Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah it's been that way since at least gen 6, possibly gen 5 as well. Caps at 252.

It definitely isn't in 5, as that's the last one I know well. The highest useful EV was 252 but it would happily let you waste the last three if you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Game Freak has been trying to make things easier on the competitive end, but it does still have some bloat to the system. A Pokemon's IVs can be maxed out in Sun and Moon, but level grinding to 100 is an absolute chore in that game due to using Gen V's exp system.

Uranium doesn't have any of those convenience features, right? How easy is it to grind for specific EVs in Uranium?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Why not take the best of both XP systems? If a 'mon is below another's level when it defeats them, it rubber bands; when it's at or higher than the other's, they give a flat amount of XP.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr. Fetus posted:

How easy is it to grind for specific EVs in Uranium?

Comically easy after a specific sidequest.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Comically easy after a specific sidequest.

Will you be documenting said sidequest eventually, or have you already?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The Golux posted:

At least Sun and Moon have Hyper Training, so that you don't need to worry about IVs (outside of for hidden power) for mons you want to use competitively - you can just raise them to 100 normally and then raise all of their effective IVs to maximum with bottlecaps.

It's probably quicker to breed a good IV spread and get a Pokemon up to 50 than to grind it to 100. Hyper training is only really useful for legendaries and other things which are a pain to breed for specific reasons (egg moves or tutor moves from previous gens, Salandit with its hideously annoying evolution gimmick and other things like that).

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
well grinding was a lot easier once the january 31st/february1st glitch was discovered

does that still work?

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

DeafNote posted:

well grinding was a lot easier once the january 31st/february1st glitch was discovered

does that still work?

The what?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
if you move your 3DS's time settings to just a few minutes before february the 1st and open Sun/Moon, then every activity at Poke Pelago (berries, IV/leveling, cave excavation, beans, friendship) instantly maxes out/finishes as soon as the clock switches over to february

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Niiiice. I should keep that in mind next time I play through Sun.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Kay Kessler posted:

I never saw his stream, but I remember Tie complaining on twitter about an ice puzzle that was literally impossible. Did they fix that, or is that in another area?

I have no idea if they fixed it, but it's the puzzle right here:

See that small patch of snow in the bottom right there? That patch has an item on it, which is -- or was -- completely impossible to reach.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I have no idea if they fixed it, but it's the puzzle right here:

See that small patch of snow in the bottom right there? That patch has an item on it, which is -- or was -- completely impossible to reach.

this makes me maddest of all

because I just loving know I'd have spent hours trying to get on that goddamn island

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Kay Kessler posted:

I never saw his stream, but I remember Tie complaining on twitter about an ice puzzle that was literally impossible. Did they fix that, or is that in another area?

I kinda felt bad for the poor sod that tried to help solve it and got banned for giving a wrong answer before the gang realized that it was unsolvable.

like, they shouldn't have stuck their neck out like that when the stakes were that high, but still.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

noether posted:

I kinda felt bad for the poor sod that tried to help solve it and got banned for giving a wrong answer before the gang realized that it was unsolvable.

like, they shouldn't have stuck their neck out like that when the stakes were that high, but still.

What the hell stakes? Banning for being wrong about an unsolvable puzzle is unreasonable.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Dabir posted:

What the hell stakes? Banning for being wrong about an unsolvable puzzle is unreasonable.

In Tietuesday's streams, backseating is against the rules. Advice can only be given when explicitly asked for it. And in this specific example, the deal was anyone who provides a wrong solution will get a ban instead of a timeout, but if you provide the correct solution than nothing bad happens to you. So it was a high risk gambit where the risks were known by all parties involved. Unfortunately, it just so happens being right was impossible in this situation.
(Also, the poor sap wasn't actually banned because they logged out immediately upon providing the answer, so the mods couldn't find them to ban them)
Of course, I last watched the stream when it happened, so some of these details may be off, but I'm pretty sure this is mostly right.

CaptianKatsura fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 2, 2017

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

CaptianKatsura posted:

And in this specific example, the deal was anyone who provides a wrong solution will get a ban instead of a timeout, but if you provide the correct solution than nothing bad happens to you.

Oh no, Uranium's idiocy is contagious. :ohdear:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rainuwastaken posted:

Oh no, Uranium's idiocy is contagious. :ohdear:

I get the motivation, in that you don't want your commenters to be trolling the players by giving intentionally bad advice. I mean, you've only to look at your average high-audience-participation Let's Play to see how often that happens. Of course, their policy does assume good faith on the part of the game developers. :v:

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

that sounds about right.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Of course, their policy does assume good faith on the part of the game developers. :v:

usually that's a safe assumption. honestly, though, at that point in the game, tie and friends shoulda known better than to expect things to be playtested

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

CaptianKatsura posted:

(Also, the poor sap wasn't actually banned because they logged out immediately upon providing the answer, so the mods couldn't find them to ban them)

The mods. I love that this one guy's Pokemon stream has loving moderators.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

magikid posted:

any twitch stream with more than a dozen or so people watching at a time has mods

as the population of a twitch chat increases the probably of racial epithets approaches one

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

UberJew posted:

any twitch stream with more than a dozen or so people watching at a time has mods

as the population of a twitch chat increases the probably of racial epithets approaches one
Interesting post/username combination.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And suddenly I'm reminded of that one Mod who got ousted for making his boyfriend's fursona an emote, or something like that.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

magikid posted:

Is this like your first time on the internet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

magikid posted:

???

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

This is really good.

Now do the evolution. :v:

I want it noted for the record that I have been trying to figure out how to manage a Chainite redesign since this post was made, and I want that month of brain time back. I hate Chainite so much, the design is like a goddamn blackberry bramble - it's too many loving concepts in one thing but just try pruning it into anything that looks respectable. Goddamn. I hate.

BUT HERE THE gently caress IT IS

I almost completely ditched the idea from the dex entry of its restraints being reinforced. Too external and too :emo:. And I wanted to cut the design element of the ball being on the ground and dragged behind. That left me with "resembles Linkite", "ghost emerging from torn doll", "has chains on it somewhere", and "angrier".

I think I did all right, taking some design and concept cues from a few other ghost Pokemon. And I made one last game effort at integrating the Pokeball into the design in a not-lovely way by turning it into Chainite's eye.

The drat thing still feels kind of overdesigned to me, but it's better than the shitshow I started with.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

GeminiSun posted:

I want it noted for the record that I have been trying to figure out how to manage a Chainite redesign since this post was made, and I want that month of brain time back. I hate Chainite so much, the design is like a goddamn blackberry bramble - it's too many loving concepts in one thing but just try pruning it into anything that looks respectable. Goddamn. I hate.

BUT HERE THE gently caress IT IS

I almost completely ditched the idea from the dex entry of its restraints being reinforced. Too external and too :emo:. And I wanted to cut the design element of the ball being on the ground and dragged behind. That left me with "resembles Linkite", "ghost emerging from torn doll", "has chains on it somewhere", and "angrier".

I think I did all right, taking some design and concept cues from a few other ghost Pokemon. And I made one last game effort at integrating the Pokeball into the design in a not-lovely way by turning it into Chainite's eye.

The drat thing still feels kind of overdesigned to me, but it's better than the shitshow I started with.

I would have gone with a faux-angry ghost thing attached to a chain, but the actual ghost is a cute little Linkite-ish thing barely peeking out of the ball itself, feeling safe in its little home and using the faux-ghost as a reverse anglerfish lure.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Kurui Reiten posted:

I would have gone with a faux-angry ghost thing attached to a chain, but the actual ghost is a cute little Linkite-ish thing barely peeking out of the ball itself, feeling safe in its little home and using the faux-ghost as a reverse anglerfish lure.

That would also have been fantastic, dang.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

GeminiSun posted:

Don't sell yourself short, this is a cool design that looks like a rough draft for something incredible. Definitely better than Uranium deserves.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

We've had like 4 redesigns for Linkite's line in total and they are all significantly better than what we actually got.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
chainite is so bad that a picture of vomit would be a better design

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tired Moritz posted:

chainite is so bad that a picture of vomit would be a better design

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You better also replace its cry with the burp.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

magikid posted:

Sometimes you need a few. I've been hounded by one jerk for months on end and though I only get a few people on my streams, it doesn't mean he won't turn up with various alt accounts just to spew all kinds of ridiculousness in the chat. So I made the people I trust (there's about 10 who watch my streams all up, and I trust most of them) mods and they just whack him around when he pops up (which he's started to not do as much, thank God.)

I can't imagine how other streamers deal with assholes like that with only one or two mods.

-----------------------------
Back on the topic, though, I think that Linkite redesign is pretty neat. Personally I would have gone with an elf-type to start with because Link. But then I'm terribly bad when it comes to puns (so bad I almost got banned on a stream for telling a tame (but lame) joke and having the streamer think I was spoiling the game.
(She got stuck on a horse, I made a kelpie joke, the setting was sort-of European/Celtic mythology-ish so she thought I was spoilering that the horse was a kelpie. I hadn't even played up to that part. >.<; )
My delivery is in need of work at times.)

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 5, 2017

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I don't feel like I've got the art skill to realize the idea into an image, but my thought about changing Linkite's evolution was to largely drop the chain thing altogether and do some sort of friendship evolution where the ghost finds happiness in its new life and moves on from defining itself by how it died and have it sort of mimic you to reflect that bond by having it hold its pokeball like a trainer would.
If you still wanted to do the trade evolution thing it could give itself the hat of the trainer it came from as a memento of you. Of course the latter option wouldn't work with mostly hatless Uranium.
I suppose you could do both that and the chain version by having the evolution linked to friendship level and trade. A more lonely, friendless pokemon staying bound, sorta like how people do free vs captive genies ever since the Aladdin movie.

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

silversatyr posted:

Sometimes you need a few. I've been hounded by one jerk for months on end and though I only get a few people on my streams, it doesn't mean he won't turn up with various alt accounts just to spew all kinds of ridiculousness in the chat. So I made the people I trust (there's about 10 who watch my streams all up, and I trust most of them) mods and they just whack him around when he pops up (which he's started to not do as much, thank God.)

I can't imagine how other streamers deal with assholes like that with only one or two mods.

-----------------------------
Back on the topic, though, I think that Linkite redesign is pretty neat. Personally I would have gone with an elf-type to start with because Link. But then I'm terribly bad when it comes to puns (so bad I almost got banned on a stream for telling a tame (but lame) joke and having the streamer think I was spoiling the game.
(She got stuck on a horse, I made a kelpie joke, the setting was sort-of European/Celtic mythology-ish so she thought I was spoilering that the horse was a kelpie. I hadn't even played up to that part. >.<; )
My delivery is in need of work at times.)

The small group that I do streaming with basically made our own site that puts a completely separate chat (we use chatango) next to the embedded streams. It works out nicely both in allowing us to use different streaming services with a uniform chat, and in allowing us to share moderation duties around.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Is it just me, or does Urainum seem like "A nuclear disaster game that just happens to contain pokemon" rather than "A pokemon game with nuclear energy in it"? The amount of real world things they're forcing in here makes it feel very much not Pokemon. It's like they were going for something like Colosseum/XD, but completely failed to understand what makes those games work. Does anyone know what the devs' opinions on Colosseum/XD are?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Beldantazar posted:

The small group that I do streaming with basically made our own site that puts a completely separate chat (we use chatango) next to the embedded streams. It works out nicely both in allowing us to use different streaming services with a uniform chat, and in allowing us to share moderation duties around.

Any chance you can talk a little more about doing this? I've had some times that would come in very handy, and I don't even know where to start.

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

Kurui Reiten posted:

Any chance you can talk a little more about doing this? I've had some times that would come in very handy, and I don't even know where to start.

All of the major streaming sites I've seen used (ustream, twitch, hitbox) will have a way to embed a player for your stream onto a website.
Ustream: https://support.ustream.tv/hc/en-us/articles/207851917-How-to-embed-a-stream-or-video-on-your-site
Twitch: https://dev.twitch.tv/docs/v5/guides/embed-video/
Hitbox (now apparently smashcast): https://hitbox.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1354469-how-can-i-embed-a-stream-and-streamchat-on-another-website- (i believe this is still applicable even with the change to smashcast).
I haven't seen youtube used that much in our group, but apparently this is how to do youtube embeds
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39204757/youtube-live-streaming-embed-code-keeps-changing

To embed a chatango chat on the same page you can create a free chatango chat and then use the configurator to generate an embed code for you.
https://www.chatango.com/help?help_group_owner#create
I'm not too familiar with other chat embed options, Irc is an option (and there's a bunch of embeddable irc clients), and some of the streaming sites allow for embedding their chat onto the page, which would allow you to use a single unified chat (or subset of chats) for multiple streams.

All you'd need to do to make a simple page like this, would be to embed the player iframe on one side, then the chat iframe you choose on the other side.

If you're interested to see how this works in practice for our group/community thing, the site is http://midnightcrew.wheelofcrap.com/ It is (in theory), the site of a particular streamer/youtuber ZetaPlays, but he does way less streaming than most of the other people in the community, and at this point it is more of a site for the community that he happens to have started. The site is fairly sophisticated in that it has a database mapping known streamers to a button name and chat so that when they go live it will show a button at the bottom of the page that people can click on to go to their stream. This also means that it can support multiple people streaming at the same time. It also allows random people to submit their own streams, though that function can be disabled if people are abusing it. It has various other functions that the person who has been handling the development of the site has added. He also created a java based logging bot that goes to the linked chats when multiple people are in them and logs what is said. This is because chatango doesn't have persistant chat logs that can be searched.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Theo calls the jortsman to bring him up to date, and he'll come right over to give us something.

gently caress-

loving goddamn-

Okay so Gyarados's mega evolution is Water/Dark, but the best physical Dark move Gyarados had in X/Y was Bite. OR/AS changed this by giving it Crunch through level-up. Uranium does not do this.

I don't know if Dr. Jorts means this in the usual sense of emotional maturation or literally, since Theo sort of did age like 15 years all of the sudden.

Theo's dad possibly dying, being constantly turned down for being a kid, and constant losses to Good Human Hokage Dick Solomon have made him mature as a person who accepts being almost the best because, hey, he can make his fire yoshi turn around and make the sun shine even brighter, somehow.

That is the explanation Uranium uses for the power of Mega Evolution, so yeah we have a bond with Nuke-Nuke, a monster driven insane by nuclear radiation.

This is something about form changes? I don't care really.

Well I was wrong. Bamb'o acknowledges that we were captured by thugs and learned that Larkspur killed Mom more or less.

But it doesn't change anything.

Angelure isn't in the game. It isn't the location of the one gym that remains. It was planned for that, but then ninjas happened.

It's ostensibly planned, but the main team disbanded after the C&D and the new guys are more focused on bugfixes and quality of life improvements.

There's one power plant that hasn't exploded, and it's near Moon Wave. So we're going there-ish.

This requires yet another HM that isn't Fly.

Dig but Water, ho-hum. Every physically-slanted water-type in Tandor has picked up Aqua Tail by this point.

Tsukinami has the actual 8th gym, and it's south of Venisi.

You know what that means? Backtracking! Woo! I love doing sliding puzzles in reverse! Just kidding I hate it.

As I vaguely hinted earlier by getting his mega stone, My Fursona can mega-evolve. It gains a hefty boost to attack and fair boosts to defenses and speed. Its ability becomes Blood Lust, that draining thing that Vilucard has. This is fantastic, really. I can get a Moxie boost then mega evolve afterwards to enjoy +1 Drain Punches with extra drain.

In Silverport there's a suspicious boat-haver.

What a nice guy, that's where I need to go!

Unfortunately he says a pirate thing, and only pirates say pirate things!

No seriously he couldn't contain his swashbuckling and let slip he's a pirate.

I'm fine with this somehow.

Pirates use the same music as ninjas, which is a phrase I'm glad I could get to type.

This is a double battle so Duke Nukem yells it to death. New things: Mega Gyarados besides the whole "nuclear abomination" thing. Water/Dark, gets Mold Breaker to nail its nemesis, Rotom-Wash.

Swabone, ghost/fighting peg leg pirate ghost.

Haagross is some sort of eel. Posion/Electric, uses Goodra's hidden ability and Scolipede's sprite.

They have the most generic pirate name, sadly.

Well......

:smug:

I finally checked the GTS and I did indeed get a Raptorch for my shiny Barand.

Of course it's evolution. Camerupt is slow while Archilles is fast, and Primal Groudon is the second best Pokemon in the univesre while Archilles is merely good. A non-mega Archilles has equal offenses but Flame Impact/Earthquake vs Fire Blast/Earth Power is a little lopsided in physical's favor, especially considering Belly Drum, Swords Dance, and Knock Off. Mega Archilles has +45 special attack but a sun-boosted Flame Impact is still completely bonkers.

I forget which day of the week I did this but it has the mega stone for my starter, and leftovers.

I bought the stone and a ton of leftovers.

The tinkerer's new item is the surfboard, which replaces Surf's out-of-battle function. Surf is at least a good move.

Unlike Dive.

Also Dick Solomon fuckin' surfs.

So My Fursona is now a woman with special attacks.

At least it still deals physical damage, right?

Just kidding, it's my own Dramsama, The Queen!

The Dramsamaite I got over a dozen updates ago goes to this thing. Since Illusion is one-and-done replacing it with a new ability is fine, and having a ton more special attack and speed is good.

Its new Ability is Bad Dreams, which deals 25% HP to sleeping opponents at the end of turn. It's Darkrai's signature ability in the official games, for good reason.

These darker spots that aren't forbidden to us by rocks are dive spots. It's like a weird door in the water that needs a bad move to navigate.

The underwater music is a weird distorted version of the Surf music. It's not its own track, the engine distorts the music. I imagine it sounds interesting with the normal surf music but I'm using Little Fury Things so it just sounds really loving weird.

By the way, there's two pits in the Labyrinth, and this route and those are the only diving spots in the game.

The guy there is an underwater trainer, and he has some sort of worm sticking out of a hole. Lavent is... Lavent. Fire/Dragon.

Dramsama's only sleep-inducing move is Hypnosis, and that accuracy means you're taking a gamble on getting Bad Dreams to work.

Bug report: Bad Dreams displays the afflicted Pokemon's ability name.

Incidentally, Magma Armor halves the time it takes eggs to hatch. Flame Body does the same thing out-of-battle. Lavent, Raptorch, and Archilles are the only things with these abilities, so if you don't pick the fire starter, you have to wait until now to get something with a useful utility ability.

And it's a weird noodle.

This guy gives us this TM after beating him. It's like Psyshock but Water, because why have just Scald as extremely useful moves for water-types?

Snail Time is here and an Escartress now, by the way. Her entire job is to know Dive and Coral Break.

She does a great job.

This coral is indeed breakable with Coral Break. Breaking the coral with Coral Break gives you some items.

Like the four colored shards.

Or fire/water shrimp things. The name is because...

Its evolved form, Krilvolver, is a shrimp holding a gun.

In terms of designs that would never fly in official games, a Shrimp holding a gun probably is not kosher.

Two types and tiny special defense mean Hyper Voice obliterates it.

There's a tiny hole to the surface in the middle of this stuff.

It's to this island. It's not the only grass in the route but it is the only bell in Uranium.

And the only Poison Jab TM, unlike my two Toxics.

Good poison move. Poison guys without Gunk Shot take it, and it's useful coverage for things that really, really despise Fairies. Like My Fursona.

The grass has our own swabone.

Floatzels at a decent rate, and getting this thing to have a baby is a lot faster than the 1% rate at route 3.

And like the name indicates, Stenowatt is sorta here. It has Speed Boost, Tail Glow, and Baton Pass so it's also broken, but it's just so incredibly dull I can't really care.

Trying to go too far south gets us caught between two pirates.

The pirate we beat remembers us, and his ally is surprised that a kid blah blah blah

MORE PIRATES

Using two things that mega evolve at the same time seems like a bad plan, since I only get one a battle, but consider: I don't give a gently caress.

I special attacker with a high power spread move? I am being defeated by my own technique!!

Foul Play is a good for things with low attack, but that's not My Fursona, who is a muscular baphomet of punching.

And then our ninja flunkies (because Dick Solomon is the new Hokage you understand) tell the pirates to gently caress off. Dick Solomon and the ninjas are all on surfboards, by the way.

:smug:

Tsukinami's map space square is a lot bigger than the actual village.

But here's the dock, and... well that's next time.

• Locked thread