Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

704. Daddy Takes the T-Bird Away

We're a bit unsure in the video, but it turns out that is in fact Ethan's car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
This is certainly a unique direction for RE to go in. Kind of digging it though. Does a lot with the whole 'less is more' idea. When fights are far and few between every fight is significant and important and feels really dangerous.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
So, with the car key, there's two ways this part can play out. If he gets to the car first, it's the scene you guys got. If you get to the car first and use the keys, the scene plays out a little bit differently. They both end with the car exploding, no easy way out of this house :v:

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 20, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Frionnel posted:

So, with the car key, there's two ways this part can play out. If he gets to the car first, it's the scene you guys got. If you get to the car first and use the keys, the scene plays out a little bit differently. They both ending with the car exploding, no easy way out of this house :v:

In particular, the fight is way easier if you're fast enough and get Jack in the right position. Normally Jack can pull you out of the car if you try to get in and the fight goes immediately to him trying to run you over, but if he's too far away and you start the car in time you get to run him over. He climbs aboard and crashes the car for you in this case, but you can spend little to no ammo if you're fast enough and kite him away from the car before jumping in.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It's a good thing Jack's pants are made of asbestos. I bet the late game plot twist is that there's actually a whole colony of Jacks and that every one you fight throughout the game is a different one.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Jack is easily one of my favorite bosses of the game. He brings so much humor when you run into him.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I'm curious how the cut scene with Jack and shooting himself when you try to climb the ladder would play out if you were out of bullets.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I actually found out: still does

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

It was a very stressful situation and he miscounted.

Frionnel posted:

They both end with the car exploding, no easy way out of this house :v:

No cops, cars or cellphones are allowed to survive these movies.

Jade Star posted:

This is certainly a unique direction for RE to go in. Kind of digging it though. Does a lot with the whole 'less is more' idea. When fights are far and few between every fight is significant and important and feels really dangerous.

It really helps the idea that something terrible could happen at any time, whereas in the old games the worst that'd usually happen is a room suddenly had a couple Hunters in it this time or the occasional jump scare involving known enemies. For this fight in particular I think they did an amazing job making something memorable out of what could've just been "a dude with an axe in the garage."

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 21, 2017

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

705. Party Tricks

Believe it or not, this isn't even in the top 5 filthiest rooms in the house.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Well, Daddy only took 7 bullets to down this time. I guess you're going to have to scrounge the house while he follows after you. Think of it like alien isolation. Only the alien is a zombie. Sort of. who knows.

Also yeah, really, find out his real name.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He went down way faster for you than he did for me. I spent a good part of my handgun ammo dropping him, to the point where I got chased all the way to the bottom of the living room staircase before headshotting him.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jade Star posted:

Well, Daddy only took 7 bullets to down this time. I guess you're going to have to scrounge the house while he follows after you. Think of it like alien isolation. Only the alien is a zombie. Sort of. who knows.

There doesn't seem to be as much stealth as in Alien Isolation. It might be that "Daddy" has to be killed whenever he shows up in order to progress.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

White Coke posted:

There doesn't seem to be as much stealth as in Alien Isolation. It might be that "Daddy" has to be killed whenever he shows up in order to progress.

As far as we can tell, nope.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

White Coke posted:

All of those sections can be stealthed, and it's preferable for you to do so to avoid using up a lot of ammo.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

He went down way faster for you than he did for me. I spent a good part of my handgun ammo dropping him, to the point where I got chased all the way to the bottom of the living room staircase before headshotting him.

The headshot criticals in this game do insanely more damage than regular shots, to the point that sometimes you're just as well off missing while going for the head as you would be shooting anywhere else.

This is about to become a problem.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Level 1 Thief posted:

The headshot criticals in this game do insanely more damage than regular shots, to the point that sometimes you're just as well off missing while going for the head as you would be shooting anywhere else.

This is about to become a problem.

I think my biggest problem was that headshots are pretty hard to accomplish on most enemies. We obviously haven't seen anyone but Jack Baker yet, but you need to learn pretty drat fast how to hit the head reliably instead of going a few inches too far to the side and hitting the shoulder or the wall behind them.

If I had any criticism about the sound design in this game, the only one would probably be that the guns sound way too weak. I generally think a lot of them video games have weak gun sounds, but RE7 is a definite offender in piddly little "piff" noises from the pistols. Otherwise, the sound design is phenomenal and has some incredible layering.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The obvious explanation is that it's a .22, which also explains why it's so ineffective.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have actually never seen someone take down Jack in that scene.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 25, 2017

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

I like that you record live, everything else would be really terrible for this game.
enjoying this a lot

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

caps on caps on caps posted:

I like that you record live, everything else would be really terrible for this game.
enjoying this a lot

Here is a fun fact: you can tell which of us is at the controls based on if it's live (him) or pre-recorded (moi)

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
I am really enjoying this LP. Youtube is full of people playing this and screaming their heads off which is annoying and not entertaining at all. There have been a couple of occasions where I've jumped as this game is really quite creepy (and I feel Konami have made a serious mistake cancelling Silent Hills given how popular this is). Good co-commentary too - a lot of the suggestions made are the type of things I'd suggest playing a game like this. Looking forwards to the next video.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

706. Turn, Turn, Turn

In case anyone still had any doubts, we've definitely landed in a Resident Evil game.

By the way, we missed a file in the recreation room. We do stumble into it in a later video, but since you're meant to find it here, I figured I should post it:

caps on caps on caps posted:

enjoying this a lot

not lame! posted:

I am really enjoying this LP. Youtube is full of people playing this and screaming their heads off which is annoying and not entertaining at all.

Thanks! I hate that scarecam crap too so I wanted there to at least be something more subdued available. Hope it continues to your liking!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I spent so goddamn long on that shadow puzzle. I didn't realize that you could get it mostly lined up and hit OK to make the game accept it and move it the rest of the way, so I spent probably 10 minutes twirling it around to try and beat it with the crappy mouse rotation.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
I had no idea what the new RE game would be like, and I wouldn't have guessed RE doing Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I'm really enjoying it so far. :)

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

LucyWanabe posted:

I had no idea what the new RE game would be like, and I wouldn't have guessed RE doing Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I'm really enjoying it so far. :)

I'm only up to update 3 and I think it's much more effective than the old Resident Evils, but we have to acknowledge those games for inventing the pharmo-virus screwball comedy genre.

Remember in the first Resident Evil when you would find a note and it would say, "2/14/1996: We lost 4 scientists to monkey maulings today" or something? How did we ever take Umbrella seriously?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Cathode Raymond posted:

Remember in the first Resident Evil when you would find a note and it would say, "2/14/1996: We lost 4 scientists to monkey maulings today" or something? How did we ever take Umbrella seriously?
As someone who just finished RE1 for the first time last night: I didn't. It helped.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

I'm only up to update 3 and I think it's much more effective than the old Resident Evils, but we have to acknowledge those games for inventing the pharmo-virus screwball comedy genre.

my favorite thing about this series to this day is that despite all the horrific experiments and unleashing zombie hell on like 2 different metro areas the thing that ended up killing Umbrella was the recession

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

707. Pest Control

White Coke
May 29, 2015

mandatory lesbian posted:

my favorite thing about this series to this day is that despite all the horrific experiments and unleashing zombie hell on like 2 different metro areas the thing that ended up killing Umbrella was the recession

It's the most realistic thing in the franchise.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Gets scorpion key then forgets that they could use scorpion key to explore upstairs instead of pushing further into the basement. I was face palming when you said "Do you have any other ideas were we could go?"

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 2, 2017

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Edit: never mind, I forgot the location of one item.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 2, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

The knife is a pretty ok alternative in this game if you have no bullets, and you're getting actually good with it. I'm pretty sure headshots do give a signficant bonus to damage, the problem is that some times you're hitting the necks or the shoulders instead.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Cathode Raymond posted:

tbf it was the 90s

like "whoops we spent millions of dollars in research only to lose a chunk of our workforce to murderous zombie monkeys/dogs/crabs/enormous scorpions but hey we've got this baller giant murderclaw baby in the basement th-that's marketable right" probably made at least as much sense at the time as pets.com

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You guys might have better luck with headshots if you slow down your rate of fire a bit (easier said than done I know), and wait a second after scoring a headshot. The enemies seem to move their heads a lot while recoiling from that and it looks like that is making you miss a lot. You might be better served by using that time to get a better position instead.

Ningyou posted:

tbf it was the 90s

like "whoops we spent millions of dollars in research only to lose a chunk of our workforce to murderous zombie monkeys/dogs/crabs/enormous scorpions but hey we've got this baller giant murderclaw baby in the basement th-that's marketable right" probably made at least as much sense at the time as pets.com

The sad truth of it is that AOL turned Raccoon city into a walking corpse long before the zombies showed up.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Ningyou posted:

tbf it was the 90s

I'm not saying that the Umbrella business model makes less sense than pets.com. I would never say that.

I just think that maybe they could have examined their processes a little bit better so that maybe not-so-many scientists got eaten/infected by their various bioweapons. I mean how do you replace dozens of scientists every month? What kind of HR machine do you have to be running to survive turnover like that?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Cathode Raymond posted:

I mean how do you replace dozens of scientists every month? What kind of HR machine do you have to be running to survive turnover like that?
well the t in "t-virus" stands for temp so you can kinda draw your own conclusions from there

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

708. Scissor Dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSMKSrnJtIo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yeah first thing i thought was clock tower too

a thing i don't know how i feel about it but ethan isn't exactly snappy like say, Leon or Chris, he's relatively silent while all this is going on

it def heightens the tension to not have a one-liner every time a bad guy talks but idk, i kinda miss it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I was on the edge of my seat when you guys didn't see that the chainsaw was up for grabs.

Also, i don't remember if you guys found yet, but you can consume an herb without combining with fluid for a cheap but weak heal. I know i only realized that more than halfway through because the game didn't tell me.

• Locked thread