxic manliness or whatever.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

bob dobbs is dead posted:

my bar is no cannibalism anymore and no endangered species. there are some non endangered whales forex

chicken sushi is good but you gotta have it in japan where they have the salmonella vaccinated chickens and theres still a solid chance of getting sick w something else

ever have basashi?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
raw horse rules. whale is good but strange. natto is disgusting. those haunted moving fish flake things can all go to hell

the best beef tartare I ever had was at au pied du Cauchon in Paris

my folks lived in eschborn in Germany in the 80s and my dad accidentally ordered pork tartare once. he didn't like it. but he said the germans take it super cereal and inspect the meat with a microscope prior to serving.

what thread is this?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Disco Elysium was better before they added total voice over because of Dot Major and Dasha.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The CDI had a better library of games than Sony Playstation.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dewgy posted:

Does I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream count as a licensed game, or is that more of an adaptation?

I always wanted to play that game and own the awesome box as a kid. Now I have it on my phone and I play it every time I fly to China. Awesome game, great voice acting, really bleak.

That is a licensed game, yeah.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Disco Elysium was the only game I've ever played that meaningfully spoke to addiction/suicidality and made me weep like a bitch.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

!Klams posted:

You (read: I) forget how good the early GoT writing actually was.

:chloe:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Rascar Capac posted:

I didn't cry because of it, but I did find myself emotionally effected by the plot of Hotline Miami, of all things.

Anyone putting this down to some combination of depression/me being a huge fuckup is probably correct.

You gotta get your poo poo together dude.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Phigs posted:

I only skipped FF9 on the way of playing 7-12 when they came out. I went back to play it last year and I was extremely not impressed. Easily my least favorite FF of the ones I've played. Some people say it's more like the pre-7 FFs and I guess that would make sense because it felt nothing like the others.

I think when you play the games has a big impact. I still had an imagination and was more or less carefree when 7, 8, 9 came out and I played them. So I associate those games with youth and being happy and I remember their worlds real fondly. I still think I like Final Fantasy but every time I try to go back, even with the stupid shiny remake, it just doesn't click anymore.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

fridge corn posted:

I hate photo modes. Theres hardly ever a time when I want to take a photo and the ones where you click both sticks to activate is loving wonderful when you do it accidentally in the middle of combat

RDR's 2 photo mode is wonderful.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't want to just insult Read Dead 2 and say vitriolic things because some people love that game and its clearly a technical masterpiece but its the kind of game that whenever I sat down to play it within 20 minutes my mind would wander to a more fun videogame

The greet, greet, antagonize, shoot the school marm in the neck and throw an ax into a horse's eye is great fun for me. I go to other open world games and now they feel robotic and stiff because I can't hassle the NPCs to such a degree that brings me joy. It's so West World in that it lets me just be an unhinged psychopath without consequences. It's really cathartic. I've finally put it down after like 3 years of playing it non stop. Tried to play Ghosts of Sushi and it sucks dick. You can't behead farmers, you can't do poo poo.

I'm currently playing Wonder Project J2 for N64. It was a christmas present. I feel like I have to force myself to play videogames these days.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Caesar Saladin posted:

Honestly the act of loving around and killing random people in open world games lost its allure to me when i was like 17.

It feels different when you can apologize to them.

Edit: Same w/r/t hollow knight. Just didn't click. I think it is overhyped. But I loved/love Blasphemous.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Aren't there companies that sell fancy virtual reality prop guns for virtual reality and it makes me feel poor when I look that stuff up so I don't??

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
looks.....erotic

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
"punk" is to game aesthetics/settings as "core" is to musical genres.

Cybercore

Frostcore

Cloudcore

Steamcore

it's just a suffix that means this, this first word? that's what it's all about, STEAM

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Cumpunk 2069

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Sally posted:

goonpunk

ew

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm too depressed to play new games so I'm playing a translated repro cart of wonder project j 2 on n64 and it's pretty enjoyable, if slow.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I am enjoying Eastward, although it is very simple, I really like the art and atmosphere.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Popoto posted:

I’ve heard that while it has neat art and atmosphere, gameplay is barely a thing and most of it is an overbearing story that takes all the place, especially in the later half.

Confirm/deny?

Gameplay so far is ultra simplified Zelda and the dialogue can be very redundant so er uh, confirm? I'm only five hours in so can't speak to the second half yet.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Gaius Marius posted:

All nerds should be stuffed in lockers

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Altared State posted:

I refunded Disco Elysium because the story and gameplay was not really interesting

*screeching*

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

abigserve posted:

DE and RDR2 are the only two videogames that made me legitimately care about the story and characters as a full grown adult

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
DE appealed to the same part of me that likes slowcore as a genre and boring, comfortable, bleak films like The Hours. My favorite part of RPGs since I was a kid was walking around towns. FF13 was one of the worst things I have ever played. Just combat and nothing. DE was like just the towns and detectiving and playing dress up and the writing was so good that I was curious about places you don't see in it. I think I've said this before.

So I'll add this; every time I've played something FF7 related that isn't FF7 or even replaying FF7 again it's like hitting a crack pipe that you packed with cat litter. That rush is gone and any attempt to feel it again just leaves me feeling depressed and empty.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I really want the dude's novel to get translated and published here.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Tomba was good. So was Jackie Chan Stunt Master, Abe's Oddysey, Brave Fencer Musashi. The graphics weren't much and maybe it is just pining for youth but PS1 era was my favorite re: playing video games.

I have a few games like Suikoden 2 that are worth hundreds and consider selling them sometimes but I've sold old games in the past and always regret it, not least of why is that the market prices are always going up.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I traded thousand arms back to gamestop or maybe it was still ebx back then but now the cheapest I'm seeing is $165. That one hurt.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

roomtone posted:

what's the bad line? someone else brought it up too

If I remember it's just a screenshot of end dialogue where Kim outlines everything to your partner from the 41st and I think there was a typo and people took issue with the use of *asterixes* and wordiness of it. But it's the biggest block of text in the game and serves to fill in for what would be a cut scene in any other game so it's a weird thing to take out of context.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
PEOPLE DON'T TALK LIKE THAT! It's bad! BAD I TELL YOU!

Bushido Blade is one of the most fun fighting games I've ever played and more games should have a suicide button.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The guy who made earthbound makes really nice day planners

https://www.1101.com/store/techo/en/

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Yo Intelligent Qube is on the playstation classic which I think is pretty much free if you can find it at retail these days. I got one for $25 at the mall.

Speaking of playstation classic, I've heard it is very easy to hack. I've never done anything like it before but I'm considering just following the steps and putting every PS1 game on it and getting an 8bitdo dongle to make it work with the ps4 controller.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

poverty goat posted:

the original cuno was better

gently caress yeah dot major

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPjrE6xkdLY

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I miss paper video game magazines and prefer them to the youtube and website bullshit we got now. gamefan was my favorite

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
all review systems should use the same metrics that help illustrate how sour warheads candy is

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I don't like playing online games, even with friends it does not click with me and I don't like it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I was laughing the other night because I remembered Habo Hotel, when people from the forums would join en masse all dressed in grey and we'd act like a cult and freak out other users. I guess that was a fun multiplayer experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

runnypoops posted:

I am playing Underrail for the millionth time and it is the best rpg if the 2010s

I want to do this when I get a new computer.