Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Look, you all know what you're getting. RTTS (gonna be improved this year apparently through a storyline mode, though its debatable if that's "better,) Diamond Dynasty, Franchise, etc... But apparently the game is gonna look even better than before. Look at these faces!

http://www.polygon.com/ps4/2017/2/14/14600626/mlb-the-show-17-visual-upgrades

It comes out March 28. Griffey is on the cover. You know what you have to do.

IMB fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

well today they confirmed a 90 overall Schwarber postseason flashback so we already know the greatest card in next year's DD

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!
MLB 16 was my first baseball game in years, and I was very impressed. I have already preordered 17. I'm really looking forward to it!

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
so any gameplay details because the last few games on PS4 have felt very samey and not very innovative at all

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Allegedly this season RTTS has a story in it, but the update on that isn't until the middle of march so we don't have much info on it yet.

As for actual gameplay? New ball physics, which may or may not have much of an impact. Allegedly bunting will be harder. I don't think this year is going to be a great leap forward or anything

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

So apparently in online game modes bunting with guys who shouldn't bunt will directly force it to fielders.

They tried to show this off in today's stream but it crashed the game instead

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Dubious posted:

so any gameplay details because the last few games on PS4 have felt very samey and not very innovative at all

The last PS3 version was the best. I'm just not that into it after the move to ps4 for some reason. My hype levels are negative.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
They finally updated the commentary, thank god. They replaced Karros and Lyons with ... oh nevermind, they replaced them with Dan Plesac and Harold Reynolds.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IMB posted:

They finally updated the commentary, thank god. They replaced Karros and Lyons with ... oh nevermind, they replaced them with Dan Plesac and Harold Reynolds.

Never minded Lyons that much but if I no longer have to hear Karros say, "Well, Matt..." eighty times a game, I'm happy.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I grow weary of sports games that trap you in an exhibition game while it installs. Not that I couldn't just not play the exhibition, mind you.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Well, I've really liked what I've played so far. The new ball physics make more of a difference than I was expecting, and the additions to RTTS are nice.

now if only the loving servers worked

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Fun fact: if balks are enabled, you can balk in Retro mode.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
These games are bullshit, they always have Braves games full to capacity.

(Just bought it, can't wait for it to finish downloading)

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Ball physics are a huge improvement.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I like how if you're a good enough hitter in RTTS you'll get assigned to the weakest spot on the major team, so even though I'm a fat as gently caress 1st baseman I'm playing center field.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Grem posted:

I like how if you're a good enough hitter in RTTS you'll get assigned to the weakest spot on the major team, so even though I'm a fat as gently caress 1st baseman I'm playing center field.

You got Schwarbered!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The rpg elements in RTTS are really great. I'm usually a pitcher but I might want to try to become a power hitting fat catcher.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I tried rolling a 2B but unless you buy more points to start out with your guy generally can't hit for poo poo

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
The next curveball I make contact with in DD is going to be the first.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are load times any better in RTTS? Granted last show I played was 15. I love this years but my time has been exclusively in Dynasty.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Are load times any better in RTTS? Granted last show I played was 15. I love this years but my time has been exclusively in Dynasty.

Fast play presentation mode seems real quick, my only complaint is when someone moderately fast is on first base ahead of you the pitcher will want to throw over to first base 3 times before pitching. Sometimes before every pitch.

IMB posted:

The next curveball I make contact with in DD is going to be the first.

Hell I suck at hitting two seam fastballs, let alone curves. Is there a way to see what you did wrong in RTTS on pitches you put in play that I'm missing, like the early/late swing thing? That seems like something people would like to see.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Grittybeard posted:

Fast play presentation mode seems real quick, my only complaint is when someone moderately fast is on first base ahead of you the pitcher will want to throw over to first base 3 times before pitching. Sometimes before every pitch.

Hell I suck at hitting two seam fastballs, let alone curves. Is there a way to see what you did wrong in RTTS on pitches you put in play that I'm missing, like the early/late swing thing? That seems like something people would like to see.

I think it shows up on your next at bat

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Well restarted and started a 2b. A week in got moved to left field.

Stop putting me in the outfield idiots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3K_Lq24eIg

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's hardcoded that whatever happens somebody gets hurt a week in and you have to play out of position

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you get the free cards that are on the daily screen?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is there a way to manually request a trade like in last year's rtts or do I have to wait for my agent to ring me? My guy is a good enough CF now that he could be starting for several teams, but naturally I'm in the Marlins farm system and position blocked by Yelich.

Grittybeard posted:

my only complaint is when someone moderately fast is on first base ahead of you the pitcher will want to throw over to first base 3 times before pitching. Sometimes before every pitch.

Yeah I really wish they'd tone that down. I get that you want to hold the runner, but I've had the AI throw pitchouts when I'm at a 2-0 count :lol:

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I do feel the new hitting physics are a lot better. Authentic ground ball singles through a hole in ss or 2b seem a lot more realistic. Line drives that ground before the outfielders happen. Its not just HR or popup like in previous years. Pretty impressed so far.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sydin posted:

Is there a way to manually request a trade like in last year's rtts or do I have to wait for my agent to ring me? My guy is a good enough CF now that he could be starting for several teams, but naturally I'm in the Marlins farm system and position blocked by Yelich.

I'm curious about this too and can't figure out how to do it if it's an option. For some dumb reason I decided to make a first baseman and he's stuck behind Wil Myers who is the only actual major leaguer on the Padres.

Also, more importantly my guy is in the Padres system.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

patonthebach posted:

Its not just HR or popup like in previous years.

This right here just sold me on the game

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

So there's no way pre-game to see if you're going against a righty or lefty online?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Paperback Writer posted:

So there's no way pre-game to see if you're going against a righty or lefty online?

nope

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
This is the first year you can import RTTS saves from previous version.

EA and 2K just said "Why didn't we think of dat herp derp"

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
This isn't the first year - I know it was around last year, and I think it was even an option from 2014 -> 2015.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
first time playing this game, seems to have a "nope gently caress you mode" sometimes. Got housed 10-0 in an events game when my opponent turned into 2002 Bonds for every batter in the 2nd inning. :downsgun:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

JoeRules posted:

This isn't the first year - I know it was around last year, and I think it was even an option from 2014 -> 2015.

This is the third year, you were able to port over 2014 saves into 2015

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

I'm having a good time playing this game, but I also suck really hard because I have the plate discipline of Javier Báez. So when I infrequently play Diamond Dynasty because I made some amazing loving uniforms, I can never wear out the starting pitcher much and don't score all that much.

It's either a point to SDS or a point to my baseball addiction that I still enjoy playing nonetheless.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

E4C85D38 posted:

I'm having a good time playing this game, but I also suck really hard because I have the plate discipline of Javier Báez. So when I infrequently play Diamond Dynasty because I made some amazing loving uniforms, I can never wear out the starting pitcher much and don't score all that much.

It's either a point to SDS or a point to my baseball addiction that I still enjoy playing nonetheless.

Same, even when I track the pitch out of the pitcher's hand I'm still fooled 80% of the time. Also RTTS is frustrating because I'm a SP but so far have spent nearly all of my first and most of my second seasons relieving on a "temporary" assignment and the scaling difficulty goes from "striking everyone out" to "literally can't get an out" in an instant.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

E4C85D38 posted:

I have this problem, too, so I just set batting difficulty to "Dynamic" and play RTTS. I haven't picked up 17 yet, but in 16, since there was a bug in Dynamic Difficulty at launch, I ended up leading AA in most of the hitting categories, and being a September call-up very early in my career. (I proceeded to hit something like .125 in MLB and going back to the minors the following season.)

Is online still terrible? I really want to like Diamond Dynasty, but playing online has always just been so awful, I usually don't bother.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I find that 90 percent of the time if the CPU gets you swinging on a pitch out of the zone they're going to try that exact same spot again on the next pitch and it's usually going to be some form of curveball. Probably not universal but that's what always happens for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Online is faaaaar improved IMO. I've only ran into one super laggy opponent.

• Locked thread