Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Garlikid's design speaks to me on an advanced level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tired Moritz posted:

I love that Garlic pokemon. Reminds me of Onion Kid/Duelle in Legend of Mana.

That is quite the insult to LoM's gorgeous art.

I mean, really? Really?

fake edit: found this while searching for Garlikid

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Having seen Tietuesday's stream by now
I cant see Garlikid as OnepunchMan

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The pokemon speech translator is stupid as gently caress

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Alacron posted:

That is quite the insult to LoM's gorgeous art.

I mean, really? Really?

fake edit: found this while searching for Garlikid

they both have onion/garlic on their head. good enough

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

GeneX posted:

The pokemon speech translator is stupid as gently caress

Funnily enough, I remember reading somewhere that Game Freak were considering putting in that exact feature pretty early on in the series. There's a nod to it in RSE and ORAS, and the Rotomdex is functionally the same sort of idea.

It's a goofy concept that further removes the idea of Pokemon from having a fantasy animal ecology though, so I see why they never decided to go through with it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tired Moritz posted:

I love that Garlic pokemon. Reminds me of Onion Kid/Duelle in Legend of Mana.

LETS GET DANGEROUS

so nuzlocke runs are weird variant runs based on some dumb webcomic wherein 1) you can only catch the first wild pokemon you encounter in a given area 2) any pokemon that faint are unusable.

And Uranium gives us EXTRA OPTIONS FOR MAXIMUM HARD

But the legendary warrior chumpy can handle any amount of danger!

The legendary warrior Chumpy is taking green options in the exam!

You know, since I can't ensure a Barewl in Route 2 or in Passage Cave, I have to take this Steel type to null poison and resist Felunge's scratches.

That it's this astroturf cat is incidental.

:getin:

Bamb'o gives the same speech to Theo regardless of which starter you pick.

In this case, he gets the one weak to grass.

OFSelects: Tame Impala: Be Above It

wait

why

doesn't

the cat have a grass move?

This is a bit of a problem since we're barely matching it in the damage race and Eletux is faster.

Oh christ that's right it can do that.

All PUSSYMASHER has is Battle Armor, but being hit with criticals is not the problem!

Oh

right

I turned those off

So by taking the grass starter, I've been forced into a losing damage race because I only have Scratch for offense and it triggers Static.

I'd be glad to get a game over here but the game continues even if I lose.

Theo gloats like the goddamn child he is.

And Bamb'o mocks me.

That really hurts you know! :qq:

Oh right this is Nuzlocke mode, so PUSSYMASHER is dead. He's completely deceased. He's loving dead. DEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAD

Cameron I gotta be honest because my late orchynx loving sucked. :qq:

Cameron at least complements his son instead of mocking me more.

Theo is of course a little poo poo.

Then the game aggressively rerails itself back to normal.

I can still use that free rare candy on PUSSYMASHER's remains.

So, uh, I have no living Pokemon.

Against Tath there it softlocks with this runtime error. I have no way around her. Maybe I could catch something?

Nope. Similar runtime error.

So that was the adventure of the legendary warrior Chumpy and their useless-rear end cat PUSSYMASHER.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 8, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like how the anime sometimes had psychic pokemon or legendaries (or meowth) able to communicate with people and then had them act as interpreters for pokemon. it allowed for some communication without removing the animal aspect of it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Alas, poor PUSSYMASHER, you were too good for this poorly coded world.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I actually kind of like that it has Nuzlocke stuff coded into the game, it's just a shame they forgot to add in any checks whatsoever to see if all your pokemon are dead

Oh and also lol that the grass starter is pretty much not a usable choice if you use challenge options

Two things that you'd think would both come up really quickly in playtesting

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Garlikid.

:psyduck:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

loquacius posted:

Two things that you'd think would both come up really quickly in playtesting

I think we've identified the problem. I doubt this was playtested, and if it were, I'm pretty sure the devs disregarded all negative feedback.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

9 years.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

I think we've identified the problem. I doubt this was playtested, and if it were, I'm pretty sure the devs disregarded all negative feedback.

My bet is still on "nursing decades-long grudge against grass starter after losing to playground friend as a kid."

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Geez, give the poor cat Vine Whip or Absorb or something! I guess Leafage wasn't a thing yet, but that's why it was invented.

Endorph posted:

sadly they're all single-forms, which is a shame because that's also a great name
Little late but this is not ENTIRELY true; some of the CAPs have previous forms (Tomohawk does, for instance). They're all final forms though, and Krillowatt's a standalone.

The Garlikid/Pokémon Translator thing could be neat in a good game but I will be shocked if this game pulls it off well.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Straight White Shark posted:

My bet is still on "nursing decades-long grudge against grass starter after losing to playground friend as a kid."

In all fairness, if I were to design a Pokemon game, I'd give all psychic types dumpster stats and also if you ever use one your handheld lights on fight and punches you in the nose

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

inthesto posted:

In all fairness, if I were to design a Pokemon game, I'd give all psychic types dumpster stats and also if you ever use one your handheld lights on fight and punches you in the nose

One of the things I like is that mewtwo has consistently been a top pokemon in every generation.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The Golux posted:

Geez, give the poor cat Vine Whip or Absorb or something! I guess Leafage wasn't a thing yet, but that's why it was invented.

Little late but this is not ENTIRELY true; some of the CAPs have previous forms (Tomohawk does, for instance). They're all final forms though, and Krillowatt's a standalone.

The Garlikid/Pokémon Translator thing could be neat in a good game but I will be shocked if this game pulls it off well.

Garlikid's entire shtick seems ripped from N, just changed "guy who can speak with pokemon" to "science to speak with pokemon who uses other pokemon". I'm guessing every time we run into him from now on will be using 2-4 of the local pokemon, there will probably be a scene where he rags on the professor, etc
The real question: will garlikid raise his garlic castle around the pokemon league and challenge us as champion

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
No, no, it's not Garlic Kid, it's Garlic Boy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tunicate posted:

One of the things I like is that mewtwo has consistently been a top pokemon in every generation.

Yeah, Mewtwo would still be basically impossible to counter if it only had about 8 moveslots :v:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Having an antagonist of a game be a Pokémon seems really bizzare considering how the main series consistently treats the Human and Pokémon relationship as, at the very least, a good thing.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I am starting to see and agree with some of the problems with these designs as someone who gave up after Silver and Gold thanks to one legged owl thing and Spinerak from beast Wars.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, Mewtwo would still be basically impossible to counter if it only had about 8 moveslots :v:

You say that like a joke, but there's a pokemon based TRPG system, and there's an Ability in that which grants the pokemon 3 extra move slots. (Metagross has it. It's utterly disgusting.)

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
That the game breaks itself that quickly with one of the three starters in a provided mode is hilaaarious

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

ZeusCannon posted:

That the game breaks itself that quickly with one of the three starters in a provided mode is hilaaarious

Reminds me a little of Phantasy Star 3 when you put it like that...

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Still can't believe they gave one of the starter's Static while thinking loving Battle Armour was a good counterpart for the other one. What's the fire-type starter's ability?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ZeroCount posted:

Still can't believe they gave one of the starter's Static while thinking loving Battle Armour was a good counterpart for the other one. What's the fire-type starter's ability?

Flame Body, which is 30% burn on contact.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Flame Body, which is 30% burn on contact.

You think they would have given the grass starter Effect Spore to complete the theme, at the very least. Not that these abilities are a good idea for any starter to have as a regular ability.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Herr Tog posted:

I am starting to see and agree with some of the problems with these designs as someone who gave up after Silver and Gold thanks to one legged owl thing and Spinerak from beast Wars.

Hoothoot has a second leg that is only sometimes visible.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Rangpur posted:

Kool Animal Factizzles: not only is eucalyptus poisonous to just about everything other than Koalas, it's also complete garbage nutrition-wise. Koalas preserve their ecological niche p. much by being the only animal that can live off the stuff. Of course it's not a diet that allows for much activity, which is why they're such lazy little shits. Stupid entitled drop bears.

They go like loving greased lightning on the ground though. Like they loving gun it.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AweStriker posted:

Hoothoot has a second leg that is only sometimes visible.

Child memory fails again. did it's evo have two legs as well?

Dr. Fetus posted:

You think they would have given the grass starter Effect Spore to complete the theme, at the very least. Not that these abilities are a good idea for any starter to have as a regular ability.

#playtesting

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

Reminds me a little of Phantasy Star 3 when you put it like that...

It sort of speaks to the limitations the guys at Sega were dealing with at the time that they could program in an entire sequence of the king telling you you hosed up and to reset the game, but they couldn't just program it so you can't use an escapipe at that moment, or even making it so the shop only sells escapipes after you get out of the basement (or even just make it so you need to reach the second town to buy escapipes). I dunno, maybe they left it in intentionally as a little joke scene for the wiseasses who try it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Herr Tog posted:

#playtesting

Yes. It's evo is basically just an owl.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Herr Tog posted:

Nah, your child memory is pretty good. I think all of the pictures of Hoothoot back at the time only showed one of its legs.

And its evolution is just "stern looking owl" so yeah, it has two legs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Herr Tog posted:

Standing on one leg is just a thing birds sometimes do. I dunno if owls are particularly known for doing it, but since they're lazy skycats I imagine it probably is.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 9, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

apply firestone to garlikid for a delicious addition to almost any meal

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I only played the original Red/Blue (and didn't have the patience to get past my first Zubat in either of those), but didn't the starters in those only have their basic tackle/scratch moves at the beginning as well?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Seyser Koze posted:

I only played the original Red/Blue (and didn't have the patience to get past my first Zubat in either of those), but didn't the starters in those only have their basic tackle/scratch moves at the beginning as well?

Yes, this was the case for all starters until the release of X and Y, which gave them a move that was the same type as them.

Of course in Uranium, they gave the Water and Fire starters those moves, but didn't bother giving the Grass starter such a move for some reason. Which led to the issue in OFS' latest update.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 9, 2017

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

Yeah. Until XY, all starters only had a basic attack and some stat up/down attack (Growl, Leer, Withdraw etc).

But XY-on made sure to give all of the starters their special move and not arbitrarily leave one without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Honestly this game suffers the most from sticking to pre-SM series traditions. Death to HMs.

• Locked thread