Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

ABOUT THIS GAME

Resident Evil 7 biohazard is the next major entry in the renowned Resident Evil series and sets a new course for the franchise as it leverages its roots and opens the door to a truly terrifying horror experience. A dramatic new shift for the series to first person view in a photorealistic style powered by Capcom’s new RE Engine, Resident Evil 7 delivers an unprecedented level of immersion that brings the thrilling horror up close and personal.

Set in modern day rural America and taking place after the dramatic events of Resident Evil® 6, players experience the terror directly from the first person perspective. Resident Evil 7 embodies the series’ signature gameplay elements of exploration and tense atmosphere that first coined “survival horror” some twenty years ago; meanwhile, a complete refresh of gameplay systems simultaneously propels the survival horror experience to the next level.

What?

Let's try this again:

Three years since she was last seen, Ethan Winters suddenly receives a message from his missing wife, Mia. Her location: the old abandoned Baker farm in Dulvey, Louisiana. A long string of bad rumors and missing persons surround the place, and of course, it all turns out to be true -- the Bakers are still alive, sort of, and everything that can go horribly wrong in a post-Umbrella world has. All Ethan can do now is try to get back out in one piece.

This is a blind run of the Steam version of RE7, with me playing and one co-commentator, Fletcher, watching along on a stream. Each video runs about 20-30 minutes and should go up about every three days. There is no scarecam crap. Please note that although (non-spoiler) comments on how to play the game better are welcome, we've already recorded a huge chunk of it so they may not be especially helpful in this case.

On that note, :siren:NO SPOILERS AT ALL PLEASE.:siren: The game is still pretty new, plus we haven't actually finished it yet, so please don't be an rear end!

RE7 features an impressively wide and gruesome variety of body horror imagery, starting almost from the very beginning of the game, and it never really lets up. It's probably best not to watch this around small kids or at work or whatever. Consider this your only warning! It's really gross!

701. Not Our Special Place
702. First Escape
703. Trauma Center
704. Daddy Takes the T-Bird Away
705. Party Tricks
706. Turn, Turn, Turn
707. Pest Control
708. Scissor Dance

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

701. Not Our Special Place

702. First Escape

Welcome to Resident Evil 7! Please ignore all the spooky noises and that bird in the microwave and just blunder right on into Hell this nice home.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

I will never play a single second of this game, god drat :stare:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Bushmeister posted:

I will never play a single second of this game, god drat :stare:

There are times on recording where I jump, and I don't even have the controller.

(This is probably one of the most grounded, hosed up REs so far and that makes it all the more horrific. It's great.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm currently a bit past the midway point, I think. I unfortunately finished the third real boss battle with no ammo except for a weapon that's kinda useless for the point I'm coming up on and there's no real way to just run away from enemies given the geography. I think my only hope now is to scavenge around for any items I missed in the hopes of getting a few bullets.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

END ME SCOOB posted:

There are times on recording where I jump, and I don't even have the controller.

(This is probably one of the most grounded, hosed up REs so far and that makes it all the more horrific. It's great.)

Keep in mind, grounded for a Resident Evil game. It can get pretty pants-on-heads nutter later.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
All I can say is this game is best played with a headset. You miss a lot of environmental noises if you use regular speakers.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Doseku posted:

All I can say is this game is best played with a headset. You miss a lot of environmental noises if you use regular speakers.

Also be sure to switch the sound config from stereo to headphones for maximum creepy

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

oh boy, am i excited for Jack Baker's Hungry Hungry Murderhillbilly Hoedown

Doseku posted:

yeah! the music and sound design is probably the best part of the game.

END ME SCOOB posted:

It helps that they don't weigh it down with a bunch of exposition meant to awkwardly join it to twenty years of increasingly wacky canon from the get-go :v:

so it ends up feeling like more of a mostly well-designed weird horror game than A Resident Evil Game for a big chunk of the campaign.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Ningyou posted:

It helps that they don't weigh it down with a bunch of exposition meant to awkwardly join it to twenty years of increasingly wacky canon from the get-go :v:

so it ends up feeling like more of a mostly well-designed weird horror game than A Resident Evil Game for a big chunk of the campaign.

The absurdity is toned down significantly, but that doesn't mean it holds up from even the lightest bit of scrutiny. It still is a resident evil game after all.

That said, it does build a significantly better atmosphere which allows the brutality to hit closer to home. I'm happy to see this LP start, myself.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sorry those stairs from the preview image are 2 spooky, i cant watch this

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This game is loving scary in vr

gently caress this game

White Coke
May 29, 2015
When do you meet the Helpful Bag?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
too scary for me, i just paused it and skipped around using the arrow keys. I saw the bloody face and stopped watching.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
This game, especially the first segment here, reminds me a lot of the now sadly defunct "PT" playable teaser game for the canceled Kojima/del Toro Silent Hills project. You're being forced to walk down semi-claustrophobic and/or spookily distressed hallways with strange and unexplained sounds and puzzles coming at you. It just lacks the messed up time-loops and a Norman Reedus cameo to complete the effect.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I can see it for this early section and for the demo, but I don't think the comparison to PT really holds up once the game gets going. I admit I never actually played PT, but from what I understand a huge chunk of it was based around changing the environment from what you know specifically to gently caress with you, which doesn't really happen much here (it did a little in the demo, though).

Ningyou posted:

I kinda liked some of the ridiculous exposition. Personal highlights include "Piers yells Chris's accomplishments at him in a bar" and "Oh by the way Umbrella's stock crashed between games and they're gone now."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

too scary for me, i just paused it and skipped around using the arrow keys. I saw the bloody face and stopped watching.

It's really not as bad as most modern horror games. Jump scares are at a minimum (especially the bullshit ones where they just scream and throw a scary image at you), and the game relies on more subtle terror and "lesser" jump scares that might surprise you but aren't loud and shocking.

Above all else, this game is really similar to the original Resident Evil. The mansion environment is one part of that, but also the general tone and resource limiting. It's a huge departure from everything 4 onward where it's a wacky action-adventure series that just happens to have zombies in it.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Level 1 Thief posted:

I can see it for this early section and for the demo, but I don't think the comparison to PT really holds up once the game gets going. I admit I never actually played PT, but from what I understand a huge chunk of it was based around changing the environment from what you know specifically to gently caress with you, which doesn't really happen much here (it did a little in the demo, though).

It's certainly not a one-to-one comparison or anything. PT was just a little tone-poem of a horror game that was all about the same thing happening over and over but with different ghostly freakouts while you try to find the obscure puzzles to get to the next loop. This is way more survival horror exploration game while being Outlasted by nigh invulnerable Texas Chainsaw Minibosses. Lots more environments and themes and things to do while juggling your limited resources and survivability.

Still I'd recommend anybody finding a watchable lets play or stream of PT from back then and taking a look. It's kind of a fascinating work from a design and aesthetic standpoint. It wasn't that long a game and there are a bunch of little seemingly shared details that line up, even beyond the general "horror game in a haunted house" tropes that you might expect.

Admittedly PT got kind of lucky by being exactly what the then relatively new streaming LP community wanted and everybody sort of tried to race to the finish line together, and so it might not stand up as something that could stretch into a real AAA title today. And if nothing else, RE7 thus far has shown that it's been able to throw off a lot of the goofier shackles and questionable gameplay elements of its predecessors and become its own quite interesting thing.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Level 1 Thief posted:

I kinda liked some of the ridiculous exposition. Personal highlights include "Piers yells Chris's accomplishments at him in a bar" and "Oh by the way Umbrella's stock crashed between games and they're gone now."

That's fair! I just lost my taste for it a little by RE6. :v: And before I jumped into RE7 I was kinda worried it would try to awkwardly shoehorn in a bunch of The Lore from the start.

"Macaulay Culkin becomes the Gil Gunderson of B.O.W. dealers and then, finally, the ____ virus turns him into a giant penis-leviathan and this giant penis-leviathan knows about the secret levers that will shift the balance of the world this giant penis-leviathan knows an inescapable change will sweep the earth" in 5 was kind of funny, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ningyou posted:

That's fair! I just lost my taste for it a little by RE6. :v: And before I jumped into RE7 I was kinda worried it would try to awkwardly shoehorn in a bunch of The Lore from the start.

"Macaulay Culkin becomes the Gil Gunderson of B.O.W. dealers and then, finally, the ____ virus turns him into a giant penis-leviathan and this giant penis-leviathan knows about the secret levers that will shift the balance of the world this giant penis-leviathan knows an inescapable change will sweep the earth" in 5 was kind of funny, though.

Resident Evil 7 errs so far on the side of backing away from the prior insane lore that some people who were initially playing actually suspected that it was a total reboot or otherwise unrelated to anything else in the Resident Evil series at first. The connections are there, but it takes a while.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
For me I didn't find anything scary as such in this game, more ominous than anything, I've played all 3 Dead Space games so I'm more than used to horrors lurking in the shadows. :v:

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

chitoryu12 posted:

Resident Evil 7 errs so far on the side of backing away from the prior insane lore that some people who were initially playing actually suspected that it was a total reboot or otherwise unrelated to anything else in the Resident Evil series at first. The connections are there, but it takes a while.
I know, I've played through the game! I just wasn't sure if mentioning 'it mostly doesn't start tying things to the past games until very late in the game' would be slightly spoilery or anything so i didn't say anything. which is kind of dumb now that I think about it, but :shrug:

Judge Tesla posted:

For me I didn't find anything scary as such in this game, more ominous than anything, I've played all 3 Dead Space games so I'm more than used to horrors lurking in the shadows. :v:
The little canned scares in the game didn't really get me, but jesus christ trying to squeak past Jack into the pantry on Madhouse, unlocking the crawlspace hatch, and then suddenly enormous Daddy-fingers covering half the screen out of nowhere made my heart skip a beat

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
This game is definitely at it's scariest in the very beginning, when you don't know what to expect. Later the scares become more predictable and the survival aspect takes over, but it's still very much gross and ominous.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

703. Trauma Center

Please don't try any of this at home.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm disappointed that you missed picking up your own hand to put in your inventory.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I have to say, I was expecting it to take longer for the wife to show up. But having the person you came to save be your introduction to combat is super horrific.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

The body movement doesn't seem to be quite as reactive as it is in, say, Outlast, but its plenty enough to give you a more full experience than the standard FP game. Everything about the wife, the hand and the chainsaw :stare:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So you're definitely a zombie now right?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Those monsters cheated you out of a chainsaw hand.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

I feel like the only people RE7 ends well for are prosthetic salesmen and Amazon. (i mean, they have to get their industrial staples, dozens of identical cassette tapes, trashy novels, dinnerware, people-collars, and so on from somewhere, right?)

....does Amazon even ship to swamp murderhouses?

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 18, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i like how despite how serious and gory this game is it still has time for somewhat goofy stuff like ethans hand being able to work again with just a few staples

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

mandatory lesbian posted:

i like how despite how serious and gory this game is it still has time for somewhat goofy stuff like ethans hand being able to work again with just a few staples
also, Daddy's Garbage Son going NOT AGIN when he gets his hand cut off

my working theory about the staple thing is that they're all wizards and ethan is some kind of oblivious and increasingly gangrene-ridden redneck harry potter

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm disappointed that you missed picking up your own hand to put in your inventory.

Believe me, if I'd seen a prompt for that it would have taken top priority.

malkav11 posted:

I have to say, I was expecting it to take longer for the wife to show up. But having the person you came to save be your introduction to combat is super horrific.

Melee and firearm combat! And the way she reacts when you "win" is just awful.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Ningyou posted:

....does Amazon even ship to swamp murderhouses?

They probably have a P.O. Box.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ningyou posted:

my working theory about the staple thing is that they're all wizards and ethan is some kind of oblivious and increasingly gangrene-ridden redneck harry potter

Honestly though, they exist in a world where First Aid Sprays and the Umbrella Corporation are a thing- I can certainly buy that due to the world's apparently highly-advanced medical technology a simple limb reattachment with staples and that healing water could be perfectly reasonable.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Honestly though, they exist in a world where First Aid Sprays and the Umbrella Corporation are a thing- I can certainly buy that due to the world's apparently highly-advanced medical technology a simple limb reattachment with staples and that healing water could be perfectly reasonable.

Yeah, if you have medicine that just washes away having a knife stabbed through your entire hand, reattaching the hand with staples is probably enough to let it do its thing.

Or maybe it's a plot point. We'll see!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ningyou posted:

also, Daddy's Garbage Son going NOT AGIN when he gets his hand cut off

i actually laughed at that, it's a perfect mix of gruesome and humorous

White Coke
May 29, 2015

malkav11 posted:

Yeah, if you have medicine that just washes away having a knife stabbed through your entire hand, reattaching the hand with staples is probably enough to let it do its thing.

Or maybe it's a plot point. We'll see!

Just imagine the sort of poo poo Jackass got up to in the Resident Evil universe.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

White Coke posted:

Just imagine the sort of poo poo Jackass got up to in the Resident Evil universe.

...I want to see that world's Johnny Knoxville so bad now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

END ME SCOOB posted:

...I want to see that world's Johnny Knoxville so bad now.

In the RE universe, it turns out that Bam Margera got caught peeing outdoors in a Finnish suburb because he was actually drunk on the all-consuming T-Double Wesker virus and that was the best way to disseminate it he could think of at the time.

This is the opening cinema to Resident Evil Revelations 3.

• Locked thread