Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PinheadSlim posted:

This was a great post even if I don't 100% agree with it. I mean come on, Tony Hawk? Grand Theft Auto? Pssh. But still, you're right how a lot of PS2 games look like weird rear end unless run on a lovely old TV so you can't quite see how bad it is, or an emulator with AA turned the gently caress up.

I was going to go on about GTA but they beat me to “available on other platforms” which is yeah I guess it was.

Buuuuut who else had Rygar? That game was awesome and didn’t get ported until the Wii in ‘08.

Which now I really wish oh wait I do have a Wii somewhere...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Barudak posted:

Hollow Knight is not the worst game in its genre but its absolutely a game I cant bring myself to like and quit somewhere around getting the very, very boring dash power up

Yeah I have it in my library and just installed it to see if I like it yet and still nope

Minish Cap and Yoshi’s Island are the only GBA games I bought and coincidentally the best (logged hundreds of hours on each for full completion and full completion at low single digit deaths for Yoshi) but they’re not the kind of games I would have played if they weren’t handheld

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

lurker2006 posted:

So is the switch considered another wii u at this point? Last time I paid attention it seemed like they had rebounded.

Quick google says switch has sold 53 million to wiiu’s 13

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I never take my switch out of the dock and one of the shoulder buttons is broken but I don’t care because I have a switch pro controller which is probably the best controller out of the three major brands (or 4 lol steam which admittedly I haven’t used)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

That's weird, did you ever just go out and explore? I've gotten a bounty for standing near a robbed stagecoach with dead bodies that I failed to save in time, accidentally running into someone and them starting a fight with me, accidentally pulling out my gun because of the bad button mapping, shooting my gun at a tree in the middle of nowhere, etc.

I definitely remember fumbling around with the “new to me” controls on RDR1 and accidentally executing a hostage instead of untying her*. Other games that have complex menu systems with multiple button holds seem to give me less grief

* my gf walked in at this but didn’t comment :downsgun:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sunswipe posted:

Why would you do that when there are games that don't require a sacrifice of boredom before being good?

Exactly

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Caesar Saladin posted:

Those shrines in Breath of the Wild where you have to guide a ball through a maze with motion controls are the most egregiously stupid things ever. People never seem to mention them and they are absolutely the dumbest thing to put in a Zelda game.

It's pretty clumsy but probably not the dumbest thing in a Zelda game. I always play with a controller on a tv screen but flipping the handheld switch upside down and then a little to the left seems unfair f you're playing on the train. Even funnier as a sort of AR experience.

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 6, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Final Fantasy the movie is better than the FF you remember. It has the dj from Frasier and Steve Buscemi and Ving Rhames and

Budget: 137 million USD
Box office: 85.1 million USD

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Caesar Saladin posted:

if you ever contribute to a video game kickstarter, you might be a little silly but thats okay

if you ever contribute more than the retail price of a video game, you are absolutely totally insane. Seeing $1000 dollar backer tiers actually being fulfilled is seriously cray poo poo. Imagine paying $1000 dollars for Yooka Laylee because like, you enjoyed Banjo Kazooie as a kid.

Star citizen is the most expensive game ever and part of me wants to play it but come on

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nice Van My Man posted:

They should have given Gordon the ability to yell "SHUT UP!", which would automatically cause the person to skip their non-cutscene.

Or a crowbar :thunk:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

3D Megadoodoo posted:

X-Com Apocalypse is by far the best game in the UFO series of computer video games.

I have a soft spot for Terror from the Deep. Unpatched, warts and all. Just failing and failing to rescue any semblance of civilians and often most of my squad to death or insanity. No internet to tell me what I was doing wrong just hour after hour in cruise ships and island hell. :allears:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Shibawanko posted:

id install a detailed horse vagina mod, but only in skyrim and only together with a bunch of other mods

honestly i dont know why you wouldnt mod games. you already play games, so youre already a nerd. it's easy and makes the game more fun, just try it out

horses in skyrim are terrible

putting "realistic horse vulva 2.6" on them does not fix the problem

well it does for some people but after the wave of arrow to the knee jokes that's the second thing I knew about skyrim

some psychos made a realistic horse vulva simulator

gently caress a horse? buddy they won't even let me gently caress it

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I'm sure at this point they have a weightier meatier horse vulva with real physics that makes it bounce and jiggle appropriately but those horses are just so useless

Really frustrating

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Chomp8645 posted:

You know people say this all time but I don't know what they mean. I suspect it's just a meme people parrot without ever seeing it themselves. I've never had a problem using Nexus. I couldn't tell you what the people are like because you really have no reason to interact with them unless you are a modder yourself or doing some really deep poo poo.

I'm sure you could pull out some screenshots of some weird/bad poo poo some people said there. But honestly that applies to basically every online community everywhere, who gives a poo poo. The site works fine for basically everyone who just wants to browse and download mods, what else does it need to do?

So, yeah but there is a lot of horniness going on there

I just logged in to nexusmods and the "new today" besides realistic water includes, Becky, Petra, Abigail and Geraldo

I'm not sure what I'm criticizing I sound like a moralist lunatic but these are people's gently caress dolls

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfhZB7rQ7iA

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh, ok. It's that.

Listen, that means [b[you're the horny one[/b]. I think a lot of people don't know this, but Nexus really does not shove the horny mods front and center. Every mod on the site is categorized either "non-adult" or "adult". There is total segregation on this topic. It is the simplest thing to never show an adult mod there. I want to say that's the default, and that you must actively say "yes, show me adult mods" to see them, but I'm not totally certain on that. They also will not show them at all to someone without an account.

The reputation Nexus has for horniness versus the reality is so mismatched that that's what I mean when I say I think people are just repeating memes without seeing anything themselves. It really is not that way at all unless you go looking for it yourself. Yes, they have it there, it's completely allowed. You can find plenty of horny mods and plenty of discussion about them, but only if you want to. It's walled off to those who don't opt-in, so it leaves the impression that all the people harping about "the titty mods!" are in fact people who deliberately looked up titty mods. Because they wouldn't be seeing them otherwise.

Lmbo

okay you got me

I did, I wanted to see boobs jiggle I spent a week just DLing awful awful mods and the game got really creepy and disgusting and disrespectful of women

Not sure if nexusmods targets me as a creeper, but yeah the sex stuff and flower girls

Eventually everyone is petitioning you for sex or sex rescue

I am a monster and all that I decry

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I do 90 percent of my pc gaming with an xbone controller. I own a steam controller but that thing is as hosed as a soup sandwich.

Yeah xbone and 55” tv as monitor

The heat sink is like half the contents of the laptop so passive cooling works for most things

Windows, PShop and AC on the NVME, Steam games on a platter drive and a 10TB drive for movies and tv shows and uninstalled games/skyrim mods

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Plan Z posted:

Breath of the Wild fucks me up because I'm used to Zelda games just saying "No, you can't go here yet. Why are you even trying, you idiot?" Then in BotW I can go almost anywhere unimpeded, which means I'm constantly second-guessing if I'm doing the right thing.

It gives some good hints in the form of Lynels and hordes of robot sentinels.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

poverty goat posted:

Wasteland 3 isn't very good. It's still very much wasteland 2 with a new coat of paint. I'm near the end i think and it's a struggle to keep going because every pull feels like the last 200 pulls and there are lots of ui/ux bugs and performance issues where there absolutely should not be performance issues. And loads are really, really slow.

Feels like this is the new normal.

My friend couldn’t play Project Warlock and ended up buying a new GeForce that could run RDR2 on good settings at least

In retrospect I think I got the chain of events a little skewed but now he can probably run PW so that’s good

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FoolyCharged posted:

Diablo 2 is trash and doesn't belong on any "good game" list

It’s fun trash.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mind the walrus posted:

That's because Rockstar is a company that completely bought into its own hype around 2005 and forgot what it's like to have fun in a game. All they do is make cargo cult masculinity simulators for adolescents and manchildren who think that drinking a beer at the barber but being unafraid to change a diaper is the "new badass."

Very impressive tech and environmental work, terrible pieces of narrative fiction or particularly entertaining/enduring games.

I basicall: took gta v as a parody of itself because of how awful the single player plot was and then it becomes entertaining?

Profit

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ruffian Price posted:

And that was the serious, desaturated DLC. Symbolism the Houser way

4 was desaturated so well I could hardly stand more than a few hours of it

5 is way better

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

GTA 4 allowed you to increase the saturation.

That wasn’t really my problem with it tbqh

More of the driving and pacing and Liberty City being claustrophobic and uninteresting after San Andreas

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Der Kyhe posted:

...And Franklin as a character was clonestamped "JC from GTA:SA, but only moderately successful". He moves from the slums to the BoJack Horseman-style clifftop house at one point of the story but this, in no way or form, affects anything about him.

jeez when he smokes weed the voices in his head are a lot more cheerful

it's like you never played it

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sid Vicious posted:

What's the matter you guys don't want such masterpieces as Pantsu Hunter and Waifu Adjective on your switch?

I’ll wait for the port of Mr Moskeeto thanks

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Earwicker posted:

i dont know how unpopular this opinion is but i have not enjoyed a wolfenstein game since the 2001 reboot, which i liked a lot. especially the current crop like from new order onward i just find kind of boring and uninspired

Yeah the PS2 game was great. I have the two newer ones but they just haven't been as compelling. Fewer robot dogs and less squad combat might help idk.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Icochet posted:

We should declare Year Zero on video game names. There have been to many and now they're confusing and stupid

Oh you mean names like DooM and idk X-Com or Hitman? Welcome to last decade I guess.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Shibawanko posted:

the queen of arcade games is asterix by konami, none of this simpsons tmnt american crap

Yeah I think you made the point we didn’t get that here

Shame on us for not remembering a game about drunken Frenchmen

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Shibawanko posted:

i mean just play some motherfucking kung fu for nes. just play it right now, kick and punch some people in the face and tell me that that's not a great timeless game

It was good but I wanted it to be Yi Ar Kung Fu so badly and it was just. not. that

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I did not care for Dishonored judging me for how sloppily I finished

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Quote-Unquote posted:

X wing is better than tie fighter because I don't want to play as space nazis

So you support the terrorists

I played Tie Fighter first and just felt it was the more polished of the two. X-Wing felt like a step down but maybe it was the music and uh regalia that I missed :ohdear:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Mods are the most pointless thing to me, a friend of mine got really into Skyrim and crammed it with mods, realistic weather, high quality textures, things to improve inventory management and at the end of the day he still had to play Skyrim, he put like 200 hours into it though so he obviously had his fun.

I think the only mod I've used on a game in the past 20 years has been to show you what the items do in Binding of Isaac before you pick them up. It was neat but it should have been in the game in the first place.

I played vanilla Skyrim SE without even the basic unofficial patch (do not recommend) all the way through and it was fine :tif:

Then I spent hours tricking out all of that stuff you said, got it running smooth and looking pretty and played maybe 10 hours total between checking mods.

Didn’t even find the stable with the normal looking horses before quitting. Although it was cool that you can install expansion mods and the locations were left for you to find organically I guess.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Not to sound like a first world rear end in a top hat but a PS4, a moderate tier desktop pc and a 65" tv (they are insanely cheap, it's obscene compared to what I payed for a crt tv in college) is not a lot of money relative to anything. If your hobbies include a lot of sedentary poo poo. :ninja:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, my 65" TV was a Costco special and my computer is a decade old i7-2600k. I just keep slapping new video cards into it and it works with literally every PC game ever made. 200 frames per second in Doom 2016 with a 1070 GTX Ti in my ancient system is absolutely astonishing.

I guess THATS the real appeal of PC gaming; just keep throwing a new video card into an old computer and you are good to go.

Whoa Costco

Look at mr moneybags

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

3D Megadoodoo posted:

An IBM mainframe is a PC, as it has an OS and mass memory.

A casio calculator has an M+ button which makes it a computer in that it can store process and regurgitate data

The celeron your dad uses just swallows

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

cargohills posted:

You can't buy an SR-71 Blackbird or F-35 either, but they're still in media for a reason.

Really?

dorkapedia posted:

In November 2017, Saudi Arabia again expressed interest in the F-35, following a similar expression from the United Arab Emirates a few days prior.[362][363]

The potential sale of F-35 aircraft drew criticism with regards to maintaining Israel's qualitative military edge, a policy enshrined in U.S. law, as well as concerns regarding Human rights violations during the Yemeni Civil War and Saudi Arabia's role therein. Additionally, concerns have been raised that procurement of the F-35 could spark a regional arms race.[364][365]

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

cargohills posted:

Are you the Saudi Arabian government?

As far as you know, yes.

Also a porpoise.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Because being deliberately obtuse is like, at least 20 percent of talking to strangers on the internet.

This is 100% true

I don't like listening to that former mod's opinions about music in video games because it reminds me i have music from them uh on my phone

And I know things about D8's cats gosh

But we must be coy

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Badactura posted:

I've always imagined that the Far Cry games 3 and onwards are like, how the kind of people who become sexpats percieve the world.

I've only played Far Cry 5 and the sequel

which made me think of FFX and FFX2 because naming conventions don't exist

But I didn't feel like a sex tourist in FC5.

Actually the appeal of it was that these horrible bigots were going to get what's coming to them and FC5^2 sort of reversed that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Dewgy posted:

They weren’t so much correct in their actions as much as they were correct about the world of the Far Cry series being so hosed that nuclear annihilation was inevitable, which honestly makes a lot of sense given how FC3 and FC4 ended up going. I haven’t played New Dawn so maybe they went harder in the “Joseph Seed did nothing wrong” direction, but that was what I got out of it.

Yeah he's alive and well and a major plot point.

As a self-insert player he should not be alive. We should not have this conversation.