Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

bawfuls posted:

More evidence that football is dumb and should be abandoned completely

I agree wholeheartedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bawfuls posted:

meanwhile, Ryu's fastball was last seen at 84-86 mph :smith:

Boras probably put him on the Zito Regimen. Get ready for MVP bunts and inexplicably unhittable stuff.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I read a book by a football player (don't remember who) but he said it was harder after he retired to stop eating as much because he was so used to doing so to keep weight on.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

though that segment owned a whole hell of a lot, don't forget maddux is pitching from like 35' away and bryant's still detecting the curve

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Abel Wingnut posted:

though that segment owned a whole hell of a lot, don't forget maddux is pitching from like 35' away and bryant's still detecting the curve

Somebody's Cubs Chat is in the BSOHL

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFMvXRA2GI0

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

2016 was a candle compared to the nuclear meltdowns I'm prepared to have in 2017.

Best Posting of My Life

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Lumpy posted:

Ace level post here.

E: VVV Holy poo poo it is even more ridiculous in super slow motin.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 17, 2017

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Why is this not an illegal pitch delivery, even with charitable 'drag the toe = still on the rubber' parameters he's clearly taking the foot off the mound and hopping forward

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/831917274227281920

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I feel like that second hop is gonna get the hammer dropped on him this year.

Also how in the gently caress is it physically possible to throw in the high 90s like that.

(I'm so loving happy that nothing became of the rumors about him and the Yankees.)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

That's a clown balk, bro.

edit: really now both his feet go airborne and you can tell because the toes of his back foot pivots dramatically for a guy in cleats and his pants leg reacts as he hits the ground.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 17, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's a loving balk and you'll never convince me otherwise

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

it's clearly the balkenest bunch of balk that ever balked.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

that's really impressive that he can do that but it's also stupid as gently caress and a balk imo

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VtKxqbwpm0

Fun video about Jeff Francoeur by Jon Bois

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
It's impressive as hell Capps can do such an awkward move and still rifle it in there.

And by awkward I mean illegal as all hell

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's too late for me to actually do the math but considering he's effectively throwing from 57-58 feet from the plate after that jump, the perceived velocity on those pitches has to be bonkers. Especially since he's still somehow hitting the low 90's.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Pranks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2llUpTmIkdc

Jeff Francoeur pranked into thinking a teammate is deaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nKKqPOiJxI

Kyle Kendrick "traded" to Japan

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

It's too late for me to actually do the math but considering he's effectively throwing from 57-58 feet from the plate after that jump, the perceived velocity on those pitches has to be bonkers. Especially since he's still somehow hitting the low 90's.

It adds 3.something mph of effective velocity.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

Why is this not an illegal pitch delivery, even with charitable 'drag the toe = still on the rubber' parameters he's clearly taking the foot off the mound and hopping forward

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/831917274227281920

It's not a balk because it is his "...natural motion associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter".

They could change the rule but he's not technically doing anything wrong according to the rules.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/56955/carter-capps-delivery-is-strange-and-apparently-legal

The thing he was called out on in AAA was for over-elevating in his delivery (too much hop). I think he's changed that to more of a slide motion.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

tadashi posted:

It's not a balk because it is his "...natural motion associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter".

They could change the rule but he's not technically doing anything wrong according to the rules.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/56955/carter-capps-delivery-is-strange-and-apparently-legal

The thing he was called out on in AAA was for over-elevating in his delivery (too much hop). I think he's changed that to more of a slide motion.

Ok so under that rule he could theoretically hop a few more times and deliver the pitch from the grass and it would be ok.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Your Taint posted:

Ok so under that rule he could theoretically hop a few more times and deliver the pitch from the grass and it would be ok.

He never lands his left foot until he throws and stays within the normal range of a "delivery" while he's moving toward the plate. I think that's how he stays within the rules for most umpires - it's like a variation on a foot drag. It would be tremendously difficult to do anymore than what Capps does, I think. Of course, if there was a sudden flood of pitchers delivering like this and it clearly affected the game, I'm sure they'd clarify the rules like they did for ambidexterity pitchers.

My real opinion is that the delivery is allowable even though it's as close to illegal as you can get. What umpires should watch for, imo, is the height of his hop and to make sure the right foot always lands before the left. I wouldn't like it if half the relievers in baseball started doing this.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 17, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
it seems like a dumb delivery anyway. his back foot is not planted enough to provide a lot of force into the ball. he'd probably be throwing in the 100s with a more traditional delivery.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Honestly, he should be executed.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Soon we will have pitchers with a deliveries like cricket bowlers, sprinting to home plate and then throwing from 20ft away

We need to stop this before it gets out of hand

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Carter Capps and Jordan Walden both do that whole "jump 1 foot closer to the plate" thing on their deliveries and have been cleared by MLB to do that because they do it every time and thus its not deceiving the batter or runners. If anyone else wants to try and jump even further forward (while beginning on the rubber) and do so every time, go for it.

Walden throws (or used to anyways) 100 and Capps throws pretty hard too I think? There was a study about "effective velocity" and because of his delivery mechanics putting him closer to the plate, he ends up throwing harder than Chapman.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

tadashi posted:

He never lands his left foot until he throws and stays within the normal range of a "delivery" while he's moving toward the plate. I think that's how he stays within the rules for most umpires - it's like a variation on a foot drag. It would be tremendously difficult to do anymore than what Capps does, I think. Of course, if there was a sudden flood of pitchers delivering like this and it clearly affected the game, I'm sure they'd clarify the rules like they did for ambidexterity pitchers.

My real opinion is that the delivery is allowable even though it's as close to illegal as you can get. What umpires should watch for, imo, is the height of his hop and to make sure the right foot always lands before the left. I wouldn't like it if half the relievers in baseball started doing this.
His right foot clearly leaves the ground already though so what about the "height of his hop" are you saying should be monitored?

also Puig is ready for.... something

https://twitter.com/JesusQuinonezTV/status/832616201071124482

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The Giants are signing every infielder in baseball in an attempt to block Kelby Tomlinson

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tom Gorman posted:

Soon we will have pitchers with a deliveries like cricket bowlers, sprinting to home plate and then throwing from 20ft away

We need to stop this before it gets out of hand

I smell a Happy Gilmore 2 screenplay.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Apparently Yordano Ventura's Toxicology report won't be made public according to Dominican Officials, which could lead to some interesting issues regarding the Royals paying out the remainder of his contract to his estate or not.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This string of active MLB players dying is really a bummer, since 2006 there have been 8 players who have died while having an active MLB career. That's kind of nuts.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

This string of active MLB players dying is really a bummer, since 2006 there have been 8 players who have died while having an active MLB career. That's kind of nuts.

It did give us the Cory. Lidle thread, which remains the best moment in SAS history

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bawfuls posted:

His right foot clearly leaves the ground already though so what about the "height of his hop" are you saying should be monitored?

also Puig is ready for.... something

https://twitter.com/JesusQuinonezTV/status/832616201071124482

[to Madbum]
"Well, pardon me young man, excuse the poo poo out of my goddamn French but did you just threaten me?"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

#PuigYourFoe

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Cutch on Players Tribune about how he spent his offseason googling his name to see if he was being traded
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/andrew-mccutchen-pirates-dear-pittsburgh/

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

It did give us the Cory. Lidle thread, which remains the best moment in SAS history

So great still.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Apparently Yordano Ventura's Toxicology report won't be made public according to Dominican Officials, which could lead to some interesting issues regarding the Royals paying out the remainder of his contract to his estate or not.

In 2 weeks time:

"no, we just decided it was in the public interest to release the report after all" *adjusts new Rolex*

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

you HIT my PITCH

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Perceived velocity is cool because, people always say such and such pitcher has a deceptive fastball, his fastball gets on you quick, etc., and now there's numbers and stuff to prove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Whenever someone mentions Joe Torre, "Torre! Torre! Torre!" pops into my head and it gives me a little joy

• Locked thread