Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Hambilderberglar posted:

Ah yes the poor elderly, living large on the tax contributions of the young who get hired at a fraction of the wages that they once did in a time where hilariously loose credit requirements got them into a housing market that's now appreciated beyond affordability for anyone who didn't buy back then.

The hardon this country has for old people baby boomers is myopic when young graduates enter the labour force with a mountain of debt, a plethora of lovely contracts and an inability to actually put down roots in those wonderful cities they had the enjoyment of studying in. (fine print applies, DUO will suck up a chunk of your income for the better part of a decade but enjoy living in a vinexwijk or sacrificing yourself at the altar of the ever-affordable "Vrije Sector" and drop 700 a month on a glorified studio of 25m2. And pray to jebus you make that 3.5/4x monthly rent as income, or 40* the monthly rent, or whatever asinine requirements they have.)
Not even all old people. Boomers with a second house are more than willing to let the last remnants of the pre-ww2 generation suffer in squalor as well. My 92 year old grandmother's teeth are rotting out of her mouth because dental care is apparently not a thing the retirement home does for people no longer able to lift a toothbrush. You don't hear Krol about that.

"lol gently caress you if you wasted your education/first jobs years sleeping in a shed because Nazis forcibly evacuated the entire border town to make room for the Siegfried Line, why didn't you just grow up in the post war era and got rich off reconstruction money like us? Dumbass." - 50PLUS's position towards anybody over 80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzvEK_l6Hlk

Unfortunately only in Dutch, but for those of us it's well worth watching. Jan Roos is such a bargain basement Wilders.
My god he sucks so much. Moral panic over christmas trees while the guy looking like a cheap Hans Teeuwen seriously asks whether or not immigration went too fast and perhaps we should close the borders to the coloureds threatening are values. :trumppop:

Is he on the list for VNL because he's too much of a blowhard to want to be under Geert's thumb or are there some nominal differences in their party platforms?

E:

Asehujiko posted:

Not even all old people. Boomers with a second house are more than willing to let the last remnants of the pre-ww2 generation suffer in squalor as well. My 92 year old grandmother's teeth are rotting out of her mouth because dental care is apparently not a thing the retirement home does for people no longer able to lift a toothbrush. You don't hear Krol about that.

"lol gently caress you if you wasted your education/first jobs years sleeping in a shed because Nazis forcibly evacuated the entire border town to make room for the Siegfried Line, why didn't you just grow up in the post war era and got rich off reconstruction money like us? Dumbass." - 50PLUS's position towards anybody over 80
I had no idea I could dislike Krol even more than I already did, but wow. That's loving awful :(
Perhaps he should do an UMP and rebrand his party De Republikeinen, because they've basically homed in on the same demographic niche at this point.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 2, 2017

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Hambilderberglar posted:

My god he sucks so much. Moral panic over christmas trees while the guy looking like a cheap Hans Teeuwen seriously asks whether or not immigration went too fast and perhaps we should close the borders to the coloureds threatening are values. :trumppop:

Is he on the list for VNL because he's too much of a blowhard to want to be under Geert's thumb or are there some nominal differences in their party platforms?

He is the list leader for VNL, and he can't be with Wilders because VNL comes from Bontekoe and Klaveren, the PVV splinter who left for reasons I can't be arsed to look up really.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

He is the list leader for VNL, and he can't be with Wilders because VNL comes from Bontekoe and Klaveren, the PVV splinter who left for reasons I can't be arsed to look up really.
Decided to look it up and it's apparently the brainchild of Nawijn, after which I discover this gem:

quote:

"In early 2007, Nawijn participated in the Dutch version of So You Wanna Be a Popstar?, broadcast by the Dutch commercial TV channel SBS6, granting him fulfilment of one of his dreams. He stated that "Now that I have left national politics, I can do such things. An additional advantage is that it will keep me a bit 'in the picture'".[14] As a result of his performances at the talent contest, which were met with public ridicule,[15] Nawijn signed up for a five-year contract as a singer.[16][17] His first single came out in May 2007, Hey Jumpen, in the jumpstyle genre, and reached #45 in the Dutch Single Top 100 charts.[18][19]"
I don't think I've ever been sadder I didn't watch something on SBS6 because this sounds absolutely magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMBM-6Di_qE

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 2, 2017

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

If you've never seen it, you have to. It is completely :psypop:

For the non-Dutch, this is a former Dutch MP who first got in with Fortuijn (Wilders before Wilders) and then was part of about 50 zillion splinter parties.

(EFB for the video)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

warning. Brain bleach required.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Junior G-man posted:

If you've never seen it, you have to. It is completely :psypop:

For the non-Dutch, this is a former Dutch MP who first got in with Fortuijn (Wilders before Wilders) and then was part of about 50 zillion splinter parties.

(EFB for the video)

That's old school, THAT is how you do Dutch politics

Interesting piece from the Financial Times. The less formal education you have, the more likely you are to support Wilders: https://www.ft.com/dutchvoting (paywall)

quote:

The detailed analysis of 2012 data throws up a complex web of reasons for the rise in support for the PVV in the Netherlands but some patterns have emerged. It suggests a clear rural and urban divide in the way communities react to the presence of immigrants.

While the percentage of immigrants correlates with the PVV’s vote share in the countryside, this is not the case in the cities.

The PVV has a strong foothold in traditionally working-class cities such as Rotterdam, but struggles to gain traction in places such as Amsterdam. Both cities have large immigrant populations.

Stijn van Kessel, a politics lecturer at Loughborough University, says: “In some cities he does well, in others he does not.”

However, the level of education attainment straddles this town-and-country divide, so that the more qualified the population, the lower the level of support for Mr Wilders.

Of course, it's not that Wilders supporters are "stupid," just that working class people with less formal education are more likely to be the losers of globalization and therefore more likely to blame immigrants and the EU for their misfortune. Interestingly, it's younger people who tend to support Wilders more than older people, presumably because the PVV is a younger party and older Dutch people are already supporters of the parties that have been around longer.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Junior G-man posted:

It's because we were (up to now) quite good at getting a massive exemption from the EU on our nitrogen and phosphate emissions, but now that the EU and NL are signed up to the Paris Climate Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals, the EC is taking a much dimmer view than they used to.

Have some context:

We crashed this car with our eyes wide open, it's amazing.
Reminds me of Danish farmers. They've been lobbying to not have a crackdown on antibiotic and zinc use in our pig farms, and against cleaning up their own poo poo, saying that the industry can be trusted to take care of it on its own. Surprisingly, 50% of all non-organic Danish pig meat sold in stores is now infected with MRSA. Not that this means you'll definitely get infected if you eat it, but you know, they're definitely not reducing the risk of non-symptomatic farm workers spreading that poo poo to the general population.

I'm just hoping this means the EU is gonna crack down on Danish pig farmers too.

R. Mute posted:

Generational politics are, real dumb
In aggregate, the interests of the young and the old are entirely at odds. Old people have savings, but few years to work, while young people have (potential) debt but plenty of time to work. The former benefit from no inflation and depressed wages, due to having to survive on an increasingly finite amount of wealth, while the latter would be better off seeing their debts inflated away.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

http://www.parool.nl/amsterdam/radicale-moslims-roepen-op-niet-te-gaan-stemmen~a4469674/

(Dutch)

English tl;dr

A certain Salafist mosque in Amsterdam is calling upon its flock not to vote, as voting puts the power of the law in the hands of man, and not Allah. Worth noting that there are other (also Salafist) mosques who do not agree with this standpoint and are urging their visitors to vote to help avoid a Wilders win, and some of those that say not to vote say that should be seen from the perspective of the fact that politics has rarely delivered positive change to Muslims living in the Netherlands, not because of any religious proscriptions.

I wonder if a mass abstention of Muslim votes mean Geert is appreciably more likely to win. But I'm not sure I want to find out.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Junior G-man posted:

It's because we were (up to now) quite good at getting a massive exemption from the EU on our nitrogen and phosphate emissions, but now that the EU and NL are signed up to the Paris Climate Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals, the EC is taking a much dimmer view than they used to.

Have some context:

We crashed this car with our eyes wide open, it's amazing.

The best part about these loving farmers is when the EU cut the quotas a few years back I read a bunch of interviews where the farmers were ever so happy. Finally they'd be able to produce more than some dumb Brussels quota, and through the wonders of the free market, not only would they all be able to produce more, but they'd get a higher price as well!

Fast forward about a year after prices have predictably fallen in response to all the producers increasing their production and lo and behold, farmers complaining in the papers about the drat politicians in Brussels who are destroying the poor farmers with their terrible policies.

In short, gently caress the farmers in their dumb faces.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRwwnKPAudg

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Literally every Dutch party since the end of WW2.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

In short, gently caress the farmers in their dumb faces.

Well, it's not quite that easy, but in broad strokes I agree. I remember all the dairy farmers 3-4 years ago being all smug as gently caress about their high prices.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The Turkish foreign minister is coming to Rotterdam four days before the election to campaign for the 'Erdogan for Eternal President' referendum among Turkish nationals here. This'll be fun :haw:

https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2017/03/03/turkse-minister-buitenlandse-zaken-naar-rotterdam-a1548729

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

With a little luck they'll declare him persona non grata the same way they told him to gently caress off in Germany.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I feel like it's been too long since a proper defenestration to be honest.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Ides of March are looking strong this year...

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Grouchio posted:

The Ides of March are looking strong this year...

Half the Parliament coming together to stab the new PM would be amazing.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

https://twitter.com/henkvaness/status/838061417844592640

Fellow Travelers should really brush up on their campaign finance law

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Junior G-man posted:

Does the media underestimate Geert Wilders, hoofdman?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

Dare we hope for the end of the monarchy in our lifetime?

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014
loving VNL what a joke! As if having a Boomer-party with the king of douchebags Henk Krol wasn't embarrassing enough we also get to have a Reddit party!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

JMolen posted:

loving VNL what a joke! As if having a Boomer-party with the king of douchebags Henk Krol wasn't embarrassing enough we also get to have a Reddit party!
You seem to have already forgotten our antivax party.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

You seem to have already forgotten our antivax party.

They're not even the only one. :pseudo: The other has seats in parliament. I would link the website but of course it doesn't work on sundays.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

you feelin fucky posted:

They're not even the only one. :pseudo: The other has seats in parliament. I would link the website but of course it doesn't work on sundays.
Really, are they? I always thought of they did accept that vaccines do something but they still don't like them because children dying of preventable diseases is God's Will.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Is there some sort of regulation over here against signage for political parties? I've been in the Netherlands for the last month and haven't seen any of the yard signs that are prolific during North American elections.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

Really, are they? I always thought of they did accept that vaccines do something but they still don't like them because children dying of preventable diseases is God's Will.

Oh yeah, they don't doubt their efficacy, but the official party standpoint is against mandatory vaccination or their promotion. Something like 50% of them still believe the best way to serve god is in a wheelchair.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

flashman posted:

Is there some sort of regulation over here against signage for political parties? I've been in the Netherlands for the last month and haven't seen any of the yard signs that are prolific during North American elections.
Not that I know of. Check windows for posters, they definitely do exist and usually come with political campaign mailings. I've seen a few myself but the only people who are likely to put one of those up are convinced party members.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

That RTL4 debate was loving terrible; contentless drivel everywhere, but compacted into 30 second snippets.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
D66 has something even weirder than yard signs:

Also I'm considering voting for Klaver instead just because I'm so irrationally annoyed at the fact that the D66 logo isn't centred properly.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Junior G-man posted:

That RTL4 debate was loving terrible; contentless drivel everywhere, but compacted into 30 second snippets.

Yeah, it was really bad, i zapped away after seeing Asscher being harassed by that lady about how he only has like 12 seats in the polls. It was embarassing to watch.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Asehujiko posted:

D66 has something even weirder than yard signs:

Also I'm considering voting for Klaver instead just because I'm so irrationally annoyed at the fact that the D66 logo isn't centred properly.
There's a joke to be made about D66 not being centered properly as a party either.
Glad I skipped the RTL debate, though I did hear Thieme shut down some question about her 7th day adventist spiel with grace and verve.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
I have been out of town for the weekend so no recent updates from me, but it's been an eventful couple of days in the Netherlands...

So, the short version is this: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is holding a referendum in April to turn Turkey from a parliamentary to a presidential system, which would grant him more powers and allow him to basically stay in office until 2029. A lot of Turks have dual citizenship and live in European cities, so Erdoğan and his party want to campaign in those cities (including Rotterdam) to get Turks to vote in the referendum. However, the Netherlands does not permit overseas election campaigning, which is common enough that even Turkey has a similar law (although it is rarely enforced). On March 11, the Rutte government denied allowing the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkey to enter Turkey for a planned visit after the Turkish minister asked all of Rotterdam's Turks to come to the Turkish consulate. Erdoğan insulted the Dutch and called them Nazis and then attempted to send a woman minister in his Cabinet to the Rotterdam consulate; she had to be detained and declared persona non grata. As international incidents go, it's pretty dull with the Dutch being very reasonable and everyone blaming Erdoğan for escalating things.

This will probably help Rutte since it will make him look like a tough leader going up against the Turkish government. Then again, the images of Turks in Rotterdam fighting with the police could just as well fuel xenophobia and Islamophobia beneficial to Wilders.

Anyway the Dutch elections are tomorrow! I'm going to use the Peil poll for 14 March in terms of projected seats:

VVD 27
PVV 24
CDA 22
GL 18
D55 15
SP 13
PvdA 9
Other 6
CU 5
50+ 4
PvdD 4
SGP 3

Rutte and Wilders participated in a debate on Monday, their only debate for this election. They will be taking part in a final pre-electon debate with other political leaders tonight. Referring to the incident with the Turkish government, Wilders called for throwing the Turkish ambassador out of the country, leading Rutte to compare Wilders to Trump.

There's also been an ongoing scandal concerning how much U.S. money has been going to the PVV from right-wing donors here, such as noted Islamophobe David Horowitz. However, it seems that the money has dropped off some since 2015: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/08/world/europe/geert-wilders-netherlands-campaign-donations.html?_r=0

One of the DENK party leaders, Tunahan Kuzu, has pulled out of the debate tonight because of the involvement of VNL party leader Jan Roos, because Ross has a history of "xenophobic and homophobic statements." The editor for NOS News said that the debate with Roos was chosen by a random draw and that Kuzu and the other participants knew for nearly six weeks. http://nos.nl/artikel/2163122-kuzu-zegt-af-voor-nos-slotdebat-vanwege-xenofobe-jan-roos.html

The leader of the CDA, sourpuss Sybrand Buma has proposed getting rid of dual citizenship. He said on radio show that this would also apply to the Queen of the Netherlands, Maxima, who is Argentine. http://www.nporadio1.nl/de-ochtend/onderwerpen/399820-sybrand-buma-ook-koningin-maxima-moet-dubbele-paspoort-inleveren

The above is notable because in 2007 Maxima stirred some controversy when she said there was no such thing as a "Dutch identity" because the country is so liberal and tolerant. I guess in whatever nice bubble she lives in she doesn't encounter many racists or nationalists. Anyway, if dual citizenship was revoked, Maxima would (legally, at least) become Dutch and only Dutch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt0pHmZuDz0

Here are some English-language articles, since the Dutch election is tomorrow and the rest of the world is starting to care:

What the Dutch elections are all about … and what they’re not about https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/14/what-dutch-elections-are-all-about-netherlands-politics (Cas Mudde/The Guardian)
Everything you need to know about the Dutch election http://abcnews.go.com/International/dutch-election/story?id=46041792 (ABC News)
Wilders's Party Slumps in Final Dutch Polls on Election Eve https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-14/wilders-party-slumps-in-shock-dutch-poll-on-eve-of-election (Bloomberg)
Hours before elections, Dutch have a problem: They can’t decide whom to vote for https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.51f9172cffbc (Washington Post)
European leaders shouldn't breathe too big a sigh of relief if Wilders does not gain power http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/dutch-elections-geert-wilders-afd-marine-le-pen-mark-rutte-a7630051.html (Indy)

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 14, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Will there be live streaming of the election results in english tomorrow?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Even though I keep hearing that Wilders getting power is impossible, I'm getting a loving panic attack. I just want all this to be over.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

AceOfFlames posted:

Even though I keep hearing that Wilders getting power is impossible, I'm getting a loving panic attack. I just want all this to be over.

stop arzying, there's no way he can win

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

I hear Volkert van der G. is on probationary release, maybe he can be convinced to do some last minute activism.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

stop arzying, there's no way he can win
Famous last words. Anything can happen now.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Jesse Klaver pulls off his mask and reveals he was Hans Janmaat after all, the cabinet Wilders-Janmaat is formed after just 48 hours of negotiations and the coalition accord fits on a single sheet of A5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

Is portuguese aerospace engineer a euphemism for maroccan shoplifter or something? Because even as a southern european he's not going to kick you out if he magically gets 100% of the votes. We import so many southern european engineers that getting rid of them would hurt our industry a lot. We literally can't replace you, especially in loving aerospace engineering, yet you keep worrying about it for some reason. The absolute worst that can happen is that companies will negotiate your wage down to merely average if wilders somehow blows up the eu and you need that job for a visa. That's what happens to iranians, but we still hire a boatload of them each year.

• Locked thread