Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My general opinion is that if it's a term kids use on the playground it's probably fine to have an NPC use the term. So "shinies" instead of "shiny pokemon" and "legendaries" instead of "legendary pokemon" are A-okay in my book but I'd balk at "priority" or IV/EV chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

My general opinion is that if it's a term kids use on the playground it's probably fine to have an NPC use the term. So "shinies" instead of "shiny pokemon" and "legendaries" instead of "legendary pokemon" are A-okay in my book but I'd balk at "priority" or IV/EV chat.

I mostly agree, but Legendary is one term that depends on context. There's a distinct difference between referring to a Pokemon as being Legendary and referring to it as A Legendary, IMO.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Epicmissingno posted:

To be fair about the Shiny thing the official games have been using that term since Black and White. Then again only one or two NPCs talked about it, and even then only in one location (a house in Nimbasa city, if anyone's curious).

I don't think the official games have ever called EVs and IVs by name, though. You tend to get NPCs talking about "potential" instead of IVs.

EV/IV are dumb fan names though, of course Nintendo's not gonna use them. But yeah, the official websites even outright tell you what the best Pokémon for EV grinding are though for X/Y and even went into competitive strats for the RBY remakes.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

EV/IV are dumb fan names though, of course Nintendo's not gonna use them. But yeah, the official websites even outright tell you what the best Pokémon for EV grinding are though for X/Y and even went into competitive strats for the RBY remakes.

Incidentally, EVs are officially referred to as "Base stats" which threw everyone for a loop when super training came around since no one paid attention to vitamin descriptions.
And apparently what we call base stats are "species strengths" though I have no idea where that originated.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Just going form the initial Kanto run, Ash first trades Butterfree away and then later releases him, gives away Primeape, and releases Pidgeot the same episode it evolved.
Charizard also becomes disobedient upon evolution and Bulbasaur and Pikachu both have episodes based on them not wanting to evolve. Add in the Magikarp evolution and the Eevee brother episode and it's clear that Pokémon was really against Pokemon evolving for some reason :colbert: I'll give you later on though

In contrast, if he were in Uranium...

And now you realize there is no Nuclear Tyranitar, or any other obvious parallel.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

StrifeHira posted:

And now you realize there is no Nuclear Tyranitar, or any other obvious parallel.

And I thought I could find no more flaws in this game, yet you come and point out such a big one.

Also I like how Meowth faces his death with dignity in that comic.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
This thread gave me something to read through while waiting out Hurricane Irma and its fallout today and last night. Thanks OFS, your LPs are kickass :)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The King of the Pocket Monsters is too good for Uranium.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Vernatio posted:

This thread gave me something to read through while waiting out Hurricane Irma and its fallout today and last night. Thanks OFS, your LPs are kickass :)

Really?

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

He sat through a hurricane, he can call it whatever the hell he wants. :colbert:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Alacron posted:

I mostly agree, but Legendary is one term that depends on context. There's a distinct difference between referring to a Pokemon as being Legendary and referring to it as A Legendary, IMO.

My Good Friend Arcanine is the only true Legendary Pokémon.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That's a funny way to spell Starmie

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

StrifeHira posted:

In contrast, if he were in Uranium...

"time to send you to Professor Oak's for the rest of your life"

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That's a funny way to spell Starmie

While Starmie is also a Good Friend, it is not Legendary, Starmie is Mysterious. :colbert:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Geemer posted:

While Starmie is also a Good Friend, it is not Legendary, Starmie is Mysterious. :colbert:
Arcanine, however, is Legendary, despite not being legendary.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
I'm pretty sure there are NPCs who refer to certain Pokémon as Legendaries/Legendary Pokémon, and it is a phrase that is used in plenty of their media (as well as "Mythic" which is used for event legendaries).
But I would agree that talking about IVs/EVs directly does feel a bit weirdly 4th wall breaking.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

But whenever the game says legendary they're using the dictionary definition. It's a creature of legend that many people don't believe even exists.

Calling them legendaries as in the class of super pokemon boss monsters is extremely fan jargon.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Really, it just comes down to "as an adjective it sounds okay, as a noun/title it sounds goofy". Like, you wouldn't grab Excalibur and say "oh boy, I just got myself a legendary" unless you were playing an MMO, but it is still a legendary weapon.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
When people say they're searching for Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster or whatever, they call it a creature of legend/legendary creature, not a Legendary.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
When people say, "I caught a legendary", there's an implied "pokemon" after that nobody says because of course its a legendary pokemon, all you catch in these games are pokemon.

Its the same thing as getting "an epic" in an MMO, or "a rare" when you open a pack of Magic cards.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

When people say, "I caught a legendary", there's an implied "pokemon" after that nobody says because of course its a legendary pokemon, all you catch in these games are pokemon.

Its the same thing as getting "an epic" in an MMO, or "a rare" when you open a pack of Magic cards.

Mmm, that feeling of peeling open a booster pack and finding the shiny, holo card within...

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
I keep having this terrible idea of making Pokemon Cesium out of the ashes of Uranium. The project would consist of the following:

- Ripping out huge chunks that are completely irredeemable (such as the quiz for getting your starter, which is just the tip of the iceberg)
- Nuclear type stays as it is, because to change it to be less bad would be just changing it to be Shadow Pokemon.
- Change the story so that CURIE appears way earlier and is defeated before the 8th gym. It would probably be revealed that she's your mother before your last battle with her/Urayne.
- Removing a bunch of the fakemons and replacing them with real mons (Linkite for Heatran maybe? There's so many to just remove)
- The power stations don't actually melt down/get destroyed, they are simply attacked, and Urayne has been the catalyst for making Nuclear Pokemon all along
- Get the watering can in the first town just out of spite

I feel like there's more to be done, but right now I refuse to commit that much brain power to Uranium. It's also a pretty pointless project, but then again so was Uranium, so at least I'd be working to the same tune as the original?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Trying to fix Pokemon Uranium would require so much work and effort that you would be better off just making your own Pokemon fangame.

Is there even a postgame left outside of the watering can and telling Actan to shut up and get back in the ball?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Didn't Nintendo adopt the term "Eeveelutions" from the fan community? I know the fans made that term and I feel like I definitely seen reference to it at least from official Nintendo sources.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Roro posted:

Didn't Nintendo adopt the term "Eeveelutions" from the fan community? I know the fans made that term and I feel like I definitely seen reference to it at least from official Nintendo sources.

It was used in the TCG and in a Ranger game.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

the Orb of Zot posted:

Trying to fix Pokemon Uranium would require so much work and effort that you would be better off just making your own Pokemon fangame.

Is there even a postgame left outside of the watering can and telling Actan to shut up and get back in the ball?

I feel like reborn at least had more interesting ideas in regard to being a reclamation project.
Reborn is frustrating because I really want to buy into their 'metropolitan pokemon ecology' thing but holy poo poo all the other stuff can gently caress right off.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone have that picture of a bunch of fake pokemon that included "just Agumon with a gun"? It was posted in this thread somewhere, but I lost it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

Does anyone have that picture of a bunch of fake pokemon that included "just Agumon with a gun"? It was posted in this thread somewhere, but I lost it.

Don't say I never did nothing for you.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bigger

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mawuh will always be the best pokeyman

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

dis astranagant posted:

Mawuh will always be the best pokeyman

Mawuh is a good cop that just is badly effected by his crippling alcoholism.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Testekill posted:

Mawuh is a good cop that just is badly effected by his crippling alcoholism.

But without that alcoholism, how would he get his Rum Power?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
AA Power is when he mega-evolves and the gun becomes his head.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

No, Mawuh's mega evolution is Agumon holding two guns.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The thing to remember about this listing is that it was created by a neural network (just the names/abilities, not the art of course).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Stick Hat Staropter is uncompetitive and damaging to the metagame. It should be banned to Ubers.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pshaw, we already know Mawuh's canon evolution.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

nah nah that's its Cannon Evolution

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Several things are open at Victory Road, since it has several waterfalls.

First is this one in a cave, indicated by this early shot of the pop-up for the climbing pick that makes it look off-center.

There's a garden with two people here, asking for help with the flo-

Or maybe a double battle. Sure.

Despite having the same class name, internally Sol and Adam are different classes. A trainer's sprite is determined by class in Pokemon Essentials.

So if I set Tiko to Apocalypse, he'd appear as CURIE. Kinda fitting with that Inflagetah. Class determines battle music, as well. These two both individually have EliteBattle.ogg, the music from the championship. So did Adam. It also determines the payout and relative skill of the AI.

Anyway this is a double battle, and I have the advantage re. scarfed Nucleon and Mega Electruxo.

Not that the two don't try. They are indeed two seperate trainers and each get their own mega evolution.

shut the gently caress up sol i swear to god

Anyway we finally have the watering can and can grow berries with any efficiency.

This pond isn't just decorative! For example, it doesn't jive with the surfboard animation!

Oh and another waterfall.

It leads to Acty's lair.

It's level 80 like before, but it's not nuclear. Actan's regular typing is steel/dark.

Duke Nukem blasts apart into chunks. It doesn't really do much, intimidate and steel-type and all.

Zapmander has a x4 steel resistance, making Metal Cruncher a tickle.

And Static kicks in.

Goddamn I'm so sorry I ever fooled around with that harlot Porkyus, you're the only broken-rear end mega-evolving water-type for me, Zapmander.

Actan's a little less fat than his bro, but not enough to stop Heavy Balls from absorbing it.

It's a squirrel.

If you squint.

25 left to go. But at 175 we hit the penultimate reward.

This makes more babies happen. The finer math requires understanding the mod256 calls the game makes and it's all rather fruitless and not very entertaining compared to "makes more babies happen".

I also have a Lavent, with Magma Armor, for making eggs hatch twice.

And Duplicat can gently caress anything that can gently caress, as it has Ditto's omnisexual powers.

Basically this is a lot of pre-evolutions and branching evolutions resolved. Not as bad as X/Y's pokedex. Whew.

For the next few, we're going to have to do something weird.

For unclear reasons, Pokemon Uranium has mystery gifts! This includes Spritzee's two evolution items!

Well, I've put it off long enough, but Uranium has five trade evolutions. I got one off of the GTS, but the other four we'll have to enter the maelstrom.

I mean the game doesn't become inactive in the background (this is 38% of my file's time) so I don't know what the heck.

Uh, here's the lobby. Since you're on a computer to even be playing this you can just hit up someone on twitter DMs or whatever to send your ID and receive one.

Considering how close these are sequentially, I... I am not even going to guess. Giving an RPG Maker XP production actual online features is incredible, and having fan-run servers more so, even if they do feel like jank that's going to shudder apart at any moment.

Wow! I found a real fricker! I'm so used to finding synthetic frickers that I gave up hope!

This is actually fellow goon Xavier Genisi, who for reasons unknown willingly agreed to help!

...I forgot to bring them. I'm used to how trading has worked for the 3ds games, where you can just pick anything from your team or your boxes, and wonder trading let me get things from boxes.

Okay here are the four things that matter, after trading over My Fursona to ensure that trades did, in fact, work.

Because I'm the OT of both things, it lists my character's name twice.

And after that trade it kicks me out.

And it doesn't quite communicate that Genisi is busy with the trade evolutions and makes me wait out the timer, which is another jank element.

Eventually I get the trades back, all evolved and everything.

Xenoqueen is as much a glass cannon as every other nuclear-type is, only having Fallout to really set itself apart.

This includes finally, after so long, having my own Chainite.

130 base attack, STAB Sucker Punch and Pursuit, Shadow Tag. It traps and the only type immune to trapping is snared on immense Pursuits discouraging it. It's mediocre in every other regard, but trapping with some seriously beefy priority is scary regardless.

Aromatisse is the same as the official games. Uranium's janky dex makes it the best Trick Room setter, except maybe S51-A or Winotinger. Or maybe Antarki since it's the only one not dunked by Inflagetah or Tracton.

Miasmedic about is the same except it'd be simultaneously better and worse, as a result of its Poison typing and relatively big Gunk Shot or Poison Jab with 50% poisons, but worse defenses. Miasmedic seems to be the result of wanting to hammer that plague doctor mask thing Spritzee and Aromatisse kinda have in way too hard, and beyond making it poison/fairy and making its attack bigger than its special attack, they forgot to do much with it. Its movepool is basically Aromatisse's with a few poison moves taped on.

Thanks to that, I'm at 189. It's definitely a lot, very close to the end, but that's as far as I can get in-game.

But who says I'm stuck with that? If the game tries to stop me, I can edit the game!

And thus, besides cheap rare candies, my other meaningful edit to Uranium for the purpose of this Let's Play. Route 1's encounter tables are now stuffed with the remaining entities in Uranium.

For example, this loving thing and not in a surprise event at level 90, jesus.

Even these get nicknames.

Also, the other fossil.

This is how you make a Pokemon name, Uranium devs!

This is about as good of a reason as you get as to why the punks were in an event at the PC.

heh

heh heh

In order for Adam's cameo to work, Gengar is a fully coded Pokemon. It's exactly the same as normal.

This is its Emerald pokedex entry, verbatim.

Frostifant becomes possibly the closest Uranium itself gets to a good name. It doesn't make a good Pokemon, because Ice/Rock is atrociously bad.

...Uh

Well

um

I

It's a fusion of Plusle and Articuno, and I

you see

er

Uranium's mythic Pokemon, base 100s all around, Ice/Electric typing that'll only get by on the grace of God and its offensive presence, something I shouldn't have.

Also I touched the fishing encounters, mostly to put in more things I shouldn't have.

The river legends have sprites, stats, and level up moves defined, but not much else.

Baitatao is a beefy fire/water guy and those are almost always worth it.

Leviathao WONT GET loving CAUGHT

The big fucko is water/ice which is almost never worth it.

And last is Krakanao, who has decent typing and the stats to back it up, especially since there's a 99% chance it'll get Knock Off from tutors once it has defined tutor moves.

I'd compare it to Wrexial, The Risen Deep but you only know that's a Magic: The Gathering card from this sentence.

The river legends are further along than the literal Yin and Yang, who are just names, types, base stats, and pokedex.

Really, really dumb pokedex.

They do technically have sprites, in that there's technically 198.png and 199.png, but they're 80x80 pieces of transparency, effectively nothing.

Well since they don't display anything, I'm free to doodle whatever I want here.

Mutios is a bigger pain, because it's a ghost and immune to False Swipe normally. Without proper moves defined, they only know Atomic Punch, for reasons I am not going to speculate on. It takes several tries to get its 3 catch rates (out of 255) to cooperate.

Zephy, the river legends, and literal yinyang don't have box sprites, either.

And they lack back sprites. So I guess that the absence of a sprite means the game displays 000.png or 000b.png, the b being how the backsprites are internally marked.

Anyway, if you counted, that's 11 Pokemon, getting me to 200! But there's 201! Who's the missing guy? No reward for guessing right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that zephy pokemon literally started as a doodle the creator made and had put on deviantart years ago so i suppose at the very least they're consistent about it

• Locked thread