Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
When I was drawing up that Ditto/Linkite fanart I noticed one major problem with Linkite's overall concept design, and that's when I realized: (almost) ALL POKEMON HAVE EYES!

For Pokemon with "secret faces" like Girafarig, Wobuffet, and Mawile, you can still see that second face in their sprite, even when seen from the front. Linkite and Chainite don't have this feature at all.

Heck, even blind pokemon like Dunsparce (pbuh) have those cute lil' wonky winky eyes, and Sableye's got its crystals, just like Staryu and Starmie... heck, Zubat's mouth is such a prominent feature that you have no doubt where its face must be...

Basically, Linkite's design is really bad and I drew a Ditto version of it because I wanted to see it smile! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

GeminiSun posted:

I got mad and shat out this Linkite redesign in like half an hour.

Voila. Still a sad pokemon ghost, still looks like a substitute doll, still bound to its pokeball. But hopefully cuter, better designed, and less Banksy. I turned the tears into markings on its cheeks a la Yamask, to make it Look Sad without necessarily having to be actually crying for every moment of its existence, and echoed that visual element elsewhere to unify the design.

Scarodactyl posted:

But what if we pushed it in the other direction?

(seriously though I was expecting something more like this from the description).

So that's what happens when Linkite evolves with the move Frustration learned and a low friendliness score.

:gonk:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Z/O also has things like murdering protags from previous games so yeah, it's kind of garbage of the same kind as Uranium.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Raitzeno posted:

I actually HAD forgotten about Flint, and now that you've reminded me, I remember Mon Colle Knights too. GDI.

mon colle oh god I refuse to google that

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Herr Tog posted:

oh goddamnit how did you get that from that? they renamed these things so awkwardly.

I watched a lot of the Fox Family cartoon line-up around the time Flint was airing. There was a lot of weird, pretty good stuff on there for a few years that wound up largely overshadowed by Cartoon Network, Kids' WB, etc. Granted, the stuff on the other channels was usually better, but I often found stuff like Walter Melon and the Monster Rancher anime more interesting.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

When I was drawing up that Ditto/Linkite fanart I noticed one major problem with Linkite's overall concept design, and that's when I realized: (almost) ALL POKEMON HAVE EYES!

For Pokemon with "secret faces" like Girafarig, Wobuffet, and Mawile, you can still see that second face in their sprite, even when seen from the front. Linkite and Chainite don't have this feature at all.

Heck, even blind pokemon like Dunsparce (pbuh) have those cute lil' wonky winky eyes, and Sableye's got its crystals, just like Staryu and Starmie... heck, Zubat's mouth is such a prominent feature that you have no doubt where its face must be...

Roggenrola just has an ear though

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Raitzeno posted:

I actually HAD forgotten about Flint, and now that you've reminded me, I remember Mon Colle Knights too. GDI.
Jesus Christ, you people are reminding me of my childhood days watching those things alongside Super Pig

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I vaguely recall Mon Colle Knights. Something about kids with colorful hair and an evil group less competent than Team Rocket.

Onmi posted:

Oh were we talking about Zeta/Omicron? How about the fact that they have Ash Ketchum show up as a grunt for the villains and have him whine and moan about how much of a pathetic failure he is.

While drinking himself into a stupor, no less.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Onmi posted:

Oh were we talking about Zeta/Omicron? How about the fact that they have Ash Ketchum show up as a grunt for the villains and have him whine and moan about how much of a pathetic failure he is. How about having an NPC scream about how she was on her nuzlocke challenge and you've killed her Pokemon. It's Garbo.

Oh, fair talk to people who are going to place Pokemon like Pawniard and Gollet earlier in the game... adjust their evo levels. Their original Evo-Levels were as they were because you didn't have them for 90% of the game they debuted in, there was a deliberate level-curve there.

wow I did not get that far into zeta, and now I'm glad I didn't cripes

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Herr Tog posted:

oh goddamnit how did you get that from that? they renamed these things so awkwardly.

Uhhh..

No they really didn't. Not in this case at least.

quote:

known in Japan as Jikū Tantei Genshi-kun (時空探偵ゲンシクン?, Space-Time Detective Genshi-kun)
It's basically a straight translation.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 19, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waterfall of Salt posted:

you're clearly supposed to think the ear's its eye though. And he said almost.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
well we all know the best of them all was clearly Medabots

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

Uhhh..

No they really didn't. Not in this case at least.

It's basically a straight translation.

why did you look this up goon continue to weird me out

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DeafNote posted:

It's sad Medabots didn't catch on, so many games in japanese only.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 19, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

What does that even add other than "difficulty?" How are you supposed to beat that? No Pokemon game ever goes that far with its trainer AI.

Actually Colloseum does. It kinda sucks!

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Actually Colloseum does. It kinda sucks!

This kind of explains a lot.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Zeta somehow sounds even worse than Uranium.

Onmi posted:

At least we got the awesome GBA games. A full JRPG/Pokemon and a handheld Smash Bros clone, both with that sweet, sweet Medapart customization.

DeafNote posted:

Except season 3. gently caress season 3.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Herr Tog posted:

Okay I'll weird you out: Reel Big Fish, the ska band, did the opening song for the dub of Rave Master.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

when you think about the games we got over here I am not surprised.

I kind of knew that since a goon has a creepy avatar referencing the show

it is sadly hard to forget bad songs.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Schubalts posted:

Zeta somehow sounds even worse than Uranium.

At least we got the awesome GBA games. A full JRPG/Pokemon and a handheld Smash Bros clone, both with that sweet, sweet Medapart customization.

Except season 3. gently caress season 3.

The JRPG game is the main series, the picture I posted is from MR 9. I think the last game was Medarot Girls and then the studio making them closed down.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

LAY-ZX posted:

This kind of explains a lot.

To clarify, the game doesn't do switch outs or anything like that, but it does react to your inputs and adjusts its choices based on them.
This is most notable when you face Venus because she uses an attract strategy. So when you switch out the attracted pokemon, she uses attract on the newly switched in pokemon.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

SSNeoman posted:

So when you switch out the attracted pokemon, she uses attract on the newly switched in pokemon.

Wow, that sounds infuriating and awful. "Difficult", I guess, but the kind of design choice only someone who hates their audience would make.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waterfall of Salt posted:

to a majority of people, it reads an an eye, don't be dumb

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Herr Tog posted:

Because I used Wikipedia to look up "Flint the Time Detective" to figure out what the gently caress it was, and that's literally the first line of the article?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And that song loving rules.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Onmi posted:

The JRPG game is the main series, the picture I posted is from MR 9. I think the last game was Medarot Girls and then the studio making them closed down.

Girls' Mission is a 3D fighting style game, as was Dual, out of the 3DS games. The JRPG series is currently ended at 9 and yeah, Rocket Company was reabsorbed by Imagineer apparently, so if there are more games it'll probably be a different studio.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Mods, please move this thread to where it now belongs, ADTRW

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Kurieg posted:

Because I used Wikipedia to look up "Flint the Time Detective" to figure out what the gently caress it was, and that's literally the first line of the article?

yeah I don't get what that guy's problem is either :confused:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Our first new friend for this part of the game is Zapnap, now evolved into Theriamp. She's got a huge attack stat to use Returns and Rock Slides, and she's fast enough to make things uncomfortable.

Our other friend is Superfly, a Smore like Blants, but where Blants was a dude who used the regular evolution, Superfly is a girl (a 1/8 chance but Beefcake did his job) who is ducking the Firoke evolution.

As you imagine, having an unevolved ant this late is kind of lovely but Overheat on the ice route is enough to get her to where I need her.

Lanthanite Cave has a waterfall we can't climb yet, so for now it's just a way to Snowbelle.

Bank.

The first thing we see is some sort of chilly bug.

I hope this pun makes it obvious how it's evolution goes.

If you said "awkwardly stuck in a rupee, politely asking for help to be let out" you were right!

There's this ice/dragon thing that's kind of adorable if you ask me.

A little cute draggo deserves a little cute name.

Mt. Lanthanite and Route 16 intertwine a bit on the way to the next town.

PU-Route16.ogg

This is a remix of the Abandoned Ship music from Ruby and Sapphire, but with a completely different mood. I kinda like that they did that.

It's always hailing on Route 16. Hail deals 1/16th damage to all Pokemon but ice-types, and makes the move Blizzard never miss.

The NPC trainer chatter is mostly about how it's really loving cold. Good Human Hokage Dick Solomon's burning spirit of justice keeps him warm.

It's weird to run into an evolved thing in the wild before its unevovled form.

Anderind kinda looks like a knock-off of the Tas-T Freeze bear.

...Google it.

Anderind, statwise, is just worse than Mamoswine somehow. Mamoswine isn't in Uranium though, so it can fill the Ice/Ground niche without competition.

There's the thing that can evolve into Anderind. It has a branched evolution actually.

Since I got an Anderind, I can just have FrostyBuns here go with the other evolution.

Superfly hits level 45, where she gets a pretty nice move.

Heat Wave is mostly notable for doubles, where it's a spread move. Here it's because I don't have the TM for Flamethrower yet.

Also, a level 45 female ant holding the Royal Jelly becomes the new queen.

It uses Vespiquen's (admittedly amazing) cry but it really should be ALL SHALL LOVE ME AND DESPAIR!

Seikamater is Normal/Bug, which sounds like pretty bad typing but she makes the most of resisting Ground.

Her ability gives her a 50% boost to Fire, Electric, and Water moves, effectively granting her 5 STAB types. That 218 HP is not a glitch, it's intentional madness. 160/90/90 defenses make Superfly nigh loving indestructible it she's not being hammered by STAB weaknesses. Her special attack is a beefy 105, perfect for having so many good moves. Speaking of!

She can use TMs to cover whatever evolution didn't give her, and even then some. She gets good special moves in grass, ice, poison, and fighting in addition to her 5 STABs. Heal Order is still there from the relearner, as are plenty of set-up and support moves. Evolving her from a Triwce, for example, would give her access to Tail Glow. And Baton Pass is in her egg moves because sure, let her do that too.

Giga Drain is like the only thing she doesn't have, but Energy Ball is good enough for things that don't get Giga Drain. I got this TM... somewhere.

A hold item that extends Hail for 3 turns, from 5 to 8. Useful, believe it or not, for teams based on Hail.

Avalanche is a weird move and is only really useful for slow things that want a physical ice move.

Which isn't much.

Sliding puzzles, in their proper video game context of ice.

The A+ good poo poo special ice move. Notable in that nearly every water type learns it, so grass isn't that safe of an answer.

Surfing on my ant queen, trying to figure out where the gently caress to go.

It's about here that Tie Tuesday finally broke down and just rare candied his team to level 100, by the way. I'm still just trying to keep up. Screenshot after next has a level 48 thing, so I'm still behind with a 45 average.

Snopach is the other fossil. Instead of Zapnap's electric death, we could've had a cute but godawful rock/ice elephant.

Alpico is the other evolution for Pufluff. It's Ice/Fairy so Iron Head erases it from the time stream.

While Zapnap's special attack isn't her strong suit, this does allow her to deal a little damage while escaping a bad matchup.

And Porkyus takes the dragon move to the face and laughs it off. Volt Switch and U-Turn are fantastic moves with tactical applications miles deep. Though, the move has to hit for the switch to happen, so ground-types can completely blunt a Volt Switch.

Traction's speed boost is getting out of hand, but Duke Nukem handles that easily.

Hey, you remember Hyper Voice, from two updates ago? How it's a high-power special normal move? And how Duke Nukem has high special attack and turns normal moves Nuclear?

There's a reason we call Nucleon the yellboy.

A dead end? But that item indicates there's more content yet.

So I pore over the cave, trying every possible spot an exit could be. I'm so thorough that I've definitely revived General Leo.

I try going back to see if there's something I missed, and...

Oh, there's a path to the right here, I guess.

I think it's kind of mean there's a sign pointing to the dead end first, but maybe I'm just a dummy!

Heck yes! A gag, but again! The only change is the different circumstance!

There's an exact copy of the dragon trainer from before, by the way.

Trainer Pokemon range from 44 to 48, and random encounters can go as low as 32? Christ.

More sliding puzzles. loving sliding puzzles.

Dermafrost is Snopach's evolved form, and the name is more than a portmanteau for once. Just a bit, but a worthy bit!

These gate buildings are just loading zones if you think about it.

I mean, on the other side is Snowman Land.

Bank.

PU-Snowbank Town.ogg

I kinda like this song, actually. It's gentle and peaceful, kinda fitting this little snowy hamlet. The way it remains fairly minimal in the number of instruments used at once, centered around a piano, it sounds like an Animal Crossing track. The kind that play At 1 AM.

...The dialogue remains the same as ever.

But look, the buildings have snowy tilesets instead of just the ground and trees! It's like they gave a poo poo about presentation for here and pretty much only here!

The 7th gym holds the secret to mega evolution, only giving the power to those who triumph.

There's a dentist here, a weird NPC who was removed for a bit then was returned for 1.1 because who doesn't like move tutors?

He predictably teaches bitey moves.

Crunch a reliable and powerful physical dark move, with a really handy side effect for winning damage races. It's the best My Fursona is going to get.

Ice Fang is a mediocre move that we only really use on things with Strong Jaw or that have no better options. Fafurr does get Icicle Crash and Icicle Spear as egg moves... but nothing in its egg groups learn them to pass them on.

I'll just ignore the bright glaring neon sign that says this means I'm using Fuzzybutt later.

Same with fire fang. For MEGAWEAPON it gives it an option against other Steel-types, which is an important gap in his STAB moves' coverage.

That egg I've been hauling around finally cracks. Luxi is the fairy/dragon thing that was there the whole time.

Past the pillars (there are only pillars near important places) is the 7th gym... and a familiar face.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

If you want an image of the future of this LP (minus a bunch of other extremely broken pokemon, such as Superfly), imagine Duke Nukem riding on top of MEGAWEAPON, yelling forever.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So I pore over the cave, trying every possible spot an exit could be. I'm so thorough that I've definitely revived General Leo.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

XavierGenisi posted:

If you want an image of the future of this LP (minus a bunch of other extremely broken pokemon, such as Superfly), imagine Duke Nukem riding on top of MEGAWEAPON, yelling forever.

"Suffer some malaise, suckers!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Tie broke down a bit further on. Just a bit.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Her ability gives her a 50% boost to Fire, Electric, and Water moves, effectively granting her 5 STAB types. That 218 HP is not a glitch, it's intentional madness. 160/90/90 defenses make Superfly nigh loving indestructible it she's not being hammered by STAB weaknesses. Her special attack is a beefy 105, perfect for having so many good moves. Speaking of!

She can use TMs to cover whatever evolution didn't give her, and even then some. She gets good special moves in grass, ice, poison, and fighting in addition to her 5 STABs. Heal Order is still there from the relearner, as are plenty of set-up and support moves. Evolving her from a Triwce, for example, would give her access to Tail Glow. And Baton Pass is in her egg moves because sure, let her do that too.

Hello, police? I'd like to report some illegal as gently caress activity. This game is getting out of hand!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

seikamater is one of the game's legendaries so i'm not too surprised about it being buff as hell

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

luxi's head looks like a corncob

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snopach is the other fossil. Instead of Zapnap's electric death, we could've had a cute but godawful rock/ice elephant.

Really cool original idea that is definitely not a halfass mashup of Donphan and Mamoswine. :coal:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also, the electric sloth is alright but i feel the idea could have been pulled off better overall. kinda like how sage did with its electric chameleon line

slatic - electric

telsion - electric

chameleohm - still electric

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Superfly is a really cute design imo :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Actually that snopach could really work as an alternate form phanpy.

• Locked thread