Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Companies / brands are not your friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

I was recently re-exposed to Metal Gear Solid dialog cutscenes and I realized Kojima can't write for poo poo, and I have no idea how he became such a beloved figure for his narrative prowess. Is it because he took "serious" topics and anime'd them?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

is pepsi ok posted:

I played the demo and it was unbelievably bad. It felt like someone's first Unity project.

Chomping some Splatoon flavor with those character proportions too, for good measure.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Vic posted:

That chat about videogame magic being boring and samey; I'm still thinking about how do you make magic interesting and new, not obtuse and annoying, and also be able to explain it in the worldbuilding.

All the ideas I come up with are poo poo because nobody really cares about magic.

Arx Fatalis has you combining runes you draw in realtime with the mouse to create spells and it's the best way to play that game. It's neat.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Playing RE for the story, smdhing my drat head over here

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

How did you enjoy RE7? I kinda burned out on it.

Probably going to by the sequel but I'm a chump like that

RE7 was great to play. Capcom seems to pull their head out of their asses every once in a blue moon (last time, it was RE4). The crafting elements were very light and I'm thankful for it, and what little was there I feel like it added to the survival part of the survival-horror genre.

But the story? It starts pretty solid, pretty spooky, and then Capcom can't help themselves and we start veering off into escape the room puzzles circa 2005 Newgrounds, before plunging back into the familiar abusive comforts of secret genetic research corporation labs / private mercenary armies with anime powers. It's campy and it's dumb, but it's the RE we love.

e: :synpa:

Armitag3 fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 7, 2021

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Caesar Saladin posted:

once you get far enough in doom eternal you can complain about the marauder like all the unskilled babies all over the internet

It's an honor, Mr ZeroMaster sir

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Huh, so Konami smashed sales and is the #1 third party publisher with its flagship game *checks notes*... Japanese Monopoly?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

RHETORIC [Challenging: Failure] -
To be clear I have no desire to see combat in DE. Fans/ reviews/marketing make it look like there is all of this entertaining stat/build based reaction stuff going on and it's not actually a major part of the game. It's mostly a novelty that happens once in a blue moon and almost everything is conveyed in conversations that ultimately lead to the same place.

I'd probably take less issue with it if people talked about it like the point and click game it is, instead of it being some bold reinvention of the RPG, when I can go play something like DOS2 with gameplay systems that are way more engaging. It's a good story game, and that's fine, but so many people talk about it like it's some next level RPG and it's very much not.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

S-someone is... wrong on the internet... must... must try to not lose... c-control...

OH NOOOOOOOO

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

itry posted:

The biggest problem with Soma was the gameplay, specifically the 'stand in the corner and don't look at it' monster. The dense protagonist was the second problem. But saying it wasn't philosophical in any way is kinda disingenuous. I guess the mystery is why and how did their world end, and what put all the people in those robots. At least until they outright tell you (also it wasn't them doing it).

SOMA can be played with the monsters off, removing any possible obstacle to playing this incredible game.

Snipe: RDR2 is the western Shenmue.

Armitag3 fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 23, 2021

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

itry posted:

RDR2 gave you horse balls and skinning of animals in 4k.

GOTY

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

They also tried riding on the coattails of Dwarf Fortress-likes when they got popular and vaporware'd a steam (hah) space management game out. Their track record is a bit shaky.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

The ones on game boy and game boy advance were real good

*taps the thread title*

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Prey had the loving worst endings in history. Game itself was pretty baller.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

More like a fine mist of poo on top of an otherwise delicious tiramisu.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

flavor.flv posted:

I played Prey up until the whole bar gets sucked up into the sky by the ufo while don't fear the reaper plays on the jukebox and I thought that was pretty neat

Oh youuu

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

"You can't be serious? The whole Council?!"

"YES THEY DESERVE TO DIE, AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!"

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

The mousewheel is almost always useless for actual play, barring zooming in and out on some map screen. The only good instance of good mousewheel binding that I can remember off the top of my head is in Hitman 2, where you use it to scroll what action you want to do on like a keyhole (Peek, open, cancel, etc). Now that was intuitive and fast.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think that dunking on game journalists far outweighs the actual substance of what he says. Game journalists are outdated relics that are desperately trying to cling on to relevance while considering themselves just as important as the games they are reviewing.

There's a place for game journos, and it is a real career - it's not 2005 anymore and game journalism isn't having an angry review channel on YouTube anymore. What makes them useless and deserving of scorn today though is how absolutely in the pocket of publishers they are.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Duck and Cover posted:

gently caress that just look at the screenshots on the back of the box.

The cover art and the title alone should sell you on it.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

He's the one piloting the ship.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

peter gabriel posted:

Did you get the pre order bonus Have The Game Sat In Your Steam Library Unplaced And Unloved like I did?

I wish I could change the Uncategorized section to "Languishing in Limbo".

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

"Stop reminding me how I keep getting stiffed by preordering or buying stuff at launch, it's so tiresome."

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

100 degrees Calcium posted:

This is my game of the year every year.

A man who doesn't eat pork bun is not a real man.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

The publishers loving over the sleeping dog devs by making them make some dumbass mobile game nobody wanted is a loving crime.

I was heartbroken when I found out what happened to the sleeping dogs name. It's Square Enix, aka we almost assassinated hitman ha ha isn't that ironic

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

tango alpha delta posted:

e:Doom 64 is the best Doom game, followed by Doom 2016.

You think I'm gonna let this slide? Nah nah, there are other people here.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

What about depth progression?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

spaceblancmange posted:

I played Control and it was ok.

I got it recently, still playing through it. I like it so far, it gets pretty creative even if the premise is wholesale SCP but written by adults maybe. What I don't like is the handholdy almost Other M little lines of internal monologue TELLing me what the game could be (and sometimes already is) SHOWing. Maybe that's a relevant plot point for later, I don't know.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

I fell off Control. I like the SCP themes and the brutalist office space but the main character is unlikeable and the story started to get predictable. Now I have nothing to play.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

I dunno, I didn't connect with her. She doesn't really have a personality besides where's my brother and the cuts to her inner monologue made me feel the game was condescendingly holding me by the hand like I couldn't follow a conversation between two characters. I got nasty Other M vibes.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I have not played every single Mario game but I have played most of them and Thousand Year Door is the absolute low point of the series

It's amazing how you can consistently have the worst takes in the bad takes thread. Kudos

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Serephina posted:

"Dongondolgogo doesn't like loud noises"

Wasn't this a remnant from the Famicom that had a microphone in the controller and it could pick up noise to kill a certain enemy?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

I have a creeping sense of dread I'm going to finish Cruelty Squad and not get what all the hubbub is

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

I suppose I've unconsciously dropped caring about plot in video games at some point in the past - because really they're all bland variations of the same story beats with different fantasy names - and I've come to realize that what I appreciate instead is the word building/setting. Oddworld is a favorite of mine not because of its story, or its gameplay (it's a competent platformer but nothing to fax home about), but because of the oddity in its design and its world.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure Birdo is dating Yoshi, they are Nintendo's genderqueer power couple

It's a big problem in JRPGs in particular where items are basically siloed off from the rest of the mechanics and often vague about what exactly they do. And usually barely worth it compared to just using your standard and special attacks- or so powerful that they go straight in the 'but what if I need it later' box and you get the near-universal experience of fighting the final boss with an inventory loaded with an entire game's worth of items.

RPGs in general have big issues with that, I think they expect players to experiment a lot more than any actually do, especially when you can generally get by just focusing on the core mechanics rather than mucking about with status effects (that all enemies they might be worth using on are immune to)

For a subversion of the above check out Lisa, a genuinely hard RPG that mechanically punishes hoarding. Content warning on the story, though, so watch out.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Snes shadowrun was for chumps

wtf you little bitch?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Barudak posted:

Turns out Surgeon Simulator being absolute dogshit to control and unoptimized garbage is not specific to console versions

Did you try turning OBS on and having a twitch channel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Sonic 3D: Flickies Island (aka Sonic 3D Blast in other territories) was the very first time I blast processed disappointment