Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Nintendo makes the best sports games and I bought a switch years ago hoping for a new golf or baseball game but got nothing. I'm just playing Super Tennis and the NES baseball.

Also Stalker is the best FPS ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I don't know how unpopular this opinion is, but I think Disco Elysium is the best isometric RPG ever made, and I've been super into that genre since Baldur's Gate 1. The writing is really good (just "really good." No videogame has ever had "incredible" writing.) and the different paths you can take your character really change things up a lot. The fact that there isn't any combat was an appropriate decision. Like, Planescape: Torment is generally considered to be an isometric RPG with good writing, but every time I had to go into a dungeon to kill things it was a slog.

Other than that, I think Jeff Vogel's isometric RPGs are right below it. The Geneforge games are great with actually fun combat, and I can say the same for Nethergate. I'm really into ancient Rome so Nethergate hits a sweet spot for me. I haven't played much of the Avernum series yet.

Obsidian is generally over rated, even in their glory days. They're good, but there are better iso RPGs out there.

Here's my isometric RPG ratings

1. Disco Elysium
2. Geneforge series
3. Baldurs Gate 2
4. Planescape: Torment
5. Fallout 2

I don't like the Divinity series, and I don't know why.

I dunno, just looking to talk isometric RPGs.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I liked Disco Elysium a lot but also thought it was super overrated. The level of hype people had for it, you’d think it was delivered to your hard drive by a chorus of angels. Not to mention a bunch of goons deciding that this good game not having a combat system=no RPG needs a combat system was pretty :rolleyes:. It’s a great game, but holy hell that hype train was insane.

That's fair to say, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it since the first week it came out and the hype died really quick. I've played it as a sadbrains schizo drunk commie (me irl) and as an aggressive jacked up methhead fascist supercop prick and it was a totally different game both times. And both times you end up as a complex and well developed character with interesting relationships between yourself and the people you run into. It's a game worth playing more than once. When you know the general path of things it doesn't take long on a second playthrough but it's just as interesting. Worth noting again that I think the writing is "very good" and no videogame has ever had amazing, incredible writing.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

Fallout 2 might have the worst combat of any of the isometric rpgs. It takes forever for anything to happen, and for the first third of the game its like five dumb bandits shooting and missing and it takes like 4 minutes for them all to finish.

All turn based isometric rpgs should try to have the AI turns go by as quickly as possible while still being legible. Divinity Original Sin 2 is even still pretty slow.

Fallout 2 is on my list mostly because you can shoot people in the balls

and you can gently caress that mob boss' wife and then shoot the boss in the balls

Shooting everyone in the balls makes it a lot of fun

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The No One Lives Forever games have the best single player FPS campaign.

Is there anywhere to get these games on PC?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Empire: Total War is one of the better Total War games. Medieval 2 is still the best. I don't know why they got rid of agents.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

I really haven't liked any of them since Shogun 2, but everything before that is really great. It keeps getting more dumbed down and streamlined. I hate the hero mechanic a lot. Can we please keep XP and leveling up out of strategy games? Pretty loving please?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

poverty goat posted:

If you remove everything related to the main storyline in fallout 4, you're left with a functional open world bethesda game full of dumb bullshit in scenic locations running the full gamut of bethesda off-storyline content, which at its best is always better than the main plot. If you perform the same surgery on the bad storyline of the outer worlds you're left with an empty game world with no NPCs and nothing to do. Fallout 4 wins, easily, because it's borderline salvagable like any other bethesda game

Fallout 4 was probably the first Bethesda game that wasn't salvagable at all. I know everyone hates Bethesda games now, but not even mods could save Fallout 4. I wasn't even 10 hours in before I realized that all the quests were "go to this buiilding, clear it, come back" without any stakes or worldbuilding whatsoever. The only thing that was fun about it was having the pip boy menu on my ipad while I played.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Khanstant posted:

I think I only beat Fallout 4 because the game was the exact perfect blend of mindless and endless to listen to hours and hours of podcasts. I listened to like several years of Radiolabs, a bunch of old 1940-50s fiction podcasts, and plenty else.

That's what Jeff Vogel and John Van Caneghem games are for.

yeah that's right I just dropped 2 dork as gently caress game designer names that haven't been relevant in years

The big difference is that their games are good and fun

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How is Caneghem not relevant right RN now? If you started playing Might & Magic when it came out in 1986, you're right now about half-way through World of Xeen :confused:

I think I got pretty far into World of Xeen but it was probably only about 1/4 in. 1 and 2 are just too old for me and this is coming from a guy who loves Darklands.

by the way Darklands has the best character creation system of all time

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

jeff vogel released a well regarded game in a new series last year and had an extremely successful kickstarter to remaster the geneforge series earlier this year

That is awesome news about geneforge and I'm happy to hear it.

Now for a World of Xeen remaster.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Happy Hedonist posted:

Konami was the best developer of video games.

I don't agree, but it's a valid statement. you can't emphasize "was" enough though.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Nintendo is clearly #1.
Jon Van Caneghem is #2.

fixed that for ya

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

You're trying to name the best sports game ever, you've got as far as narrowing it down to the Mega Drive, but you haven't remembered that it's Road Rash 2? Losers.

gotta get Viper's chain and just swing it around your head the whole time

I think all the best sports games were on NES

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Remember back in the Genesis/SNES times how there were a bunch of weird baseball games? I just want Mario Baseball

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Khanstant posted:

There just needs to be a Kaizo-tier Dark Souls game. Dark Souls isn't so bad if you're already comfortable dealing with a character in 3D space and are reactive to telegraphs, and increasing HP/damage from bosses doesn't make them functionally much harder since all can be beaten "flawlessy" even with a naked character.

Can y'all think of any harder mainstream game? For the most part I think most developers have something they're more interested than "difficulty," especially ones trying to make products with broad appeal.

Ninja Gaiden on Xbox was ridiculous.

I think the Monster Hunter games are harder than Dark Souls. I havent played World but I had a really hard time with the older ones.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

detective pikachu and the sonic movie are works of art compared to the lovely video game movies I grew up with as a kid. I saw super mario bros in a real life movie theater as a young child with my dad and he's been bitching about seeing that movie with me for the last 27 years. I grew up in the 90's and sat through the mask and ace ventura and liar liar etc. - when I saw the original sonic movie trailer before the character redesign, I was expecting literally the worst movie in the history of movies. It's actually probably top five video game movies of all time (which again, isn't saying much.)

my dad told me that the worst moment raising kids was when he brought me and my friends to see the Pokemon movie for my birthday and he still considers it the worst movie he's ever seen

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

*knocks on your front door at 9am*

excuse me but have you heard about our lord and savior Jon Van Caneghem? *tries to hand you a CD copy of World of Xeen*

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

GTA games at core aren't good games

I know this is the "unpopular game opinions" thread but I feel like that is a goddamn ridiculous thing to say. What makes the GTA games bad, especially considering each one's time of release? Controls are tight and responsive, characters are interesting and fun, missions are varied, small details everywhere with a huge and detailed world (hundreds of different cars, each pedestrian looks different, tons of idle ambient dialogue, play in the land sea or air, lots of different guns with different feels, various landcsapes throughout the gigantic maps, I could go on). Like, even if it's not your thing I just don't get how you can say the GTA games are bad.

This is coming from a guy who likes stupid old nerd games like Darklands and Wizardry.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The actual missions in GTA are generally terrible, and even the worst Saint's Row game is better than the best GTA game, which usurped what GTA was originally going for tonally while the GTA writers consistently try to punch above their weight.

GTA 4 is just loving rancid as far as driving mechanics and gameplay that's completely at odds with the immigrant crime story they wanted to tell. The whole dating thing is what the gently caress ever, I could be doing taxes or at the dentist right now instead of this poo poo.

Their online components are basically Hacker's Delight.

They build really expansive, detailed worlds that push the boundaries of what you can do in a game, it's a shame about the actual game.

As a person who plays a lot of RDR2 online, basically the only thing keeping me on it is that I play it with a group. Other than that it's absolutely not worth the trouble and lately the online barely works, with massive connectivity issues and countless bugs. And the controls are, if we're being honest, dog poo poo.

Having a world-class art design is not that important next to nailing fundamentals, which Rockstar consistently fails at.

Alright, I will grant you that GTA4 had a lot of squandered potential. And I have noticed that Rockstar likes to do this thing where they take a person with a hosed up past, like Nico Bellic or Arthur Morgan or Michael Townley and try to give them this redemption story that is incorrigible with the gameplay of shooting a lot of more or less innocent people in the face. GTA4 is a weak link in the series, but I still don't think it's bad. They could have done a lot more with Nico, but I still like the dynamic between him and Packie and Kate. The actual dates and phone calls from your loser cousin aren't great, but you can just ignore them. Just like real life!

And maybe our opinions differ because I don't play online. I deal with the public all day at my job. When I come home at 6 and make dinner and do the chores and spend time with my girl, I am not about to deal with people anymore. But as far as GTA5 goes, I can't find much wrong. Michael and Trevor are both pieces of poo poo in different ways, and I think they made their paths come back together in a pretty elegant way. poo poo, Trevor is a sexually deviant, violent, drug abusing evil gently caress and I like him anyway. That's not easy to do, especially with a guy named Trevor. Franklin is alright, just got caught up in some poo poo and was good at it. I don't really think the writers are trying to overdo it, with the exception of Nico in GTA4. There's some camp, and it's a bit silly, but at the end all the characters end up being people that you generally like.

RDR2 has bad controls, but there are a lot of things about it that are good enough to make me get over it. I played Gothic for fucks sake and think it's one of the greatest games but it has the worst controls of all time.

I guess I'm saying that their art design is so good that the fundamentals seem poor in comparison, but they really aren't worse than many games I can think of. I don't really care if it takes me an hour or two to get used to the controls if I can do a ton of poo poo once I get used to them. I like to get lost in worlds when I play games. If I wanted super tight controls and fundamentals I guess I'd just keep playing Super Mario 3 and Ninja Gaiden forever.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Borderlands games are the only games that I don't play because even though I actually like the gameplay, the writing and humor and characters are just so awful that I can't do it.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Its easy to claim that any game is just clicking on things. I think there are a lot of really good games out there that just might not be for you in particular. I know that I rarely like JRPGs but I cant say that Dragon Quest games are bad. They're just not my kind of game and the whole formula isnt fun to me. I don't like many FPS games, but that doesn't mean that the 2016 Doom is bad. Its just that FPS games feel like clicking on things to me. Meanwhile I'll play just about any grand strategy or isometric RPG and have a fine time unless the mechanics are totally hosed. Like if you hate Elder Scrolls, and Fallout, and Witcher 3 then maybe the whole open world ARPG just isnt your thing.

Point being that people are really critical of games that fall in genres that just aren't their thing as a whole

Edit: all that being said, Monster Hunter should totally be my kind of thing but I dont like it because the way the monsters are just animals living in their habitat, and the way they yell and thrash in lain and limp about when you beat them up is really hosed up and not fun at all to me.

WILDTURKEY101 fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 4, 2020

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If there is any game series I have minimal experience with that I can feel comfortable calling bad its the one where the most ardent defenders passionate response is "yeah but its comfort food"

Can we also do away with "charming" as a descriptor of games? Like, what the gently caress is that even supposed to mean?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

playing on the easiest difficulty is more fun than hard difficulties for a lot of games

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

If I'm being honest, I don't like the idea of a wargame only being about the fun and honorable parts of WWII and would be completely OK with a portion of that fun being ruined for others by reminders of the war crimes, genocide, and massive amounts of civilian deaths that their selected faction participated in. I don't demand it, I'm not responsible for figuring out how you would integrate it, but I'd be OK with it.

Civilian casualties could definitely be a thing. When you kill civilians, that countries war fervor or something which increases fighting strength per unit could go up. Keep killing a lot them though and it starts to go back down, but you become more targeted for attacks and your alliances become weaker. Cheaper bombs kill more civilians. Or maybe an expensive bomb kills a ton of them and weakens their morale. It's up to you! Fun fun.

A good portion of your population could be against immigrants from the country you're fighting against. If you do nothing unrest increases, but if you imprison that population unrest goes down, but war fervor in the opposing country goes up and it costs resources.

You could have powerful units that are great fighters but also commit atrocities. Resources have to be put towards covering up their crimes.

It's a super hosed up mechanic, but I can see how it could work

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Rutibex posted:

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate goes on sale for the Switch like every other week. i don't know if its a good one compared to other monster hunting games as its the only one i have tried

It feels old. Jumbled as hell inventory, clunky controls. It's also really hard.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Sid Vicious posted:

oh my god an Etrian Odyssey collection would steal all of my time

I think I played 4 on the DS and it took me like 2 years to beat but it was really fuckin good.

I love grid based, first person, party dungeon crawlers like World of Xeen and Phantasy Star 1. Then around the time isometric RPGs came out that whole genre died. I actually played a decent one on my phone that's just called The Quest. I thought the genre totally died a long time ago, but it looks like there is a lot of Japanese stuff in that genre in more recent times. Is that fair to say? Are there any games on switch on PC like Etrian Odyssey? Like an anime weeby Might and magic?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

The Stanley Parable will make you question what you are doing with your life and is therefore the most emotionally powerful game ever made.

Every videogame i play makes me question what I'm doing with my life

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

bubble bobble is good but when i play it im afraid that the music will get stuck in my head forever and drive me insane

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

the best 2p beat em up on NES was river city ransom by such an insanely huge margin nothing else can really compare

No doubt. Talk about a game that holds up. Now that I think about it, it has a lot in common with Yakuza. As much as a game that old can have.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

The only reason I won't go for religious victory in Civ6 is because it hurts my eyes after 20 minutes looking at the fuckin colors

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

quake 1 is better than doom 1

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

forgot about that one, havent played it though but it does look very ugly in gameplay videos, i guess the game itself might be alright

you post here a lot, and you know a lot about videogames, and you have good opinions even if I don't always agree so I wanna know - whats your favorite game?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The only video game speedruns I've ever really enjoyed watching are Mario games

I like the cowboy guy who does NES games. I think his name is Arcus.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There's a modern sword-and-sorcery type adventure game where the speed-run technique is to just run down a hill and meet some guy you're supposed to meet much later, and bing bong you're done, and I can't remember what it was :(

Maybe you have to kill the dude too it was years ago I saw it.

Two Worlds, and it's a terrible game in the best way

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

I remember the line "Looks like my in-laws!" when fighting.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

it absolutely is and that’s the best thing about it. It’s like if Gothic II had a severe concussion. I love poo poo like that or EYE, where it’s janky but ambitious and just weird. It’s a shame Two Worlds II leaned into the “so bad it’s good” thing and lost the authenticity of it, it’s like going from a Troma movie to Sharknado.

Is EYE the most poorly translated thing ever or does it actually make no sense?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Ocean Book posted:

What is this outworld game with the cool magic? I tried googling and all I’m getting is mortal kombat and ‘outward’. Please send help

They are definitely talking about Outward. It fits the description. The Co-op is really fun, and I think the game is balanced around co-op.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

There are some STALKER total conversion mods that are legit better than 99% of games out there.

But STALKER is already the best FPS ever made so there was a good base to work with.

I think I've posted about this game before here but im postin again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

unpopular opinion: I like all the FarCry games