Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
been playing lots of ffxiv and really like that they force u into group content to continue with the story cause im a baby and need to be forced like that and it's fun.

someone needs to make a fps mmo. so many fps games have good classes and so many fps games have satisfying rpg-lite mechanics. like it's all right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
I miss multiplayer fps games with tons of servers running different mods. Using Gamespy to scroll through Quake 2 servers and the master server or whatever it was called for TRIBES and being able to jump into different poo poo was a ton of fun back in the day. And how each mod had like its own internet community in the late 90s was cool as hell, IRC channels and forums were the good poo poo.

I had more fun on like 28.8k modem in the late 90s than I've had in almost any other recent fps game, multiplayer wise at least.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
I recently started playing Destiny 2 again before getting really bored and remembering why I stopped. I've never wanted to like a game so badly, but there are so many different little things that all work together to just gently caress it up. If someone made an actual first person shooter MMO, I don't think I'd play another game again. Class based first person shooters have always been awesome, the weapons factory mod in Quake 2 got me hooked on video games as a kid, and they've only evolved since. Merge something like Team Fortress and FF14 already geez, forget these looter shooters.

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 27, 2020

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
i would say it goes deeper than graphics and that back in the day the groundbreaking fps games were built on new engines so it felt like way more of a technological advancement and something new rather than the clones we get now on the same engines every year that essentially feel like reskins. then you pair the new tech with the people who'd create some awesome multiplayer mods and maps that went far and above whatever multiplayer the games shipped with and it's easy to see (and remember) how those games had such successful glory days.

like there's no way quake2 multiplayer makes a mark if not for the community

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 4, 2020

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
rts and fps are the only games that aren't better with a controller and there aren't many games i can play on pc that i can't on consoles to justify at least 2x the cost of a console

plus living room couch > sitting at a desk

plus never having to worry about hardware to play new games

pc used to be superior for user made poo poo like mods and maps but most devs have pretty much killed that.

so if ur really into starcraft or quake it makes sense, but gaming pcs are dinosaurs otherwise (including ur twitch career)

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 5, 2020

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

food court bailiff posted:

honestly no idea how the hype train got so insane around this one game though, even factoring in that the witcher 3 is genuinely fantastic

I thought Witcher 3 was boring, had janky movement, and unsatisfying combat. But a FPS/RPG that doesn't brand itself as a live-service looter-shooter is extremely worth getting excited about imo.

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 8, 2020

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

peter gabriel posted:

I've pre ordered Cyberpunk but I am so loving slow at games by the time I am 2% done with it they will have fixed all the bugs and it'll be £5 on sale, so ups and downs for me really. A real emotional roller coaster.

i will probably play like 50 hours the first couple weeks but my furthest character will be like 6 hours deep cause i keep restarting to try different character builds and poo poo cause i always do that in rpgs and then ill get bored since ive only played the same beginning stuff over and over

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
ff14 is like the only game ive played since i downloaded it in may and it's old as hell. this year has sucked. terrible year to be pushing new consoles.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
so what's the deal with customizing your genitals

like who wants that

in ff14 they have a bust size slider and i was able to tell my daughter it meant "shirt size," but that's a third person mmo and almost everyone makes their character an anime waifu so as much as i was initially weirded out and think it's unnecessary, i kinda get it in regards to their target market

but what does genital customizing do in a first person single player game

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
why is their character customization at all in single players games anyway lol. who gives a poo poo if no one is ever gonna see you.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

quote:

Circumcised and uncircumcised penis, or a vagina
Options for penis length
5 pubic hair styles for both genders
5 pubic hair colours
lol

btw if u dont go for the smallest-wang,biggest-bush combo u are def and obv over-compensating

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
the biggest problem i have with planetside 2 is that none of the weapons are fun to use

but i appreciate how, in turn, none of guns are worth buying for the people who would want to pay to win.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
im like 5 pages behind it being mentioned as good, but outer worlds is boring as poo poo and only was received as well as it was because it was released 1 year after fallout 76, almost exactly to the day, and people couldn't wait to show bethesda that obsidian makes better fallout games. they do...but the game still sucked. that poo poo was like playing a tech demo.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

lurker2006 posted:

This is unpopular videogame opinions.

lol at its 9/10 on steam

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Ff14 is the only final fantasy I’ve played and the story is the worst part. Thankfully most The cutscenes are skippable. I can’t imagine playing a single player game lol.

Like if I wanted to watch a movie or read a book I’d watch a movie or read a book. I’m playing video games cause I wanna press buttons

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
the first planet in Outer Worlds is the best part of the game, by a mile too, while the end of the game is the worst part. So it really hits people that play like 4-5 hours and review it, which is probably most reviewing sites since they're all racing each other to get the review out. I'm really surprised we don't see more games that stack it all up front like that. Like check out this one weird trick to hit your metacritic bonus.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
i cant imagine it aged that well but new vegas is cowboy skyrim with guns so it was good dummies

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Dark Souls 3 is the best single player game of all time. And while that’s not a hot take, I think the difficulty of souls games is way over stated. It was the first one I ever played and the first time I played it I didn’t know what the gently caress I was doing, but was fine mr magoo-ing my way through game just by holding l1 to block everything lol

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
came into the ps4 era hyped about games that i thought id be playing for 10 years like destiny, or sprawling rpgs that would be time sinks of hundreds of hours. leaving ps4 era thinking fall guys was the best game. lol i dunno what happened, but somehow they ruined video games guys.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
I never played wow but I’ve played the poo poo outta ff14 on the ps4 and it’s really fun. I’m surprised there aren’t more
mmos on consoles since they fit a controller pretty well. Cross play between pc and ps4 is really cool too and you don’t have to worry about competitive dis/advantages like you would in a shooter or something more pvp focused

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Destiny games were pretty decent and some of the vitriol on these forums for them is unwarranted

Destiny does the basics really, really well. So well that it is extremely frustrating when they make decisions that seemingly sabotage their game like deleting half the game and getting rid of gear for no other reason than to have you grind again cause the new gear is the exact same.

I'd say Destiny is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played because all of the bad things about it were actual dev choices. It's not like other games that might be bad cause of incompetence, like the people who run Destiny just make terrible decisions. That makes it more frustrating than your typical bad game, cause it always feels so close to being good!

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Cuphead was kinda good at first, but my problem with it is that I don't really see a reason to keep beating my head against a wall. For some reason it gets compared to dark souls a lot, I guess cause they're both hard, but the thing with dark souls and games like that is after beating a boss you get to progress in the story and get the next environment to explore and that's its own reward. i dont get that in cuphead. feels just like a bragging rights game.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
can we retire the "hard, but fair" cliche attached to souls games and other difficult games. DS3 is my favorite single player game of all time and when I die, 90% of the time it's due to jank like enemies attacking me through walls. That poo poo's not fair lol. It's probably the most unfair game I've ever played. Still played through it like 10 times though.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
why did consoles release next gen platforms if there aren't any games to make you wanna get one. the only reason i can kinda see is to outsell the competitor since a lot of people just buy one console per generation, but if that's the case then why are they like impossible to find. seems weird.

i guess im stupid, but it seems like letting everyone buy your product who wants to buy it would be a good thing for business? ive read that consoles are generally sold at a loss, but surely guaranteed customers for the next 5-6 years buying poo poo on your digital storefronts would make up for it? and if your competitor isnt doing it, it seems like being the one to move units would be a no brainer

maybe im misremembering but didn't xbox have to play catchup for like the entire console generation after ps4 sold so well so fast?

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 27, 2021

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Earwicker posted:

platform vs platform poo poo is the most boring subject in all of video game discourse

are there any mmo's that are actually good games that are actually roleplaying based and, more importantly, that are fun to play right from the getgo instead of being loot-centric grindfests?

i like exploring virtual worlds and the idea of exploring a world full of human players instead of npc's sounds theoretically appealing but nearly every one ive tried feels more like some kind of weird mturk/ebay for virtual objects with a light sheen of a game thrown over it

ff14 is basically a single player game that teams you up with other players during parts of the story for dungeons and boss fights. Just recognize that the optional quests are...well, optional cause trying to do them all would be a bore. (the optional quests have a different symbol than the main story quests)

and human players are everywhere if you like the populated city vibe of mmos

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 27, 2021

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Why do games like XCom2 and Wasteland 2/3 run like such poo poo on PS4? Are turn based games really intensive? Or is it the devs releasing lovely ports?

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

JollyBoyJohn posted:

people who play online games with chat totally disabled are absolute psychos, its part of the interaction with real human players both positive and negative, if you don't like it why don't you just go play with bots lol

congrats on the worst take in the entire thread

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
mario run is a fun mobile game imo, I'm just not into mobile games for the most part cause it isn't worth the battery drain, but whatever--I can see why people would like them. It's not like im more productive refreshing google news all the time or reading nfl articles on my phone

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 28, 2021

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Rutibex posted:

"real time" and "strategy" are at odds with each other on a conceptual level. the best real-time 1v1 video game is a fighting game, and the best strategy game is turn based. a real time strategy game is just a really lovely fighting game

wtf are you on about man. yeah starcraft is just a really lovely street fighter???

this is unpopular opinions not loving braindead rear end in a top hat opinions, rear end in a top hat

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Diablo 3 is a fun couch co op game, but I really don’t see how ppl can play it solo. You either steam roll everything or up the difficulty to the point where you can’t kill anything without some super optimized build found online that’s totally dependent on rng loot drops. And either of those options aren’t very fun.

I fell into Dark Souls 3 again. It’s the best single player game of all time. The exploration, the atmosphere, and the combat are just done so well. And it feels totally different depending on your build. And it even feels different based on the weapon you use, so even if you do a build you’ve already done before, using a different weapon can change it too.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Starting RPGs and rerolling new characters is always the best part of them because it's fun to not be good at everything and to have to try to play efficiently. There need to be more RPGs where you just kinda suck and are fragile throughout the whole game and not just for like the first couple of hours.

Also gently caress games forever that do the whole Bethesda thing of eventually being a god in every skill. Gimme limits, make me have to be creative

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Play posted:

I prefer subs on literally everything and always will, dubs just don't really do it. I usually get subititles for all my English movies too, makes it easier to follow along especially if you're a bit distracted. Some English movies I have real trouble understanding due to the accents especially if they are foreign variants.

Also Western studios probably comprise 75% of all games that are made, I don't think pointing to a few games released in the past five years that were decent actually means anything

Old man yells at cloud moment, but: I'm annoyed a lot of movies have the habit of like whisper level dialogue combined with speaker blowing special effects and music. I don't wanna play with the remote the entire movie or annoy my apartment neighbors, and I don't really wanna wear headphones all the time.

and for video games it's just easier to remember poo poo that you read rather than only heard cause i don't really care for cutscenes and video game dialogue, i just wanna be able to catch something that might be important.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Just played dark souls 3 again and it’s still the best single player game of all time. No worries, you don’t need to think about games that might be good or whatever. . This is the best one. I got invaded 4 times during the entire play through while playing solo so that’s all the evidence I need the game is alive and well. You’re welcome again. 3-1 one guy got me. He had a crossbow on his left hand and looked like a dragon. I think he was a professional player.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Dark souls 3 combat is really for the intelligent players. I use a big weapon with two hands and usually press r1. But sometimes I press r2. Sometimes I even press l2 and then r2 but I usually forget about that move. I can understand why that’s hard but it is still worth it if you want to be an intelligent player.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
I downloaded the outriders demo but haven’t played it yet. I just want it not to suck.

Destiny 2 doesn’t respect your time. Borderlands 3 matchmaking has pretty much never worked and there’s no real end game content. Division 2 doesn’t do anything for me cause cosplaying a backwater Trumper is lame. 99% of Warframe and Diablo 3 content is so easy it’s boring. Anthem was dead on arrival, but officially died a couple days ago for good measure.

Like the door is wide open for this kinda game if it’s good. And it’s apparently cross play so that’s cool I don’t gotta worry about the ps4 player base dying when ps5s are easier to get.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Outriders is okay. It’s kind of like the division games where getting an enemy up close is really loving weird and just kind of an awful experience. The depth perception is all sorts of hosed for that close range poo poo. The combat definitely works best at medium range—when you’re not getting rushed with enemies who force you into that awkward close up jankiness. It’s too bad they seem really incessant on throwing enemies who rush you at you!

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Caesar Saladin posted:

I had a bunch of fun playing the demo with my brothers. I know its kind of a dumb thing but the way enemies completely explode into chunks of gore is something I really enjoyed.

playing with other people sounds like it'd make it better. I know I only played Warframe an absurd amount because I would play with my brother. I was hoping to get a feel for all the classes and kinda know what I'm doing before I tried matchmaking (if it works). I read someone complaining on reddit that people can vote kick before chests so no one else gets loot--is that true? I imagine it's not an issue playing with people you know, but if it's that easy to troll randoms you know a lot of people are going to be doing it.

Gibbing enemies is cool, but I'm not a fan of the close quarters combat in this game. I'd much rather play an fps if I wanted to run around shotgunning enemy hordes and warframe's melee weapons do a pretty good job at solving the whole fighting-enemies-up-close-with-guns-and-a-third-person-camera-is-awkward thing.

Despite all the hate the cover system gets, I think the areas in the demo that are my favorite are medium ranged fights with cover without a ton of rushing enemies. I just feel clunky in the game so far when I need to react quickly to an enemy/enemies running up in my poo poo. I'm sure practice will help, but I'm not sure if I'll ever find it that enjoyable compared to other games.

It's not really a surprise that the classes that have the best tools to deal with close range enemies like the trickster and tank seem like they are far more popular than pyro and technomancer based on what I've read from other people's experiences.

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 28, 2021

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Dark souls 3 is the best single player game of all time. Pick a weapon and use it. It’s so loving impressive how they made different weapons do different poo poo from each other. Even if you have same build stat wise as someone, using a different weapon will vastly change how you play the game.

Pvp isn’t bad, don’t level past about level 125 if you wanna play with or against people.

If you play just the vanilla game first you’ll be about level 90 at the final boss so you don’t even have to be worry about it

IMO summoning only sucks if you beat down on a boss without even learning the mechanics. But that goes away at higher levels and with dlc bosses. Even if you summon players you’ll need some knowledge or the mechanics to stay alive.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
downloaded control from ps plus last month and got around to starting it a couple of days ago. It's really awesome. My only criticism so far is that the display options are weird. It's either super or dark or really washed out. Even on the brightness setting it says I should see 3 symbols? I've only ever seen 2 despite how bright I make it. I was playing on the default brightness and couldn't understand why I was dying to that fridge boss that just looked like an eyeball to me. I turned to the brightness up to 100 and was like oh, he has arms! I couldn't even see them on the default setting. Now I got that sorted but the game looks way worse than it did before lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
longtime starcraft watcher (tm) and i like tasteless and artosis. waiting for the gsl to start i decided to check out valorant since they're casting the korean matches together and drat that poo poo is boring. maybe cause unlike starcraft i haven't played it, but i dunno. way too many smoke bombs or other visual garbage and constant swapping of camera angles where i barely have enough time to realize what team im speccing before i get swapped to the other. ugh.