Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
In my opinion the English version of Shenmue II should have been released on Dreamcast. Yeah, Sega was in dire straights or whatever at the time, but they did the difficult and expensive work to translate it for the Xbox. Is there any reason they couldn't have done a limited release by mail order so fans wouldn't have to buy a new console to play the second? And even if you did, you couldn't transfer the end game data from the first.

It's completely ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Sunswipe posted:

I'm guessing Sega looked at how many people both owned a Dreamcast and would buy Shenmue II, then decided that guy would just have to suck it up and buy an Xbox.

As a matter of fact I didn't, but only because of the save transfer issue

As for Fallout 3, on the pc it was a buggy piece of poo poo that crashed all the time, and they waited like 3 months or however long to release the modding tools because they wanted people to experience the game as it was intended (bad). I really didn't like that the city was divided into sections separated by unskippable sewer levels

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Manager Hoyden posted:

My favorite part of Fallout 3 was the ending where you had to sacrifice yourself by walking into a super irradiated chamber and pressing a button. You have had two companions who are immune to radiation for most of the game who could trivially do it for you, but nope you gotta kill yourself.

Later on they patched it so you could ask a radiation-immune character to do it for you but they were huge babies about it. They made everyone call you a coward for not killing yourself.

I was glad to walk into the radiation as a symbolic end to my interest in the Fallout series.

Still though, out of all the things they screwed up and got wrong, the worst part of Fallout 3 was trying to use the janky rear end gamebryo engine in a shooter type game

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Chrono Cross on it's own merits is even better than Chrono Trigger, but there's so little connection to the first that there was no point in pissing off all the fans to make it a sequel. Jrpgs in general were better on the PSX than they were on the SNES, and didn't get bloated and overdone until the PS2 era.

Radical Dreamers was a fun if you like text adventures.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Shibawanko posted:

they were way, way better on the snes

This might be a perspective thing because i had a PSX first and went back to play the SNES classics afterwards, but unless there's a bunch more on SNES even better than Chrono Trigger and FF4-6 I'm going to have to disagree

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I had to look them up, but it seems like more than one lol

Wikipedia posted:

"Magil: Caught Between Love and Adventure" – Magil is actually a lifelong friend of Riddel who courts her. When the manor is alerted to his presence, Magil throws Riddel over his shoulder and dashes off into the morning sun as her proud father Lynx tearily bids goodbye.[21]

"Kid and the Sunflower" – Kid insults a lecherous sunflower who transforms her into a malicious monster. Serge must kiss her to change her back, or use a special dagger to take her soul at risk of his own soul's capture. Three endings are available.[22]

"SuperXtreme Alphacosmos Police Case EX Ultra" – Magil is a space cop searching for Lynx, secretly a green Martian creature with tentacles. Magil's rock guitar forces Lynx out of hiding, and Serge assaults him with a Martian Forest League Concealed Lesser Armament Bunny.[23]

"Homecoming: Shea's Light" – Kid learns that Lynx and her caretaker Shea are trapped in a magical seal as part of Lynx's effort to escape a spirit prison. Shea selflessly instructs Magil to destroy the Frozen Flame, killing Lynx forever.[24]

"The Enigmatic Gigaweapon: Paradise X" – Serge finds an odd crystal inhabited by an entity named Gange, who tests his strength with gladiatorial combat. Using Gange's Paradise X mecha, Serge and Gange challenge Mecha-Lynx for the Frozen Flame.[25]

"The Shadow Realm and the Goddess of Death" – Kid accidentally summons Lilith, the Goddess of Death. She tries to take Kid's soul, but Magil intervenes. The outcome is slightly affected by Kid's affection for Serge.[26]

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Super Mario RPG, Lufia 2, and Earthbound would all inch out Chrono Trigger and FF4-6 on my personal favorite games list.

I never tried those so I'll have to try them eventually. Oh yeah, I wanted to play Earthbound but apparently the 3ds I have is not the right kind of 3ds able to play it, and nintendo can't figure out how to run a SNES game on 2010s hardware. So that's bullshit.

I was thinking of Suikoden 2, FF9 (and 7-8 to a lesser extent) , Legend of Dragoon, Alundra, basically all the other square games including alot of the SNES ones. There are probably others too that slip my mind

Doctor J Off fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 25, 2020

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Did people actually use or like the 3D feature om 3DS? It didn't do anything except make the screen blurry and harder to see (unless you held it both the system and your neck in exactly the right position which wasn't comfortable). Even on Mario 3D land it made it look and play worse. Honestly they should have just cut their losses and scrapped 3d and called it an enhanced DS or something

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
IMO they should have shelled out to bring back Tim Curry for Gabriel Knight 2. Sure, it would have been hard for an FMV game, but GK2 was already the best in the series without Tim Curry - just a missed opportunity by Sierra On-Line

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

steinrokkan posted:

GK2's potential was overall ruined by being turned to FMV. Everything is so cheap and awkward.

I still think GK3 is the best one.

I can see what you mean, the FMV setup is janky, no way around that. Regardless, I think it has the best writing in the series which matters a lot for this type of game.

Also, you never have to make a fake mustache out of cat fur and scotch tape in GK2

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Barudak posted:

Riven was regarded as a brutal and unexpected step up in difficulty from Myst when it came out. I don't think the mass market would have followed them to Riven anyway after Myst, but still, yowzer.

I remember picking up a copy of Riven after thoroughly enjoying Myst and not understanding any of it at all.

And it was 5 or 6 different CDs and you had to constantly swap them out to go back and forth to try and figure anything out

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
3d platformers have a general problem of being incredibly dull (especially Mario, imo. I can't believe they made a Galaxy 2 when at least 2/3 of Galaxy's run time is filler). I had way more fun with Sonic Generations than any 3D Mario game, in large part due to being able to play through all the content in less than 10 hours. Also, I got it on sale for one dollar earlier in the year.

I remember Klonoa being a lot of fun though, but that was more a 2.5D game.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Shibawanko posted:

its hard to imagine how they couldve made a better 3d mario for that console

Talk about damning with faint praise

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Almost forgot about it, but Jumping Flash was rad as heck too. I can't believe there weren't more 3D platformers in that style

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Tarkus posted:

Speaking of terrible shops, the switch Eshop is loving terrible. I haven't looked at it in about 6 months so maybe it has changed but I'm never pleased with the Eshop. Why is Nintendo so goddamned stubborn when it comes to the internet? They are the leaders in almost everything but they struggle with poo poo that's been around for a solid 20 years.

Nintendo has always struck me as a company that simultaneously wants to get things right but hates its customer base with a fiery passion.

I got a used 3ds and have almost no games for it because I'm actually shocked by the prices for games in the eshop anytime i browse

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

The White Dragon posted:

actually that's probably my biggest universal complaint about western-developed games. japanese studios have had the formula down since day one, your scripted ending sequence should be about 1min per hour of gameplay. american studios be like "100 hour open world game, 30 seconds of ending slides... two hours of credit roll lmao get hosed"

Hideo Kojima scoffs at this formula. I think MGS4 had something like a half hour of ending per hour of gameplay

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

PinheadSlim posted:

Aw forget it, no point in arguin, but drat dudes try posting some unpopular opinions sometimes. This ain't the Games General Chat thread

The genesis was better than snes, except for JRPGs, which were way better on PSX. The Dreamcast was the best console of the PS2 era

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Shibawanko posted:

i still think the snes was better even in the action game department, megadrive had better shmups but thats about it

dreamcast and its successor, the original xbox, were the best consoles of that generation agreed

Hell yeah, I just played through the Shenmue I and II remaster and it's unlike anything else of the era (or any era really)

Re Uncharted chat: I had a similar experience after picking ot up on PS+ last year. There are parts of the game that were actually really fun, but they were separated by a really boring Gears of War clone. They did de-emphasize this a little bit as the series went on, but only a little and they're still at their core cover shooters. I don't understand at all why they didn't model the action on Metal Gear Solid instead. Isn't Drake supposed to be a thief? Aren't thieves better known for sneaking around and being hidden, and not storming through like an action hero?

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

fridge corn posted:

There was never a good Sonic game. All of Sonicdom is irredeemable garbage

Sonic Mania is better than every Mario game except for SMW

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Shibawanko posted:

suikoden isnt underrated, it's a bland, by-the-numbers jrpg that will only appeal to fans of that genre and nobody else

ristar isn't underrated, it's a pretty boring and imprecise platformer that gets by on nice graphics, same with sparkster and a few other games like that

I mean even if you don't think Suikoden is a particularly good game, it doesn't make sense at all to call it generic. it's a JRPG that has you recruit an army to populate a home base castle, take that army out in strategy battles, then engage the enemy generals in 1x1 duels. I don't think any RPG before or since has done that (if they have please let me know which they are so i can play them thanks)

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I will follow that up by saying that Suikoden is the game that Fire Emblem wishes it was

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
That's disappointing to hear about the new FE. I guess that's good to hear, since that was thr only game on switch I wanted to play that's not also on another console.

Conquest was a lot of fun, though, and pretty difficult! Who actually cares about fire emblem plots? (don't answer that)

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Death Stranding is/was awesome. It's a huge game with a lot of quests content laid out in a unique way. I did have some issues with it, like the boss fights dragging on a bit too long. Before I played it this year I was into Euro Truck Simulator for a bit, and was digging that but wished there was a bit more action in it - Kojima to the rescue.

Speaking of Kojima and overrated games though, I'm of the opinion that the Last of Us was totally overrated. It was okay, I didn't hate it, but if you compare it to Metal Gear Solid 4 (both are character driven 3rd person stealth/action games) it seems lacking. MGS4 is better in basically every way, but came out on the same system 5 years earlier. It's basically been forgotten, even though it has IMO the best boss fights in the series.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The last time the Nintendo console wasn't the worst choice (including Sega and PC) was the SNES

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Speaking of forgotten mascot platformers, does anyone remember Klonoa? Couple games on ps1 and 2, then a GBA one. I remember them very fondly, and can throw it on the stack of ”3d platformers better than mario 64”

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

FF9 had a better card game tbh, but most people didn't realize it because the rules are fairly complicated and they don't explain them at all in the game. It's a blast if you look up the rules though

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

fridge corn posted:

Yeah I never understood why ppl seem to rave about the ff8 card game. Always had much more fun playing the ff9 card game

It's a shame because it had potential, but FF9 in general is overlooked compared to 6-8 because it came out after the PS2 was available

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Waltzing Along posted:

Exactly, there is no such thing as a good shooter.

I agree with this, I've always found single player shooters to be super dull, and the multiplayer ones just a toxic mess and not a good use of my time. I can at least understand why people would play multiplayer shooters for the "e-sport" aspect of it, though, but single player shooters just take you through a series of puzzles while you click on enemies to make them disappear, like somebody looked at Myst and thought "This would make a great action game"

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

GAYIDS posted:

Hearts is better than solitaire

THANK You someone needed to say it

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The best Zelda ever is Alundra on PS1, same basic style but you can jump and the dungeons are interesting instead of the boring Zelda dungeons

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The combat in Shenmue 3 is actually quite good, and the idiot nerds on YouTube freaking out about it aren't playing the game right if they can't execute the right moves and think it's just a button masher.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Are button-mashers not better than non-button-mashers?

(Serious question)

In my opinion I would rather play a game needing precise inputs than one you can just mash the buttons to win. I say that because I saw multiple different "Angry Ranting Nerds" yelling that the combat is a bad button masher compared to that of the first two while they walk face first into enemy punches without blocking or dodging and then just mashed X instead of executing combos

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Phigs posted:

But if they can do that and still win it's a button masher regardless of if they could be doing better not button mashing. If they can't win then it's a very different problem than being button mashy.

There are 4 difficulty settings, if they could win any of the later or optional fights just by button mashing, they were playing on story mode because your enemies can interrupt your weaker moves. You'll get beat if you aren't dodging and using the more complex moves

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

yigh posted:

Cyberpunk failed because they wanted to make future-GTA without Rockstar's decades worth of experience developing real-GTA.
Red Dead convinces me that Rockstar can make a killer future-GTA given they made a decent cowboy-GTA.

You know IMO GTA isn't fun at all to play except for messing around in the sandbox, and it feels like the mission design hasn't changed at all since GTA3 on the PS2, which honestly was just okay back then and the whole package was carried by the fully open world, which isn't unique or interesting anymore.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Muk Dumpster posted:

Are there any gay sim city esque games

Does sim copter not count?

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The last game Blizzard made that was actually fun to play was The Lost Vikings

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
My unpopular videogame opinion is that arguments about hardware preferences, including console of choice or controller of choice are horribly boring and pointless

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I bought a controller for my Pc after trying to play Forza Horizon 4 with a Keyboard and mouse. I usually think kbm works just fine for most games, but it obviously wasn't cutting it for a driving game. Then, I tried out Hitman 2 with the controller, and it was terrible. Maybe it's something you just have to get used to, but I don't have any reason to when I'm already used to kbm which feels fine. I maintain my opinion that keyboard and mouse works better for most genres, the only ones where I prefer a controller being sports games and platformers.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

sebmojo posted:

i downloaded the demo for dragon quest 11 and holy jesus i barely made it out of the tutorial. is it as predictable as it looks like it's gonna be?

It's generally fun and has a decent challenge and skill progression system, but there are, iirc, three distinct sections of the game where nothing happens except for playing out the blandest ever JRPG story for 10 or so hours. The main game is better than that but it will happen again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Karl Ontario posted:

The Japanese voiceovers are not "better". You just don't speak Japanese so you can't tell they are the same crap as the English VOs.

I've never understood at all the attitude that subs are for weebs, while dubbed English voices are the natural state for a foreign release of a Japanese product. Has anyone ever watched a foreign language film before? Imagine watching a dubbed version of an Ingmar Berman movie. Only weebs watch dubs, because dubs are only offered as an option for weeb media