Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

9-Volt Assault posted:

Cant wait for them all to die, but that will probably take another 20 years or so.
Can I emptyquote this? I'm emptyquoting it.

System Metternich posted:

How affected were the Netherlands by the 2015/16 refugee crisis? How many actually came and settled there, and how did the Rutte government react to this? Back then I heard a lot about the refusal of eastern European states to admit refugees, but I don't remember hearing anything about the Netherlands. How was German policy in that regard seen/discussed?
There's very little reason for you to go to/through the Netherlands, and since they all wanted to go to Germany, and not here, I don't recall any particular brouhaha or alarmism about how we were going to be washed into the sea by the brown horde in Völkerwanderung 2.0. Mostly just stories about how they were all over Austria and Germany and how that was going there.

An article I cannot find right now (in Dutch) did mention that most of the "problematic" migrants in the Netherlands were from countries that had no chance of asylum (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia) that had come from Germany mixed in with the refugees, and hop the border to extend their time in Europe. Since they get (re)processed here, the authorities find out they've been registered in Germany, and Dublin them back there, which takes extra time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

How affected were the Netherlands by the 2015/16 refugee crisis? How many actually came and settled there, and how did the Rutte government react to this? Back then I heard a lot about the refusal of eastern European states to admit refugees, but I don't remember hearing anything about the Netherlands. How was German policy in that regard seen/discussed?
-Barely
-By doing nothing and allowing Wilders and his lies to fester and grow
-See previous

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
We had so few refugees that we closed down a lot of the places that were opened to give them a temporary place to stay.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

This election cycle just depresses me so very much. Unless something very odd happens, we'll get VVD/CDA/D66 + ? in government and it'll be another 5 years of neoliberal stasis, pension protection and tax haven-ism. On the uptick, if Wilders wins, at least I don't live in Holland anymore.

I really wish the SP would boot out Roemer already; he's just not getting the job done and his whole 'happy Southerner' shtick has been bugging me for too long. I tried to read Jesse Klaver's Audacity of Hope Mythe van het Economisme was it was really just babby's first critique.

On the lighter side, anyone here who isn't following the 'Millenials of Jesse' Facebook page is really missing out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the English translation of this is: "What do I look for in a party leader? Someone who is like my equal, but in reality is my superior. Someone who blows a vanilla vape cloud in my face as he explains to me economics is so 2015."

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2016/02/84503-2/

quote:

The report shows that the Netherlands approved 70% of the refugee applications made in the first nine months of last year, compared with a EU average of 47%. In 2014, the figures were 67% to 45%. But more refugees in the Netherlands come from countries where they are likely to be granted asylum, the WODC said. Last year, 32% of the refugees who came to Holland were from Syria, compared with 19% in the EU as a whole. And 91% of them go on to become official refugees. Corrected for country of origin, just 35% of refugee requests in the Netherlands are honoured. Bulgaria is the most generous, with a 51% acceptance rate and Greece the toughest. Athens recognises just 24% of asylum seekers as refugees.

The Netherlands is actually a lot tougher for refugees to get admission to compared to places like Germany, Sweden and Belgium.

Here's a good video about a Syrian refugee starting over in the Netherlands: https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/474393/starting-over-in-the-netherlands/

Here is the latest seat projection based on a 20 February TNS NIPO poll:

PVV 28
VVD 25
D66 19
CDA 18
GL 16
PvdA 11
SP 11
50+ 9
CU 6
PvdD 3
SGP 3
Other 1

As someone else said, the big news right now is a security leak that has led Wilders to cancel some events. In fact, a Dutch security official meant to protect Wilders has been arrested on suspicion of leaking his location to a Moroccan criminal gang.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-netherlands-election-wilders-idUSKBN1621MV

quote:

Dutch anti-Islam politician Geert Wilders, who is leading polls ahead of next month's election, said on Wednesday he had canceled all public campaign events after an agent involved in his security team was suspended.

The secret service said on Tuesday an agent of a Moroccan background had been suspended on suspicion of leaking details to a criminal organization.

On Wednesday, newspaper Algemeen Dagblad reported that the man's brother, also a police officer, had leaked information about murder inquiries and had been accused of rape and been dismissed. Police were not immediately available for comment.

There is no suggestion the cases had anything to do with Wilders or his team.

Secret service chief Erik Akerboom said on Tuesday that neither Wilders nor any of the other people the team protects, including the Dutch royal family, had ever been in danger as a result of the leaks.

Wilders, who promises to close mosques and crack down on "Moroccan scum", said he would await the conclusions of the investigation into the corruption allegations before appearing in public again.

Here's an interesting article in Bloomberg about the Forum for Democracy, a minor right-wing party that I'd add next to the OP: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-02-22/the-dutch-election-is-about-more-than-nationalism

quote:

The Dutch populist revolt and the rise of Wilders are often described as a rebellion of older, less educated, more economically challenged voters -- just the way the Donald Trump movement was described in the U.S. There is some truth to that, but there's also more to it, just like there was with Trump: A feeling of disconnection between the ruling elite and the people, a desire for more participation in how decisions are made.

Some other headlines, in Dutch:

"Inclusion party" DENK is accused of being authoritarian with its supporters and divisive over its attacks on non-DENK politicians of immigrant backgrounds (in Dutch)

Satirical article about working class people dealing with the taboo of voting for D66 (in Dutch)

The CDA leader denies that he would support a coalition with left-wing parties despite sharing similar positions on social services and labor protections (in Dutch)

The Labour leader calls Amsterdam an "amusement park for the rich" (in Dutch)

The chairman of the 50 Plus party has criticized leader Henk Krol for lying about how much it would cost to lower the retirement age (in Dutch)

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 23, 2017

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Should I be skeptical of this very conveniently timed story of why Wilders wasn't at the debate, and also the Muslims are after him? It seems to re-confirm his status etc at a time when he's nosediving in the polls.

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the English translation of this is: "What do I look for in a party leader? Someone who is like my equal, but in reality is my superior. Someone who blows a vanilla vape cloud in my face as he explains to me economics is so 2015."

That's correct, yeah. But Klaver's 'economisme' is better translated to 'babby's first critique of neoliberalism, but not really but because I don't want to scare the voters'.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Panama Red posted:

PVV 28
VVD 25
D66 19
CDA 18
GL 16
PvdA 11
SP 11
50+ 9
CU 6
PvdD 3
SGP 3
Other 1

am i reading this right, 12 parties?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's a poor harvest this year, I agree.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

TheIllestVillain posted:

am i reading this right, 12 parties?

Only 12 with projected seats, there are 28 running. We are the king of the splinter party hill.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Where's the Partij voor de Genocide? Blow the levees and return the Netherlands to the sea i m o

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Geert Wilders with a fish tail and wildly floating hair complaining about land-based culture

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

All these albacore coming over here, taking advantage of our bleached coral while honest, normal herring are suffering!

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

R. Mute posted:

Where's the Partij voor de Genocide? Blow the levees and return the Netherlands to the sea i m o

Forum voor Democratie is the Partij voor de Genocide, except in a more Nazi kind of way.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Hambilderberglar posted:

Where's the original Klaver statements on how lovely his neighbourhood was?
I live in a Vogelaarwijk, which by the hilarious standards of this country was "terrible", so I can't wait to see what passes for a bad neighbourhood in Roosendaal.

The entire vogelaarwijk program was a wash. There were no objective criteria for appointing them and they were conveniently spread out around the country. It was just politics. I've lived in two. I've also lived in worse neighborhoods that never got any money.

Holland kind of won the race to the bottom when it came to refugee benefits. We didn't get many until Germany got too full and we took in some overflow. Their largest impact was amazingly bad PR for the government by housing 1400 of them in bungalows near a village of 400.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Junior G-man posted:

Only 12 with projected seats, there are 28 running. We are the king of the splinter party hill.

That's Weimar level. So, when can we expect some belgian Immigrant to proclaim himself dictator?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Economisme is a made up word to attempt to talk about the problems with capitalism without using any Marxist terminology. If it was a political trick to make Marxist critique mainstream then that'd be fine, but instead it's what happens when reading Piketty is the furthest extent of critical analysis.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

you feelin fucky posted:

The entire vogelaarwijk program was a wash. There were no objective criteria for appointing them and they were conveniently spread out around the country. It was just politics. I've lived in two. I've also lived in worse neighborhoods that never got any money.
Oh I'm fully aware. I've never had a problem in all the years I have lived in one and I still laugh at the idea that this neighbourhood could be considered one of the 40 worst in the country because it was >50% minorities.

There's persistent talk of a deep seated drug milieu, but nobody bothers me when I go shopping so I'm not sure why I should give a poo poo. I just find it funny someone from such a bucolic little town like Roosendaal is holding court on social deprivation in the Netherlands. :v:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Panama Red posted:

PVV 28
VVD 25
D66 19
CDA 18
GL 16
PvdA 11
SP 11
50+ 9
CU 6
PvdD 3
SGP 3
Other 1

9 seats for the boomer party jesus christ

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014
Man I wonder how long it'll take to form a coalition at this rate
It'll have to be some 5 party monster too most likely.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Panama Red posted:

PVV 28
VVD 25
D66 19
CDA 18
GL 16
PvdA 11
SP 11
50+ 9
CU 6
PvdD 3
SGP 3
Other 1

Fun!

D66 (19), CDA(18) GL (16), PvdA (11), SP, (11), [PvdD (3)]. 75-[78]/150

VVD(25), D66 (19), CDA (18), 50+ (9), SGP/CU (9). 80/150

E: VVD (25), D66 (19), CDA (18), PvdA (11) = 73/150. Paars 3.0?

I can't find any combination of these that includes the PVV, has a majority and is actually likely to happen, unless the VVD caves.
Bottom seems more likely likely but I am also just Some Guy and these polls are probably not gonna be anything like the result.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 24, 2017

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Dutch have the best political terms. I wanna open a restaurant named Boze Burger

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
For burger restaurant based puns nothing will ever beat "burgertrut".

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

quote:

In moves to attract right-leaning voters, the CDA called for the introduction of short-term military service for young people while Labor said Dutch people should be “proud of the Netherlands again.”

Yes, this is what is going to get people to vote for them. Compulsory military service and vague nationalism

http://www.politico.eu/article/nexit-raises-its-head-in-first-dutch-election-debate-cda-sybrand-buma-mark-rutte-geert-wilders/

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

When being a Muslim is illegal in the Netherlands, I'm totally gonna cross the border to get arrested gently caress yeah

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

The Puppet Master posted:

Yes, this is what is going to get people to vote for them. Compulsory military service and vague nationalism

http://www.politico.eu/article/nexit-raises-its-head-in-first-dutch-election-debate-cda-sybrand-buma-mark-rutte-geert-wilders/
Never forget "VOC Mentaliteit".

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
According to the latest De Stemming poll, the PVV and VVD are tied in expected seats, as of 28 February:

PVV 22
VVD 22
CDA 19
D66 17
SP 16
GL 15
PvdA 12
CU 7
PvdD 7
50+ 5
SGP 4
Other 4

Some polls even have Wilders' PVV losing to the ruling VVD: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-a7605106.html

quote:

The party of far-right Dutch candidate Geert Wilders has slipped to second place in the Peilingwijzer poll of polls with two weeks to go until a parliamentary election.

Wilders was on 15.7 per cent, behind the conservative VVD party of Prime Minister Mark Rutte for the first time since November. Rutte's party was on 16.3 per cent, the poll aggregator said in an update published on Wednesday.

The Dutch election is the first of three elections in European Union founder members this year, with anti-EU parties in France and Germany also hoping security and immigration worries will help them to electoral gains that could reshape the continent and its politics.

In other good news Rutte said his party will never govern again with the PVV in a coalition: http://www.nu.nl/verkiezingen-2017/4506297/rutte-wil-nooit-meer-regeren-met-pvv.html (in Dutch)

For some loving reason Wilders and D66 leader Alexander Pechtold were asked what their favorite rides were at Efteling, a fantasy-themed amusement park in Kaatsheuvel in the Netherlands. Wilders said his favorite was a ride that takes you through a dream world of forests, castles, fairies, trolls and other fairy-tale-like creatures and scenes. Pechtold prefers a boat ride with a 1001 Arabian Nights theme. http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/27716693/___Wilders_durft_niet_in_Fata_Morgana___.html (in Dutch)

BTW Pechtold is receiving death threats after Wilders tweeted a fake photo of Pechtold at a political Islamic rally: http://politiek.tpo.nl/2017/03/01/alexander-pechtold-d66-bedreigd-nadat-wilders-gefotoshopte-foto-mij-twitterde/ (in Dutch)

Meanwhile the Labour Party remains on course for a historic defeat for them, even while the party continues to act as though nothing is wrong, everything is fine, and Asscher will be prime minister: https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2017/02/28/voor-asscher-dringt-de-tijd-7048182-a1548161 (in Dutch)

The VVD deleted references to climate change from their election following criticism from climate change skeptics: https://www.trouw.nl/groen/vvd-schrapt-zin-over-klimaat-uit-verkiezingsprogramma-na-kritiek-klimaatsceptici~a401a357/ (in Dutch)

50+ leader Henk Krol has no idea how he could pay for his plans for reforming the health care system, after the budget office said his proposals would cost 8.2 billion euros: http://www.ad.nl/binnenland/krol-heeft-geen-flauw-idee-waar-hij-zorgplannen-50plus-van-gaat-betalen~a9fe03c0/ (in Dutch)

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 2, 2017

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I hate the VVD so loving much and yet I'm impressed by how they can make jobless and poor people think they are a great party to vote for. Left wing parties can really learn a thing or two from them about effectively communicating your message.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

I still don't trust the VVD - they could do another minority government with PVV backbench support and they'd still not 'technically' be in government.

Also, Rutte's statement in that nu.nl article pretty much translates to 'strategic voting my way, please!'

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

The last I heard of Henk Krol's idiot plans was that he had a lot of them, but wouldn't share how he was going to pay for them until after the election. This country is a slow motion tire fire sometimes.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Hambilderberglar posted:

The last I heard of Henk Krol's idiot plans was that he had a lot of them, but wouldn't share how he was going to pay for them until after the election. This country is a slow motion tire fire sometimes.

To be fair I don't get the idea of ramping up pension age during a period of structural unemployment and making it easier to fire people while those over 55 have like a 10% chance to ever get hired again. It seems to me were just making holland a neoliberal wonderland where at age 50 you are either written off as a member of society, or get to buy your 3rd house. It's not stopping people from voting VVD though, so I guess it's what we deserve.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

you feelin fucky posted:

To be fair I don't get the idea of ramping up pension age during a period of structural unemployment and making it easier to fire people while those over 55 have like a 10% chance to ever get hired again. It seems to me were just making holland a neoliberal wonderland where at age 50 you are either written off as a member of society, or get to buy your 3rd house. It's not stopping people from voting VVD though, so I guess it's what we deserve.
Ah yes the poor elderly, living large on the tax contributions of the young who get hired at a fraction of the wages that they once did in a time where hilariously loose credit requirements got them into a housing market that's now appreciated beyond affordability for anyone who didn't buy back then.

The hardon this country has for old people is myopic when young graduates enter the labour force with a mountain of debt, a plethora of lovely contracts and an inability to actually put down roots in those wonderful cities they had the enjoyment of studying in. (fine print applies, DUO will suck up a chunk of your income for the better part of a decade but enjoy living in a vinexwijk or sacrificing yourself at the altar of the ever-affordable "Vrije Sector" and drop 700 a month on a glorified studio of 25m2. And pray to jebus you make that 3.5/4x monthly rent as income, or 40* the monthly rent, or whatever asinine requirements they have.)

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Hambilderberglar posted:

Ah yes the poor elderly, living large on the tax contributions of the young who get hired at a fraction of the wages that they once did in a time where hilariously loose credit requirements got them into a housing market that's now appreciated beyond affordability for anyone who didn't buy back then.

The hardon this country has for old people is myopic when young graduates enter the labour force with a mountain of debt, a plethora of lovely contracts and an inability to actually put down roots in those wonderful cities they had the enjoyment of studying in. (fine print applies, DUO will suck up a chunk of your income for the better part of a decade but enjoy living in a vinexwijk or sacrificing yourself at the altar of the ever-affordable "Vrije Sector" and drop 700 a month on a glorified studio of 25m2. And pray to jebus you make that 3.5/4x monthly rent as income, or 40* the monthly rent, or whatever asinine requirements they have.)

I do occasionally tell my parents that the best thing in economic terms would be for all of them to be shot in the head and buried in the dunes. They don't know that I'm 50% serious.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

I do occasionally tell my parents that the best thing in economic terms would be for all of them to be shot in the head and buried in the dunes. They don't know that I'm 50% serious.
It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.
Besides, I don't think the dune grasses would much like the infusion of nutrients and then the sand blows away and we all drown.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Hambilderberglar posted:

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.
Besides, I don't think the dune grasses would much like the infusion of nutrients and then the sand blows away and we all drown.

I will also accept some sort of Soylent Gouda as an alternative and more eco-friendly solution.

Besides, we might need to kill 200.000 Dutch cows this year because NL is so ridiculously far beyond the EU's phosphate emission standards. So if we already have killing floors set up, may as well re-use.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

I will also accept some sort of Soylent Gouda as an alternative and more eco-friendly solution.

Besides, we might need to kill 200.000 Dutch cows this year because NL is so ridiculously far beyond the EU's phosphate emission standards. So if we already have killing floors set up, may as well re-use.
Is there anything we're not awful at? Lagging in renewable uptakes, energy intensity, air quality and now phosphates too? Haagse toestanden...

200.000 out of 4 million cows too. The amount of livestock in this country is grossly excessive, and I can't tell if it's a tragedy or an insufficiently harsh culling. Perhaps with the revisiting of the water strategy and giving up on the idea of building on flood plains they can return some of the grazing land to a more natural state after they drum the last recalcitrant NIMBY idiots out of their houses.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

It's because we were (up to now) quite good at getting a massive exemption from the EU on our nitrogen and phosphate emissions, but now that the EU and NL are signed up to the Paris Climate Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals, the EC is taking a much dimmer view than they used to.

Have some context:

quote:

Dutch dung overload raises specter of massive cull

A face-off with Brussels will kill half a million Dutch dairy cows unless the Netherlands can this year contain the mountains of manure they produce.

The massive quantity of dung is a problem because it releases too much phosphate, which contaminates groundwater, and the only realistic response is to cull the culprits. A lucky few cows could be sold abroad.

A cull of this scale would wipe out about a third of the 1.5 million cows in the country — a major blow to Dutch farmers, who are the EU’s fourth-largest milk producers. They generated some €12 billion for the Dutch economy in 2014.

The drastic predicament arose because of an exemption that the Netherlands won from EU environmental rules in 2006 and that expires December 31 if Brussels refuses to renew it. The Dutch secured a derogation from the bloc’s nitrate rules allowing them to spread more manure than other European farmers. This was designed to account for Dutch agriculture’s high intensity: The sector can use more nitrates because, proportionally, it produces more per hectare.

But Brussels only allowed these higher nitrate levels on the condition that farmers limit the amount of phosphates they apply on fields.

The Netherlands blew through this cap for several years running after the size of the dairy sector soared when milk production quotas ended in 2015. Koert Verkerk, from the Dutch farmers’ lobby LTO, said that the Netherlands surpassed its phosphate limits between 2008 and 2010, and again between 2014 and 2016. He attributed the recent infraction to a surge in cow numbers.

“When the milk quota disappeared they knew what the consequences would be and they didn’t do a thing,” said Friends of the Earth Netherlands campaigner Bart van Opzeeland, referring to the Dutch government.

Dutch farmers now fear Brussels will refuse to renew the exemption unless they reduce phosphate levels. If this happens they will have to remove some 500,000 cows from the herd to comply with the bloc’s regular nitrate rules.

Yet the proposed solution is almost as traumatic: Kill or sell some 200,000 dairy cows this year so that the national herd emits fewer phosphates.

“There is no winner,” Van Opzeeland said. “It’s a problem for the farmers but also for almost 200,000 cows who will probably die.”

Many are furious at the various politicians and experts who they say failed to foresee that the end of milk quotas would cook up phosphate trouble.

“In 2006 we knew that we had a phosphate ceiling, in 2008 … we knew that milk quotas would end,” Dutch Liberal MEP Jan Huitema said.”In a way, we all in the Netherlands did not act appropriately.”

Verkerk agreed: “Farmers are also angry at us because we let it happen as well — and in a sense they’re right.”

The government was well aware that it had to cut phosphate levels, however, and last year haggled with the European Commission to institute a system of so-called phosphate rights — or tradeable phosphate-production certificates. The Commission rejected the policy in October, citing state-aid rules on illegal government support.

The Dutch government declined to comment.

“He shouldn’t have let it happen. It’s unbelievable that it happened,” Verkerk said of Dutch Agriculture Minister Martijn van Dam, who added that the minister should have done more.

Recognizing that it was facing a calamity, the dairy sector late last year proposed its own solution: Feed companies volunteered to cut phosphate levels in their products, while milk processors suggested penalizing farmers who produced over a certain limit.

The government then stepped in with a €25 million fund to incentivize slaughter or exports, to which the dairy sector added another €25 million.

To work, the scheme must remove some 200,000 thousand cows.

Verkerk and Van Opzeeland insisted the plan would work and that the Commission would extend the derogation, pointing out that everyone in the sector understood the stakes.

But paradoxically — for dairy farmers who have longed for better prices since the dairy market’s collapse in 2014 — a now-rising milk price may well throw a wrench in the works.

“With the milk prices rising again, farmers are not reducing their herd numbers,” Verkerk said. “From an entrepreneurial point of view, very understandable, but from the collective, it’s disastrous.”

http://www.politico.eu/article/cow-cull-looming-as-netherlands-tackles-dung-overload/

We crashed this car with our eyes wide open, it's amazing.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 2, 2017

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Hambilderberglar posted:

Indeed the elderly come in one kind, just like young graduates come in one kind. The kind I know get at least one job offer without sending a cv, but they just might have to shop around if they want a company car or if they have a foreign sounding name. They certainly don't have any trouble dropping a quarter of their income on a nice apartment in the city center. Or maybe there might be differences within age groups? And maybe, just maybe, the current measures are only going to increase those differences? We've gone from an expansive early retirement program to adding an extra 5 years, while companies think the elderly are grossly overpayed, unless they are of the highly educated kind. Guess what happens next?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

It's because we were (up to now) quite good at getting a massive exemption from the EU on our nitrogen and phosphate emissions, but now that the EU and NL are signed up to the Paris Climate Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals, the EC is taking a much dimmer view than they used to.

Have some context:

We crashed this car with our eyes wide open, it's amazing.
The buck-passing is amazing.

quote:

“In 2006 we knew that we had a phosphate ceiling, in 2008 … we knew that milk quotas would end,” Dutch Liberal MEP Jan Huitema said.”In a way, we all in the Netherlands did not act appropriately.”

Verkerk agreed: “Farmers are also angry at us because we let it happen as well — and in a sense they’re right.”

quote:

Recognizing that it was facing a calamity, the dairy sector late last year proposed its own solution: Feed companies volunteered to cut phosphate levels in their products, while milk processors suggested penalizing farmers who produced over a certain limit.
So everyone is aware of it, but it's the politicians' fault? Because feed companies couldn't have loving done this on their own initiative and it's the government's fault for not protecting them from their own shortsightedness and laziness?
I sympathize with farmers over their bargaining power issues with supermarkets, and the dairy price squeeze in general (I'm sure the oversupply of dairy cows has NOTHING to do with this) but they're making it hard to read their complaints as anything but tone deaf whining over the consequences of having gorged themselves on expanding their herd.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Hambilderberglar posted:

Generational politics are, real dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzvEK_l6Hlk

Unfortunately only in Dutch, but for those of us it's well worth watching. Jan Roos is such a bargain basement Wilders.

• Locked thread