Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
What were you reading when you were devouring books?

If it was genre fiction, your brain may have just realized that all of those stories are basically just variations on a theme. Just guessing here.

Not to get all "quit being a loving child and read some lit" but that could be the case. It's hard to recommend without knowing anything about your old habits though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

That's not a dismissal. We just need an idea of your tastes before anyone can recommend you something.

Otherwise we'll just sit here telling you read Infinite Jest or Goosebumps or Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man or Ready Player One.

That's just not going to help you.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

A human heart posted:

those recommendations all suck

You're right. But he's right that Ready Player One sucks too.

Everyone is right!

:dukedog:

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

gently caress it, since we're all just freestylin':

If you want a cool PROJECT type book, you could try Infinite Jest. It's one of those "hardcore modern lit" books, but bear with me:

It's actually not that crazy. Think of it as basically Royal Tenenbaums mixed with an Irvine Welsh story mixed with vague Hamlet references. Among a bunch of other stuff like wheelchair-bound assassins.

It's a cool book. I'm really selling it short.

My point is this:

Since you haven't given us literally anything to work with, we're all going to swing wildly.

So. You can take Infinite Jest as more of a project than a straight-up read, treating it like a big puzzle and piecing it together using the SHOCKING amount of resources available for 1st time IJ readers.

(Check out Infinite Summer and some of the online wikis to read along with. )

Or you can just read Ready Player One: "The Hey Memba Old Video Games? You Sure Are a Smart!" extravaganza.

• Locked thread