Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Your Taint posted:

Kris Bryant got pranked.

He thinks he's taking BP off a sound guy. Turns out the sound guy is Greg Maddux.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/greg-maddux-pranks-kris-bryant/#xOCL4vWDL1YMc3Kx.97

This is a pro click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Bryant getting progressively more frustrated that he can't hit a BP curve ball is fantastic.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I was expecting that to be really dumb but it actually owned.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
goddamn middle aged fat maddux dropping backdoor curveballs in without a windeup on the reigning MVP

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Bryant: "Still want my bat?"

Maddux: "...no."

Beautiful :allears:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Popete posted:

Bryant getting progressively more frustrated that he can't hit a BP curve ball is fantastic.

Yeah, it just gets better as it goes on. I also love at the end "Still want my bat?" 'No.'

E:f;b :argh:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That just makes me think Maddux could have hung on if he'd wanted to as a middle reliever.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I thought Mad Dog was wearing a belly prosthetic but I guess he's embraced the dad bod.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

See, here's the thing...

https://twitter.com/espnnewyork/status/832276284168232960

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

It's been deleted, got a "Sorry, that page doesn't exist!" message

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's been deleted, got a "Sorry, that page doesn't exist!" message

Oh, well it was an ESPN NY tweet about the Yankees signing Chris Carter but with a photo of Nolan Arenado..

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

will_colorado posted:

Oh, well it was an ESPN NY tweet about the Yankees signing Chris Carter but with a photo of Nolan Arenado..

Talk about wishful thinking

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Uh... cool? I don't really see why we would ever need Chris Carter but he'll mash some taters I guess.

e: I guess this means they have no faith in Tyler Austin?

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 16, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

goddamn middle aged fat maddux dropping backdoor curveballs in without a windeup on the reigning MVP

Maddux: "Okay... middle-away, hit it over the right field fence."

Bryant: "Okay."

*Meekly fouls away a pitch exactly where Maddux said it would be*

Bryant: "...Do it again."

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Also if that were a real Greg Maddux prank he would have rear ended Bryants Rental Car and spit tobacco all over him afterwords.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I like how Bryant didn't even want to let him throw at first and then like two seconds later 'this sound guy's got a pretty good curve.'

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

That was my favorite part.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Also reminder to everyone that over a seven year span maddux did this:

He owned.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

He's no Will Clark

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Uh... cool? I don't really see why we would ever need Chris Carter but he'll mash some taters I guess.

e: I guess this means they have no faith in Tyler Austin?

Or birds shoulder isn't where they expect (signs point to this not being true). Also Carter is really cheap and probably tradable if he mashes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

humpthewind posted:

Or birds shoulder isn't where they expect (signs point to this not being true). Also Carter is really cheap and probably tradable if he mashes.

Carter was just too cheap to pass up, I think. I would imagine they wouldn't have bothered with Holliday if they had known the slugger market was going to completely bottom out like this.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Inspector_666 posted:

Carter was just too cheap to pass up, I think. I would imagine they wouldn't have bothered with Holliday if they had known the slugger market was going to completely bottom out like this.

Agreed. I foresee some pitching heavy team around the all Star break needing hitting and Cashman dumps Carter on them for two AA relief prospects

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I was expecting that to be really dumb but it actually owned.

This. And I'm a Cubs fan whose all time favorite player might be Maddux.

Phonoxen
Feb 15, 2017

As you can see, we've had our eye on you for some time now, Mr. Anderson.
Today in Dumping on Chris Christie:

Chris Christie posted:

The Phillies suck. Let’s just start with that. They’re from Philadelphia. They’re an awful team. They’re an angry, bitter fan base and it’s not safe for civilized people to go to Citizens Bank Park if you want to root for the other team.
https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/832296363715092481

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
:siren: BSOHL alert :siren:

https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/832299611041652738

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'd like to see dueling Ryu-Maeda ramen commercials

meanwhile, Ryu's fastball was last seen at 84-86 mph :smith:

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 16, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

I'd like to see dueling Ryu-Maeda ramen commercials

meanwhile, Ryu's fastball was last seen at 84-86 mph :smith:

I assume the Angels are blowing up the phone about him?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

ChiTownEddie posted:

This. And I'm a Cubs fan whose all time favorite player might be Maddux.

I loved baseball before Maddux, but watching him week in week out on TBS was what made sure I would love it for life.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Ha! Came here to post that. Full remarks:

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/gov-chris-christie-rips-phillies/1iyaikoqolrmp1eej7nl5drchc

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Doesn't most of southern Jersey cheer for the Phillies?

I guess you can expect this from a Cowboys fan, though.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 16, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mike_V posted:

I thought Mad Dog was wearing a belly prosthetic but I guess he's embraced the dad bod.

It's easy to stop working out like a professional athlete. It's not easy to stop eating like a professional athlete.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's easy to stop working out like a professional athlete. It's not easy to stop eating like a professional athlete.

I'm guessing Maddux doesn't give af about his physique.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Not generally a problem in baseball but it can work the other way too for guys who aren't naturally big but play sports where being big is important. Nick Hardwick is one of the more striking examples, he went from this:

to this in like 7 freaking months:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
To be fair, offensive linemen have disgusting eating habits out of necessity.

Phonoxen
Feb 15, 2017

As you can see, we've had our eye on you for some time now, Mr. Anderson.

tadashi posted:

Doesn't most of southern Jersey cheer for the Phillies?

I guess you can expect this from a Cowboys fan, though.

Here in central NJ, the local Target/Walmart/etc. stores sell both Philles and Yankees gear

sorry Mets fans

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Spoeank posted:

To be fair, offensive linemen have disgusting eating habits out of necessity.

I've read interviews with football players saying that they really don't enjoy food any more because they've got to eat so much and so often to maintain that size. Couple that with an athlete's metabolism and you can see how guys can shrink down once they no longer have to put themselves through 8 meals a day of steak and chicken breasts and 12-egg omelettes.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Meanwhile I play hockey 3 days a week and I still gain weight if I eat more than 1,400 calories a day. :argh:

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

tadashi posted:

This is so weird.

What would be hilarious is if Loria was able to cozy up to someone politically, so to speak, in order to sell another team.

This is awesome. Is there a button I can press to translate to English? Using Chrome made some interesting names like wRC+ leader "Cylinder incense Jia Ji" and batting title contender "In the corner Katsuya".

There is an English check box on the right side of the different stat types list after "Value".

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

I've read interviews with football players saying that they really don't enjoy food any more because they've got to eat so much and so often to maintain that size. Couple that with an athlete's metabolism and you can see how guys can shrink down once they no longer have to put themselves through 8 meals a day of steak and chicken breasts and 12-egg omelettes.
More evidence that football is dumb and should be abandoned completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
My brothers boss is in his second year on the job and needs something witty that's Angels related for the birthday card.

• Locked thread