Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

"you're ruining the engineering purity of the car!!!"

*buys retarded tow hooks, slams on cheap coil overs, stretched tyres on cheap wheels*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I want to let you know I audibly clapped at your absurd and amazing car. May the Gods of Horsepower bless you and keep you out of tire walls.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
"you don't understand! This car has PERFECT 50/50 weight distribution! An LS swap will ruin the purity of the engineering!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk55T0NErIw

That S2000 is awesome, my cousin had a stock one several years ago. It was a fun car, I had no idea you could squeeze a TT V8 into one.
Do you think traction will be an issue? I'd imagine you'd need some big tires on the rear wheels.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Those turbos out front aren't going to be great for weight distribution, but did you ever put the car on scales when it was n/a?

Also do you mind if I put a picture or two on a facebook page?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

jamal posted:

Those turbos out front aren't going to be great for weight distribution, but did you ever put the car on scales when it was n/a?

Also do you mind if I put a picture or two on a facebook page?

Go ahead and share it away. I'm following.

Oh and the turbos won't put much weight on the nose. I cut off about 80lbs of frame rail/cross beam/bumper/bracketrey. The engine is still mid engine mounted behind the strut towers. Every bit of the electronics, fuel, and water tank has been put in the middle or rear of the car.

We had it on corner scales NA and it was rear biased by a 1% without a driver. 2340, about 500lbs lighter than stock

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
If 2 turbos are going to significantly frag with a Sedans weight balance, I think you have much bigger issues

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

Except in that case, the V8 was lighter too.

Ac Ace kerb weight: 1750 lbs
Ac Cobra 289 kerb weight: 2315 lbs

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

jamal posted:

I want to build an LS that revs to 9k. Short stroke, long rods, light parts should do it?

Hot rod magazine made a cool engine with a chevy 4.8 crank http://www.hotrod.com/articles/4-8l-crank-ls3-block-how-to-build-an-8000-rpm-ls-stroker/

I would add a set of yella terra roller rockers to that build list and use itbs with a carbon airbox to allow a lower hoodline. If you have a zillion dollars skip the OEM 4.8 crank and contact http://winbergcrankshafts.com/

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

jamal posted:

I want to build an LS that revs to 9k. Short stroke, long rods, light parts should do it?

Or just put new heads on a bone stock 4.8 truck motor.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

Or just put new heads on a bone stock 4.8 truck motor.

Nah, you still want to start with a 6.0L+ block so you can run the later big-bore heads.

The only youtube I can find on the one Hot Rod built sounds like poo poo, so have a similar but better sounding one (skip to 3m13s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52pNnE_jN3U

Though in a big-money build I'd really want to see about a custom cam and a flat-plane crank :kheldragar:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A 6.0 destroked to 334ci. Uh, thanks for making me do unit conversions guys.

6.0l = 366 ci
334 ci = 5.47 l

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jamal posted:

A 6.0 destroked to 334ci. Uh, thanks for making me do unit conversions guys.

6.0l = 366 ci
334 ci = 5.47 l

an LQ4 is 364cid

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
When I complain about how I have to fit all this poo poo in a 5lb bag I will remember this guys RSX that just friended me on facebook.

How the loving hell

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Obviously Scotch tape is the key.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Did... did he really do a FWD turbo LSx swap? :stare:

Any idea what brand tires and axles he buys? I need to buy stock in them for.. reasons...

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I remember back in the day when some Canadian dude built up his v6 camry and threw a T88 or something on it just because... but that's getting ridiculous.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Any idea what brand tires and axles he buys? I need to buy stock in them for.. reasons...

I had a friend in college that threw a supercharged rotary into a miata. That thing ate more axles than apex seals before he finally put the rear end out of my roommates thunderbird in it. He easily went through 3 or 4 on each side before he did that.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Did... did he really do a FWD turbo LSx swap? :stare:

I'm assuming his driveline is either GXP or SS. Still so weird.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Rectal Placenta posted:

I remember back in the day when some Canadian dude built up his v6 camry and threw a T88 or something on it just because... but that's getting ridiculous.

Everytime people talk homebrew turbo fwd family sedans i think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChZ_GvP_fkQ

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 18, 2017

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Perhaps I travel in the right circles but my build is lame among my friends. You poor souls in AI are deprived.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The TX2k crowd isn't normal, man :v:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
When you've only ever owned things with 4 cylinders, pretty much any V8 makes you drool. I'm not a SBC kind of guy but I would love to stomp on the skinny pedal of your Honda because I think what you're doing is pretty goddamn awesome. You started with more power than I could ever dream of getting out of a 22R or a 3B if I spent the kind of money you have, decided that wasn't enough, and then what you built was beyond anything I've driven (I don't know the engine specs for my folk's boxster s), and still that wasn't enough.

More turbo, more V8.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

The TX2k crowd isn't normal, man :v:

I wish I could make my pilgrimage to mecca this year but making it to texas with a running car besides my prius aint happening this year.

Really though would totally suggest everyone enjoy the night activities there at least once. Though I would skip it for a free trip to Goodwood

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tehk posted:

I'm assuming his driveline is either GXP or SS. Still so weird.

Those were still RWD applications though.

What the hell transaxle is he running on it, if you know? I'm assuming something somewhat beefy like a 4T80?

(shine on, you crazy diamond.. and if you wind up driving through Dallas with the 2k, lemme know)

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

jamal posted:

Someone already beat me to it, but putting a 4.8 crank in a larger displacement block will get you to 8k and 600 hp. :pwn:

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Those were still RWD applications though.

What the hell transaxle is he running on it, if you know? I'm assuming something somewhat beefy like a 4T80?

(shine on, you crazy diamond.. and if you wind up driving through Dallas with the 2k, lemme know)

The 4t65HD trans came in those cars. The GXP and Montecarlo SS are both fwd LS4 cars. He wants to use a manual though but thats gonna be a bitch to figure out a bellhousing or whatever those queer mounted front wheel drive cars call a bellhousing connecting the transaxle

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

tehk posted:

I wish I could make my pilgrimage to mecca this year but making it to texas with a running car besides my prius aint happening this year.

Really though would totally suggest everyone enjoy the night activities there at least once. Though I would skip it for a free trip to Goodwood

Wanna Go Fast (Went to test and tune day this year, owned bones) and FL2K (going next year) are also options if you live in the southeast. If you're in the Tampa area, the people who run FL2K are also helping run a fun event where all cars wanting to enter a car show hosted by I Love Driving Slow have to make a minimum of one pass down a strip that day. Still wanna make it out to TX2K one day though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tehk posted:

The 4t65HD trans came in those cars. The GXP and Montecarlo SS are both fwd LS4 cars. He wants to use a manual though but thats gonna be a bitch to figure out a bellhousing or whatever those queer mounted front wheel drive cars call a bellhousing connecting the transaxle

I was thinking of the G8 GXP :doh:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
The Getrag F23 (2000-2002 Cavalier) and F40 (a couple of years of G6) both bolt to the LS4 without issue. It's been done in Fieros many times.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
This is just so good. I commend you.

At the same time, how can you afford all the parts?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

The parts aren't so bad. It's the $500+electric I pay for my drat garage that kills me. I'm jn the city so it's my only option. It's not bad for a 30x20 with a full sized loft for storage/workshop. Plus I couldn't do any race car without a lift and trailer.

For the parts I started by selling my KTM, aluminum framed CR500, and my Ducati 998 track toy that I was getting way too fat for. Loved racing off-road, but became too dangerous as practice sessions became one man deals as my friends aged out. That got me enough cash to do things right.

Since then I've dumped all my free money into the car. I'm a metal fabricator and part owner of the families fabrication company so I try to make everything myself that I can. Only outsourcing when I really need to otherwise I'd be broke for sure. Oh and I don't have kids or a wife which helps I guess

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Someone convince me my car won't explode if I don't have the same wastegate on each turbo bank. I can't find a HKS Gt2 60mm(actually they are like 60mm valve, and 46mm outlet so they are small for a 60) for anything less than $600-750. That is unrealistic. I got a deal on a pair of Precision 66mm gates for $570 but since I don't have a pair of Promod 88 turbos that is overkill to the largest extreme and I fear they wont open or will not modulate boost at all(they could dump the entire 2.5" exhaust tube instantly)

Now I can run my HKS on one side and a $300 46mm precision on the other, but I fear having each bank producing different power. Am I crazy? I wish I was a tuner beyond my limited scope.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I wouldn't think it'd be a problem with them holding open or closed, but perhaps the rate at which they open/close wouldn't match and it could create some odd behaviour? I can't say I know either.

Could you not include some kind of crossover pipe and run one wastegate between them? That's how Ferrari F40s are set up, for example.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah a single 66 could possibly handle both banks?

I think I would avoid having two different wastegates. I can see differences in boost and back pressure causing issues.

And holy poo poo, msrp of $750 for those things, I didn't realize big wastegates were so expensive. The 50mm turbosmarts are cheaper, but not by much.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 19, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

tehk posted:

I got a deal on a pair of Precision 66mm gates for $570 but since I don't have a pair of Promod 88 turbos...

I believe the answer to your problem lies within your own post.

More turbo.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Rectal Placenta posted:

This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07CU52B5MXo

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Listen to that thing scream.

Also, those power curves. :stare:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Might I suggest trading in the SXEs for two internally wastegated BorgWarner EFRs? Might actually be cheaper given the cost of those wastegates and plumbing the turbos in would be much easier.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Might I suggest trading in the SXEs for two internally wastegated BorgWarner EFRs? Might actually be cheaper given the cost of those wastegates and plumbing the turbos in would be much easier.

so my SXEs are 69mm units that flow more weight than the largest EFR which is the 67mm 9180. The 9180 cost $2850 each with the internal wastegate. So my two turbos were $800ish each discounted a bit when I got them. So while I'd love to be the first EFR drag guy I can't see a extra $2000 per bank when I can get a gate for $400

tehk fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Ahh, I forgot how cheap the large SXEs can be had for, that's a hell of a setup.

Please post more screenshots of S2000 purists being angry about your build, it's the best schadenfreude.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 19, 2017

• Locked thread