Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

tehk posted:

Pretty sure they are using the LS4's 4T65-HD not a F23

The Saturn swap still has a manual shifter and 3 pedals in every video I've found, the videos definitely show him shifting, and a couple of his videos mention it's using a Getrag F23 in the description (his build thread on ls1tech only says it's a 5 speed manual.

The F22 and F23 use the metric 60 degree V6 bolt pattern, which is also used on the LS4, and the Ecotec 2.0/2.2/2.4. I don't know what other engines that pattern is used on, though (I assume all LSs use it). His comments on LS1tech show he's had issues with broken axles, but I'd rather break an axle instead of roast a trans.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Color me surprised! Lots of motor for that trans

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You ain't kidding there! The basic design of it can be found in the Fiero (as the Getrag 282, I believe), so it's a pretty ancient gearbox. Mine feels like I'm rowing through a river full of boulders (always has), it's far from refined or smooth. But it works.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 27, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The F22 and F23 use the metric 60 degree V6 bolt pattern, which is also used on the LS4, and the Ecotec 2.0/2.2/2.4. I don't know what other engines that pattern is used on, though (I assume all LSs use it).

Nope, that's one way the LS4 is special. All the rest of them have the classic SBC bolt pattern (missing one bolt and different crank depth though), which is the same as the 90 degree V6 pattern.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

That mustang got dragged so hard. :catstare:

It's hilarious to see that the races go down in Philly the exact same way they do in Compton, more poo poo talking than racing.

McSpatula fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 27, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Never thought I'd see an S12 in a drag video. Let alone a V8 S12.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The Saturn swap still has a manual shifter and 3 pedals in every video I've found, the videos definitely show him shifting, and a couple of his videos mention it's using a Getrag F23 in the description (his build thread on ls1tech only says it's a 5 speed manual.

The F22 and F23 use the metric 60 degree V6 bolt pattern, which is also used on the LS4, and the Ecotec 2.0/2.2/2.4. I don't know what other engines that pattern is used on, though (I assume all LSs use it). His comments on LS1tech show he's had issues with broken axles, but I'd rather break an axle instead of roast a trans.

The Ecotec F23 has the Ecotec bellhousing, which is incompatible with the "corporate" bellhousing. 2000 to 2002 J-body F23s with the pushrod 2.2 have the corporate bellhousing.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Why do you guys know so much about little baby transmissions? I wonder if ppg or quaife make a gear set for them

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Yeah the Ricans here will swap a rotary or small block into a minivan if their bored. There is this samurai that comes out with a full 10.5 cage and a 4 rotor. Wheelie machine

McSpatula posted:

That mustang got dragged so hard. :catstare:

It's hilarious to see that the races go down in Philly the exact same way they do in Compton, more poo poo talking than racing.

The big money/fast stuff goes down without a crowd, and without video though. Usually less poo poo talking in person than on the internet before hand.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

tehk posted:

Why do you guys know so much about little baby transmissions?
Those guys are GM FWD fetishists, don't kinkshame.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

tehk posted:

When I complain about how I have to fit all this poo poo in a 5lb bag I will remember this guys RSX that just friended me on facebook.

How the loving hell

Wisconsin... we get bored when we are or are not drinking... only confirmed by accent, drinking Lite while doing work (because you have work to do), and the plates.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Those videos remind me of the online racing videos I'd watch when I was 16ish. :allears:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

tehk posted:

These are sexy and priced drat good, but I need a 4 inch clamp and he doesn't make them. I'd do his 3 inch for sure, but I'd prefer not to mix clamping systems.

If you haven't bought anything yet, I'll ask him- he's probably just OOS as he just moved his shop to a bigger building and I know he's working on restocking.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tehk posted:

Why do you guys know so much about little baby transmissions? I wonder if ppg or quaife make a gear set for them

I don't know about a gear set, but Quaife does make a LSD diff that drops in. Several companies make them.

Left Ventricle posted:

The Ecotec F23 has the Ecotec bellhousing, which is incompatible with the "corporate" bellhousing. 2000 to 2002 J-body F23s with the pushrod 2.2 have the corporate bellhousing.

And that's what I get for assuming all F23s had the same pattern. I know jack and poo poo about the pushrod engine (and even less about the J-body, except for knowing later models got the same L61 that's in my car).

Raluek posted:

Nope, that's one way the LS4 is special. All the rest of them have the classic SBC bolt pattern (missing one bolt and different crank depth though), which is the same as the 90 degree V6 pattern.

Huh, today I learned! I assumed all LSxs shared the same bolt pattern, but now that I think about it, that wouldn't make any sense, I knew most LSxs used the SBC pattern. I didn't know the LS4 was a FWD-only application until I looked it up after reading your reply.

What are some of the other LS4-specific things? Wikipedia mentions different belt routing and a LS4 specific water pump.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

the spyder posted:

If you haven't bought anything yet, I'll ask him- he's probably just OOS as he just moved his shop to a bigger building and I know he's working on restocking.

Ask about the AlphaLok in 4" and whats the difference between the alpha and his old 4 inch LPS couplers that are on close out for $85. I am tempted to just go that route on the throttlebody, but if the new alpha lok stuff can be had for 105-120 I might go that way

http://www.lpsfab.com/product/4-lps-coupler-2-0

I'd appreciate it

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

What are some of the other LS4-specific things? Wikipedia mentions different belt routing and a LS4 specific water pump.

iirc the whole front of the motor is completely different

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

really stuck up there posted:

iirc the whole front of the motor is completely different

Because the front of the motor is the side of the motor? The timing cover is the same. Not much else different there. Lots of tight accessories and a tight belt drive but the stud holes and all are the same for sure

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I think I have read that the LS4 is a bit shorter than the LM7 on which it is based, but I don't know if that's a difference in the block, or if it's all in the accessories. I'd imagine the mounts are in a different spot, too.

That's all I know about the LS4!

E: Internet says the mounts, crank, block length are different, as well as it not having a starter boss (since the starter is on the transmission, apparently)

Raluek fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 28, 2017

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

tehk posted:

Because the front of the motor is the side of the motor? The timing cover is the same. Not much else different there. Lots of tight accessories and a tight belt drive but the stud holes and all are the same for sure

huh, i always thought they had a different timing cover

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

really stuck up there posted:

huh, i always thought they had a different timing cover

The casting is different with a little hump and sensor plug placement is different, but it is functionally the same as other dod motors if I recall. You can swap a LS2 cover

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

I got hose, I got hella hose. Thanks to you assholes earlier I robbed an entire nascar team for its hoses and Wiggins clamps for all my water lines. Oh and my hot side is done. Dumps don't count. aircraft wire and connectors/pin sets are on their way from mouser to do a new body loom. Wish I could afford milspec bulkheads but it looks like I might have to outsource a few things so I can't.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

tehk posted:

I know about GM FWD manual transmissions and LS4's because I own a Fiero! Haven't done anything interesting with it yet, though.

IIRC, you can bolt an F23 (the aforementioned 2000-2002 2.2L will bolt up, but I think you need to machine a flywheel down) to an LS4. The F40 is a six-speed FWD that is rated for more torque, but they're harder to find.

LS4's are shorter than the rest of the LS family at both the flywheel and accessory ends of the crank, and the accessory drive is different.

Now back to your regular old twin turbo LS2000 shenanigans.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I dun learned about mirror image turbos the other day so you don't have to have odd routing when you're doing a monster build like this. I expect they charge over the odds for the mirrored ones though!

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Reverse rotation turbos are awesome but they only become available when you start reaching the 2100 per unit range or higher for my size compressor. To get the compressor flow I want I'd be around 5 grand to have a symmetrical set. It would be awesome though!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

To be fair yours setup look like the number 69 so.................. :v:

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Had to break some knuckes to put my hoes in line

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Yay for ebay plumbing parts! Somehow I didn't notice how close those headers were to the shock towers, tight fit.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

tehk posted:

Had to break some knuckes to put my hoes in line

That's just mental.

Looks like an electric water pump? Do you have room for an alternator? looks like it's getting crowded.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

That's just mental.

Looks like an electric water pump? Do you have room for an alternator? looks like it's getting crowded.

Yup it is a Big Block Chevy electric pump with the adapters to work on a LSX. As for the alternator my old setup will fit. I however need to figure out a way to replace the wheel shown there with a tensioner. I suspect it won't be as hard to just remake the aluminum mount with extra holes for the LS1 tensioner. I wish I had the space to run a better pulley setup but rear end you can see the rack is a bitch...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

tehk posted:

Ask about the AlphaLok in 4" and whats the difference between the alpha and his old 4 inch LPS couplers that are on close out for $85. I am tempted to just go that route on the throttlebody, but if the new alpha lok stuff can be had for 105-120 I might go that way

http://www.lpsfab.com/product/4-lps-coupler-2-0

I'd appreciate it

Send him an email, he just restated 4" production this weekend. Justinlinder@gmail.com

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

the spyder posted:

Send him an email, he just restated 4" production this weekend. Justinlinder@gmail.com

Got my Alpha Lock a few days ago. Looks great dude. Clicks like butter. Thanks for the recommendation

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Its great to see some good wastegate placement, mindful of the flow path for bypass. I've seen too many crazy money build cars with $1000+ wastegates on hand welded pie cut elbows and stuck on at a with no regard to actual flow.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

Its great to see some good wastegate placement, mindful of the flow path for bypass. I've seen too many crazy money build cars with $1000+ wastegates on hand welded pie cut elbows and stuck on at a with no regard to actual flow.

I don't get it - pressure is pressure isn't it? It escapes where it can when it's allowed or it makes it's way out?
Or are you talking about the plumbing in relation to exhaust pulses and all that black magic?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Pressurized air is a fluid and subject to fluid flow restrictions. Might be a faster flowing fluid at 30psid, but the physics are still there.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Pressurized air is a fluid and subject to fluid flow restrictions. Might be a faster flowing fluid at 30psid, but the physics are still there.

Black magic - got it thanks

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Exhaust flowing through smooth transitions better than a sharp bend isn't really black magic.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

You want the path for the gates to be more desirable than the turbine. If the gate isnt prioritized you will get more residual flow thru the turbine causing more boost to be created. It isnt like the turbine has a brake on it to prevent it from generating boost and forcing the gas out the gates. The turbine takes very little pressure to spin so having a gate open and badly positioned makes a turbine a valid path for the exhaust gas. If the Gate is placed well you only get a bit of residual spin.

tehk fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 11, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

extreme_accordion posted:

Black magic - got it thanks

Yep, lots of them you see online are installed perpendicular to the flow path which "works" but not as well as it could/should.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

tehk posted:

You want the path for the gates to be more desirable than the turbine.

It isn't easy with normal swing-valve internal wastegates without oversizing the flapper and having a crappy exhaust A/R, especially on really old turbo cars. The amount of truly fast cars sticking multiple gigantic external wastegates in bad places (Inside corners!) because the logo won't be perfectly aligned is surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Dude, I live a few minutes from your shop.

Send me a PM, I'd love to check this thing out in person. Promise not to be an idiot Reddit-er.

• Locked thread